- Eugene H. Krabs
- French Narrator
- Queen of Switzerland (mentioned)
- SpongeBob SquarePants
- Patrick Star
- Collectors (debut)
- Ghost of soda drink hats (debut)
- Owl clam (debut)
- Scallop bats (debut)
- Black snail (debut)
- Squidward Tentacles
- Diver Dan (name on tombstone)
- Stupid (name on tombstone)
- Smitty Werben Man Jensen (debut)
- Army of the Living Dead (debut)
- Buzzards (mentioned)
- Errol Fin (mentioned)
SynopsisMr. Krabs is holding a yard sale at his house with items found in the trash, when SpongeBob and Patrick stop by to visit. Dennis is the first customer to come up at Mr. Krabs' yard sale. He bought an old umbrella. Later SpongeBob finds and buys a soda drinking hat for $10. Later, Krabs is confronted by a group of rich collectors, who inform him that the soda drinking hat he is in possession of is extremely valuable and offer to pay him up to one million dollars for it. Mr. Krabs goes to SpongeBob and desperately tries to get him to give the hat back but to no avail. Mr. Krabs then concludes that he will have to "scare" the hat off of SpongeBob.
That night, Mr. Krabs draws an obviously fake ghost on a piece of paper and puts it through SpongeBob's window using a fishing rod. SpongeBob thinks it's a real ghost, and Mr. Krabs tells him that the hat is cursed, and must be returned to its deceased original owner. When SpongeBob asks the name of the owner, Mr. Krabs hastily makes up the name. However, Mr. Krabs' plan backfires when there turns out to be an actual dead person with that name, and that SpongeBob buried the hat in this grave.
Mr. Krabs goes to the cemetery, where he gets scared and hides behind a headstone, when along comes Squidward bringing flowers to a grave labeled "Squidward's Hopes and Dreams" and remarks "What a baby."Mr. Krabs then proceeds to remember things SpongeBob has said to him and uses that information to find and then defile Smitty's grave and take the hat. However, Smitty and the others buried in the cemetery suddenly come to life and attempt to get the hat back. Mr. Krabs grabs the head of an undead swordfish and uses that as his sword. He fights the undead skeleton warriors all night, eventually defeating them all and escaping with the hat. He then goes to the collectors and tells them that he got the hat back, but the collectors laugh at him telling him that they found a warehouse full of soda drinking hats and that it's now worthless. The collectors see SpongeBob wearing a clapping hat and they chase him, offering to pay one billion dollars for his hat. Mr. Krabs says "Well that's a spirit breaker", throws the soda drink hat away and starts crying, and Squidward, who was seen bringing flowers to the grave of "Squidward's Hopes And Dreams" in the graveyard, says "What a baby."
|( ‣ ) Associated production music|
|( • ) Original music|
|( ◦ ) SpongeBob music|
‣ Tripping Upstairs - Brian Peters [title card]
‣ Mostly the Charleston (a) - Paul Lenart, Bill Novick [Krabs having a yard sale]
‣ Mirandas Minuet [#6] - Bob Barratt, Colin Michael Frechter, Krieger [soup ladle]
‣ Drop Me Off at 42nd St. (a) - Paul Lenart, Bill Novick [soda drink hat]
‣ Drop Me Off at 42nd St. (e) - Paul Lenart, Bill Novick [soda drink hat]
‣ Hawaiian Adventures SpongeBob Theme - Jeremy Wakefield, Sage Guyton [SpongeBob finds 68 cents]
‣ Hawaiian Cocktail - Richard Myhill ["Thanks, Mr. Krabs!"]
‣ Vibe Sting - Nicolas Carr ["I understand you're selling this rare novelty drink hat."]
‣ Terror by Night - Hubert Clifford [everyone offering large amounts of money for the hat]
‣ Hawaiian Cocktail - Richard Myhill [SpongeBob blowing bubbles]
‣ Hawaiian Link (a) - Richard Myhill ["I'm not?"]
‣ Ulkereien - Gerhard Trede [bag of novelty hats]
‣ Like Strange - Kenny Graham [drawing of ghost]
‣ Finders Creepers - Paddy Kingsland [Krabs pretending to be a ghost]
‣ Supernatural 1 [#1] - Harry Bluestone, Emil Cadkin [Krabs in the cemetery]
‣ Supernatural 2 [#4] - Harry Bluestone, Emil Cadkin ["Hold yourself together, Krabs. It's just a boneyard... filled with bones..."]
‣ Evil Alien Attack 1 [#15] - Harry Bluestone, Emil Cadkin [Krabs screams]
‣ Deep Grief 1 - Otto Sieben [Squidward with flowers]
‣ Graveyard - Johnny Pearson [Krabs looking for Smitty's grave]
‣ Vibe Q Sting - Nicolas Carr [Mr. Krabs tries to remember SpongeBob's words.]
‣ Hollywood Christmas [#70.02] - Gregor F. Narholz [he finds it]
‣ The Dreadnought Tea Clipper (b) - Tim Laycock, Robert Alexander White [Krabs defiles the grave]
‣ Frankenstein's Niece (a) - Gregor F. Narholz ["Hey, man, that's my hat."]
‣ A Pirate's Life for Me (a) - Ron Goodwin [sword fight]
‣ Chief Taravana - Kapono Beamer [ending]
- This episode is available on the Fear of a Krabby Patty, Complete 3rd Season, and First 100 Episodes DVDs.
- As of , The Internet Movie Database (IMDB) gives this episode a rating of 9.2/10/10 based on 367 ratings by users. TV.com users give this episode a rating of 9.2/10/10 based on 161 votes.
- When Mr. Krabs gets the "million-dollar" hat, he goes back to his backyard, where the previous buyers of the hat are all gathered, later to find none of them are interested in buying the hat at all. This is unrealistic that they would all still be waiting for him to return, having known that the hat is now worthless unless they think Mr. Krabs has another "million-dollar" hat.
- Grave Stone Markings read:
- Here lies Squidward's hopes and dreams
- R.I.P. Stupid
- I'm with Stupid
- Diver Dan
- Rest in Peace
- Old Salty lies beneath
- Smitty Werben Man Jensen
- This is the fourth episode where its title card is animated, the first being "SB-129," the second being "Prehibernation Week," and the third being "Idiot Box."
- This is the final episode of the series with the 1986 Paramount logo until "Ghoul Fools."
- On YouTube Poops, the tombstone that reads "Here lies Squidward's hopes and dreams" has been used very often.
- Floater's Cemetery is a pun and reference to how fish float when they die.
- Mr. Krabs tells SpongeBob that the curse will descend on him unless he returns the hat to its "owner," clearly referring to himself. Mr. Krabs isn't the owner of the hat because SpongeBob bought the hat from him, making him the new owner.
- Mr. Krabs would've succeeded in getting the hat on time if he didn't refer to himself as the "owner" of the hat.
- In this episode, SpongeBob's bedroom is on the first floor.
- This episode premiered on Nigel Planer's 49th birthday.
- In the Polish dub, the episode's title is "Bezcenny śmieć Kraba," which translates to 'Priceless Krab's Trash."
- In Croatian dub, the episode's name is "Klještićevo smeće," which translates to "Krabs' Trash."
- Instead of saying that the umbrella belonged to the queen of Switzerland, Mr. Krabs says that it belonged to the president of Bikini Bottom, to which fish replies, "We do not have a president!"
- The name of the episode is a reference to the saying "One man's trash is another man's treasure."
- Coincidentally, the French Narrator says exactly the same phrase at the beginning of the episode.
- While he is fighting the skeletons, Mr. Krabs says "Look at me! I'm Errol Fin!" This is a reference to Errol Flynn's sword-fighting as Robin Hood in the 1938 film The Adventures of Robin Hood.
- When the undead army appears, Mr. Krabs describes the many gruesome things zombies are known for doing in many stories and films depicting them.
- Mr. Krabs says "I've seen this on the Late Show," referencing the CBS talk show of the same name. However, in this episode, the Late Show he is talking about appears to be a horror show.
- Patrick pays Mr. Krabs $7, but the toilet plunger costs $5, so Mr. Krabs should've given him $2 change.
- When SpongeBob gives Mr. Krabs a bill and then goes home to search for more money, he comes back with 2 bills in his hand.
- When Mr. Krabs stands in front of Smitty's grave, it reads "Smitty Werben Man Jensen," but, according to the name, Mr. Krabs tells SpongeBob it should really be "Smitty Werben Jager Man Jensen." The graveyard illustrator forgot the word "Jager."
- In Indonesia, Mr. Krabs' line "Of course I am!" is changed to "Doomed me!"
- On the DVD releases, this episode is listed as "One Krab'<b>s Trash," adding an apostrophe to the title.
- When SpongeBob's head turns as the shopping list ghost scares him, the #1 on the hat turns backward.
- When Mr. Krabs leaves SpongeBob's house and heads to the cemetery, Squidward's house is not there.
- In SpongeBob's memory of the time he and the hat were together, SpongeBob goes from the stand to just a few feet away, but in reality, he is next to his house.
- Before Mr. Krabs tries to remember what SpongeBob told him, there are headstones around him. However, when he sees Smitty's headstone, there are no other head stones around.
- When Smitty is dead, he has neck bones, but when he is alive, he only has one bone for the neck.
<ref>tags exist, but no
<references/>tag was found