"Patrick's Coupon" is a SpongeBob SquarePants episode from season ten. In this episode, when Patrick finds out that his free ice cream coupon is expired, he has to go to the Ice Cream King for a chance to get a free ice cream regardless of expiration.
The episode begins with Patrick freaking out over a sea spider, he is seen trying to climb a chandelier but it crumbles because of the sand, he is then wrapped into a web then flinged. He crashes into a chair and finds a coupon for free ice cream under the chair. He leaves his rock and finds SpongeBob. Patrick tells him that he will buy SpongeBob an ice cream using his coupon. When he finds out that SpongeBob already has an ice cream, he throws it on the ground and tells him that he would buy a new one.
Patrick goes out to get the ice cream but is caught by Mr. Krabs' crane and Mr. Krabs says he felt the presence of something free. Mr. Krabs tries to con Patrick out of the coupon and nearly succeeds in obtaining it from the gullible sea star in exchange for a handshake but Squidward intervenes admonishing his boss for taking advantage of Patrick's naïve nature. A defeated Mr. Krabs walks off as Patrick is angry at Squidward for stopping his deal but Squidward releases Patrick from the crane and leaves telling Patrick that Mr. Krabs was really trying to steal his coupon.
Hearing this, Patrick becomes paranoid and believes that everyone is after his coupon causing him to run around the town getting caught in various situations like being stomped on and being attacked by toddlers until he falls off a cliff ending up in ice cream land.
At the park, Patrick orders a large amazing ice cream sundae and tries to sample it before giving it to SpongeBob. However, the ice cream coupon is out of date causing Patrick to throw a tantrum resulting in him being kicked out by one of the staff employees.
Outside the park, the employee tells Patrick if he wants to redeem his coupon he would have to go to the Ice Cream King who lives at the top of the hill outside the park.
Patrick goes to see the King who is revealed to be a starfish as clueless as him (so much that all the coupons are expired as he doesn't know the year). The Ice Cream King makes Patrick a deal, if he were to beat him in competition he would redeem the coupon and give Patrick the free ice cream. The two engage in series of meaningless contests, including hair growing and ice-cream cone boxing which ends with Patrick obtaining victory over the Ice Cream King who agrees to honor the coupon.
However, he gives Patrick a cone out of his armpit with the ice cream coming out hairy to Patrick's surprise and disgust.
Patrick returns to SpongeBob saying he wanted to give SpongeBob an ice cream but it melted so he got him a hearty-handshake (using Mr. Krabs' arm). However, SpongeBob lifts his dejected friend's spirits by showing he obtained a better looking Ice Cream (similar to the one Patrick tried to get earlier) and the two friends proceed to dine on the ice cream.
The episode name was confirmed in a tweet by Vincent Waller on November 12, 2016.
|( ‣ ) Associated production music|
|( • ) Original music|
|( ◦ ) SpongeBob music|
‣ You're Nice - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Title card.]
‣ Pell-Mell - Sam Spence [Sea spider at Patrick's house.]
‣ Unknown Track 45 - Nicolas Carr ["Oh boy, here it is!"]
‣ Unknown Track 46 - Nicolas Carr ["You have fought well today, sea spider."]
‣ Vibe Q Sting - Nicolas Carr ["Hmm..."]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks (a) - Jeremy Wakefield [Patrick sees a photo of him and SpongeBob.]
‣ Skipping to School - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob with ice cream.]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks (b) - Jeremy Wakefield ["Because I'm a nice guy!"]
‣ Sailor's Sting 9 - Michael Bolger, Nicolas Carr [Krabs tries to take Patrick's coupon.]
‣ Cartoon Sting 4 - Squidward scolds Krabs for taking advantage of Patrick.
‣ Unknown Track 48 - Patrick walks away nervously.
‣ They're Coming! - Trevor Duncan [Patrick thinks everyone wants his coupon.]
‣ Bikini Bottom Police - Nicolas Carr [Cop at cafe.]
‣ Sponge Monger - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Patrick runs away.]
‣ Curtain-Raiser - Alan Braden [Patrick hides on sidewalk of stars.]
‣ Rainbow Delights - Magnum Opus [Patrick sees the ice cream store and enters.]
‣ Picnic in the Park - John Rhodes [Patrick orders an ice cream for SpongeBob.]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks (h) - Jeremy Wakefield [The coupon expired two years ago.]
‣ Murder Scene Sting [#60] - Tony Kinsey [Patrick gets angry.]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks (j) - Jeremy Wakefield [Patrick's kicked out of the store.]
‣ Drama Link (d) - Hubert Clifford [Closeup of Patrick laying on the ground.]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks (w) - Jeremy Wakefield ["Continue and bump it up a little bit."]
‣ Spellweaver - Magnum Opus [Janitor tells Patrick about the ice cream king.]
‣ Hot Steel and Slide Licks (g) - Jeremy Wakefield [Patrick runs up the mountain.]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks (m) - Jeremy Wakefield [Patrick reachs the mansion.]
‣ Vault of Secrets - Magnum Opus [Ice cream king grabs Patrick.]
‣ Goofy Conversation - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony [Patrick meets the Ice Cream King]
‣ Parting of the Clouds - Nicolas Carr ["Poog Ydlabrag: The King's Challenge!"]
‣ Fanfare (b) - Nicolas Carr ["Poog Ydlabrag: The King's Challenge!"]
‣ Pomp and Glory - Sam Spence [Patrick and the ice cream king doing a hair growing contest.]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks (f) - Jeremy Wakefield ["That's sad."]
‣ Pomp and Glory - Sam Spence ["Watch this!"]
‣ Variety Link (d) - Dick Walter [Ice cream's king eyebrows grow.]
‣ Timpani Opener March - Sam Spence [Patrick struggles to grow more hair/"Not so fast!"]
‣ Nude Sting - Nicolas Carr [Armpit hair.]
‣ Unknown Track 46 - Nicolas Carr [Patrick and the ice cream king wearing ice cream suits.]
‣ Retro Cool 03 095 D - Steve Sechi [Sparring match between Patrick and the ice cream king.]
‣ Unknown Track 46 - Nicolas Carr ["You have played with skill and courage."]
‣ Hot Steel and Slide Licks - Jeremy Wakefield ["One free ice cream cone!"]
‣ Bikini Bottom Bound - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Ending.]
- As of September 24, 2017, The Internet Movie Database (IMDB) gives this episode a rating of 5.0/10 based on 47 ratings by users. TV.com users give this episode a rating of 6.5/10 based on 3 votes.
- After "Help Wanted," "Procrastination," "Tea at the Treedome," "Karate Choppers," "Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy," "Band Geeks" and "Valentine's Day"
- Before "Home Sweet Pineapple", "Naughty Nautical Neighbors", "The Paper", "The Fish Bowl", "Sandy's Nutmare", and "Bubblestand"
- There are 39 ice cream cones on the title card.
- SpongeBob has very few lines in this episode, as little as eight, in fact, and only appears in two scenes: after Patrick comes out of his rock and in the final scene.
- Squidward is abnormally nice in this episode by standing up for Patrick when Mr. Krabs is about to scam him as well as telling him about Krabs' intentions.
- When Patrick tells Mr. Krabs that SpongeBob loves handshakes, this may be a reference to "Valentine's Day."
- This is the third time SpongeBob and Patrick indulge in massive quantities of ice cream, the first being The SpongeBob SquarePants Movie and the second being "Atlantis SquarePantis."
- Nancy Suzy Fish makes a reference to SpongeBob SquarePants being a cartoon and slightly breaks the fourth wall when she says "Looks like some sort of kids cartoon."
- Patrick using cups as glasses to read the coupon is similar to him using cups as glasses in "Idiot Box."
- This episode reunites Tom Kenny and Peter Browngardt, who are known working on the Cartoon Network series Uncle Grandpa.
- Patrick's fear of spiders from "Home Sweet Pineapple," "The Pink Purloiner," and "Life Insurance" returns.
- The is the first episode to have a "The End" screen since "Planet of the Jellyfish."
- This episode premiered 12 years after The SpongeBob SquarePants Movie was released in Norway, three years after the premiere of "Skill Crane" and "Good Neighbors" in Poland, two years after SpongeBob Comics Annual-Size Super-Giant Swimtacular #3 was released, and one year after the premiere of "Patrick! The Game" and "The Sewers of Bikini Bottom."
- In the German dub, this episode is titled "Patricks Coupon," without the apostrophe. This makes the title card of the German dub almost identical to the original English dub.
- The inside of the Ice Cream store in this episode is a reference to the film (based on a book) Willy Wonka & The Chocolate Factory. The design is extremely similar, even having the chocolate "river" from the movie, as well as an eccentric owner.