"Party Pooper Pants" is a SpongeBob SquarePants episode from season three. In this episode, SpongeBob throws a party.
Patchy organizes a house party, and all the guests come except for SpongeBob himself, who can't understand what's written on the invitation because it was destroyed by the water, so ironically, he and Patrick throw it in the fire. Patchy then introduces us to his special guests including a live action King Neptune, Minnie Mermaid and Long-Beard the Pirate.
In Bikini Bottom, while shopping at the Barg 'N-Mart, SpongeBob finds a "Plan Your Own Party Kit," and decides to throw a party using the kit. Despite the kit advising to invite "only your closest friends," SpongeBob invites nearly everyone in Bikini Bottom. SpongeBob wants the party to go accordingly to plan, so he decides to make sure things go in order. He makes a brutally specific schedule for different activities (including when the guests arrive) and cards for people to use for conversations.
In the second live-action segment, Patchy decides to have a dance lesson and promotes his dance instruction videos
. Before Patchy can teach his friends how to dance, a band that Potty has hired for the party arrives. Patchy asks Potty who he got and Potty says it's his favorite band, "The Bird Brains." Everybody loves the Birdbrain's music, but Patchy hates it because it is too loud and it blasts him out of his house. Patchy then tells them it's time for them to literally walk the plank. Unfortunately, he forgets that they're birds and can easily fly off.
Back in Bikini Bottom, later that night, all the guests arrive at different times. SpongeBob hands them all the topic cards, which causes an awkward environment. After the last guest arrives, SpongeBob goes into the closet. After a while, SpongeBob sees everybody having fun and starts to panic. He stops all the fun and music, and brings them all to the couch to do one of the scheduled events; reading aloud from the funnies. Unfortunately, he finds out the paper he's reading is yesterday's paper and leaves to get today's paper.
While going out to get today's paper, SpongeBob accidentally locks himself out of his house (though it's likely the guests locked him out for ruining their fun), allowing the guests to have fun again. He misinterprets this and believes everything is falling apart.
After continually trying to get into his house using different methods and failing quite horribly, SpongeBob, at wit's end, grabs a pickaxe and attempts to break in while dressed as a bunny. The police find him and place him under arrest, but when SpongeBob explains everything, they don't arrest him. However, the police end up to make him miss the entire party by arresting him for not inviting them.
The next morning, when he gets back from jail, he is depressed and defeated because his party failed until Patrick comes and tells him that it was the greatest party all of them has ever been to and that he should do exactly the same thing next weekend. SpongeBob smiles gladly and becomes proud and finds Gary wearing a lamp. The episode ends as SpongeBob turns off the lamp.
For the final live-action segment, Patchy attempts to remedy the music situation by performing his own (horrible) song with a one-man band, and Potty tells Patchy that it is time for his flute solo. Patchy starts playing but soon realizes that he plays a fife, not a flute and that the "flute" is actually dynamite. It explodes, leaving only his head intact. The Birdbrains then have the opportunity to play music, singing their new song, "Underwater Sun." After they finish, Patchy returns to end the show, with a barrel for a body being kissed by girl parrots. Potty then says "goodbye" to the audience.
|( ‣ ) Associated production music|
|( • ) Original music|
|( ◦ ) SpongeBob music|
‣ A Pirate's Life for Me (a) - Ron Goodwin ["House Party" intro]
‣ Bird Lady from Ghost Town - The Mel-Tones [Patchy's party]
‣ Honolulu March - Hans Haider ["Party Pooper Pants" title card]
‣ Penthouse Party - Bruce Campbell ["Ah, the Barg'N-Mart."]
‣ Hit and Run - Ralph Dollimore [SpongeBob shopping]
‣ Fashion Note - Lillian Munsie [book of records]
‣ Me for You - George Callert [SpongeBob planning his party]
‣ Bird Lady from Ghost Town - The Mel-Tones [Patchy reappears]
‣ When Daylight Shines/Captain Lenoe's - Michael Arthur, Colin Cater, Mick Graves, The Folk Players, Sarah Graves, Simon Ritchie [peg-legged dance of happiness]
◦ Bird Brains - Peter Straus
‣ The Girl I Left Behind Me - Brian Peters [walking the plank]
‣ Hawaiian Link (b) - Richard Myhill ["Please Stand By" card]
‣ Speaking Guitar - Gerhard Narholz [SpongeBob's party]
‣ A Little Rhumba in the Night (b) - Laurence Peter Cottle [Squidward arrives]
‣ A Little Rhumba in the Night (a) - Laurence Peter Cottle [Topic cards]
‣ Bird Lady from Ghost Town - The Mel-Tones [back from commercials]
‣ The Humpback Hop - Theo Mondle [dance music]
‣ Steel Licks (c) - Jeremy Wakefield [the next morning]
‣ Steel Sting - Jeremy Wakefield ["This party was a complete disaster."]
‣ Moloka'i Nui (a) - Kapono Beamer [Patrick turns out to have enjoyed the party]
‣ Beat Baby - Harry Bluestone [back to Patchy's party]
‣ ? - Nicolas Carr [Patchy's one man band]
◦ Underwater Sun - Lux Interior, Peter Strauss
‣ Tiki Cabana - The Mel-Tones ["Great job, boys! Thanks for stopping by!"]
‣ Spanish Ladies (b) - Robin Jeffrey, Tim Laycock [ending]
◦ Bird Brains - Peter Straus [closing credits]
- "Party Pooper Pants" was ranked #71 during the Best Day Ever event on November 9–10, 2006.
- As of January 27, 2017, The Internet Movie Database (IMDB) gives this episode a rating of 8.2/10 based on 271 ratings by users. TV.com users give this episode a rating of 8.1/10 based on 162 votes.
- 8:00: Patrick arrives.
- 8:22: Tom arrives.
- 8:37: SpongeBob accidently locks himself out of the house.
- After "Lost in Bikini Bottom," "Help Wanted," "Life of Crime," "Krusty Love," "Tea at the Treedome," "Scaredy Pants," "The Curse of Bikini Bottom," "Squid's Visit," "Sailor Mouth," "Enchanted Tiki Dreams," and "The Sponge Who Could Fly"
- This was Walt Dohrn's final episode as a crew member.
- Patchy said he invited SpongeBob to his party, but Patrick also allegedly received an invitation.
- This is the only episode to show King Neptune in live-action form.
- The subliminal message girl's laugh from "Gary Takes a Bath" is heard at the ending to reenact the female parrots' laughter.
- During the marathon leading up to the premiere of this episode in 2002, Jennifer Love Hewitt and Dana Carvey made special guest appearances during the ads and commercial break warnings.
- Despite there being several reruns of the series on Nickelodeon during 2003 - 2006, this episode was not aired after its initial showing for over 3 years. Starting in 2007, the episode was aired once again on Nickelodeon.
- According to this episode, either Patrick was not in SpongeBob's kindergarten class or was gone the day the photo was taken.
- This episode reveals Scooter's name and Officer Nancy's last name, which is O'Malley.
- The "Peg Leg Dance" mat is first seen earlier in the episode when SpongeBob talks about the scheduled events.
- The late Lux Interior from The Cramps sang lead vocals for "Underwater Sun," and the lead singer's puppet was modeled after Lux to some degree.
- In Hebrew, this episode is called "המסיבה של בובספוג," which means "SpongeBob's Party."
- In Greece, there's not a title for this episode but it's referred as "Το Πάρτυ στο Σπίτι του Μπομπ Σφουγγαράκη," which means "SpongeBob's House Party." However, this episode title wasn't spoken as it always is, which is strange.
- In Poland, this episode is called "Imprezoporty," meaning "Party Pants."
- The fine print for "Patchy's Dance Tips" video offer reads: "It is unlawful to blah blah blah. In the event of blah blah blah the said person blah blah blah. Will who there for blah will blah and it shall be the soul responsibility to blah blah when in the case of blah blah blah. In so there too, henceforth blah will be blah."
- One of the video volumes for Patchy's Dance Tips is "Dance Yer Parrot Off!" The other three are unknown.
- SpongeBob's attempts to get back in his house are (and end with):
- Knocking on the door. Patrick thinks it was the beat to the song.
- Phoning the house. Patrick does open the door but slams it in SpongeBob's face.
- Climbing up the house and enter through the window. Larry shuts the window, to which SpongeBob falls and breaks his fingers.
- Looking through the window. Mrs. Puff thinks it's a painting and turns it backward, pushing SpongeBob from the window.
- Tunnel his way in. A line of people doing the bunny-hop step on SpongeBob, which shoots him back outside.
- Break the door down with a pickaxe. The police come and arrest him for not inviting them to his party.
- SpongeBob's scheduled events:
- 8:00-8:05: Guests arrive
- 8:05-8:15: Opening remarks & general discussion
- 8:15-8:27: Craft corner & name tag distribution
- 8:27-8:37: Cracker eating/tongue twister contest
- 8:37-8:52: Read aloud from the newspaper comics
- 8:52-9:03: Eat cake
- 9:03-9:07: Laughter
- 9:07-9:20: Running charades
- 9:20-9:38: Finger puppet theater
- 9:38-9:57: Charity apple bob
- 9:57-10:00: Electric jitterbug dance marathon (Ladies choice)
- 10:00-10:09: Dance your pants off
- 10:09-10:41: Knock-knock jokes
- 10:41-10:47: Squidward makes light conversation with Mr. Krabs
- Discussion Cards:
- Scooter: Which came first, the oyster or the pearl?
- Lady: Discuss the philosophical nature of irony.
- Plankton: Where are you from?
- Patrick: Nod politely.
- This is the second episode to have two title cards.
- This is the first time where Sandy and Ms. Puff interact with each other. The second was in The SpongeBob SquarePants Movie, but only very briefly.
- On the offer for the Patchy's Dance Tips Videos, the MasterCard logo appears.
- This is the fourth episode where a time card isn't read out loud.
- Patchy's dance map is similar to the title card of "Slimy Dancing."
- Running gag: SpongeBob getting hurt attempting to get in, and the party guests not following SpongeBob's party schedule.
- This episode originally had the regular lowercase captioning (used from 2000 to 2006 airings) on both the T.V. broadcasts and the DVDs. On recent broadcasts of this episode, though, the captioning has been updated to the current uppercase captioning for unknown reasons. So far, this is the only episode to have its closed captioning updated.
- For some reason, SpongeBob's line "Seriously?" is removed on the Tales from the Deep DVD.
- This episode premiered on Craig Ferguson's 40th birthday.
- in the episode "Squid's Visit," Squidward said that he has never gone to SpongeBob's house, but Squidward went to SpongeBob's party in this episode. It is most likely that this episode takes place after "Squid's Visit."
- Barnacle Bill's name comes from the prototype of Barnacle Boy and later the comic book character of the same name.
- This is the second episode where SpongeBob is arrested for something that isn't a felony. The first is "Nasty Patty." This time, it was for not inviting Officers Nancy and John to his party.
- In the Croatian dub, the episode name is "Tulum kod Spužve Boba" or "Party at SpongeBob's."
- In Turkey, the episode is called "Parti Zamanı," which means "Party Time."
- In the Turkish dub, the dance music is in a higher pitch most likely due to PAL conversion despite Turkey using the PAL format.
- Despite promos (officially) and the Narrator called the episode as “SpongeBob’s House Party“, many SpongeBob fans refer to this episode as “Party Pooper Pants“.
- The Birdbrains are lookalikes of the Unknown Rock Band (Barracuda Deathwish) and punk rock band the Ramones. Their name comes from the legendary 80s punk rock band Bad Brains.
- The question "Which came first, the oyster or the pearl?" is a pun on the question "Which came first, the chicken or the egg?"
- SpongeBob's watch says 3:00, not 8:00.
- SpongeBob's welcome mat is not present in any scene except the one where he pulls a key from it.
- Even though Blue Fred implies that he dislikes SpongeBob and will not attend his party, he showed up anyway. It is possible that he went to be polite.
- The fish with glasses said he was moving but was later seen at the party.
- SpongeBob's couch is red instead of green as it usually is.
- At the end of the episode when Patrick closed the door, the door handle was the same color as the door but in the next scene, it was a gold handle.
- When Patchy crashed into the light post his jacket's red.
- The cake had blue frosting, but in a later scene it had pink frosting, and in another scene, it had blue frosting.
- In this episode, SpongeBob's couch is blue and red, not blue and green.
- After Patchy crashes to the pole, he isn't covered with debris, but when he returns to his house, he is covered with debris.
- Tom's eyes are different in this episode, but in a later scene they are back to normal, and in another scene they are different.
- In one scene, Gary's mouth did not move when he said "Meow."
- SpongeBob remembered he has a reserve key under the doormat, but the doormat was not seen before or after this scene.
- In multiple parts of the music video for Underwater Sun, SpongeBob only has one tooth.
- Pearl should have fallen into the hole SpongeBob dug as well.
- After SpongeBob is pushed out of the hole he dug, it disappears.
- There are multiple speech errors in the Indonesia version:
- Scooter says "Who came first, can go with Pearl (Krabs). You can go with Pearl!" instead of "Who came first, the oyster or the pearl? You take the side of the pearl."
- Mr. Krabs says "Next year" instead of "Nice try, Plankton."
- SpongeBob says:
- "2 minutes late" instead of "22 minutes late."
- "Handshake time" instead of "Finger puppet theater."
- "I didn't even eat my cake" instead of "Is it too late to offer you some punch?"
- "You must sleep" instead of "You better call an astronomer."
- "Your eyes are still good, right?" instead of "Someone's at the door!"
- Patchy says "No" when he replies to the Birdbrains instead of "Yes."
- When Patchy asks about Rusty Hinges to Potty, he answers "Rusty died 30 years ago" instead of "They broke up years ago."
- When SpongeBob was reading his schedule, Gary's shell doesn't have the red swirl.
- According to Minnie Mermaid at Patchy's party, if she wasn't in the paddling pool, she will die, but when Patchy was blown up by the stick of dynamite, Minnie Mermaid wasn't in the paddling pool.
- The exterior of Patchy's home has been flipped from its appearance in "Christmas Who?"
- When SpongeBob rolls up the schedule, it appears shorter than it should be.
- In the scene where Patchy was being blasted through houses, his body switches direction when he hits the pole.
- Right before Mr. Krabs puts his coat on Gary, Gary's shell is deformed.
- When SpongeBob asks Lou to initial the final time, the scribble that appears is longer than what it would be for two or three letters.
- The order screen for Patchy's Dance Tips shows Patchy at a medium shot, but ones at the Party show him in a medium close-up shot. He is also in a completely different pose between the two.
- When SpongeBob checks Mr. Krabs off the list, he does it below Patrick star, the only way that this would be possible is if it was in reverse alphabetical order or a non-alphabetic ordering.
- Towards the beginning of the party, Sally was wearing fancy clothes, but after SpongeBob gets locked out, she is wearing her normal clothes.
- The closed-captions misspell Potty as Polly.
- SpongeBob invites 177 guests, although very few people are actually shown at the party.
SpongeBob's House Party Promo (2002)
Nickelodeon Split-Screen Credits Spongebob's House Party Promo 1 (May 4, 2002)