- Gary the Snail
- SpongeBob SquarePants
- Squidward Tentacles
- Abigail Marge
- Harold "Bill" Reginald
- Lonnie (Green)
- Truck Driver
- Patrick Star
- Mrs. Puff
- Debbie Rechid
- Photographer (debut)
- Human students in Mrs. Puff's class
SpongeBob wakes up on the morning of the Boating School Picture Day, very excited. He gets up and he does his routine, which includes "brushing" his teeth with crayons, putting on his socks, and getting dressed. But, as he leaves, a piece of seaweed gets stuck on his shirt. He goes inside, saying it's "no problem," and does his morning routine over again. When he goes back outside, he is dumped in a garbage truck and gets laughed at by Squidward. He then goes back and he does his routine over again for the second time. He leaves, but much more cautious this time. But he has a run-in with teenagers and ketchup. He manages to duck them but is squirted by Old Man Jenkins' ketchup. He goes back home for the second time and redoes his routine. This time, he uses Spongegloss (a pink substance that keeps the user clean, similar to lip gloss) in an effort to stay tidy. As he gets closer to boating school, the sponge gloss gets washed away by a truck full of water. More trucks crash and cover SpongeBob in stamps, oatmeal, and glue.As he is taking another shower for the fourth time, Patrick comes in with a jar full of jelly. Patrick eats it, and then SpongeBob gets an idea. He hides in the jar and successfully gets to Boating School. But Patrick thinks he is jelly and takes him over to the table, where his peanut butter taco is. He dumps SpongeBob on it without knowing. SpongeBob lands in the taco, all dirty again. SpongeBob then sadly reveals the truth to Patrick about why the day for him was important, which it is that someday, he will graduate, and he doesn't want to be remembered as the guy in peanut butter and taco shells. He then bursts into tears.
As he cries, his teacher, Mrs. Puff, comes outside and drags him in kicking and screaming for the picture, despite SpongeBob's protesting. The cameraman sprays him with water to be clean and puts him in a green outfit that is a little small for the picture, but SpongeBob still doesn't smile. To correct it, the photographer puts a huge set of dentures in SpongeBob's mouth and that makes him smile forcefully, and the picture is taken.
The episode ends with SpongeBob looking at the boating school yearbook. He is surrounded by real humans in the yearbook, like in real life, with teeth exactly like SpongeBob's. SpongeBob says, "Look, there I am. Hey. I don't look so bad after all."
|( ‣ ) Associated production music|
|( • ) Original music|
|( ◦ ) SpongeBob music|
‣ Moloka'i Nui (a) - Kapono Beamer [title card]
‣ Hello Blues - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield ["Nice try, alarmy."]
‣ ? - "...picturesque!"
‣ Marching to Honolulu - Kapono Beamer [SpongeBob getting dressed]
‣ Lap Steel - Nicolas Carr [seaweed lands on SpongeBob's chest]
‣ Marching to Honolulu - Kapono Beamer [SpongeBob getting dressed again]
‣ Tension Bits - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [garbage truck]
‣ Marching to Honolulu - Kapono Beamer [getting dressed again]
‣ Desperate Dilemma - Dick Stephen Walter [SpongeBob hides behind garbage can]
‣ Comic Tension (a) - Dick Stephen Walter [SpongeBob goes into town]
‣ Dramatic Cue (g) - Ronald Hanmer [ketchup-filled balloons]
‣ Dramatic Cue (b) - Ronald Hanmer ["Wait, wait, don't squirt!"]
‣ Battle at Sea - Johnny Pearson [SpongeBob hides at a hot dog stand]
‣ Steel Sting (a) - Jeremy Wakefield [ketchup squirted in SpongeBob's face]
‣ Marching to Honolulu - Kapono Beamer ["And now, as an extra precaution..."]
‣ Fanfare (b) - Nicolas Carr [spongegloss]
‣ City Heat - Gerhard Trede [SpongeBob hides in a mailbox]
‣ Towerstreet 17 [#4] - Gerhard Narholz [stamp truck crashes]
‣ On the Beach - Kapono Beamer [SpongeBob bathing]
‣ Seaweed - Steve Belfer [Patrick with jelly jar]
‣ Harp Ding - Nicolas Carr ["That's it!"]
‣ Happy Bells - Jan Rap, Peter Smid [SpongeBob gets inside jar]
‣ Hawaiian Cocktail - Richard Myhill [SpongeBob crying]
‣ Wooden Bear - Gil Flat, Tony Tape, Florian Voelxen [SpongeBob's picture taken]
‣ Tentically Speaking - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [ending]
- This episode is available on the SpongeBob's Atlantis SquarePantis, Season 5 Volume 2, Complete Fifth Season, and First 100 Episode DVDs.
- As of August 17, 2016, The Internet Movie Database (IMDB) gives this episode a rating of 6.8/10 based on 123 ratings by users. TV.com users give this episode a 6.9/10 based on 129 votes.
- Running Gags: A repeated montage of SpongeBob getting ready and SpongeBob keeps getting dirty.
- When SpongeBob leaves his house, a piece of seaweed gets stuck on his shirt. He goes back home to do his morning routine again. There's no point of doing that since it's his shirt that got dirty.
- The inspiration of the episode was from Dani Michaeli, as his daughter was having a bad picture day in preschool.
- In other episodes, SpongeBob's socks already have the lines, but in this episode, he draws them.
- Some of the teenagers appear to be very young.
- The purple kid who tried to squirt ketchup from a bottle onto SpongeBob previously appeared in "Friend or Foe."
- A gag in this episode is that SpongeBob takes a shower with his clothes on. In fact, this is the only time in the entire series when he takes a shower with his clothes on. When Patrick comes in and sees SpongeBob, SpongeBob says "Patrick, a little privacy here." If his clothes are fully on, nothing should be private.
- This is one of the few episodes where Mrs. Puff is nice to SpongeBob.
- The green outfit the Photographer makes SpongeBob put on is a little Lord Fauntleroy outfit, a little boy's outfit of the 1800s.
- At the end, the yearbook is Stephen Hillenburg's high school yearbook, while SpongeBob is covering up his picture.
- There is an online game based on this episode titled Picture Day Disaster.
- This is the 50th episode appearance of Thaddeus.
- On the December 5, 2017 Nicktoons airing of this episode, the Nicktoons logo doesn’t show up.
- The scene where SpongeBob is sprayed with the hose is taken from the Harmony Korine film Julien Donkey Boy.
- The plot in this episode is almost identical to the Disney's Recess episode "One Stayed Clean."
- In the scene when the foghorn alarm clock goes off, Gary's mouth moves, but he isn't heard saying anything.
- When SpongeBob went back inside his house, he painted two more stripes on each sock, and when he put on his pants, his socks each had two stripes, and SpongeBob said, "I'm ready," his socks each had four stripes again.
- When SpongeBob barfs out a garbage bag, Squidward's mouth with no audio moves before abruptly cutting to SpongeBob getting ready for Picture Day again, suggesting Squidward was going to laugh a second time.
- When Harold "Bill" Reginald is hit by a ketchup filled balloon, he is knocked out and claims he is finished. But later when SpongeBob runs to the Hotdog Shop, Harold is seen sitting there eating.
- The old fish missed his hot dog when squirting ketchup on it, but the hot dog already had ketchup.