- Patrick Star
- Patrick Man (debut)
- SpongeBob SquarePants
- Gary the Snail (cameo)
- Eugene H. Krabs
- Squidward Tentacles
- Mrs. Puff
- Harold "Bill" Reginald (cameo)
- Nat Peterson (cameo)
- Dirty Bubble
- Nicholas Withers (cameo)
- Mermaid Man (cameo)
- Barnacle Boy (cameo)
- Man Ray (cameo)
- Officer John Slugfish
- Thaddeus (cameo)
SynopsisAt home, SpongeBob is feeding Gary and is ready to go to work. When he opens the door, he finds Patrick looking sad, and he runs in and starts crying on SpongeBob's couch. SpongeBob wants to know why Patrick is sad, which, Patrick says that SpongeBob is wearing his Krusty Krab hat which means SpongeBob is going to work. Patrick wants a "special happy worky place" as well. SpongeBob asks Patrick what he likes to do, but all Patrick can think of is "sand." SpongeBob asks Patrick to think about something else and he runs out the door leaving for the Krusty Krab. Meanwhile, Patrick is trying to think about something but his head explodes when he thinks too hard. Patrick then sits down and watches the television but only flips through channels. He then stops on a channel with Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy with them defeating Man Ray. Patrick turns off the television set and wonders what to do with his life. He then steps on a Mermaid Man doll saying "FIGHT EVIL" and Patrick gets an idea: become a superhero! Patrick then goes through a series of steps including putting his underpants over his pants, barely putting on a belt, putting an ice cream cone on his head, and smearing Sea-Nut Butter on his belly of a backward "P," thus, Patrick-Man is born. Patrick-Man then runs out of SpongeBob's house (with him also tripping on a rock but then runs again).
Meanwhile, at the Krusty Krab, Mr. Krabs is angry with Squidward for doing nothing. Squidward then points out the empty dining room. Mr. Krabs is worried but then, Patrick-Man enters the Krusty Krab. Mr. Krabs is excited to see Patrick but he tells him that he is Patrick-Man. Squidward then jokes about Patrick's outfit, in which, he and Mr. Krabs laugh at him. SpongeBob joins in on the laughter then asks Patrick about his fancy clothes. Patrick explains to SpongeBob that he has found his calling and is now "Patrick-Man." SpongeBob is excited and thinks about telling everyone else but Patrick-Man tells him that his identity must remain a secret. Patrick-Man then starts to head off but returns holding money wanting to buy a Krabby Patty.
At the Bikini Bottom High School, two students show off their papers both making "A's." Patrick-Man overhears them laughing and when they are about to give each other a "high-five," Patrick-Man gets in between them (also getting smacked in the process). Patrick-Man then tells the students that violence solves nothing, thinking they were about to fight. One of the students tries to explain to him that they were only giving each other a high-five, but Patrick-Man cuts him off then dashes off. The scene changes over to Mr. Krabs about to walk Mable across the street. However, Mr. Krabs spots a dollar on the ground but then it gets blown away to the other side of the street. Mr. Krabs leaves Mable on the street to go after the dollar with her trapped by the driving cars. Mr. Krabs goes to pick up the dollar but Patrick-Man stops him thinking he was stealing the dollar. Mr. Krabs tries to explain to him that he found the dollar but Patrick-Man does not believe him, he puts the dollar back on the ground, and "flies" off again. Mable then comes and picks up the dollar saying how this is her "lucky day." Patrick-Man is then seen eating old donuts from the dumpster at Flipper's Donuts. He hears a cry of help, after finishing his donuts, he goes into action. Patrick-Man arrives at Mrs. Puff's Boating School and spots Mrs. Puff trying to get the door off a boat (with Nat Peterson inside). He thinks Mrs. Puff is trying to break into the boat and then throws a net over her. Mrs. Puff tries to explain that she was only trying to help get the door open to help get Nat out. Patrick-Man does not believe her, writes down something on paper, and places it on her. He then crawls away when Officer John and the other police officers come to arrest Mrs. Puff (after reading the note saying "Kops!! this is Bote THEEF" from Patrick-Man) for trying to steal a boat. As she is being driven away, Mrs. Puff is furious at Patrick-Man with her being charged with a felony with Nat still in the boat saying, "Help."
Back at the Krusty Krab, SpongeBob is serving a Krabby Patty to Harold. Harold then says that he hopes Patrick-Man will not take that one away. A woman says that he drank her shake thinking it was part of something evil. SpongeBob gets a bit upset saying how Patrick is taking things too far then spots him crawling across the floor. SpongeBob asks him what he is doing but Patrick-Man responds by saying how he is going to unmask one of Bikini Bottom's foes thinking he is somewhere in the Krusty Krab and holds out a note thinking he intercepted a scheme. SpongeBob says it is just a recipe for toasted coral bits and tells Patrick that he is going a bit overboard with his superhero persona. Patrick-Man is upset and jumps off into the dining room hoping to find out where the villain is. He first pulls on Fred's face to no success. He grabs at two more customer's faces but causes them to leave. Mr. Krabs is extremely upset so he grabs Patrick-Man, but he grabs at Mable's head actually pulling it off, revealing the Dirty Bubble (Patrick-Man was actually hoping to unmask Man Ray).
Dirty Bubble tells them how they have blown his cover and then threatens to attack them. SpongeBob wants to know what to do next, then Patrick-Man says how he is going to use his superpowers. Patrick-Man then throws a barrel at the Dirty Bubble but it just goes through him or right past him and accidentally hits Squidward. The Dirty Bubble laughs at him and Patrick-Man then throws more items at him all to no success (and destroying the inside of the Krusty Krab in the process). Running out of things to throw, Patrick-Man then throws SpongeBob at the Dirty Bubble but he ends up eating SpongeBob. Mr. Krabs scolds at Patrick-Man saying if he is going to go after the Dirty Bubble now. Patrick-Man then uses his Pit Punch at the Dirty Bubble but he ends up eating it and hitting SpongeBob.
The Dirty Bubble then decides to charge at Patrick-Man but Patrick-Man spots a Krabby Patty on the ground and bends over with his ice cream cone hat popping the Dirty Bubble and freeing SpongeBob. SpongeBob asks for Patrick-Man's autograph and he signs it. SpongeBob then asks what his next adventure is but Patrick-Man takes off his ice cream cone hat turning back into regular Patrick again saying he is retiring stating that having a job is too much work. Mr. Krabs then asks Patrick to use his "powers" one last time and he hands him a broom and dustpan. Patrick is confused saying, "What's this?"
When this episode was released, this was a posthumous release for Ernest Borgnine, who voiced Mermaid Man.
|( ‣ ) Associated production music|
|( • ) Original music|
|( ◦ ) SpongeBob music|
‣ Clownfish Capers - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [title card]
‣ Hot Steel and Slide Licks (i) - Jeremy Wakefield [Patrick at the door, crying]
‣ Cartoon Sting 9 - Barry Anthony ["You know what's sad?"]
‣ Clowning Around - Barry Anthony [SpongeBob goes to work]
‣ Squidward's Tiki Land - Aaron Springer, Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Patrick turns on the TV]
‣ Super Highway March - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony [Marine Dolphins]
‣ Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy Action Theme - Michael Bolger, Nicolas Carr, Pat Irwin [Man Ray in display case]
‣ Proud to be a Fish - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony ["All in a day's work, eh, Mermaid Man?"]
‣ Lap Steel - Nicolas Carr ["That's it!"]
‣ Mermaid Man Sting - Nicolas Carr ["To the changing room!"]
‣ Heroes to the Rescue - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony ["I am Patrick-Man, defender of Bikini Bottom!"]
‣ Sailor's Sting 9 - Michael Bolger, Nicolas Carr [at the Krusty Krab]
‣ Heroes to the Rescue - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony ["Fear not! Patrick-Man is here!"]
‣ Vibe Q Sting - Nicolas Carr ["Patrick-Man?"]
‣ Sailor's Sting 7 - Michael Bolger, Nicolas Carr [Squidward makes fun of Patrick's outfit]
‣ Heroes to the Rescue - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony ["I am... Patrick-Man!"/"Shush SpongeBob! My identity must be kept secret!"]
‣ Hot Steel and Slide Licks (f) - Jeremy Wakefield [Patrick asks for a Krabby Patty]
‣ Unknown Track 5 - high school
‣ Mission Improbable - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony ["High five!"]
‣ Heroes to the Rescue - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony ["Just remember this: Violence solves nothing!"]
‣ Vibe Sting - Nicolas Carr ["Violence?"]
‣ Heroes to the Rescue - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony ["No time for silly talk, citizen."]
‣ Hot Steel and Slide Licks (s) - Jeremy Wakefield [Patrick runs off]
‣ Sailor's Sting 10 - Michael Bolger, Nicolas Carr ["Please, ma'am, allow me."]
‣ Nude Sting - Nicolas Carr [Krabs sees a dollar on the ground]
‣ Sailor's Sting 10 - Michael Bolger, Nicolas Carr ["Oh, sweet dollar!"]
‣ Heroes to the Rescue - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony ["Halt! Patrick-Man is onto you!"]
‣ Hot Steel and Slide Licks (t) - Jeremy Wakefield [old lady picks up the dollar]
‣ Detective Dynamite - Veigar Margeirsson ["Sounds like another job for Patrick-Man!"]
‣ Lap Steel - Nicolas Carr ["Away!"]
‣ Bikini Bottom Police - Nicolas Carr [cops]
‣ Sailor's Sting 4 - Michael Bolger, Nicolas Carr [back at the Krusty Krab]
‣ Hot Steel and Slide Licks (k) - Jeremy Wakefield ["Hey, that's Patrick-Man to you."]
‣ Short Military Bridge - Nicolas Carr [recipe for toasted coral bits]
‣ Gypsy Jazz March - Sam Spence [Patrick gets stuck in the ordering window]
‣ Sailor's Sting 15 - Michael Bolger, Nicolas Carr ["WHAT?!"]
‣ Tension Bits - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield ["Oh, dear..."]
‣ Chasey Racey - Norman Dane [Dirty Bubble revealed]
‣ Heroes to the Rescue - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony [everyone cheers]
‣ Hot Steel and Slide Licks (r) - Jeremy Wakefield [ending]
- This episode is available on the Heroes in Action, The Adventures of SpongeBob SquarePants, and The Complete Ninth Season DVDs.
- As of September 26, 2017, The Internet Movie Database (IMDB) gives this episode a rating of 7.6/10 based on 90 ratings by users. TV.com users give this episode a rating of 7.1/10 based on 32 votes.
- Running gags: Patrick blaming fish for doing illegal things when what the fish were doing was legal, and Mable turning her head awkwardly.
- Irony: Patrick-Man falsely accuses Mr. Krabs and Mrs. Puff of stealing, when he could have just freed Mable from the traffic and Nat from his car.
- This episode marks the third appearance of Bikini Bottom High School.
- Nicholas Withers, Mermaid Man, Barnacle Boy, and Man Ray all appear on SpongeBob's TV when Patrick comes to SpongeBob's house for help.
- This is the last episode produced before Ernest Borgnine's death.
- This is the last speaking role for both Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy since Ernest Borgnine died on July 8, 2012.
- This is the first appearance of Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy in Season 9 and the only time Ernest Borgnine voices Mermaid Man in Season 9.
- The name Patrick-Man is similar to the name Starfishman, another one of Patrick's alter-egos from the video game Creature from the Krusty Krab.
- When Mr. Krabs carries off Patrick, it is similar to how he is carried off by Orin J. Ruffy in "The Great Patty Caper."
- The way Patrick-Man defeats the Dirty Bubble is a reference to the ending of "Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy II."
- This episode premiered eight years after The SpongeBob SquarePants Movie video game was released.
- This episode premiered in Canada on Johnny Knoxville's 42nd birthday and eight years after The SpongeBob SquarePants Movie was released in Austria.
- This episode was paired with "Patrick! The Game" on June 5, 2016 on the Arabic Dub airing.
- The scene when Patrick pulls the underwear out of his pants and the scene with the first TV show are cut in some regions because it is a bit inappropriate in some regions.
- This episode premiered after "The Sewers of Bikini Bottom" aired in the UK.
- This episode sometimes airs with "Patrick! The Game."
- On the October 30, 2016 airing, the sister episode is absent and the closing credits for this and the sister episode are shown at the ending.
- This is the fifth episode to have a German dub version with the exact same name as the English version. The first episode is "Plankton!," the second is "F.U.N.," the third is "Texas," and the fourth is "Club SpongeBob."
- In Croatian dub, the episode's title is "Super Patrick."
- Patrick trying to unmask people (with him eventually unmasking Mabel revealing the Dirty Bubble) is a parody of the villain unmaskings from the Scooby Doo series.
- Patrick-Man is an obvious parody of Superman.
- Even the title card for this episode has the main colors for Superman: red, blue, and yellow.
- Harold is not seen wearing a shirt when SpongeBob serves him the Krabby Patty. In the next shot, Harold is seen wearing a shirt. It is impossible for him to have put the shirt on in the next shot.
- Mr. Krabs looks up before the dollar blows away.
- Patrick Man's backward "P" is missing when he first appears in the kitchen. Splinters are in place of it instead.