- Squidward Tentacles
- Fred (blue)
- Old Man Jenkins
- Nat Peterson
- Eugene H. Krabs
- SpongeBob SquarePants
- Larry the Lobster (cameo)
- Sea bear (cameo in painting)
- Art appraiser (debut)
- Snow sponge (debut)
- Arctic sperm whale (debut)
- Rock Bottomites
- Martians (debut)
- Other Customers
- French Narrator
- Charles (blue)
- Music School Headmistress (cameo)
The episode begins at the Krusty Krab with Squidward attempting to sell his paintings, demanding attention from customers, who are unfazed by his art. Larry even burns his eyes upon witnessing one of his paintings. Due to the chaos he's caused, Mr. Krabs decides to shut down the art show so Squidward will never be able to sell one of his paintings. SpongeBob, however, objects and disagrees with Mr. Krabs, stating that he bought one of his paintings. An art appraiser then comes in and says that the art will not even be worth a penny. Shocked, Mr. Krabs is desperate to find a better way to make the paintings worth more. The art appraiser then says that art can be more valuable when the artist is out of the picture, which gives Mr. Krabs an idea.
Mr. Krabs hands Squidward a delivery bag and orders him to send it to its respective customer. Squidward goes to Antartica and encounters a snow sponge for whom he mistakes as SpongeBob. However it turns out that SpongeBob is already there, eating some ice. Afterwards, they deliver an ice-cold Krabby Patty to an artic sperm whale, who enjoys the food's frozen nature.
Upon returning to the Krusty Krab, Mr. Krabs has Squidward do another delivery, which is to the Rock Bottomites. He and SpongeBob are dropped off to Rock Bottom and then proceed to go down a ladder to reach their destination. Squidward is freaked out by the town and asks what kind of monsters its inhabitants are, to which SpongeBob replies saying they aren't monsters, but rather his friends. Him and the monsters break into a party afterwards.
Later on they return to Bikini Bottom, and Squidward is ordered to do yet another delivery, this time to Mars. After a UFO drops Squidward off, he is covered in green slime, affected by the events on the planet, though shortly recovers. The art appraiser then rips off the $150,000 tag off Squidward's portraits, angering Mr. Krabs for making him lose money. Fearing punishment, Squidward quickly runs away. As a result, Mr. Krabs resorts to chasing him around with a mallet.
Afterwards, SpongeBob sneaks up on Squidward, telling him he won't get off of him until he's safe. The latter says that he won't be safe until his paintings are gone, so the former gives him a chainsaw and encourages him to destroy them. Squidward can't go through though, since he views his paintings to be far too beautiful for destruction. After his hesitation goes away, he does tear them apart. Although Mr. Krabs finds this damage to be disruptive, the art appraiser deems it the most accelerating performance art he's ever seen. Upon realizing this, Mr. Krabs eventually joins in and he and Squidward damage the property of the Krusty Krab.
This, however, goes too far and causes the restaurant's roof to fall apart and land on the duo. The appraiser puts the merging of Mr. Krabs and Squidward on the wall in a museum and explains how he acquired a masterpiece with it. The episode ends with Squidward saying "I'm an artist," Mr. Krabs saying "I'm rich," and SpongeBob adding "I helped" followed by a laugh.
|( ‣ ) Associated production music|
|( • ) Original music|
|( ◦ ) SpongeBob music|
‣ Coconut Cream Pie - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Title card.]
‣ Fanfares 18 C Maj - Marcin Pospieszalski ["Behold my wondrous paintings!"]
‣ Tension Bits - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Squidward gets angry/"Hey, look at my arts you dummy!!"]
‣ Sailor's Sting 12 - Michael Bolger, Nicolas Carr ["I don't know how you talked me into this art show, SpongeBob."]
‣ Hot Steel and Slide Licks (e) - Jeremy Wakefield [Customer pukes on Squidward's painting.]
‣ Surf Happy Fun (Underscore) - Billy Lincoln ["Come on Larry, get your salad on!"]
‣ Dramatic Cue (b) - Ronald Hanmer [Larry's eyes on fire.]
‣ Hot Steel and Slide Licks (k) - Jeremy Wakefield [Squidward backs away.]
‣ House of Horror - William Farran [Mother and son scream.]
‣ Cartoon Sting 5 - "That's it, Squidward is scaring me customers away!"
‣ Hot Steel and Slide Licks (u) - Jeremy Wakefield ["Mr. Krabs, Squidward is our friend."]
‣ Unknown Track 33 - "Nice? I don't waste my money on nice."
‣ Vibe Q Sting - Nicolas Carr ["Valuable? What do you mean?"]
‣ Library of Congress - Jack Shaindlin [SpongeBob explains what he means.]
‣ Hot Steel and Slide Licks (b) - Jeremy Wakefield [Krabs takes all of Squidward's art.]
‣ Sailor's Sting 24 - Michael Bolger, Nicolas Carr [Krabs puts up a rope barrier.]
‣ Fooling Around - Barry Anthony [Art appraiser appears at the Krusty Krab.]
‣ Unknown Track 21 - "I sold all my art?"
‣ Unknown Track 9 - Squidward paints his autograph on someone's forehead.
‣ Four Evil Men (c) - Trevor Duncan [Squidward's thrown out the door.]
‣ The Fruitcake Vendor - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony ["Paintings can become much more valuable when the artist is no longer with us."]
‣ Dirgey - Nicolas Carr, Steve Marston [Art appraiser pretends to hang himself.]
‣ The Fruitcake Vendor - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony [Squidward reappears.]
‣ Armed Attack - Jean Clero [Squidward in the arctic with the delivery.]
‣ Vibe Sting - Nicolas Carr ["SpongeBob?"]
‣ Tentically Speaking - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Squidward delivers food to a whale.]
‣ Lite Conversation - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony [Krabs on the phone.]
‣ Nude Sting - Nicolas Carr [Krabs sees Squidward back at the Krusty Krab with SpongeBob.]
‣ Hot Steel and Slide Licks (v) - Jeremy Wakefield ["Your eyes are so pretty."]
‣ Moon Walk - John Fox [Squidward arrives at Rock Bottom with the delivery.]
‣ Unknown Track 79 - Rock Bottom monsters put on party hats.
‣ The Fruitcake Vendor - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony [Krabs on the phone again.]
‣ Missile Disaster - John Fox [Squidward is sent in a rocket to Mars.]
‣ Alien Spacecraft (a) - Gregor Narholz [Squidward gives the delivery to the martians.]
‣ Sailor's Sting 10 - Michael Bolger, Nicolas Carr [Art appraiser at the Krusty Krab again.]
‣ Hot Steel and Slide Licks V - Jeremy Wakefield [Krabs cries.]
‣ Sailor's Sting 10 - Michael Bolger, Nicolas Carr ["These are tears of joy, but they're also tears of sadness for my good friend, Squidward."]
‣ Unknown Track 54 - Nicolas Carr ["...wherever he is."]
‣ Space Critters (a) - Gregor Narholz [UFO drops Squidward off.]
‣ Hot Steel and Slide Licks (w) - Jeremy Wakefield ["So, who wants to talk about my use of color and brush strokes?"]
‣ Sailor's Sting 15 - Michael Bolger, Nicolas Carr ["I have done everything I could to get you away from here safely..."]
‣ Grass Skirt Chase - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Krabs runs after Squidward with a mallet.]
‣ Unknown Track 36 - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Krabs still chasing Squidward after three hours.]
‣ Four Evil Men (c) - Trevor Duncan [SpongeBob hides Squidward behind a rock.]
‣ Romantic Endeavour - Thomas Kraus ["I'll never get off of you, Squidward."]
‣ Mutations (a) [#53] - Trevor Duncan [Krabs reappears with the mallet.]
‣ Epic Adventure - Dick Walter [Krabs chases Squidward and SpongeBob back at the Krusty Krab.]
‣ Vibe Sting - Nicolas Carr ["Wh...? Really?"]
‣ Fight for Your Life! - Gregor Narholz ["Yes! Feel my art!"]
‣ Vibe Q Sting - Nicolas Carr ["Really?"]
‣ Unknown Track 3 - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Krabs and Squidward destroying the Krusty Krab.]
‣ Hot Steel and Slide Licks (n) - Jeremy Wakefield [Krabs and Squidward exhausted.]
‣ Unknown Track 33 - "Performance art is about the moment."
‣ Lap Steel - Nicolas Carr ["Aha!"]
‣ Scintillating Stars - John Howlett [At an art museum.]
‣ Hot Steel and Slide Licks (v) - Jeremy Wakefield ["And I helped."]
This section is too short. You can help the Encyclopedia SpongeBobia by expanding it.
- As of September 24, 2017, The Internet Movie Database (IMDB) gives this episode a rating of 3.6/10 based on 138 ratings by users. TV.com users give this episode a 7/10 based on 2 votes.
- This episode reveals that it takes place after "Rock Bottom," due to SpongeBob knowing its location.
- It is also revealed that the angler fish, who befriended SpongeBob in that episode has stayed friends with him ever since.
- This is the second appearance of Rock Bottom in an episode. However, Rock Bottom does appear in some video games and comics, as well as the 4-D ride .
- Clancy Brown, the voice actor of Mr. Krabs, voices the blue sperm whale. The Krabs family includes many sperm whales, mainly Pearl, but this is the first time Brown has voiced one.
- This is the third appearance of a sperm whale other than Pearl, after "Jailbreak!" and "Goodbye, Krabby Patty?," which both also feature whales whose designs were modeled after Pearl.
- This is the second time Squidward was lying down with a bone and an can on the ground. The first time was in "Mutiny on the Krusty".
- Several of Squidward's Self-Portraits seen in the background are based on paintings that have previously appeared inside his house.
- The rocket that Mr. Krabs uses to send Squidward to Mars is very similar to Sandy's rocket and the rocket SpongeBob builds in "Mrs. Puff, You're Fired."
- Additionally, the helmet on Squidward's spacesuit is nearly identical to Sandy's.
- This episode marks one of the few times that salad has been served at the Krusty Krab. It is also the second time salad has been served as a menu item rather than at a salad bar, after "Bossy Boots" where Pearl made SpongeBob serve salads.
- Running Gag: The Krusty Krab doors opening in the wrong way.
- Mr. Krabs is briefly shown wearing a fake human nose while he chases Squidward.
- The gag that reveals the snow sponge to be alive is similar to "Christmas Who?," which features a snowman coming to life and moving.
- This episode takes place after "The Camping Episode" because in that episode Squidward didn't believe in sea bears, but in this episode he drew a painting of him carrying one.
- This is one of the few episodes to contain suicide jokes, the others being "Something Smells," "Band Geeks," "Gary Takes a Bath," "Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy IV," "Dunces and Dragons," "One Coarse Meal," and "Are You Happy Now?"
- There is also an episode of The Loud House called "Out of the Picture." Coincidentally, both SpongeBob SquarePants and The Loud House are Nicktoons.
- Also coincidentally, this episode is 214b, and The Loud House's "Out of the Picture" episode is season 2 episode 14a.
- As well as this, both episodes aired in 2017.
- This episode is one of few where Squidward can be seen happy while around SpongeBob (in some scenes).
- This episode premiered 12 years after The SpongeBob SquarePants Movie was released in Norway, three years after the premiere of "Skill Crane" and "Good Neighbors" in Poland, two years after SpongeBob Comics Annual-Size Super-Giant Swimtacular #3 was released, and one year after the premiere of "Patrick! The Game" and "The Sewers of Bikini Bottom."
- The part where the art appraiser mimes hanging himself is removed in the UK.
- Squidward's paintings of himself with large, exaggerated eyes are a reference to the work of Margaret Keane.
- SpongeBob's quote "Run Squidward!, Run!" is a reference to Jenny's quote in Forrest Gump, "Run Forrest!, Run!"
- When a piece of roof falls on Squidward and Mr. Krabs, SpongeBob exclaims "D'oh!," which may be a reference to Homer Simpson's catchphrase in The Simpsons.
- The address 237 Rock Bottom may be a reference to the 1980 film The Shining.
- The angler fish speaks with a Rock Bottom accent by blowing raspberries in this episode. However, his first appearance revealed that he knows how to speak without the accent.
- The Rock Bottom bus station manager is friends with SpongeBob in this episode, but he was SpongeBob's enemy in his first appearance.
- They probably befriended after the episode.
- The bus station is missing when Squidward first arrives in Rock Bottom.
- When Squidward is sent to Mars, there is an aerial view of the Krusty Krab. The Chum Bucket and the road leading to it are clearly missing in this scene.
- Squidward wears his artist's outfit when he is sent to Mars, but when he returns, he is in his normal shirt.
- Mr. Krabs gives Squidward 3 cents for his art but when it cuts back to Squidward, he now has 5 cents.