"New Leaf" is a SpongeBob SquarePants episode from season four. In this episode, Plankton turns the Chum Bucket into a gift shop.
Mr Krabs looks at the Chum Bucket. Then, Plankton tells Mr. Krabs that he gives up his restaurant and turns it into a souvenir shop that sells knick-knacks. Mr. Krabs does not believe this, and he tries to lure Plankton out. It fails, and Mr. Krabs decides to go to the store himself. He then confronts Plankton, and, in a rage, he destroys many of Plankton's items. Finally, Mr. Krabs realizes that Plankton is telling the truth about his surrender and walks away in shame.
Later, Mr. Krabs calls Plankton, apologizes for what he did, and he takes Plankton to a carnival. After having so much fun, Mr. Krabs decides to share the secret Krabby Patty formula with Plankton. Plankton refuses to take it, but eventually, Krabs talks him into taking the paper.
The scene fades to black, but after a few minutes, Plankton pops out and laughs evilly with the formula held above him. Plankton reveals that the knick-knack store was merely a trick to get the formula and that he was lying all along. He prepares to read the formula, but it is revealed to be a note that says: "Gotcha! - ♥ Krabs" Mr. Krabs arrives, stating he actually never gave Plankton the formula and explains that he knew that he was lying and that Plankton had fooled him with a bigger scheme. The episode ends with Plankton screaming in anger and frustration.
‣ Puka A
|( ‣ ) Associated production music|
|( • ) Original music|
|( ◦ ) SpongeBob music|
- Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [title card]
‣ Taps - Plankton waving a truce flag
‣ The Tip Top Polka/The Cliff Polka - Chelmsford Folk Band ["I wonder what form of trickery is up his sleeve this time."]
‣ Vibe Q Sting - Nicolas Carr ["What is this?"]
‣ Hawaiian Flower - Jon Jelmer ["I'm through competing with you!"]
‣ Hawaiian Cocktail - Richard Myhill [inside the Chum Bucket]
‣ Tomfoolery - David Snell [box of knickknacks]
‣ Steel Licks (a) - Jeremy Wakefield ["What's going on, Mr. Krabs?"]
‣ Steel Sting - Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob's eyes peeled]
‣ Ta-Ra (a) - Sammy Burdson, John Charles Fiddy [Chumporium opened]
‣ Unknown Track 48 - "I have a feeling I'm gonna like this new life of novelty items."
‣ Furtive Footsteps - Paddy Kingsland [snow globe]
‣ Against the Law (b) - Wilfred William Burns [Krabs going paranoid]
‣ Harp Ding - Nicolas Carr [DJ system]
‣ Lap Steel - Nicolas Carr ["Let's party!"]
‣ MC DJ SquarePants - Nicolas Carr [dance music]
‣ Heavy Footsteps (a) - Paddy Kingsland ["Come on, buddy, let's get some shuteye."]
‣ Housewives Choice - Harry Bluestone, Emil Cadkin [Krabs enters the Chumporium]
‣ Background Blues - Otto Sieben ["I get it, you caught me red-handed."]
‣ Vibe Sting - Nicolas Carr ["Wait, did you say... no?"]
‣ Six Powerful Cues (f) - Wilfred William Burns [Krabs destroying knickknacks]
‣ Hawaiian Cocktail - Richard Myhill [Plankton's upset]
‣ Vibe Sting - Nicolas Carr ["What's this?"]
‣ Fates [#61] - Gregor F. Narholz ["Can't you understand I've wasted so much time chasing after you?"]
‣ Lap Steel - Nicolas Carr [Plankton taking a shower]
‣ Kamakani (b) - Kapono Beamer [Krabs on the phone]
‣ Friends and Neighbours - Alan Hawkshaw [montage of Krabs and Plankton together]
‣ The Dreadnought Tea Clipper (b) - Tim Laycock, Robert Alexander White ["That was truly amazing, Plank, old buddy."]
‣ Tearjerker [#77] - Harry Bluestone, Emil Cadkin [Krabs gives Plankton the formula]
‣ Zelle 502 - Gerhard Trede ["Yeah, baby! This is it!"]
‣ Unknown Hawaiian Sting (a) - Jeremy Wakefield [The formula is fake.]
‣ Clownfish Capers - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [ending]
- As of August 11, 2016, The Internet Movie Database (IMDB) gives this episode a rating of 7.4/10 based on 149 ratings by users. TV.com users give this episode a rating of 7.9/10 based on 130 votes.
- "New Leaf" was ranked #6 during the Best Day Ever event on November 9–10, 2006.
- This was the first episode produced in 2006 according to the credits. All of the episodes that aired earlier in 2006 were all made in 2005 according to the credits.
- After "Help Wanted" and "Plankton!"
- A little after 3:26 PM: Mr. Krabs enters the Krusty Krab after Plankton surrenders.
- This episode was available on the Karate Island DVD before it aired on television.
- Mr. Krabs mentions the episode title when he says "Okay, boys, the coast is clear. Plankton's turned over a new leaf."
- Mr. Krabs tells Squidward to dance or be fired. Squidward dances with fear as if he does not want to lose his job. This is one of the few instances in which he expresses concern over getting fired; another instance was previously shown in "Can You Spare a Dime?"
- The items sold at The Chumporium include lava lamps, snow globes, teddy bears, and t-shirts. Plankton also mentions it selling bubble gum.
- This episode foreshadows "Friend or Foe" - Plankton says "Let's go back to the old days;" Mr. Krabs' and Plankton were not revealed to be ex-friends until "Friend or Foe."
- This episode premiered four years after the Employee of the Month video game was released.
- In the Polish dub, the episode's title is "Nowy rozdział," which translates to "New Chapter."
- The scene where Mr. Krabs destroys The Chumporium store is similar to the scene in the movie Falling Down when protagonist Bill Foster destroys a convenience store.
- The title card music is frozen for a split second when the title card appears. Then it plays as normal.
- In "Imitation Krabs," Robot Krabs was destroyed in an explosion, but in this episode, the robot is seen again in the pile of junk from previous episodes, without a scratch on it.
- Plankton tells a seal toy that they need some rest for the next day and leaves the Chum Bucket, even though he lives there.
- When Mr. Krabs comes into the store to talk with Plankton, he is wiping one of his snow globes with a rag; he puts it down to talk with Mr. Krabs, but it disappears afterward.
- When Plankton and Mr. Krabs come into the Krusty Krab to talk, Plankton gets on the soda and starts drinking it. However, in the next shot, it is gone.
- When Mr. Krabs and Plankton play pool, Plankton knocks in the eight ball and says, "I guess I won." Technically, knocking in the eight ball in any game of pool means he lost.
- After Plankton opens the "gotcha!" letter, Mr. Krabs bursts through the door of the Chum Bucket. However, the door is transparent with rectangular knobs rather than the usual red with round windows.
- Normally, Plankton's mouth is red, but in this episode, it is purple.
- In the closing credits to this episode, Doug Lawrence, who voices Plankton, is not credited. Instead, Lawrence voicing Larry the Lobster is credited, even though Larry is not seen nor heard in this episode.
- This episode originally had "The" at the beginning of the title, making the title The New Leaf. It was called "The New Leaf" during the Best Day Ever marathon. It is also called "The New Leaf" on the Nickelodeon schedule.
- Comcast uses this title as well.
- On recent airings of this episode, the description says the name of this episode is "The New Leaf."