"Pizza Delivery" is a SpongeBob SquarePants episode from season one. In this episode, SpongeBob and Squidward deliver a pizza.
After getting a call to have a pizza delivered, The Krusty Krab makes its very first pizza delivery. Mr. Krabs decides to have Squidward deliver it. Squidward hesitates and asks why SpongeBob cannot just deliver it by himself. Mr. Krabs who was clearly not listening and declares "Great idea, take him with ya!", so SpongeBob and Squidward go to deliver a pizza.
However, SpongeBob cannot drive, and is still in boating school. When he tries to shift into reverse he ends up "backing up" miles and miles into the middle of nowhere, until their boat runs out of gas whereupon Squidward and SpongeBob become stranded. SpongeBob then suggests delivering the pizza on foot, and they start walking. SpongeBob begins to sing a song about the Krusty Krab Pizza, and how it is the best pizza on the sea floor. after a while,spongebob does a pioneer trick of hearing the ground and hears a truck coming and tries to get its attention, but the driver ends up speeding up instead. Then, they get whirled into a tornado, and Squidward tells SpongeBob to let go of the pizza, but the pizza saves their lives when SpongeBob transforms it into a parachute. But when they land, they land further into the wilderness. Spongebob trys to get squidward to go in the direction the moss is pointing (the first of his "pioneer tricks"), but squidward goes in the other direction, despite there being civilization where the moss was pointing. After a while, spongebob trys hitchhiking, but Squidward has to save him when a truck doesn't stop for him. Squidward tries to get SpongeBob to give him the pizza, but SpongeBob insists "It's for the customer." Squidward has about given up hope when spongebob finds a giant rock and says that pioneers rode them for miles.
Squidward does not believe SpongeBob, but after SpongeBob runs him over in it he hops on and they drive the rock all the way to the customer's house. The customer gets furious that he did not get the Diet Dr. Kelp he says he ordered (which he ordered, but at that time, Mr. Krabs put the phone down) and refuses to take or pay for the pizza. SpongeBob starts crying (and absorbs his tears). Angered that he and Spongebob went through all that nonsense to get the customer his pizza and now he won't pay for it, Squidward bangs on the door and slams the pizza into the customer's face, telling SpongeBob he "ate the whole thing in one bite." After the confrontation, they hop back on the rock and SpongeBob exclaims "We have just enough time to get back to work!" and backs up a short distance to the Krusty Krab, much to Squidward's dismay.
"Pizza Delivery" was written by Sherm Cohen, Aaron Springer, and Peter Burns, with Sean Dempsey serving as animation director. Cohen also functioned as storyboard director, and Springer worked as storyboard artist. The episode originally aired on Nickelodeon in the United States on August 14, 1999.
Series creator Stephen Hillenburg's original idea for the series pitch was that the writers would write a storyboard for a possible episode and pitch it to Nickelodeon. Hillenburg wanted to write an episode with SpongeBob and Squidward on a road trip, inspired by the 1989 film Powwow Highway. Derek Drymon said "It's a road trip movie starring Gary Farmer, who is an innocent, kid-like character who is traveling with a curmudgeon." Eventually, the idea developed while they were working on it, but Hillenburg gave up the idea for the initial pitch. Instead, they used another idea for the pitch which was in the series pilot episode called "Help Wanted". They resurrected the road trip idea during the first season and used a lot of the ideas for "Pizza Delivery".
The last scene showing Squidward saying "Oh, my aching tentacles!" this scene was cut in some countries because viewers thought he said, "Testi----."
|( ‣ ) Associated production music|
|( • ) Original music|
|( ◦ ) SpongeBob music|
• We're Saved - Nicolas Carr [title card]
‣ The Tip Top Polka/The Cliff Polka - Chelmsford Folk Band [opening]
‣ Captain Lenoe's - Michael Arthur, Colin Cater, Mick Graves, The Folk Players, Sarah Graves, Simon Ritchie [customer orders pizza on phone]
• Gator - Steve Belfer [vehicle inspection]
‣ Death Trap - Gregor F. Narholz [SpongeBob backs up]
‣ Stand Boys Stand - Jerry Burnham, Tony Ellis, Stephen Wade ["It's an old pioneer trick."]
‣ Hog Fever (a) - Graham D.H. Preskett [hitchhiking]
‣ On Fire - Gregor F. Narholz [tornado]
‣ Merlin's Hill - Jennifer Jones [harp music]
‣ Action Cut A - Gregor F. Narholz ["Where's the road?"]
‣ Vibe Link (b) - Richard Myhill [moss on rock]
‣ Hawaiian Link (b) - Richard Myhill ["I know where I'm going."]
• The Krusty Krab Pizza - The Krusty Krab Pizza
‣ Funeral March - Otto Sieben [SpongeBob and Squidward exhausted]
‣ Cold Fear - Dick Stephen Walter [SpongeBob refuses to give Squidward the pizza]
‣ Love for Sale A - Peter Fallowell [Squidward tries to tempt SpongeBob]
‣ Death Trap - Gregor F. Narholz ["Wait a second!"]
• Grass Skirt Chase - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Squidward chases SpongeBob]
• We're Saved - Nicolas Carr [SpongeBob dances]
‣ Nostalgic Romance - Gregor F. Narholz ["It's not just a boulder, it's a rock."]
‣ Moloka'i Nui A - Kapono Beamer [pizza delivered to customer]
‣ Stack of Leis - Kapono Beamer [SpongeBob cries]
• Leaf Blower - The Blue Hawaiians [Squidward walks up to the customer's door]
‣ Hilo March - The Hawaiian Serenaders [ending]
"Pizza Delivery" was released on the DVD compilation called SpongeBob SquarePants: Christmas on September 30, 2003. It was also included in SpongeBob SquarePants: The Complete 1st Season DVD released on October 28, 2003. On September 22, 2009, the episode was released on the SpongeBob SquarePants: The First 100 Episodes DVD, alongside all the episodes of seasons one through five.
This episode is available on the Christmas, Complete 1st Season, First 100 Episodes, and SpongeBob, You're Fired! DVDs.
- As of June 10, 2014, The Internet Movie Database (IMDB) gives this episode a rating of 8.4/10 based on 209 ratings by users. TV.com users give this episode a 9/10 based on 285 votes.
- This episode is number twenty on Tom Kenny's Top 20 on iTunes. His description says "The classic setup: SpongeBob and Squidward lost in the desert while delivering a pizza to a customer's home. Squidward just wants to get out of there, but SpongeBob sees his pizza delivery as a sacred oath between himself and the customer. I like when SpongeBob singing to himself - 'The Krusty Krab pizza is the pizza' ...turns into a bizarre gospel jingle singer-'Krusty Kray -ya ya-yaa-aaab!'"
- This episode was voted to be the number one SpongeBob episode of all time by fans in The Ultimate SpongeBob Sponge Bash.
- In fan-voted SpongeBob SquarePants marathons, "Pizza Delivery" was ranked #29 during the Best Day Ever event on November 9–10, 2006 and #1 during The Ultimate SpongeBob SpongeBash event on July 17–19, 2009.
- On November 17–18, 2012, this episode was ranked #1 on the SpongeBob Top 100 Weekend on Nickelodeon Germany.
"Pizza Delivery" received very positive reviews. Nancy Basile of About.com ranked the episode Template:Abbr 2 on her "Best SpongeBob SquarePants Episodes" list. She said Template:Nowrap is the perfect episode to depict SpongeBob's enthusiasm for all things Krusty Krab against Squidward's apathy and cynical nature." Basile cited her favorite scene in the episode where "After the customer slams his door in SpongeBob's face, Squidward makes sure he swallows the pizza 'in one bite.'"
Giving the episode 5 out of 5 stars, Bill Treadway of DVD Verdict said the episode is his "personal favorite all the episodes," writing that "this one is loaded with enough unique twists and hilarious comedy to bear repeat viewings."
Emily Estep of WeGotThisCovered.com ranked the episode Template:Abbr 1 on her "Top 10 Episodes of SpongeBob SquarePants" list, saying "But – the pizza is for the customer, and flawless employee SpongeBob won't let Squidward eat any of it." She wrote "[The episode] has the undervalued nostalgia of being episode five of the entire series and it benefits from the aforementioned chemistry of Spongebob and Squidward." She also praised the episode as "an in-depth look at their [SpongeBob and Squidward] relationship, and it set the tone for just how strange the show could be." Estep lauded the hitchhiking dances by SpongeBob, saying "These moves are amusing and charming, while Squidward's bitterness is easy to relate to." In 2009, "Pizza Delivery" was chosen by viewers on Nick.com as the Template:Abbr 1 episode during a television marathon called "The Ultimate SpongeBob SpongeBash".
- This is the first time a tornado appears. The second time is in "Pineapple Fever."
- This is the first time in which Squidward shows respect for SpongeBob, despite the fact that he does not like him and forcibly attempts to take the pizza from him in this episode as well.
- The scene when SpongeBob and Squidward back up the boat with SpongeBob saying "backing up, backing up" repeatedly has become a popular meme on YouTube.
- The fourth wall breaks; when SpongeBob is in the tornado, everything stops, and he is in midair, when he gasps and says "Squidward..."
- This is the first time the Krusty Krab is shown to sell pizza. The second will be in "I ♥ Dancing."
- Running Gag: SpongeBob singing the Krusty Krab Pizza song and Squidward trying to get the pizza from SpongeBob.
- The episode foreshadows the ending towards the beginning of the episode when Squidward says "It is just around the corner".
- Irony: The customer that ordered the pizza asks SpongeBob, "Didn't you ever once think of the customer?" In which case SpongeBob always tends to the customer.
- This is the first episode where the Krusty Krab served a pizza.
- SpongeBob was called "Jethro" twice in this episode by Squidward. This is a reference to the T.V. show The Beverly Hillbillies.
- Diet Dr. Kelp is a parody of Diet Dr. Pepper.
- The steering wheel in the car is on the right instead of the left, suggesting that the car is British.
- When SpongeBob is running away from Squidward, then hits him and falls on the ground, SpongeBob sits on the ground, missing his hat.
- After Squidward is run over by SpongeBob's rock, his eyes just momentarily become the same color as his skin.
- When SpongeBob is being blown around holding the pizza, the writing was towards him. When they were spit out, the writing was facing away from him.
- When SpongeBob fills up the "pressure" in one of the car's tires, the hub cap disappears.
- The truck driver is voiced by Doug Lawrence, but the end credits mistake him to be voiced by Rodger Bumpass.
- ^ a b SpongeBob SquarePants: The Complete 1st Season. DVD. Paramount Home Entertainment, 2003.
- ^ Script error
- ^ SpongeBob SquarePants : Pizza Delivery; Home Sweet Pineapple. TV Listings. Zap2it. Retrieved on September 2, 2013.
- ^ a b c d e f Heintjes, Tom (September 21, 2012). The Oral History of SpongeBob SquarePants. Hogan's Alley. Retrieved on September 1, 2013.
- ^ SpongeBob SquarePants: Christmas. DVD. Paramount Home Entertainment, 2003.
- ^ Bovberg, Jason (October 6, 2003). SpongeBob Squarepants: Christmas. DVD Talk. Retrieved on September 1, 2013.
- ^ SpongeBob SquarePants - Christmas. TVShowsOnDVD.com. Retrieved on September 1, 2013.
- ^ Bovberg, Jason (October 26, 2003). SpongeBob SquarePants: The Complete First Season. DVD Talk. Retrieved on September 1, 2013.
- ^ SpongeBob SquarePants - Season 1. TVShowsOnDVD.com. Retrieved on September 1, 2013.
- ^ SpongeBob SquarePants: The First 100 Episodes. DVD. Paramount Home Entertainment, 2009.
- ^ Lacey, Gord (September 29, 2009). SpongeBob SquarePants - The First 100 Episodes (Seasons 1-5) Review. TVShowsOnDVD.com. Retrieved on September 1, 2013.
- ^ IMDB rating
- ^ TV.com rating
- ^ Basile, Nancy. Best 'SpongeBob SquarePants' Episodes. About.com. Retrieved on September 1, 2013.
- ^ a b Treadway, Bill (November 10, 2003). SpongeBob SquarePants: The Complete First Season. DVD Verdict. Retrieved on September 1, 2013.
- ^ a b c d e Estep, Emily (December 5, 2011). Top 10 Episodes Of Spongebob Squarepants. WeGotThisCovered.com. Retrieved on September 1, 2013.
- ^ "Pizza Delivery". The Ultimate SpongeBob SpongeBash. July 17–19, 2009. Nickelodeon.