- SpongeBob SquarePants
- Sheldon J. Plankton
- Cousin Marvin (debut)
- Mama Plankton (debut)
- French narrator
- Blue whales
- Jellyfish (live-action)
SpongeBob walks in to present an award for the most important living creatures on the planet. After seeing a few nominees, he prepares to award the whales, only to be interrupted by Plankton, who claims his species deserves the prize, after which SpongeBob tells him to prove it.
Plankton begins his speech by discussing plant plankton such as his cousin, Marvin, which make up nearly half the oxygen everyone breathes. He goes on to talk about how plankton are beneficial to many other living creatures. He discusses the planktons' role in the food chain, meaning that no sea life or anything else could exist without it.
Just as the show wraps up, Plankton still has one last thing to talk about. He mentions oil being ancient dead plankton trapped in the rocks. Finally, he states that plankton can even be seen from space, ending on a maniacal laugh chanting "We win!" Then SpongeBob drops the short's title by saying, "Plankton. A thank you would be nice."
- This short was made by Nickelodeon with the association of BBC Earth.
- This is the first SpongeBob project worked on for the BBC.
- Plankton mentions that his species is zooplankton.
- This short was released four years after SpongeBob Comics No. 3 was released, three years after "Are You Happy Now?" and "Planet of the Jellyfish" premiered in Canada, and one year before SpongeBob Comics No. 57 was released.
- This short reveals that Plankton hates penguins.
- This short also reveals that Plankton does not feel too scared of anything bigger than him, for the fact that one can see them in space. Huge amounts of them and that is demonstrated in the episode "Plankton's Army."