- French Narrator (shown)
- SpongeBob SquarePants
- Mrs. Puff
- Jellyfish (drawn)
- Daydream Harold "Bill" Reginald
- Daydream Dave
- Daydream Henry-Bart (green)
- Daydream Nat Peterson
- Daydream Tina Fran
- Daydream Sadie
- Daydream Charlie
- Daydream Paco
- Daydream Johnny Elaine (debut in episodes)
- Donald the Shark (in a picture)
- Margaret SquarePants
- Harold SquarePants
- Boaty (debut)
- Balloon Giraffe
- Giant clams
- Billboard Fish
- Officer Rob Johnson
- Officer John Slugfish
- Mrs. Flounder (mentioned)
- Prison Guards (debut)
- Light Blue Officer (debut)
- Bikini Bottom Jail Warden (mentioned)
SynopsisSpongeBob's last boating exam of the year ends in failure after he runs over the French Narrator. Despite the failing grade, SpongeBob remains optimistic that his next year in Mrs. Puff's class will be productive. Mrs. Puff, on the other hand, dreads the thought of another year administrating boating exams for SpongeBob. In desperation, she offers him an extra credit exam: a short, ten-word thesis on one thing he learned in boating school. SpongeBob finds he cannot decide what to pick and starts having a nervous breakdown. But Mrs. Puff, completely tired of SpongeBob, lets him pass anyway.
As SpongeBob leaves with his new driver's license, Mrs. Puff ponders over whether she's done the wrong thing and starts feeling guilt, then has a terrible daydream of him destroying the town. She consoles herself with the fact that SpongeBob lacks a boat to drive, much less one to wreck. Upon arriving to her home, however, she finds SpongeBob and his parents inside with a huge cake to thank her for her teachings, as futile as they had once seemed. Both SpongeBob and Mrs. Puff get another surprise when they see that SpongeBob's parents bought him a brand new boatmobile. In utter amazement, SpongeBob falls into the cake in a dead faint. As SpongeBob's parents take him home, Mrs. Puff realizes the danger he now poses and decides to settle the matter before anyone figures out she let him skip through boating school.
SpongeBob's parents tuck him into his bed and tell him that, due to his head injury, he should not drive anywhere that night. As soon as his parents leave, he sneaks out his bedroom window, gets into the boat, and falls asleep. Not long after, Mrs. Puff hi-jacks SpongeBob's boat and drives it away. SpongeBob wakes up to find the masked Mrs. Puff in the process of stealing his vehicle and fights her off.
Mrs. Puff tries knocking SpongeBob out of the boat, but he grabs hold of the rear bumper. She next drives through various obstacles to lose him, but he catches up to her while two police officers watch the commotion from their vehicle. In their struggle, SpongeBob ultimately reveals the thief to be Mrs. Puff, rendering him senseless just as the boat crashes into the police car.
SpongeBob and Mrs. Puff talk in the Bikini Bottom jail where Mrs. Puff is being held. Mrs. Puff apologizes to SpongeBob and says that she shouldn't have passed him when she knew he really wasn't ready. SpongeBob understands he'll have to relinquish his license, but Mrs. Puff tells him he can still continue his lessons with Mrs. Flounder, another driving teacher starting a new class. SpongeBob assures her she is the only one who he wants teaching him, giving her a tip that the warden will let her go early in exchange for free driving lessons.
|( ‣ ) Associated production music|
|( • ) Original music|
|( ◦ ) SpongeBob music|
‣ Hen Pecker - The Surfdusters [title card]
‣ Dingles Regatta - Brian Peters [opening at boating school]
‣ El Dementia - The Surfdusters ["No, SpongeBob, wait!]
‣ Whisper from the Past [#64.02] - Gregor F. Narholz ["Don't worry. I'll be alright, Mrs. Puff."]
‣ Hawaiian Link (a) - Richard Myhill [Mrs. Puff inflates]
‣ Unease - Dick Stephen Walter ["Another year with him!"]
‣ Puka A - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield ["Extra credit!"]
‣ SpongeBob Closing Theme - Steve Belfer, Nicolas Carr [SpongeBob sharpening his pencil]
‣ Muscovite Rebellion - David Arnold, Paul Hart ["No, wait, I changed my mind!"]
‣ Vibe Sting - Nicolas Carr [SpongeBob's essay]
‣ Youthful Days - Mike Sunderland [SpongeBob's license]
‣ The Nightmare Begins (a) - John Devereaux [Mrs. Puff imagines SpongeBob destroying the city]
‣ Hawaiian Link (b) - Richard Myhill [Mrs. Puff goes home]
‣ Sunny Samoa - Jan Rap [surprise party]
‣ Danger Zone - Mike Sunderland ["What have I done?"]
‣ Undertow - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob sneaks out of his room]
‣ Stepping into Danger - Mike Sunderland [Mrs. Puff in a ski mask]
‣ El Dementia - The Sufdusters [SpongeBob and Mrs. Puff scream]
‣ Hen Pecker - The Surfdusters ["Who are you and what are you doing in my boat?"]
‣ Gorgeous Girl - Kurt Schick [Mrs. Puff turns on the radio]
‣ Hen Pecker - The Surfdusters [boat out of control]
‣ Holiday Dream - Max Mahlmann [ending]
- As of August 11, 2015, The Internet Movie Database (IMDB) gives this episode a rating of 8.5/10 based on 167 ratings by users. TV.com users give this episode a rating of 8.6/10 based on 143 votes.
- "No Free Rides" was ranked #33 during the Best Day Ever event on November 9–10, 2006.
- In "Boating School," SpongeBob was upset about failing his driving test, but as of "No Free Rides," he clearly does not care about failing.
- The accident company has the same phone number as the Tattletale Strangler (555-1234).
- The fourth wall is broken when the French Narrator is run over by SpongeBob at the beginning of the episode.
- Mrs. Puff's line "Oh Neptune" has become a popular Internet meme.
- SpongeBob and his parents hold a surprise party for Mrs. Puff at her house. When Mrs. Puff enters, a small picture of her standing at the door in the same shot can be seen. In addition, the same picture is seen within this picture. This is an example of a recursive image, one image that is repeated infinitely within itself.
- This happens with Mrs. Puff again in "Bumper to Bumper."
- When Mrs. Puff gives SpongeBob his driver's license, he licks it and comments "It tastes just like I dreamt it would." Incidentally, he dreams he is holding a drivers license and licks it in "Sleepy Time."
- In the Croatian dub, the episode name is "Ništa zabadava" translating to "Nothing for Free."
- Although SpongeBob is seen coming out of the radio slot in the car, earlier on in the episode this same radio is shown (when Mrs. Puff is first stealing the boat) it still had a SpongeBob-like appearance before the event occurred.
- MY LEG: SpongeBob runs over the people having a birthday party in Mrs. Puff's fantasy.
- Apparently, Mrs. Puff has given a student a drivers license before, and it ended in mayhem, like SpongeBob, as she said "I'll have to move to a new town, open a new boating school, with a new name! No. Not again."
- A scribbled out a word that says "Pat" can be seen at the bottom of SpongeBob's paper. This may be a reference to SpongeBob's best friend Patrick Star.
- The radio station that SpongeBob hosted was called "K.R.U.D." (Crud)
- In the Crime and Funishment book/Cine-Manga version of this episode, the scene between SpongeBob being kicked out of the boat and Mrs. Puff turning on the SpongeBob radio was cut out for some reason.
- This is the first episode where the French Narrator is physically seen. The second is in "Feral Friends."
- This is the first episode to feature only one main character (SpongeBob).
- This is the first time SpongeBob calls a boat "Boaty." The second time is in "Gone."
- This is the first appearance of the exterior of the Bikini Bottom Jail. It looks different than it does in later appearances. Considering that it looks older than it does in later episodes, it might have been renovated into what appears later in the series.
- This is the second time Mrs. Puff goes to jail. The first was in "Hall Monitor."
- This one of a few episodes where an air raid siren can be heard blaring during a time of chaos and/or destruction. The other episodes where this happens are "Valentine's Day" and "Wormy."
- This episode premiered on Rik Mayall's 43rd birthday.
- From this episode onwards, Mrs. Puff no longer has a deep voice when inflated.
- Johnny Elaine is voiced by Dee Bradley Baker in this episode, instead of Doug Lawrence.
- After SpongeBob and his parents leave her house, Mrs. Puff says, "I gotta move out of town and change my name!...No, not again." This implies that she has actually done so in the past which means that Mrs. Puff might not even be her real name.
- The "IM-RDY" license plate from this episode reappears in SpongeBob's garage in the episode "Sharks vs. Pods" when he is getting ready to fight.
- Although, the license plate colors are different in both appearances.
- SpongeBob's wallpaper on his room looks different than usual.
- In the scene where the cops look at the boat, it is downhill, but when the boat comes towards them it goes off a cliff. When it focuses on the cops again, it is back downhill, making the boat look like it got into the air from nowhere.
- Even though it is the final boating school exam for the year, SpongeBob says that he will see Mrs. Puff next Tuesday. However, it is possible it was the last Tuesday of the year.
- There are candles on top of SpongeBob's bedposts that are lit. When SpongeBob's mom turns the lights out in his room, the candles go out too.
- In this episode, SpongeBob's room is missing his alarm clock and the top part of his bed.
- When SpongeBob climbs inside Boaty, he is wearing socks. Although, seconds before, his socks fell on Boaty's floor.
- Boaty is much wider than Mrs. Puff's front door, though it still ends up in Mrs. Puff's house. It's possible that Boaty got into Mrs. Puff's house through backside off-screen.
- When SpongeBob is being grated by cheese graters, his eyes come out the graters twice.
- When Mrs. Puff yells, "Extra Credit!," runs to SpongeBob with his unicycle, and leads him back into the classroom, the unicycle disappears.
- When Mrs. Puff imagines the chaos and destruction caused by SpongeBob driving, it shows the news report. It says "Live," but at the end the of the news report, when SpongeBob runs over the reporter, the reporter says "let's not use that take..."
- The cliff that the police car is parked next to disappears in the next shot.
- When SpongeBob goes to Boaty, he has casts on his head. In the next shot when he is out the window, his head casts disappear from here and for the rest of the episode.
- The accident phone number where it says "accident" is misspelled as "accidente." This is actually a Spanish word that translates to "accident." However, this is not an error in the Spanish dub of this episode.
- In Mrs. Puff's daydream of SpongeBob being on the road, the sign besides the bus is white.
|This page uses content from Wikipedia (original • authors). Both Encyclopedia SpongeBobia and Wikipedia are licensed under the CC BY-SA 3.0 Unported license.|
|Awards and nominations for SpongeBob SquarePants (V • E)