- Eugene H. Krabs
- Debbie Rechid
- SpongeBob SquarePants
- Harold "Bill" Reginald
- Billy's Mom
- Squidward Tentacles
- Bikini Bottom Construction Company
- Fred (blue)
- Norma Rechid
- Jimmy Gus
- Patrick Star (cameo in photos)
- Gary the Snail
While at a discount store one day, Mr. Krabs finishes up purchasing multiple items. On his way out of the store, Mr. Krabs spots SpongeBob picking something up. Mr. Krabs realizes and assumes he picked up a penny off the ground. Mr. Krabs starts to remember SpongeBob picking up the penny until the store clerk tells him he is holding up the line.
On his way home, he starts complaining how SpongeBob got a free penny, while other people have to work for one. So, he decides to calm himself down, but every time he sees anything circular, he keeps having visions of pennies, and becomes obsessed with getting the penny. The next day at work, he asks SpongeBob if he found anything special, and if he can share it with him, only for SpongeBob to reply that he found a brand new day, not a penny. Once SpongeBob goes into the kitchen, Mr. Krabs asks if he can barrow a penny. SpongeBob says that he doesn't have one. Mr. Krabs then makes SpongeBob check all of his pockets, and shakes him upside down but instead gets SpongeBob's brain out, causing his brain to crawl away. As a result, Mr. Krabs and SpongeBob both chase his brain until SpongeBob is able to capture it.
Later SpongeBob and Squidward hear loud noises, so they go and check what it is, only to see Mr. Krabs building a theater behind the Krusty Krab. Mr. Krabs opens up the movie theater, and makes admission worth a penny, so he will get SpongeBob's penny, but he does not have one, so in frustration, he destroys the theater. Later that night, SpongeBob returns to the Krusty Krab, only to be surprised that Squidward is fancy for the Krusty Krab Semi-Annual Charity Night, a show put on by Mr. Krabs. He goes to his table and Mr. Krabs starts the show. The show, Pennies for the Penny-less, shows how he does not have a penny and needs one. Mr. Krabs says that SpongeBob can end this travesty by donating one penny to him, but SpongeBob still does not have one, as Mr. Krabs breaks.
Later that night, Mr. Krabs spies on SpongeBob as he leaves his house. He breaks into SpongeBob's house with a metal detector to find the penny. SpongeBob comes in and notices Mr. Krabs. Mr. Krabs then explains how he wanted the penny SpongeBob found on the ground and says he is sorry. SpongeBob shows him that it was not a penny, but a dried up piece of gum, for his gum collection. Mr. Krabs leaves and SpongeBob discovers that it was a five hundred dollar bill. Meanwhile, Mr. Krabs is digging for the penny, all over Bikini Bottom.
|( ‣ ) Associated production music|
|( • ) Original music|
|( ◦ ) SpongeBob music|
‣ The Drunken Sailor - Nicolas Carr [title card]
‣ Happy Choo Choo (a) - Otto Sieben [Krabs at the supermarket]
‣ Drunken Sailor (b) - Robin Jeffrey, Tim Laycock [Krabs driving home]
‣ Drama Link (a) - Hubert Clifford ["Okay, okay, get a grip Krabs. Just concentrate on driving."]
‣ Drama Link (k) - Hubert Clifford [Mr. Krabs screams when he thought his steering wheel was a penny]
‣ Drama Link (c) - Hubert Clifford ["Okay, getting all worked up over a little coin."]
‣ Trouble Spot - Van Phillips ["I GOTTA HAVE THAT PENNY!!!"]
‣ The Achterhoek Dances - Jan Rap [the next day at the Krusty Krab]
‣ Sailor's Sting 3 - SpongeBob checking all his pockets
‣ Alien Spacecraft (c) - Gregor F. Narholz [SpongeBob's brain falls out]
‣ Sponge Monger - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob, Krabs chasing the brain]
‣ Steel Sting - Jeremy Wakefield ["Darn."]
‣ Big Show Theme - Robert Sharples [movie theater being built]
‣ Playbill - Wilfred William Burns [grand opening]
‣ The Dreadnought Tea Clipper (b) - Tim Laycock, Robert Alexander White [flipbook]
‣ Abject Terror - Paul Lewis [Krabs screams]
‣ From the Dead - Ronald Hanmer [theater demolished]
‣ Cocktail Lounge - Dick Stephen Walter [Krusty Krab charity night]
‣ Tragic Embrace - Peter Orm, Paul Orm ["Hello, and welcome to a very important evening."]
‣ Unknown Track 32 - slideshow
‣ Beautiful Moonlight Night - Carl Maria Von Weber, George Wilson [Krabs says to donate a penny to him]
‣ Steel Licks (d) - Jeremy Wakefield ["I would like to donate a penny."]
‣ Slinky Panther Pants - Nicolas Carr [Krabs sneaks into SpongeBob's house]
‣ Drama Link (k) - Hubert Clifford ["What is this metal detector doing on the floor?"]
‣ Botany Bay (b) - Robert Alexander White [Krabs apologizes]
‣ Steel Sting (b) - Jeremy Wakefield [shot of dried-up gum]
‣ Drunken Sailor (b) - Robin Jeffrey, Tim Laycock [Krabs leaves]
‣ Steel Link (b) - Jeremy Wakefield [$500 bill]
‣ Steel Sting (a) - Jeremy Wakefield ["This won't go with my chewed up gum collection"]
‣ The Drunken Sailor - Nicolas Carr [ending]
- As of August 14, 2016, The Internet Movie Database (IMDB) gives this episode a rating of 6.4/10 based on 107 ratings by users. TV.com users give this episode a 5.8/10 based on 161 votes.
- The title card for this episode is similar to the title cards from the episodes "Dumped" and "Patrick SmartPants."
- This episode has the same title card music as "Nautical Novice" and these episodes are paired together. This is similar to what happened with "Naughty Nautical Neighbors"/"Boating School," but they have different parts of the music being played.
- Bikini Bottom seems to have a few less buildings than usual in this episode.
- Debbie Rechid is seen as a cashier in this episode.
- The cashier said to Mr. Krabs that his coupons expired over thirty years ago, which means that Mr. Krabs is over 30 years old.
- The plot is similar to "One Krabs Trash" because, in both episodes, Mr. Krabs really wants something that SpongeBob has.
- It is revealed that SpongeBob is a brain whisperer in this episode.
- Mr. Krabs opens a theater right behind the Krusty Krab that shows a single movie inside.
- The movie posters that Krabs had on the wall of the movie theater were "Love," "Scary," "Buddies," "Hero," and "Kids."
- Running Gag: When Mr. Krabs is seen from a distance, people hear dolphin chirps. Billy in the boat with his mother, and two people listening to Mr. Krabs announce the new theater.
- During the Krusty Krab semi-annual charity night, it is unknown how Squidward got up to shine a flash light on Mr. Krabs.
- This is the third out of the five times Mr. Krabs goes crazy just to get one penny. The first was in "Culture Shock" when he smells a penny on a table and takes off like a rocket destroying the table. The second was in "Born Again Krabs" where he almost tore a customer's arm off for one. The third was in "Imitation Krabs" where he chased a penny down the street leaving the Krusty Krab nearly unguarded. Lastly, the fifth time was in "Face Freeze!" where he tossed away a customer and messed up someone's Krabby Patty while looking for a penny.
- Unlike all the other episodes, this episode involves Mr. Krabs going crazy for a penny for almost the entire episode.
- This episode premiered on Rik Mayall's 50th birthday and seven years after the premiere of "No Free Rides" and "I'm Your Biggest Fanatic."
- This episode was going to be part of The Boating School Marathon but was replaced by "New Student Starfish," probably because this episode is not Boating School themed.
- In the German version of this episode, the episode is called Ohne einen Penny, which means "Without a Penny."
- This is Fred's 100th episode appearance.
- When Mr. Krabs shows the images during his presentation at the Krusty Krab, the total value of all the coins he shows is 65 cents.
- The episode title comes from the term, "Penny Wise, Pound Foolish."
- The clerk already scanned a few items inside Mr. Krabs' grocery basket. After she asked for the price check on one item, the other items are inside Mr. Krabs' grocery basket again.
- When Mr. Krabs was looking at SpongeBob picking up a "penny," he was out of the line; though, when he is told by the cashier that he is holding the line, he is right back in line.
- When SpongeBob picks up the crumbled 500 Dollar bill, it's appears to be a penny as Mr. Krabs thought, however, by the end of this episode it's shown to be a crumbled up Dollar.
- Billy (One of Mr. Krabs' old bullies from "Friend or Foe") is shown to be around the same age as he was seen in "Friend or Foe" and appears to not even recognize Mr. Krabs which logically makes no sense.
|Awards and nominations for SpongeBob SquarePants (V • E)