- SpongeBob SquarePants
- Gary the Snail
- Chair monster (debut)
- Branch monster (debut)
- Squidward Tentacles
- Eugene H. Krabs
- Face in the darkness (debut)
- Debbie Rechid
- Shelley (cameo)
- Patrick Star
- Pinky (name appears on sign)
- Barnacle Boy
- Mermaid Man
- Moth (debut)
SpongeBob reads a scary book before bedtime. Because of this, he sees scary creatures when he turns off the light, such as the chair being a monstrous brain beast and a coral branch tapping the window as a monster's hand.
When at the Krusty Krab, he gets terrified of a pot on his head, then tells Mr. Krabs that if he blinks, he sees something scary. He then tries not to blink, but it does not work. He then gets spooked by the dark in the freezer when Mr. Krabs wanted him to get some fresh Krabby Patties. Mr. Krabs tells SpongeBob to get a Night Lights so he won't be scared of the dark. He first buys one and however, buys more when he finds darkness in his house because he is easy to fool. Eventually, there are thousands of night lights in every room that he does not need.
Patrick wakes up and sees SpongeBob's house lit up. He thinks SpongeBob is throwing a party and goes to his house, but SpongeBob warns him about the dark so he brings his rock inside SpongeBob's pineapple. While getting more night lights, Squidward tells them that they have too many lights and that the creepy creatures of the dark are just their imagination. While SpongeBob and Patrick get a lighthouse, it makes a giant "M" in the sky so Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy come. Meanwhile, the Moth, one of Mermaid Man's enemies who he has been searching 10 years for, finds the light, but SpongeBob traps him inside the lighthouse. The Moth then carries the lighthouse along with the pineapple.
SpongeBob and Patrick are alone in the dark until the sun rises. Patrick goes up to get it, thinking it is a light and SpongeBob falls asleep. Patrick comes down again on fire shouting "Too much light!"
The original airing has Patrick saying "SpongeBob, can I sleep with you again tonight?" This was changed to "Sleepover!" in reruns.
|( ‣ ) Associated production music|
|( • ) Original music|
|( ◦ ) SpongeBob music|
‣ Happy Sponge Chase Vibes - Nicolas Carr [title card]
‣ Stealth by Night - Jack Coles [SpongeBob reading a scary story]
‣ Tales from the Swamp (c) - Ron Goodwin [SpongeBob sees a monster]
‣ Vibe Q Sting - Nicolas Carr ["Oh, it's just a chair."]
‣ Terror by Night - Hubert Clifford [SpongeBob turning his lamp on and off]
‣ When Daylight Shines/Captain Lenoe's - Michael Arthur, Colin Cater, Mick Graves, The Folk Players, Sarah Graves, Simon Ritchie [Krusty Krab exterior]
‣ Steel Licks (d) - Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob enters, tired]
‣ Tales from the Swamp (a) - Ron Goodwin [SpongeBob with a pot over his head]
‣ Terror by Night - Hubert Clifford [SpongeBob screaming whenever he blinks]
‣ Harp Ding - Nicolas Carr [Spongebob gets an idea]
‣ Steel Licks (a) - Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob's eyelids propped open]
‣ Finger of Fear - Fredric Bayco [scary face in the freezer]
‣ Steel Licks (b) - Jeremy Wakefield [Krabs pulls SpongeBob off the ceiling]
‣ Keel Row - Brian Peters [Krabs tells SpongeBob to get a night light]
‣ Shoppers World - Harry Bluestone [SpongeBob shopping]
‣ Abject Terror - Paul Lewis [SpongeBob screams]
‣ Shoppers World - Harry Bluestone [SpongeBob goes back to the mart]
‣ Abject Terror - Paul Lewis [SpongeBob screams 2nd time]
‣ Shoppers World - Harry Bluestone [SpongeBob goes back to the mart]
‣ Abject Terror - Paul Lewis [SpongeBob screams 3rd time]
‣ Shoppers World - Harry Bluestone [SpongeBob goes to the mart repeatedly]
‣ Tomfoolery - David Snell [SpongeBob putting night lights everywhere]
‣ Voodoo Victim - Gilbert Vinter ["I've got darkness inside of me!"]
‣ Steel Sting (a) - Jeremy Wakefield [Patrick wakes up]
‣ Goofy Conversation - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony ["SpongeBob's having a party without me?"]
‣ Murder in Mind [#46] - Ronald Hanmer ["That was close, Patrick."]
‣ Murder in Mind [#47] - Ronald Hanmer [Patrick pushes his rock into SpongeBob's house]
‣ Star Parade - Tony Kinsey ["Sleepover!"]
‣ Brass Flourish (a) - Barrie Hingley ["Your sleeping bag, sir."]
‣ Tripping Upstairs - Brian Peters [SpongeBob and Patrick hopping]
‣ Lap Steel - Nicolas Carr [gaping hole]
‣ Six Powerful Cues (d) - Wilfred William Burns ["THE DARK!"]
‣ Graveyard - Johnny Pearson [Squidward asleep]
‣ Drama Link (d) - Hubert Clifford [Squidward's eyes burned]
‣ Tension Bits - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob, Patrick whimpering]
‣ Dramatic Cue (h) - Ronald Hanmer ["I can feel it, Pat."]
‣ Comic Walk - Sidney Torch ["It's me, Squidward, you idiots."]
‣ Fates [#62.02] - Gregor F. Narholz ["No, Squidward! Don't go out in the dark!"]
‣ Sponge Monger - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield ["Quick, SpongeBob, turn it on."]
‣ Potato Chips - Wade Denning [Pinky's Dance Studio sign]
‣ Sponge Monger - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [more lights]
‣ Mermaid Man Sting - Nicolas Carr [M signal]
‣ Happy and Gay [#67.02] - Harry Bluestone, Emil Cadkin [Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy watching TV]
‣ Life on the Wild Side - Sam Spence [Mermaid Man sees the signal]
‣ Sponge Monger - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield ["More lights, SpongeBob, more lights!"]
‣ Nude Sting - Nicolas Carr ["Mermaid Man!"/"Barnacle Boy!"]
‣ Mermaid Man Sting - Nicolas Carr [signal]
‣ Seaweed - Steve Belfer [SpongeBob explains]
‣ Brave and Bold - Chris Payne, Paul Rogers [moth appears]
‣ Six Powerful Cues (a) - Wilfred William Burns ["Dear Neptune!"]
‣ Caped Crusader - David Farnon ["Come get some... fiend!"]
‣ Ramblin' Man from Gramblin' - Sam Spence [Absorbo-Pants]
‣ The Beast Within - Paddy Kingsland ["Savory light, come to me."]
‣ Ramblin' Man from Gramblin' - Sam Spence [moth trapped]
‣ Cellar Search - Philippe Pares [moth flies away with SpongeBob's house]
‣ Alekoki - Kapono Beamer [Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy leave]
‣ Hawaiian Cocktail - Richard Myhill ["We're all alone, Patrick."]
‣ Parting of the Clouds - Nicolas Carr [sunrise]
‣ Old Hilo March - Kapono Beamer [ending]
- This episode is available on Friend or Foe?, Season 5 Volume 1, Complete Fifth Season, and First 100 Episodes DVDs.
- As of August 17, 2016, The Internet Movie Database (IMDB) gives this episode a rating of 7.1/10 based on 156 ratings by users. TV.com users give this episode a rating of 7.7/10 based on 119 votes.
- The episode was available on the Friend or Foe? DVD, released earlier in 2007, before it aired on television.
- The beginning of this episode is similar to that of "Krab Borg."
- SpongeBob develops a fear to something after seeing something scary and keeps overreacting in both episodes.
- The novel SpongeBob reads breaks its fourth wall, talking about the author dying before finishing the story.
- SpongeBob develops boogophobia, a phobia of the boogeyman.
- Running gag: SpongeBob getting more lights.
- It is revealed that Squidward has a mirror on his bedroom ceiling.
- The episode jumps out off topic, from night light matters to a Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy conflict.
- The opposite happens in "Have You Seen This Snail?" where it was meant to be a Mermaid man and Barnacle Boy episode, but then went to a "where is it?" plot.
- Double irony: A normal child with a fear of the dark would usually sleep with only one night light. SpongeBob, out of desperation and fear, buys way too many night lights to light up the pineapple in the most impossible way since one night light wasn't enough for him and he wasn't able to get any sleep until the end of the episode.
- This is the first appearance of Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy in an episode that does not have their names in the episode title.
- Chronologically, the unofficial name of the episode is "Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy VII," but the sequencing stopped after "Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy VI: The Motion Picture."
- This is the last episode written by Chris Mitchell.
- This episode premiered on Jim Wise's 43rd birthday.
- This episode was paired up with "Yeti Krabs" during the Massive Monster Mayhem Marathon.
- The Big "M" signal in the sky is a reference to the Bat-Signal from Batman.
- The Moth looks similar to Superman, the Owlman, and Mothman.
- He is also a parody of Killer Moth.
- Patrick looks out his window, thinking SpongeBob is having a party. However, most of Patrick's house is underground, so this is impossible and Patrick never had a window in other episodes.
- When Patrick watches SpongeBob's house, he sees it from an impossible angle, because Squidward's house is between them.
- When the lighthouse shines its light through the pineapple, at first the "M" looks like it has more of a curve, but when Mermaid Man finds out the signal is a false alarm, the signal looks like a normal "M."
- When Patrick is in SpongeBob's mouth after Squidward scares them, he comes out after Squidward tells them it is him, but without his sleeping hat. The next shot where he is seen, his hat is back on his head.
- When SpongeBob asks Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy if they're at his house to protect them from the darkness, he doesn't have any legs.
- When SpongeBob and Patrick meet Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy, they are all outside. After the shot with the letter "M," they are all in the pineapple.
- When Moth lifts up SpongeBob's entire pineapple, only the very top should go since it detached from the rest of the house.