- Squidward Tentacles
- SpongeBob SquarePants
- Bubble Bass (debut)
- Blue Fred
- An Anchovy
- Jennifer Millie
- Eugene H. Krabs
- Jimmy Gus
- Green Henry-Bart
- Halbert (debut)
- Purple Archie
- Nancy (cameo)
- Tina Fran (cameo)
- Sheldon (cameo)
- Gary the Snail
- Billy (debut)
- Martha Smith (debut)
- Harv (debut)
- Paco (debut)
- Thaddeus (debut)
- Nathiel Waters (debut)
- Ivy (debut)
- Cara (debut)
- Norma Rechid
The episode starts with a normal day at the Krusty Krab, until an overweight bass named Bubble Bass comes along and makes a tricky order. SpongeBob quickly serves him, but Bubble Bass complains about there being no pickles on the patty, much to SpongeBob's horror.
Mr. Krabs takes it out of his pay because Bubble Bass reads the microscopic print below the menu that says "Money Back Guarantee" on it. SpongeBob loses his confidence (and his mind), and cannot remember how to do anything, even to the extent that he made a Krabby Patty with inedible ingredients. Mr. Krabs tells him to go home and get some rest but can’t even remember how to properly get in bed. He has Squidward take over the grill, which leads to disaster, with Squidward burning and ruining all of the food (including milkshakes) and driving away customers.
Mr. Krabs is worried about losing money, so he goes to SpongeBob's house, where everything is mixed up (such as eggs being nailed to the walls). The music and SpongeBob's speech are both mixed up too. Mr. Krabs explains to SpongeBob that if he remembers how to make a Krabby Patty, he will be back in order. It takes days, but SpongeBob eventually learns how to make a Krabby Patty properly again (unintentionally due to believing he could not do it).
He returns to the Krusty Krab, where Bubble Bass confronts him again. SpongeBob serves him his meal confidently, but Bubble Bass announces again that there are no pickles and tells SpongeBob that he has lost again. However, SpongeBob reveals that Bubble Bass has been hiding the pickles under his tongue the whole time to avoid paying (and to possibly make SpongeBob look bad), as well as Suzie's car keys, exposing Bubble Bass of his true colors. Bubble Bass immediately runs away to escape punishment, and Mr. Krabs wants three cheers for SpongeBob's return which everyone does. SpongeBob then wants three cheers for Squidward for taking his place while he was gone. However, the crowd jeers instead of cheers because of how bad Squidward cooked, but SpongeBob assumes they are cheering. The last jeer then goes: "Boo, you stink!" before the episode ends.
|( ‣ ) Associated production music|
|( • ) Original music|
|( ◦ ) SpongeBob music|
‣ The Achterhoek Dances - Jan Rap [Opening/"One crying Johnny uuuuuuup!"/SpongeBob quickly makes 12 Krabby Patties on wheat buns./"Can I get some extra salt?"]
‣ Fight and Chase - Sammy Burdson [Bubble Bass introduced]
‣ The Gunfighter - Franco Micalizzi, Roberto Predagio ["I hear talk you make a mean Krabby Patty."]
‣ Bell Tree [#86.01] - David Arnold ["Here you go!"]
‣ The Eternal Wave - The Langhorns [Bubble Bass eats the patty]
‣ Phantom Train - The Surfdusters ["This is pretty good, only one thing..."]
‣ Action Cut (a) - Gregor F. Narholz ["You forgot the pickles!"]
‣ The Gypsy Violinist - Dick Stephen Walter [SpongeBob looking for the pickles]
‣ Sailor's Waltz - Heinz Matschurat [money back guarantee]
‣ Martial Links - Sam Fonteyn [SpongeBob forgets how to make Krabby Patties]
‣ Dramatic Stabs - John Fox ["The front door is missing!"]
‣ Hawaiian Farewell - George Elliott [SpongeBob at home]
‣ On the Beach - Kapono Beamer [that night]
‣ The Tip Top Polka/The Cliff Polka - Chelmsford Folk Band [burnt Krabby Patties]
‣ Captain Lenoe's - Michael Arthur, Colin Cater, Mick Graves, The Folk Players, Sarah Graves, Simon Ritchie ["I got to get SpongeBob back!"]
‣ Dancing the Hula - Kapono Beamer [played backwards when Mr. Krabs visits SpongeBob]
‣ Chinese Past 2 - Yew Phoon [gong]
‣ Nirvana - Somasundram Yasotha ["If you learn to make a Krabby Patty again..."]
‣ Troop Movement - Sam Fonteyn [several days pass]
‣ The Gunfighter - Franco Micalizzi, Roberto Predagio ["It's time."]
‣ The Stranger in Town - Tony Kinsey [SpongeBob returns to the Krusty Krab]
‣ Bandits - Andy Allan, Martyn Laight [pickles under Bubble Bass' tongue]
‣ Captain Lenoe's - Michael Arthur, Colin Cater, Mick Graves, The Folk Players, Sarah Graves, Simon Ritchie [ending]
- As of June 11, 2016, The Internet Movie Database (IMDB) gives this episode a rating of 8.6/10 based on 192 ratings by users. TV.com users give this episode a rating of 8.6/10 based on 202 votes.
- "Pickles" was ranked #27 during the Best Day Ever event on November 9–10, 2006.
- It is revealed that the Krusty Krab has a "Money Back Guarantee" written on the Galley Grub, only with a literally microscopic font size, probably so they do not notice it and nobody gets their money back, with the exception of Bubble Bass.
- When Bubble Bass is examining the first Krabby Patty SpongeBob serves him and shuffles all the ingredients, each is individually visible. The pickles are, indeed missing.
- When SpongeBob talks to Mr. Krabs, he speaks in improper grammar, then later, he speaks with perfect grammar.
- Before SpongeBob makes the second Krabby Patty, he looks at his reflection in the spatula. In all other episodes his spatula has slits, but here it is solid.
- This episode, "Help Wanted," "Employee of the Month," and "Best Day Ever" are the only four that show SpongeBob's bed is on the right side of his room.
- Despite the fact the Mr. Krabs is terrible at making Krabby Patties, he actually knows the ingredients and if necessary, has the secret formula.
- In this episode, SpongeBob says the ingredients of the Krabby Patty, although he does not mention the secret ingredient. In "Plankton!," SpongeBob also lists the parts of the patty. One theory behind this is that the secret sauce is an ingredient in the secret patty batter, which makes the patties. This is further supported in "Friend or Foe."
- When SpongeBob regains his knowledge of making Krabby Patties, the order of his ingredients is switched around. For example, at the beginning of the episode, he had ketchup and mustard immediately following the patty, but when he unknowingly makes a Krabby Patty correctly in front of Mr. Krabs, the ketchup and mustard are more towards the top.
- It is unknown why Mr. Krabs printed "Money Back Guarantee" in microscopic print on the menu. It is probably because it is illegal not to give refunds, so he wrote it that small so he could keep the money, and avoid being arrested.
- The way SpongeBob messed up the order of ingredients is this:
- Bun, ketchup, mustard.
- Bun, mustard, ketchup, lettuce, mustard.
- Bun, mustard, bun.
- Bun, mustard, bun, ketchup.
- Bun, mustard, bun, ketchup, shoe, mustard, pan, bun
- When SpongeBob asks where his house is, Mr. Krabs points north, even though that way leads to the Chum Bucket.
- The line from this episode, "He burnt my shake!" has become a popular Internet meme.
- Bubble Bass's first order has become a popular internet meme.
- His first order: "I'll take a Double Triple Bossy Deluxe on a raft, 4 x 4 animal style, extra shingles with a shimmy and a squeeze, light axle grease, make it cry, burn it, and let it swim!"
- When SpongeBob is leaving the Krusty Krab after Mr. Krabs shows him the door, he says "Sorry about that, Mr. Krabs. This pickle thing has got my head all messed up." However, his mouth movements do not match up when he says "messed." Instead, SpongeBob was actually supposed to say "screwed up." The original line was most likely removed for being slightly inappropriate. It is a possibility that either Tom Kenny, SpongeBob's voice actor, either did not want to use the word, if not, then the original line was most likely removed for being slightly inappropriate, even though Mr. Krabs said: "And don't screw this one up." in "Culture Shock."
- When Mr. Krabs says "We got Squidward!" the cash register sound is heard, along with Squidward's hand near the register, but there is no customer. However, it is possible he was trying to steal the money from the register, or he was checking to see how much money was in there.
- This marks the first appearance of Bubble Bass. He later appears in "F.U.N.," "Fools in April," "Plankton's Good Eye," and The SpongeBob Movie: Sponge Out of Water. He also appears in the 2008 "Nicktoons" crossover video game, Globs of Doom.
- When Mr. Krabs goes to SpongeBob's house to visit him, the current background music is heard playing reversed or in a different way. Most likely this was to reference SpongeBob's actions after he forgot how to make a Krabby Patty, how he also forgot how to use words in a sentence correctly, and also how his house was "decorated."
- This is the first time Dancing the Hula plays.
- This is the first time SpongeBob calls Mr. Krabs cheap. The next time will be in "Can You Spare a Dime?"
- Glitter appears on the title card. Glitter is also used in the title cards for "Sleepy Time" and "Imitation Krabs."
- In the Polish version of the episode, in the ending, the customer said "Boo! Squidward stinks!" instead of "Boo! You stink!"
- The order for SpongeBob while trying to go to bed was that he said "Mattress, SpongeBob, mattress, sheet, and pillow," he was close, but the real order was Mattress, mattress, pillow, SpongeBob, and sheet.
- In the Latin American version of this episode, SpongeBob mentions "Crab" while preparing the Krabby Patty.
- This episode marks another appearance of the Drive Through Window. When Bubble Bass walks up to the register, it can be seen with a crate in the background.
- This episode premiered on Stephen Hillenburg's 38th birthday.
- This episode takes place after "The Original Fry Cook" because Bubble Bass says, "SquarePants. I hear talk you make a mean Krabby Patty." and "The best there is?" suggesting that SpongeBob is the best at making Krabby Patties, which Jim was known to be in that episode.
- Running gags:
- Bubble Bass throwing Squidward.
- SpongeBob messing up on making Krabby Patties.
- The 'stare off' between Bubble Bass and SpongeBob is a reference to the 1966 Italian film The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly.
- Bubble Bass' initial order consists of actual "Hash-House" jargon (the main exception being "let it swim," an alteration of "let it walk"). When deciphered, his order consisted of a Krabby Patty with 24 mustard-grilled all-beef patties with double toppings, 4 extra cheese slices, extra grilled onions, double extra special sauce, all on stacked lightly buttered toast (in place of buns) to go.
- Bubble Bass orders his Triple Bossy Deluxe in animal style form, which is a reference to the animal style burgers sold by the fast food chain In-N-Out Burger.
- Though a coincidence, Bubble Bass could be possibly based on Bass from the Mega Man video game franchise, in terms of personality and name.
- The closed-captions misspell "Bubble Bass" as "Bubble Bath."
- When SpongeBob is going back to the Krusty Krab, he is wearing his hat. When he looks into the spatula, it is gone. It reappears in all other scenes.
- When SpongeBob looks into the spatula, the spatula has no holes through it. However, in the rest of the scene, his spatula does have holes through it.
- When SpongeBob is trying to remember how to get into bed, he says "Mattress, mattress," but he has three mattresses.
- When SpongeBob says "I'm right here Bubble Bass," SpongeBob's footsteps can be heard, even though he does not take any steps at all.
- When Suzie says "And there's my car keys!" after SpongeBob shows the bottom of Bubble Bass' tongue, there are no car keys visible.
- Although, it was likely they were hidden deeper under Bubble Bass' tongue.
- Also, there are no cars underwater. The underwater equivalents of cars are boats.
- When the fish said, "BOO, you stink!" to Squidward, SpongeBob gave four cheers instead of three.
- When SpongeBob says "roar," closed-caption says, "right." It was fixed on the DVD version. The next error is the same thing.
- When Bubble Bass says "Afraid not," closed-captions says "Free."
- After the fish gasp and the whole school of fish is zooming up, at the bottom center-left a fish is sitting at a table.
- When Mr. Krabs first unrolls the blue mat of Krabby Patty ingredients, the ketchup bottle is significantly smaller than the mustard. After the passage of several days, it is equal to the mustard in size.
- When SpongeBob said, "I got it!," the onions were replaced with cheese, and in the next scene the cheese was replaced with onions.
- When Mr. Krabs says "SpongeBob" when he goes to his home, his white undershirt is missing.
- When Bubble Bass says, "You lose" John does not have a mouth.
- In this episode, on the Galley Grub, Krabby Patty is incorrectly spelled as "Krabby Pattie."
- This error also affects the captions.
- When SpongeBob confronts Bubble Bass at the end of the episode, the Krusty Krab has no tables.
- When Bubble Bass runs from the Krusty Krab at the end of the episode, he is panting. However, his mouth is not open.
- SpongeBob says he cannot make a Double Krabby Patty with the works, but only one patty is used.
- When SpongeBob says, "Bun down, shoe, mustard, pan, bun, noooo!" captions say, "Bun down, shoe, mustard, pan, oh, no."
- When SpongeBob makes the 12 Krabby Patties, Perry and Francis are after John, but when John leaves, Bubble Bass is next.
- Later, when Bubble Bass says, "SquarePants," Francis is eating a Krabby Patty.
- An explanation is that John was ordering for the three. However, Francis was eating alone.
- Later, when Bubble Bass says, "SquarePants," Francis is eating a Krabby Patty.
- When Squidward says "Twelve patties on wheat buns!," for a brief second his neck is layered in front of his mouth.
|Awards and nominations for SpongeBob SquarePants (V • E)
Golden Reel Awards