- Squidward Tentacles
- Patrick Star
- The Landlord
- SpongeBob SquarePants
- Howard (debut)
- Daydream Howard
- Daydream Dave
- Daydream Evelyn
- Daydream Audience
SynopsisFor weeks, Squidward has been working on his music and finished putting down the notes to perform with his clarinet. Before he could start, a sound from his neighbors let him drop his entire work onto the flame of a candle that burned on both sides, therefore, his work was destroyed. Going outside to investigate the sounds, he finds Patrick hammering a sign on his front lawn. When SpongeBob suggests Patrick to hammer it one more time, the hammer pushed it all to way into the gravel, only to destroy the sign. Squidward went to his neighbors complaining, asking what the noise was about. SpongeBob replies by saying that Patrick is renting out some property. A delighted Squidward thought Patrick was moving out, only to find that he was actually renting out his yard for extra cash. SpongeBob asked Squidward to be on the lookout for takers who might want to stay on the yard while the duo goes jellyfishing. For a while, the cultural neighbor was enjoying peace from his neighbors, only to be interrupted by a resident named Howard. Lying to Howard about the rent sign being outdated, Howard plans to leave until Squidward said he was just kidding after Howard said he would have wanted to do many things that Squidward also enjoys. Howard invites Squidward for some tea and wants to discuss each other and the other neighbors. SpongeBob and Patrick return finding Howard's mobile home and Patrick is excited about meeting the new neighbor who hates what Patrick and his friend does. Knowing that the two would convince Howard to leave, Squidward makes plans to hide the peaceful neighbor from SpongeBob and Patrick. Thinking that the new neighbor is shy, they wanted to come back later which was really soon.
When they are back, Howard and Squidward are performing with their instruments on some music. Hearing SpongeBob's laugh, Squidward tries to hide it as his clarinet being broken. Instead of fixing it, he makes a wooden fence, followed by a stone wall then Squidward puts zippers to "shut" their mouths and then bulldozing SpongeBob and Patrick's houses off a cliff making the two follow it. Howard saw enough hiding and wanted to see the secrets behind the laughing and found the jelly fishers who were also playing with bubbles. Before stopping them, he got used to the jellyfish and bubbles and become one of the annoying neighbors.
Much to his dismay, Squidward gets mad and couldn't tolerate three, so he brought Howard's mobile home out of place and pushed it off a cliff. Squidward became disappointed for almost having a decent neighbor, so SpongeBob and Patrick tried to cheer him up by having him pop a bubble. He goes along with it, but the bubble keeps floating away, Squidward goes after it and jumps the cliff and got a hard landing, leaving him exclaiming at SpongeBob and Patrick, "Jellyfishing bubble blowers!"
This section is in need of cleanup in order to comply with Encyclopedia SpongeBobia's Manual of Style. Please help Encyclopedia SpongeBobia by making this section specific and short.
|( ‣ ) Associated production music|
|( • ) Original music|
|( ◦ ) SpongeBob music|
‣ Unknown Track 1 - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [title card]
‣ Steel Sting - Jeremy Wakefield [burning the candle at both ends]
‣ Drama Link (g) - Hubert Clifford [sheet music burned]
‣ Steel Sting (b) - Jeremy Wakefield ["Now I'm flummoxed."]
‣ Coconut Cream Pie - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield ["Hit it one more time, Patrick."]
‣ A Jolly Jaunt (a) - Dick Stephen Walter ["Can you smell yourself think?"]
‣ A Jolly Jaunt (c) - Dick Stephen Walter ["Oh I would love to."]
‣ A Jolly Jaunt (d) - Dick Stephen Walter [Squidward checks his planner]
‣ Lap Steel - Nicolas Carr [Squidward's to-do list]
‣ Hide and Seek - Arthur Wilkinson [Squidward drinking tea/"Now what are those two boobs up to?"]
‣ Vibe Sting - Nicolas Carr ["Huh?"]
‣ Hide and Seek - Arthur Wilkinson [Howard introduced]
‣ Befuddled Gent - Phil Green ["Is this yard still for rent?"]
‣ Hide and Seek - Arthur Wilkinson [Howard lists his passions]
‣ Befuddled Gent - Phil Green ["I can hardly believe what I'm hearing!"]
‣ Hollywood Glitz [#10] - Harry Bluestone, Emil Cadkin [Squidward's daydream]
‣ Unknown Hawaiian Sting (f) - Jeremy Wakefield [Howard about to leave]
‣ Dramatic Impact 2 - Ivor Slaney [Howard slams the brakes]
‣ Unknown Track 33 - "Wait! Don't go!"
‣ Flower Display - Jack Shaindlin [inside Howard's trailer]
‣ Cartoon Sting 1 - SpongeBob and Patrick return from jellyfishing
‣ Bumbling (b) - Bernd Gesell [Squidward nervous]
‣ Seaweed - Steve Belfer ["Did you see the way those curtains jerked shut?"]
‣ ? - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony [clarinet/bassoon duet]
‣ Sponge Monger - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Squidward builds a fence around Howard's trailer]
‣ ? - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony [clarinet/basson duet]
‣ Sponge Monger - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Squidward builds a wall of cinder block around Howard's trailer/Squidward paints zippers on SpongeBob and Patrick's mouths/Squidward pushes SpongeBob and Patrick's house's off a cliff.]
‣ Steel Sting (a) - Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob, Patrick blowing bubbles]
‣ Befuddled Gent - Phil Green ["Repulsive!"]
‣ Slide Whistle Song - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Howard joins SpongeBob, Patrick]
‣ Coconut Cream Pie - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [ending]
- This episode is available on the Complete Seventh Season DVD.
- As of August 8, 2016, The Internet Movie Database (IMDB) gives this episode a rating of 6.5/10 based on 84 ratings by users. TV.com users give this episode a 6.9/10 based on 8 votes.
- This episode first aired with the episode "Big Sister Sam."
- This is the fourth time one or more characters are submerged down a cliff. The first four are "Rock Bottom," "20,000 Patties Under the Sea," and "Patrick SmartPants."
- Running Gag: Characters jumping off a cliff and Squidward building stuff around Howard's motor house.
- This episode was going to be originally paired with "Perfect Chemistry," but it aired with "Big Sister Sam," then it got paired with "Love That Squid."
- As of this episode, it remains unconfirmed if Howard will appear again in the series.
- This episode has the same title card as "Perfect Chemistry," but green and side ways, which is also similar to "Porous Pockets."
- This is the first episode of 2011.
- The instrument Howard was playing is called a bassoon.
- Just like this episode's sister, "Love That Squid," they both have on Squidward being happy.
- Howard's bassoon is much smaller compared to a bassoon in real life.
- During one part of this episode, there is a clarinet and bassoon feature playing in the background. Ironically, Howard was playing the bassoon and Squidward was playing the clarinet.
- Squidward could have gotten arrested for moving SpongeBob's and Patrick's houses with a bulldozer.
- This episode premiered on Andrea Martin's 64th birthday, nine years after SuperSponge was released in Australia, and four years after the premiere of "The Thing" and "Hocus Pocus."
- This episode’s title card is similar to the title card of "Porous Pockets" with the difference that the scales on the card are colored differently and the scales are pointing at a different direction.
- The title of this episode is probably a play on The Eagle's song "New Kid in Town."
- SpongeBob says "Something Squidward, this way comes," a reference to a line from William Shakespeare's 'Macbeth', and the song from the movie Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban.
- Squidward built a brick wall around the mobile home, the window shows the sky, not the bricks. He might have built it only on the sides and front.
- When Squidward chased the bubble, it sank down the cliff. But bubbles only float up or float in place, they don't sink.
- It is unknown how SpongeBob knew Howard's name.
- SpongeBob had a jellyfish net in his hand. In the next scene, he did not have it in his hand.
- When Squidward goes outside for the last time, when he said "Just a moment please!," the brick wall is not there.
- In the scene where SpongeBob blows a bubble for Squidward to pop, Patrick's house isn't there.