"One Coarse Meal" is a SpongeBob SquarePants episode from season seven. In this episode, Mr. Krabs discovers that Plankton is afraid of whales, and uses his daughter Pearl to scare Plankton.
Mr. Krabs is sleeping in his money bath, when he smells something burning. SpongeBob tells Mr. Krabs that it smells like Plankton with his new explosives. Plankton then blows up the Krusty Krab, while his machine captures SpongeBob and Mr. Krabs. Then, Pearl comes to the kitchen and, being afraid of whales, Plankton runs back to the Chum Bucket in panic. Mr. Krabs asks Pearl for one of her dresses so he could disguise as her to scare Plankton.
Plankton tells Karen about his fear of whales and she tells him there are no whales in the Chum Bucket. Then, Mr. Krabs, disguised as Pearl, scares Plankton. He enters in the Chum Bucket and Mr. Krabs appears saying that he wants the meat of Plankton. This goes on for 2 nonstop weeks. Plankton then runs away and has nightmares about Pearl eating him and his cousins.
Plankton appears in the road, attempting suicide by being run over, but SpongeBob talks him out of it and whispers to Plankton about Mr. Krabs' worst fear. Plankton was surprised but becomes angry when SpongeBob tells Plankton that it is Mr. Krabs disguised as Pearl that's been scaring him. SpongeBob leaves while Plankton is left with a plan to get even with his rival.
Plankton decides to torment Mr. Krabs with a mime. Later, SpongeBob scares Plankton away with holographic whales to keep him from getting the formula. SpongeBob then releases Mr. Krabs and the mime continues to torment him, but considering Mr. Krabs' change in attitude towards the clown after Plankton fled, it is implied that Mr. Krabs was not afraid of the clown at all (and his fear earlier was a façade).
‣ SpongeBob History Song
|( ‣ ) Associated production music|
|( • ) Original music|
|( ◦ ) SpongeBob music|
- Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Title card]
‣ Undertow - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Krabs takes a money bath]
‣ Vibe Q Sting - Nicolas Carr ["Something don't smell right."]
‣ Sailor's Sting 12 - Michael Bolger, Nicolas Carr [SpongeBob cooking Krabby Patties]
‣ Crime & Danger Sign #3 - Hans Conzelmann, Delle Haensch ["Explosive?!"]
‣ Steel Sting (e) - Jeremy Wakefield ["It didn't go off."]
‣ Guerilla Warfare [#21] - Harry Bluestone, Emil Cadkin ["A dud, huh?"]
‣ Zelle 501 - Gerhard Trede [Plankton tickling Krabs]
‣ Steel Sting - Jeremy Wakefield ["Clever."]
‣ Guerilla Warfare [#22] - Harry Bluestone, Emil Cadkin [Plankton smells blubber]
‣ Drama Link (g) - Hubert Clifford ["Call off your daughter, Krabs!"]
‣ Drama Link (e) - Hubert Clifford ["Stay back, whale!"]
‣ Steel Licks (a) - Jeremy Wakefield [Plankton leaves]
‣ Sailor's Sting 12 - Michael Bolger, Nicolas Carr [Krabs gives Pearl mall money]
‣ Tympup (a) - Sammy Burdson, John Charles Fiddy [Wacky bucks]
‣ Sailor's Sting 12 - Michael Bolger, Nicolas Carr ["It's the money Mr. Krabs pays me with."]
‣ Lap Steel - Nicolas Carr [Plankton running home]
‣ Sneaking About - Phil Green ["My triumphant husband returns."]
‣ Old 49er - Nicolas Carr [Flashback to Plankton's ancestors on a picnic]
‣ Lovely Scenery (c) - Mladen Franko [Whale eats them]
‣ Sneaking About - Phil Green [Plankton takes out the trash]
‣ Tales from the Swamp (a) - Ron Goodwin ["I'm hungry!"]
‣ Wooden Bear - Gil Flat, Tony Tape, Florian Voelxen [Empty laboratory]
‣ Lap Steel - Nicolas Carr [16 paranoia-filled days later]
‣ Lonely Stranger - Laurie Johnson ["Yes, I can hear you."]
‣ Crescendo Fin 10 F# - Marcin Pospieszalski [Pearl snickers]
‣ Death Throws - Harry Bluestone, Emil Cadkin [Plankton's nightmare]
‣ Old 49er - Nicolas Carr ["Hey, Plankton!"]
‣ Cellar Search - Philippe Pares ["Gastric acid?"]
‣ Unknown Hawaiian Sting (g) - Jeremy Wakefield [Plankton crying]
‣ The Drunken Sailor - Krabs disguised as Pearl
‣ Unknown Track 30 - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Plankton driven to suicide]
‣ Sailor's Sting 8 - Michael Bolger, Nicolas Carr [Krabs in his office.]
‣ Sailor's Sting 14 - Michael Bolger, Nicolas Carr ["Mr. Krabs, I know you and Plankton are both sworn enemies and all..."]
‣ Steel Sting (f) - Jeremy Wakefield [Plankton lying in the street]
‣ Skipping to School - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob tells Plankton about Krabs' secret fear]
‣ Closing the Door - Nicolas Carr [Plankton laughs evilly]
‣ The Drunken Sailor - Krabs putting on the disguise
‣ Drama Link (d) - Hubert Clifford [Krabs tries to scare Plankton]
‣ Vibe Sting - Nicolas Carr [Krabs imitates Pearl]
‣ Shock Entrance [#24] - Harry Bluestone, Emil Cadkin ["The jig is up, Krabs!"]
‣ Dramatic Cue (e) - Ronald Hanmer ["Secret fear?"]
‣ Dachshund Walk - John Fox, Mac Prindy [Krabs afraid of mimes]
‣ Slide Whistle Song - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Ending]
- As of August 19, 2016, The Internet Movie Database (IMDB) gives this episode a rating of 3.8/10 based on 301 ratings by users. TV.com users give this episode a rating of 6.2/10 based on 151 votes.
- This episode reached #99 on SpongeBob's top 100.
- The episode's title card has the same font color as the title card for "The Inside Job."
- On the SpongeBob SquarePants website, this episode was referred to as "One Course Meal."
- Plankton is scared of whales in this episode. Although in earlier episodes, he has encountered Pearl without panicking. However, it is possible his ancestors were eaten after these episodes took place. Also, in one of the episodes, "The Algae's Always Greener," Plankton says "look at his daughter, she's as big as a whale." This indicates that he may not have realized that Pearl was a whale. In a later episode, he interacts with another whale in jail and is not afraid of him. This could imply he conquered his fear. In "Married to Money," Plankton, disguised as Cashina, was communicated with Pearl. In "Patnocchio," Plankton and Patnocchio go inside Pearl's stomach to retrieve a Krabby Patty. Plankton mentions that just being near a whale's mouth gives him the creeps.
- "The Algae's Always Greener" and "Jailbreak!" probably take place after this episode.
- "Coarse" is another term for "rough." Therefore, the title of the episode means "One rough meal." However, it is clearly a play on words of a one course meal.
- This episode shows that Plankton is a skilled bubble-blower, as he was able to make a bubble shield strong enough to withstand peas that SpongeBob was spitting at the speed of a bullet.
- It is revealed that Plankton is afraid of whales and that Mr. Krabs has a secret fear of mimes. In "Krusty Krab Training Video," it is mentioned that Mr. Krabs was also afraid of robot overlords.
- The main difference between Plankton's and Mr. Krabs' phobias is that Plankton's is technically rational, while Mr. Krabs' is obviously irrational.
- It is, however, implied that Mr. Krabs may have been faking his fear of mimes as another scheme to scare Plankton.
- When Plankton calls SpongeBob "cheesehead," it is a reference to "What Ever Happened to SpongeBob?"
- The transmutator was a scanner in "Plankton!" It is possible Plankton may have modified the scanner into a transmutator since then.
- Karen has no compassion for Plankton and constantly ignores his intense fear of Pearl. Though, it could be argued that computers do not have feelings, although she has shown emotions before (such as crying digital tears in “Chum Caverns”).
- Just before Pearl comes into the kitchen, Plankton wonders what the smell is. SpongeBob says it smells like blubber, and Plankton panics. In "Spongicus," he says one of the ingredients to his chum is whale blubber, so it is unusual that he would not know what blubber smells like.
- Pearl claims the Chum Bucket is "totally gross," meaning she may have gone inside of the restaurant before.
- When Plankton asks SpongeBob to step on him, SpongeBob declines, saying it flies in the face of his "good nature." However, SpongeBob has done things contradictory to his good nature.
- It is revealed that Mr. Krabs can do a perfect Pearl impression.
- One of Plankton's ancestors looks like Clem.
- This episode premiered on Gene Shalit's 84th birthday.
- In the Croatian dub, the episode name is "Jedna mala izmišljotina" or "One little fabrication."
- The scene where Mr. Krabs puts peas into SpongeBob and he shoots them at Plankton, is a possible reference to the Peashooter from the Plants vs. Zombies video game series.
- After "16 paranoia-filled days," Plankton is seen having grown a full head of long gray hair falling into his gray beard, as well as claws. Not only do these quickly disappear moments afterward, but the claws could bear a resemblance to Wolverine.
- When Plankton has long white hair, long fingernails, and tissue boxes on his feet, it is maybe a parody of Howard Hughes.
- When Plankton was about to drop a bomb, Mr. Krabs was naked with a towel. When it exploded, he had clothes on.
- He may have put his clothes on.
- When the camera zooms out on Plankton, a box appears over his face.
- When SpongeBob goes into Mr. Krabs' office after he erases a drawing of Plankton, the pencil and paper he used is gone.
- When SpongeBob and Pearl both say "Huh?," the closed-captions of the complete seventh DVD refer to it as (confused babbling).