As the protagonists of the show and next door neighbors, SpongeBob SquarePants and Patrick Star thicker as friends than a nail to its finger. Though the two might not be the brightest bulbs in the socket, SpongeBob and Patrick make one heck of a team, though most of the time their wacky antics only serve to land them in deep water without even trying. Though the two are inseparable almost every waking moment, there have been times where the two have not been the closest buds (For example, in Naughty Nautical Neighbors, the two end up in a fight started by Squidward Tentacles.) The list is mentioned below for the number of times the two have fought.
Thickness of Friendship
SpongeBob and Patrick, as revealed in the episode The Secret Box, have been friends since their babyhood. The two have been certified members of the "Best Friends Forever Club" since they were little, and to signify it, have rings of the club. Another reason SpongeBob might be staying with Patrick might be cause of his friend Patrick staying alone. SpongeBob is one of the very few people who don't slyly criticize Patrick for his brainlessness, and instead is the only one who think Patrick is smarter than himself (The reasons he considers him a good advisor). He is also very giving and selfless to Patrick, as there have been times where SpongeBob even lent him his brain without thinking twice. Patrick, though usually emotionless, becomes very sad when SpongeBob befalls some bad fate, and does his best to his extent to help and advice him. In the episode "Home Sweet Pineapple", Patrick allows SpongeBob to sleep in his Rock with him, leave alone the bad results. The two often repent their mistakes after they fight, and usually get bored if one of them is not around, and starts crying.
- Jellyfishing - SpongeBob and Patrick's favorite time pass. SpongeBob has the knowledge and Patrick has more skill, and together they spend a lot of time catching Jellyfish, taking jam, then letting them go.
- Watching Mermaid Man & Barnacle Boy - The two absolutely love the old show, and in the episode "Mermaid Man & Barnacle Boy", the two get their heroes out of retirement, and even love them to the point that they are oblivious to the fact that the newer series on the television is not as interesting They also pretend to be Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy in the same episode.
- Snowball Fighting - In Snowball Effect, the two start a snowball fight, to the point that some of their snowballs go into Squidward's house and break his lime tea and put out the fireplace. However, the two eventually drive Squid into the state that he throws snowballs at no one in particular, shouting battle and victory cries, to which the duo are oblivious.
- Ruining Squid's Day - In Home Sweet Pineapple, SpongeBob, upon learning that his house is actually shrinking, calls squidward in an attempt of vain,to which he asks "Is it time already for you to ruin my day?", and when his Shellphone too shrinks away, Squidward says " Yep, I guess it is!". Patrick, who hears all the commotion, opens his rock and asks, " Hey Sponge, is it time already to ruin Squid's Day? Don't start without me!", and rushes out wearing a suit and a bowtie for the occasion, which hints that the two actually MIGHT not be annoying Squidward innocently.But it is possible that it may be for another cause and they are too stupid to know what are they saying.
- Doing "Good Deeds" - SpongeBob, who constantly does stuff to "Help" people, asks Patrick often for his wise advice, which makes the situation worse.
- Visiting Glove World - On several occasions, the two go to glove world amusement park, usually for heck and/or dangerous rides. In Tunnel of Glove, SpongeBob accidentally ends up in a love boat with Pearl and the ride suddenly stops, while Patrick restlessly looks for, and eventually "Finds SpongeBob"(actually a power device for the tunnel system resembling his best friend, which he breaks away with, causing more trouble and finally getting SpongeBob and Pearl out). However, Patrick is completely oblivious, and gives his "Best Friend" some junk food, insisting him to eat it.
- Eating out and Partying at Goofy Goober's Ice Cream Party Boat - In The SpongeBob SquarePants Movie, they go to a kid's ice cream parlor, where they have goober meals (a burger and a drink) and Triple Gooberberry Sunrise ice creams, and party out with the other kids and hit the stage with Goofy Goober Peanut himself.
- Bubble Blowing - SpongeBob and Patrick are expert( though mostly Patrick has zero talent) bubble blowers.The two have taken the art of blowing bubbles to the level of sending voice messages in them (Naughty Nautical Neighbors) and blowing bubbles in the form of objects or animals (Bubblestand), for which SpongeBob has a technique.In Atlantis SquarePantis, SpongeBob has a high tech bubble soap and a wand for blowing a massive pink bubble, which takes them to the caves of Bikini Bottom.
- Golfing - In A Friendly Game, SpongeBob and Patrick were prepared to go play miniature golf. Unfortunately, their day was ruined by the change in weather. So the two create their own mini-golf course inside SpongeBob's house. Patrick is shown to be very competitive when participating in golf, and has been seen trying to make SpongeBob mess up his aim.
- Arts & Crafts - In The Googly Artiste, SpongeBob and Patrick were seen making a wooden birdhouse, woven baskets and crafts, and rocks with googly eyes. Patrick has difficulty with his rock, so SpongeBob helps him out. A moment later, Patrick makes a googly-eyed rock which is immediately praised by an art critic and the Bikini Bottomites.
Times the two have not been friends or fought
Times the two have not been friends
- In "Naughty Nautical Neighbors", Squidward tries to get SpongeBob and Patrick to be enemies so they will stop bothering him with their messages through bubbles. He decides to send them both bad messages through bubbles that they think are from each other. The two fight and decide that they cannot be friends. They both want to be Squidward's best friend and try to make each other jealous by competing with his friendship. Squidward gets sick of this and invites them both to a dinner party at his house, in an attempt to get them to be friends again, as them being enemies is worse for him than them being friends. At the dinner party, the two blow up Squidward's house with soda bubbles while he is gone, and become friends again, while Squidward kicks them both out of his house.
- In "Fry Cook Games", Patrick, telling SpongeBob that it is easy being a Fry Cook, competes with SpongeBob in the games, becoming the Chum Bucket's fry cook. They fight each other in the wrestling competition, and Mr. Krabs and Plankton try to convince their employees that they are not really friends. They become friends again after they realize that each of them has their underwear in the color of the other, It ends with Mr. Krabs and Plankton yelling at them as they walk off into the sunset.
- In "New Student Starfish", Patrick gets SpongeBob in trouble when he comes to school with him one day. He draws a mean caricature of Mrs. Puff that SpongeBob gets blamed for, gets SpongeBob seat moved to the back of the class, and gets one of SpongeBob's good noodle stars removed. When the two fake-fight in the hallway, Mrs. Puff gives them both detention, where they both insult each other and say that they hate each other, until they see that the light bulb keeping the class pet Roger's egg alive needs to be replaced. They quickly spring into action, SpongeBob holding and protecting the egg while Patrick goes to get light bulbs. Near the ending, after they both save Rodger, Mrs. Puff gives them both good noodle stars and they become friends again.
- In "Patrick SmartPants", Patrick becomes smart and loses interest in the activities he and SpongeBob do together.
- In "Driven to Tears", SpongeBob gets jealous of Patrick for receiving his license and a brand new boat which he shows off to him. SpongeBob tries unsuccessfully to get Patrick arrested for speeding and rips his license in anger, which makes the police blame Patrick for littering and arrest him. Patrick gets put in jail and SpongeBob feels bad, leading to him admitting that he was the one who littered. After paying his debt to society, SpongeBob makes Patrick a plate for his boat. Patrick tells him that he had already thrown his boat away, and it ends with the two playing with each other happily.
- In "The Battle of Bikini Bottom" the two have a fight between clean and dirty, after witnessing a reenactment of "The Battle of Bikini Bottom." They decide that they can't be friends anymore, and SpongeBob tries to stay clean and get Patrick clean as well, with Patrick doing the opposite. They become friends again at the end of the episode, after SpongeBob tells Patrick that they should recall what brings them together and not what divides them.
- In "You Don't Know Sponge", SpongeBob realizes that him and Patrick can't be friends for at least a few days after he sees that Patrick answered every question wrong about SpongeBob on a "best friends quiz" in a Magazine. SpongeBob realizes that it is too hard to not be friends with Patrick and the two become friends again near the end.
- In "Squidward's School for Grown-Ups", Squidward teaches Patrick how to be mature and Patrick ends up being Squidward's best friend, and not liking SpongeBob. When Patrick and Squidward went to "The Famed Bikini Bottom Opera House", SpongeBob sang Patrick an opera song to win him back.
Times when the two have fought but remained friends
- In "Valentine's Day", SpongeBob and Sandy have a Valentine's Day surprise gift planned for Patrick: a giant chocolate balloon. SpongeBob takes Patrick to the carnival while Patrick tries to guess what SpongeBob got him. The balloon's delivery gets delayed due to chocolate-eating scallops attacking Sandy and the balloon. Patrick gets angry, thinking SpongeBob didn't get him a gift, and goes on a rampage, destroying the carnival and frightening all of Bikini Bottom. Standing on a deck at the carnival, Patrick prepares to hurt SpongeBob and other innocent victims, while Sandy arrives with the balloon. SpongeBob and the fish all try to get Patrick to turn around and see the balloon. Patrick refuses to do this, until Sandy greets him. When he sees the balloon, Patrick becomes overjoyed and accidentally pops the balloon, leading SpongeBob and Patrick to get covered with chocolate. At the ending, Patrick tells SpongeBob that he didn't need to get him anything.
- In "Big Pink Loser", Patrick receives an award that is meant for SpongeBob. After discovering that it is not his, and that SpongeBob has received so many awards, Patrick desperately wants to win an award, so he gets a job at the Krusty Krab. After successfully removing a lid from a jar, Patrick decides to copy everything that SpongeBob does exactly, from the clothes SpongeBob wears to repeating everything he says. SpongeBob eventually becomes angry about this and the two run home arguing and yelling at each other, and SpongeBob dresses up like Patrick as revenge for Patrick copying him. Patrick becomes sad and tells SpongeBob that all he wants is to win an award. All of a sudden, a truck drives by, dropping off an award that is meant for Patrick: "for doing absolutely nothing longer than anyone else." The two stop being angry at each other and Patrick goes to "protect his title."
- In "Life of Crime", after they pop a balloon that they believed they borrowed, the two run away from Bikini Bottom. Patrick blames SpongeBob for popping the balloon and thinks he ate his candy bar that he had already eaten. SpongeBob teases Patrick by showing off his candy bar, and the two run to the police office to turn each other in. In the end, Patrick believes that either SpongeBob or one of the police officers ate his lollipop which he had already eaten.
- In "Dumped", SpongeBob is taking Gary home, and tells him to say goodbye to Patrick. This angers Patrick, who tells SpongeBob that he needs to let Gary choose who he wants to stay with. SpongeBob is upset when Gary chooses Patrick over him.
- In "Pranks a Lot", the two fight for who gets the invisible spray first, and instead spray each other's body parts invisible. This is a very loose argument however and they still remain friends, terrorizing all of Bikini Bottom.
- In "Waiting" SpongeBob briefly yells at Patrick while he is waiting.
- In "Stuck in the Wringer", SpongeBob scolded Patrick for getting him stuck in the Wringer, and for not helping him at all (and also blinded by the point that Patrick tried to help, but SpongeBob was blinded by his general stupidity), Patrick runs off crying and all the Bikini Bottomites turn on SpongeBob telling him that he deserved what he gotten, sending SpongeBob in deep depression. SpongeBob and Patrick become friends again in the end where they cry together, melting the forever glue.
- In "Sand Castles in the Sand' Spongebob and Patrick destroy each others sand castles over and over until eventually they realize that this was stupid and they went to far.
- In "A Friendly Game, SpongeBob and Patrick fight throughout the entire episode, during their game of "indoor miniature golf."