- Patrick Star
- Patrick SmartPants (debut)
- SpongeBob SquarePants
- Duck (mentioned)
- Hermit Krab (mentioned)
- Sheldon J. Plankton
- Squidward Tentacles
- Cornelius Pufferfish (mentioned)
- Sandy Cheeks
- Barnacle (mentioned)
- Gary the Snail (cameo in photo)
SynopsisOne day, SpongeBob and Patrick are jellyfishing at Jellyfish Fields, looking for the many jellyfish to catch. Then, while running, SpongeBob notices that Patrick is running towards a sign that says "DANGER CLIFF" and tries to warn Patrick. Patrick does not pay attention to where he is going, and runs through the wooden sign and off of the cliff (while still trying to read the sign). SpongeBob walks down to to the bottom of the cliff shortly after, hoping to find Patrick, but then discovers the top of Patrick's head. He finds Patrick and screws the head back on.
Suddenly, Patrick's brain starts working in ways it never had before. Patrick seems to be interested in nature, work, and almost any music when he is intelligent. He loses interest in all the things he and SpongeBob enjoyed, and actually has fun with Squidward and Sandy, until driving them both away with his patronizing attitude (he tells Squidward to find himself a new musical mentor because his horrible music annoys him and tells Sandy that she does not have the ability to solve "remedial" equations, causing Sandy to shout "I liked you better when you were a barnacle head!").
Since he is too hard even for them, Patrick wants to have fun with SpongeBob again. He tries many solutions to solve his problem, such as comparing himself with SpongeBob, meditating, doing research on Squidward, reading books about smarts, and even growing hair, but none of these things seem to work.Eventually, he kidnaps SpongeBob and tries doing all of the activities he used to do with him together. When this doesn't work, he tries to redo his actions by running through the wooden sign (which was just repaired) and falling off the cliff again. Patrick, still smart, even after the fall again, finds out that the forehead SpongeBob had found could not possibly have been the original. They both find out that SpongeBob had found brain coral rather than Patrick's forehead. They find Patrick's original forehead and SpongeBob puts it on Patrick (after Patrick decides friendship is more important than intelligence), which makes him back-to-normal again. Then, Patrick starts to burp, and SpongeBob and Patrick make loud, obnoxious noises and start giggling and running off as the episode ends, with SpongeBob happy to have his best friend back.
|( ‣ ) Associated production music|
|( • ) Original music|
|( ◦ ) SpongeBob music|
‣ You're Nice - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [title card]
‣ Chief Taravana - Kapono Beamer [opening]
‣ Dramatic Cue (b) - Ronald Hanmer [Patrick falls off cliff]
‣ Drama Link (d) - Hubert Clifford ["Patrick!"]
‣ Dramatic Cue (c) - Ronald Hanmer ["Let me help you out of there, buddy!"]
‣ Steel Licks (a) - Jeremy Wakefield [Patrick missing the top part of his head]
‣ Steel Licks - Jeremy Wakefield ["Here's your head."]
‣ Maniac Pursuit - Trevor Duncan [gears turning in Patrick's head]
‣ Baroque Cade 14 A Maj F - Marcin Pospieszalski ["Look at them... these graceful, stoic creatures of the deep."]
‣ Earl's Revenge - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield ["Well, let's expand our jellyfish nets!"]
‣ Room at Versailles - Norman John Warren [drawing of jellyfish]
‣ Vibe Q Sting - Nicolas Carr ["Okay..."]
‣ Airs and Graces (a) - Paddy Kingsland [admiring the beauty of nature]
‣ Gator - Steve Belfer [SpongeBob wants to play games]
‣ ? [SpongeBob laughs]
‣ Hawaiian Link (b) - Richard Myhill ["What's wrong with Patrick?"]
‣ Frankenstein's Niece (a) - Gregor F. Narholz [Patrick studying subspecies]
‣ ? - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony [Squidward playing clarinet]
‣ Wooden Bear - Gil Flat, Tony Tape, Florian Voelxen ["I'd recognize that piece anywhere!"]
‣ Steel Sting - Jeremy Wakefield [clarinet mouthpiece covered in saliva]
‣ Hello Blues - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield ["Now that you have some free time, let's get some grub."]
‣ Romantic Ending [#33] - Harry Bluestone, Emil Cadkin ["We're just not compatible anymore."]
‣ Hawaiian Cocktail - Richard Myhill [SpongeBob sad]
‣ Steel Licks (d) - Jeremy Wakefield [Patrick at Sandy's house]
‣ Say it with a Smile (a) - Dick Stephen Walter [math problems]
‣ Say it with a Smile (e) - Dick Stephen Walter ["I liked you better when you were a barnacle head!"]
‣ Kamakani (b) - Kapono Beamer [SpongeBob and Patrick looking at old photo albums]
‣ They're Coming! - Trevor Duncan [Patrick trying to solve the problem]
‣ ? - Nicolas Carr [Patrick meditating]
‣ They're Coming! - Trevor Duncan [Patrick trying to solve the problem]
‣ Steel Licks (b) - Jeremy Wakefield ["Coming."]
‣ Dramatic Impact 3 - Ivor Slaney [Patrick kidnaps SpongeBob]
‣ Hawaiian Adventures SpongeBob Theme - Jeremy Wakefield, Sage Guyton ["Yay!"]
‣ Surf's Up! (a) - Jerry Burnham, Wayne Cook ["Yes, let's have some fun."]
‣ Surfer Baby (a) - Jerry Burnham ["Oh, yeah!"/"Oh, absolutely!"]
‣ Surfer Baby (d) - Jerry Burnham [Riding down a hill]
‣ Steel Sting (j) - Jeremy Wakefield ["When did the fun go away, SpongeBob?"]
‣ Vibe Q Sting - Nicolas Carr ["That's it!"]
‣ Dramatic Cue (d) - Ronald Hanmer [Patrick falls off the cliff again]
‣ Dramatic Cue (a) - Ronald Hanmer ["Hold on, buddy!"]
‣ Lumbering Giant - Paddy Kingsland [SpongeBob looking for Patrick's head]
‣ Steel Sting (h) - Jeremy Wakefield ["I guess we'll never have fun together again."]
‣ Furtive Footsteps - Paddy Kingsland ["You said you found my dislodged cranial cap last time."]
‣ Lap Steel - Nicolas Carr ["Brain coral!"]
‣ Airs and Graces (a) - Paddy Kingsland ["Knowledge can never replace friendship."]
‣ Unknown Track 40 - Nicolas Carr [SpongeBob puts Patrick's old head back on]
‣ Sunny Samoa - Jan Rap [ending]
- This episode is available on the Lost in Time, Season 4 Volume 1, Complete Fourth Season, SpongeBob and Friends: Patrick SquarePants and First 100 Episodes DVDs.
- As of January 29, 2017, The Internet Movie Database (IMDB) gives this episode a rating of 7.8/10 based on 207 ratings by users. TV.com users give this episode a rating of 8.6/10 based on 169 votes.
- "Patrick SmartPants" was ranked #8 during the Best Day Ever event on November 9–10, 2006.
- The title card background for this episode resembles the ones for "Dumped" and "Penny Foolish."
- This episode and its sister episode, "SquidBob TentaclePants," both have titles that make puns of the main character's name, "SpongeBob SquarePants."
- When this episode was shown during the first few times, it had scrolling closed-captions. This was later changed.
- This is the first episode to have Patrick's name in the title.
- As of this episode, every main character has an episode with their name in the title.
- Patrick's brain seems to be bigger than usual in this episode.
- It is also revealed that Sandy's real name is Sandra.
- This episode premiered on Lux Interior's 59th birthday, two years after Battle for Bikini Bottom was released, and one year after Nicktoons Movin' was released.
- SpongeBob and Patrick are seen sandboarding, making this the third appearance of sandboarding in the series. The first appearance was in "Prehibernation Week" and the second was in "I Had an Accident."
- In the episode "Squid's Visit," Patrick says that Squidward only went to his house to take back some stuff that he borrowed, but in this episode, Squidward is at Patrick's house testing his brain fluids. It is most likely that this episode takes place after "Squid's Visit."
- It is also possible Patrick forgot visiting due to getting his original head back as he didn't understand SpongeBob's meaning him being back.
- In Greek, this episode is called "Πατρικ ο Εξυπνάκιας" which means "Patrick the Smart."
- For some unknown reason, the Polish TV guide shows alternative title for this episode, "Abracamoron." However, the title has nothing to do with this episode.
- This episode is also listed as "Patrick SmartPants (FKA Abracamoron)" on Amazon Prime Video. (AKA is also misspelled as FKA)
- This episode reveals SpongeBob is aware that Patrick is an idiot as he agreed with the latter's comment before he got his real head back.
- The episode is similar in plot to the novel Flowers for Algernon, in which the protagonist gains intelligence quickly, but then wishes it gone because of the way others see him.
- Squidward plays a song that Patrick identifies to be titled Cornelius Pufferfish's Opus 67 "Symphony in Blue" - a possible reference to a song of the same name on Kate Bush's album Lionheart. It could also be a reference to George Gershwin's Rhapsody in Blue.
- The first thing Patrick says after having his brain connected is, "I find all this laughter highly illogical," a tribute to Spock's famous phrase on the original Star Trek series (which Paramount also produced).
- The scene where Patrick falls from a cliff is just like the Wile E. Coyote and Road Runner cartoons.
- One of the pictures on Patrick's jellyfish book has the Space Mountain Mission 2 dome.
- The title is a pun on the catchphrase "Smarty Pants."
- Among the many photos in Patrick's book is a parody of Leonardo da Vinci's Vitruvian Man with a starfish replacing the man.
- When Patrick is first shown running away from SpongeBob, his mouth moves like he is laughing but no voice or laughter can be heard from his mouth.
- When Patrick is at Squidward's window, the dots on his forehead turn black for a second.
- In one of the pictures of Patrick's photo album where Patrick and SpongeBob were having a Birthday Party, Patrick's eyelids were pink instead of purple.
- When SpongeBob said "How did you know so much about music?," the closed captions said, "How did you know so much about that?"
- Starfish, in reality, don't actually have brains.
- When Sandy says "Well Patrick, what do you think about this problem?," the closed captions say "Patrick, what do you think about this problem?"
- When Patrick is at Sandy's & changes the equation on the blackboard, the equation turns back into the equation it was before Patrick changed it when Patrick says "Even the simplest of mammals could figure it out with a little thought".
- When Patrick runs off the cliff & asks SpongeBob "Where exactly did find it?", SpongeBob says "Um... it was right here." pointing down to his side. But SpongeBob found the head where Patrick landed after running off the cliff the 2nd time.
|This page uses content from Wikipedia (original • authors). Both Encyclopedia SpongeBobia and Wikipedia are licensed under the CC BY-SA 3.0 Unported license.|