"Plankton's Regular" is a SpongeBob SquarePants episode from season six. In this episode, Plankton learns that he has a regular customer who visits the Chum Bucket daily.
Plankton is once again complaining about how he has no customers, with Karen being annoyed by the constant whining. Nat Peterson instantly comes in and asks for a chumstick. Plankton at first thinks he is kidding, then Nat says he was serious, then Plankton gives Nat the chumstick. After Nat eats the chumstick, he says it is so good, he would come back the next day. Plankton is overjoyed at the fact and brags to Karen, who is barely shaken by the fact (A possible clue that Karen is actually paying Nat). Plankton decides to wait with a chumstick for Nat. Eight hours later, Plankton wakes up by the clock and realizes it's closing time and concludes that it was not true that Nat was coming back. However, at that moment, Nat appears. Plankton gives him the chum he had been saving, which Nat thinks is perfect after he looks like it was a very appalling meal. Nat says he will come back the next day and the next week, telling Plankton he has a regular customer on his hands.
At the Krusty Krab
, Mr. Krabs is bowling, using his money as the bowling balls and pins. Plankton appears, and Mr. Krabs tries to squish him with a spoon. Plankton assures Mr. Krabs that he doesn't need to compete with the Krusty Krab anymore since he now has a regular customer. Mr. Krabs laughs at him and shows off all his customers eating Krabby Patties
. Then Nat appears asking Plankton for another Chum Stick in front of Mr. Krabs. Nat carries Plankton back to the Chum Bucket
, with Plankton mocking Mr. Krabs and insulting him. Mr. Krabs explains the situation to SpongeBob and orders him to get Nat to eat food from the Krusty Krab and not at the Chum Bucket. Every attempt is unsuccessful, first when SpongeBob simply shows Nat a Krabby Patty, which Nat immediately doesn't like just by smelling it, secondly, SpongeBob fakes a trip off of a rock holding Nat and
pretending the Krabby Patty is coming straight for his mouth, thirdly, SpongeBob transforms into Karen and pretends to give Nat a chum stick which is a Krabby Patty, he ties up and gags Karen so they won't notice him, fourthly, Mr. Krabs and SpongeBob trick Nat into going into a shortcut leading to the Chum Bucket which really leads to the Krusty Krab, they make chum Nat doesn't like. Mr. Krabs bursts into tears, saying that he cannot afford Plankton to have even just one customer. SpongeBob says that if he wants Nat to eat at the Krusty Krab, he will have to make chum as good as Plankton. This gives Mr. Krabs the idea to steal the chum recipe.
That night, Mr. Krabs sneaks into the Chum Bucket trying to steal Plankton's recipe but Plankton catches him with the spoon security system. SpongeBob then grabs Plankton and starts talking about the irony of the situation, but Plankton then uses the spoon security system on SpongeBob. After Plankton reveals the name of his system, Karen shows, on screen, that Nat is heading for the Chum Bucket with a fortune. Nat comes back telling Plankton that the Chum made him sick twice since Nat only pretended to like the food so Karen would pay him so that
Plankton would stop complaining. Because of this, Plankton feels miserable again and realizes that he never had a regular customer. SpongeBob tells Mr. Krabs to escape, but Mr. Krabs decides to stay and laugh at Plankton's misery. Nat was later took to the hospital and went in a ambulance with ambulance drivers after he becomes sick once again.
|( ‣ ) Associated production music|
|( • ) Original music|
|( ◦ ) SpongeBob music|
‣ Marlin March - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [title card]
‣ Emotion Blues - Francois Fournet, Eric Gemsa [Plankton upset about having no customers]
‣ Nude Sting - Nicolas Carr [Nat asks for a chum stick]
‣ Background Blues - Otto Sieben ["You're kidding, right?"]
‣ On the Beach - Kapono Beamer [Plankton waiting for Nat to come back]
‣ Hawaiian Link (b) - Richard Myhill ["It's closing time."]
‣ Harp Ding - Nicolas Carr [Nat appears]
‣ Background Blues - Otto Sieben [Nat asks for another chumstick]
‣ Fanfare (b) - Nicolas Carr ["It's perfection!"]
‣ Background Blues - Otto Sieben ["How about I have another?"]
‣ Lap Steel - Nicolas Carr ["Oh, my, this is amazing!"]
‣ Verve - Jack Shaindlin ["At last I've got my revenge!"]
‣ The Achterhoek Dances - Jan Rap [at the Krusty Krab]
‣ Drama Link (d) - Hubert Clifford [Plankton appears]
‣ Vibe Q Sting - Nicolas Carr ["What are you talking about?"]
‣ Keel Row - Brian Peters [Krabs laughs]
‣ Background Blues - Otto Sieben [Nat appears]
‣ Wargames Linking Section (d) - Keith Mansfield ["Oh, no! How can this be?"]
‣ ? ["Plankton's trying to overthrow me business."]
‣ Spongeburglar - Nicolas Carr ["Oh, you can count on me, sir."]
‣ The Rake Hornpipe - Robert Alexander White [Nat refuses to eat a Krabby Patty]
‣ Mission Improbable - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony ["There he is... just in time for breakfast."]
‣ Tension Bits - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob tries to get Nat to eat a Krabby Patty]
‣ Steel Licks (d) - Jeremy Wakefield ["From now on, keep those shabby patties to yourself."]
‣ Background Blues - Otto Sieben [Nat goes back to the Chum Bucket]
‣ Goofy Conversation - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony [SpongeBob pretending to be Karen]
‣ Vibe Sting - Nicolas Carr ["A shortcut to the Chum Bucket?"]
‣ Tripping Upstairs - Brian Peters [Krusty Krab chum]
‣ Evil Mind 8 - Dick de Benedictis ["It's... it's..."]
‣ Hawaiian Cocktail - Richard Myhill ["It's the second foulest thing I've ever tasted!"]
‣ Harp Ding - Nicolas Carr [Krabs gets an idea]
‣ Slinky Panther Pants - Nicolas Carr [Krabs tries to steal Plankton's recipe]
‣ Comic Capers (b) - Charlie Brissette, Norman Mamey [alarm goes off]
‣ Wargames Linking Section (g) - Keith Mansfield ["What do you think, Krabs baby?"]
‣ Guerilla Warfare [#21] - Harry Bluestone ["Triple irony, Plankton!"]
‣ Steel Sting - Jeremy Wakefield [Plankton groans]
‣ Wargames Linking Section (f) - Keith Mansfield ["Good thing I sprang for the dual spoon installation."]
‣ Verve - Jack Shaindlin [Karen senses Nat approaching]
‣ Boring Morning - Nicolas Carr, Steve Marston [ending]
- As of May 13, 2017, The Internet Movie Database (IMDB) gives this episode a rating of 7.1/10 based on 116 ratings by users. TV.com users give this episode a rating of 7.9/10 based on 97 votes.
- The title card for this episode is similar to that of "Free Samples."
- This is Nat's largest role to date in the series.
- Nat's first name is revealed in this episode.
- In "Missing Identity," when Nat is at work, they say his name was Peterson. It has now been confirmed that Peterson is his last name.
- Plankton started waiting for Nat at 10:00 A.M. and ended at 5:57 P.M. That's 3 minutes before closing time for both the Chum Bucket and the Krusty Krab.
- When Nat came to the Chum Bucket the second time, he ate two chumsticks, but he only paid for one.
- Mr. Krabs in this episode shows an extreme level of pettiness as he apparently doesn't want Plankton to have even one customer, despite meaning it would save him the grief of stopping Plankton from stealing the patty formula. Meaning he either thinks that Nat not being his customer would ruin his business, or he's so petty he doesn't want Plankton to succeed in any way. Regardless, this further expands Mr. Krabs' evil and cruel nature.
- Karen is proven to be very cruel, as she lied to Plankton and doesn't care that he's sad.
- Running gags: Nat getting chum, SpongeBob and Mr. Krabs trying to get him to eat Krabby Patties, and someone's skin getting peeled off.
- This is one of few episodes to have SpongeBob as a supporting character. Some others are "Squidville," "Band Geeks," "Pineapple Invasion," "Krusty Katering," and "Plankton Retires."
- The first clue that Nat hated Plankton's chum was when the second time Nat came to the Chum Bucket, Nat looked like he hated it, but he lied and said: "It's perfection!"
- The second clue is that he said he doesn't like Krabby Patties and that he doesn't have any friends but in one scene, he can be seen sitting at the Krusty Krab, eating a Krabby Patty with other people.
- The third clue that Nat hated Plankton's Chum was when Mr. Krabs made Nat eat his brand of chum. When Nat ate the new chum, he said that it was the "second foulest thing he had ever tasted," so that might mean that Plankton's chum was the foulest thing he had ever tasted. That also means he hated the Chum Bucket's chum more than the Krusty Krab's chum.
- This also proves that Plankton can't even make chum better than Mr. Krabs, which is the only thing he is good at making.
- This is the first episode to have one of the Bikini Bottomites as one of the main characters.
- This is the second episode where Mr. Krabs steals other formulas. The first is "Best Frenemies."
- This and The SpongeBob SquarePants Movie contradict one another. In both this episode and the first movie, Plankton says he never had a customer, although The SpongeBob SquarePants Movie was made before this and is also set after the series.
- However, Plankton may not have wanted to count Nat as a customer as he was only hired by Karen and did not eat the chum on his own. Also, as the movie takes place in 2030 or 2031, roughly twenty to thirty years after the main events of the series, Plankton may have forgotten about Nat.
- Nat is seen eating chum again in "Chum Bucket Supreme;" however, this time is only because (along with his friend Ivy) he enjoyed saying the slogan "Chum is Fum" despite still being disgusted by the food.
- Part of this episode takes place on Wednesday and Thursday because Nat says that he is coming back the next day and the day after that and the week after that, indicating that the "day after that" part is Saturday.
- This is the second time Krabs attempts to steal Plankton's secret recipe; the first being "The Algae's Always Greener".
- In the game SpongeBob Moves In!, one of the quest arcs involving Plankton is extremely similar to this episode's events.
- At the beginning, when Plankton is crying, he is on the floor. In the next scene, he is on Karen. Also, when he is complaining at the beginning, he rips his skin off, but later, when he's on the floor crying, his skin is back.
- When Plankton looks out the door to see if Nat is coming, the Krusty Krab and its road are missing.
- Nat does not reveal his name to Plankton, but Plankton somehow already knows it.
- It's possible that Plankton heard Nat's name off-screen before this episode.
- The dollar that Nat gave to Plankton disappeared after Nat left.
- When Mr. Krabs was showing his customers to Plankton, Nat was seen in the background as one of Mr. Krabs' customers despite being Plankton's customer. Maybe it's because he was just coming in to get Plankton as he knew Plankton was at the Krusty Krab.
- When Nat goes to smell the Krabby Patty, there is no animation that shows him bending over and after he was wiping his face when SpongeBob got his face greasy.
- When Plankton asks Nat that if he had any friends, Nat said no. However, Nat has been seen with other Bikini Bottomites in other episodes. He could have been lying to Plankton.
- When Karen is shown taped to the wall, there is tape over her screen, which restricts her speech even though she has no mouth.
- When SpongeBob tries feeding Nat the Krabby Patty, the cheese is missing in the next scene.
- It is unknown why Nat didn't just go back out of the Krusty Krab, as soon as he discovered that the shortcut to the Chum Bucket was actually an alternate route to the Krusty Krab.
- When Mr. Krabs is crying, he is on the chum that Nat hated, but when his eyes turn into lightbulbs, the chum is gone.