- SpongeBob SquarePants
- Patrick Star
- Larry the Lobster
- Miss Shell
- Nat Peterson
- Nancy Suzy Fish
- King Neptune (debut)
- Medley Fishbowl
- Abigail Marge
- Nathiel Waters
- Old Man Jenkins
- Frank (citizen)
- Tina Fran
- Jimmy Gus
- Harold "Bill" Reginald
- Vera Fishbowl
- Norma Rechid
- Debbie Rechid
- Gray Ivy
- Frank (red shirt)
- Tom Kenny (cameo)
- Eugene H. Krabs
- Crowd at the Poseidome Colloseium
- Swordfish (debut)
- Don the Whale
- Monroe Timmy
SynopsisFry Cook Museum, where they see a greasy griddle with a golden spatula embedded in the grease. On it is a plaque, which says "Many have tried to pull this spatula out of this ancient grease, but all have failed. Larry the Lobster then attempted to pull it out but failed, SpongeBob then read, only a fry cook who's worthy of King Neptune himself can wield the golden spatula." SpongeBob, while posing for a photo, accidentally and effortlessly pulls it out, and King Neptune appears. He asks who pulled out the spatula, and everyone says SpongeBob. King Neptune refuses to believe this and asks for proof. Patrick shows him the photograph he took, but Neptune still refuses to allow such a lowly being as SpongeBob to become the royal fry cook. He challenges SpongeBob to a patty-making competition. If SpongeBob wins, he will stay at Atlantis forever and become a god. If he loses, he has to give up fry-cooking forever. Patrick continually jeers to Neptune about SpongeBob's skills and says that he could complete up to 500 challenges. He is repeatedly zapped by Neptune 3 times until all that is left of him is a burnt mark on the floor. SpongeBob asks Neptune to revive Patrick, which he does (but with Patrick's face now on his butt). Neptune tried to show SpongeBob the Poseidome, but it shows Tom Kenny showering. In the Poseidome, King Neptune makes 1000 burgers, in the time it takes SpongeBob to make just one, winning the challenge. However, when Neptune shares his patties with the audience, they find that they taste awful. Neptune is angered by this and asks why they would think that SpongeBob's would be any better. He tastes SpongeBob's
patty and finds it to be delicious. Neptune releases the Krabby Patty back to his stomach and eats it again and the audience is disgusted. SpongeBob is declared the winner, but when he finds out that his friends cannot come with him to Atlantis, he refuses to go, and instead arranges for King Neptune to be a trainee under SpongeBob at the Krusty Krab, teaching him that perfect Krabby Patties are made with love, not magic.
|( ‣ ) Associated production music|
|( • ) Original music|
|( ◦ ) SpongeBob music|
‣ The Tale of Ben Hur 1 - Gregor F. Narholz [title card]
‣ Hawaiian Link (a) - Richard Myhill [opening]
‣ Honolulu Lula - Terry Day [opening]
‣ Roman Legion - David Farnon [the golden spatula]
‣ Heavenly Voices (b) - David Farnon [choir]
‣ ? - SpongeBob pulls out the spatula
‣ Gates of Troy - David Farnon [Neptune appears]
‣ A Dangerous Affair [#30] - Richard Myhill ["A fine jest, boy."]
‣ The Black Death - David Farnon [hot dog vendor]
‣ A Dangerous Affair [#30] - Richard Myhill ["It is even funnier a second time!"]
‣ The Black Death - David Farnon [Neptune compliments Larry]
‣ Sunset Strip - Reg Owen [Neptune and Larry making poses]
‣ Brave and Bold - Chris Payne, Paul Rogers ["This joke has gone far enough!"]
‣ In the Taverna - Dick Stephen Walter [photo of SpongeBob holding spatula]
‣ Wargames Linking Section (h) - Keith Mansfield [Patrick zapped.]
‣ Wargames Linking Section (g) - Keith Mansfield [Neptune issues a challenge.]
‣ Battle March Link (f) - Keith Mansfield [Neptune zaps Patrick again]
‣ Salute to Caesar 1 - Gregor F. Narholz ["You will face me in... the ultimate cook-off!"]
‣ Hawaiian Link (a) - Richard Myhill [Patrick's face is on his butt]
‣ Happy Jose - Ulrich Hans Wenzel ["My beloved home of Atlantis."]
‣ Wargames Link (d) - Keith Mansfield [SpongeBob has to give up fry cooking if he loses]
‣ Timpani Signal 1 - Sammy Burdson ["Very well, then. To the Poseidome!"]
‣ Roman Legion - David Farnon [the ultimate cook-off]
‣ The Tip Top Polka/The Cliff Polka - Chelmsford Folk Band ["Don't worry, lad."]
‣ Whisper from the Past [#64] - Gregor F. Narholz ["Don't give up your dream, SpongeBob."]
‣ Entry of the Heroes (e) - Gregor F. Narholz [played during the challenge]
‣ Entry of the Heroes (a) - Gregor F. Narholz [played during the challenge]
‣ Time for Bed [#35.02] - Mark Emney ["Once upon a time..."]
‣ Caesar's Entry - Gregor F. Narholz [Neptune wins]
‣ Short Fanfare [#29] - Alfred Kluten ["Free patties for everyone!"]
‣ The Oracle - David Farnon [Neptune eats SpongeBob's patty]
‣ Historical Fanfare [#32.07] - Gerhard Narholz [audience cheers]
‣ Vibe Link (b) - Richard Myhill ["You mean Patrick can't come?"]
‣ Hawaiian Cocktail - Richard Myhill ["It was nice knowing you, buddy."]
‣ Short Fanfare [#29.03] - Alfred Kluten [bicycle appears]
‣ Hawaiian Cocktail - Richard Myhill [SpongeBob cries]
‣ Power and Glory - Gregor F. Narholz [Neptune turns SpongeBob into a god]
‣ The Twin Sisters - Chelmsford Folk Band [ending]
- As of February 3, 2017, The Internet Movie Database (IMDB) gives this episode a rating of 8.6/10 based on 291 ratings by users. TV.com users give this episode a 8.9/10 based on 184 votes.
- "Neptune's Spatula" was ranked #42 during the Best Day Ever event on November 9–10, 2006.
- On The Winner Take All Sunday, this episode was #10.
- This episode is available on the Fear of a Krabby Patty, Complete 1st Season, First 100 Episodes, and SpongeBob, You're Fired! DVDs.
- Running Gag: King Neptune zapping Patrick.
- This is the first appearance of King Neptune.
- This is one of few times SpongeBob is seen working the register.
- The Poseidome and King Neptune reappear in the video game Battle for Bikini Bottom.
- In the beginning of the episode Patrick wears his usual green swim trunks with purple flowers, along with a green baseball cap, a lavender shirt, and a camera. Patrick also wears this outfit throughout most of the PC game Employee of the Month.
- Much like episodes that aired in Indonesia, the scene where Poseidome was shown often, if not always, cut. This is done due to time constraints.
- In Bahasa Indonesia, Patrick's lines during the conversation with King Neptune are more profane or insulting than in the original version, and include:
- "He is the new royal fry cook and you..." was changed to "He is a royal chef and you the hell know that!!"
- "Bring it on! SpongeBob can handle any... " was changed to "Just bring the hell it on! SpongeBob can handle anything!!!!"
- "Only two? What are two challenges to someone like SpongeBob?" was changed to "Only two? Two challenges to someone like SpongeBob!?"
- "Three? [laughs] Three challenges is nothing. Might as well make it 500 challenges!" was changed to "Just three? [laughs] Three challenges is nothing at all. Might as well make it 500 challenges!"
- A completely different King Neptune appears in The SpongeBob SquarePants Movie, and yet another different Neptune appears in the live-action segment of "Party Pooper Pants." However, the Neptune from this episode makes a brief reappearance in "SpongeBob vs. The Patty Gadget." In "Krusty Towers." Squidward mentions King Neptune XIV, which would explain that there are multiple incarnations of Neptune. Also, the same Neptune from this episode appeared in "The Clash of Triton" and "Hello Bikini Bottom!"
- The man taking a shower in the live-action sequence is actually Tom Kenny himself. This is Tom Kenny's third live-action cameo.
- Neptune has a real-life human hand when SpongeBob asks him to fix Patrick. Except that the human hand skin color is changed to green for Neptune.
- This the first episode where Atlantis was shown, the second was "Atlantis SquarePantis," where SpongeBob actually goes to Atlantis but it looked much different.
- This is the last episode where Fred Miller is an animation director.
- In "Shanghaied" when Patrick is arguing about their amount of wishes with the Flying Dutchman, it is a reference to this episode. The SpongeBob SquarePants Movie also references this episode when Patrick says that SpongeBob can do less than 10 days to get King Neptune's crown back and get attacked by SpongeBob and Mr. Krabs. In this episode, Patrick does something similar. Patrick says Neptune isn't giving SpongeBob enough challenges, and Neptune zaps Patrick.
- Plus, both Mr. Krabs and Patrick get revived at one point. Mr. Krabs is revived from being frozen at the end of the movie and Patrick is revived after SpongeBob accepts Neptune's challenge.
- Just like "I Was a Teenage Gary" and "The Paper," this episode is never broadcast as much on TV because it is paired up with a holiday episode. It has been broadcast more often as of late, though.
- On SpongeBob's Grillin' and Villain Saturday, this episode was rated TV-Y instead of TV-Y7.
- Miss Shell's eyes are seen in this episode (they are always behind her sunglasses in other episodes) and she has a male voice when she says "Holy smokes."
- In this episode, Larry has white stripes on his back, though in other episodes he does not.
- On the old Nickelodeon website, this episode was falsely listed as "The Spatula and the Stove."
- This is the third episode where the Krusty Krab is present, but Squidward isn't. The first is "Suds" and the second is "Arrgh!"
- The spatula in the grease is a parody of the Arthurian legend of Excalibur, or the sword in the stone, in which whoever pulls the sword from the stone would become the King of England.
- The Poseidome is named after Poseidon, the Greek god of the sea (Neptune being the Roman god).
- In most another episode the grill is either right outside the window or at the backside in/of the kitchen. In this episode, the grill is on a side wall.
- Neptune appears to change size throughout the episode.
- Unlike some other characters such as SpongeBob, Kevin the Sea Cucumber, and Sandy who have four fingers, Neptune has five fingers on each hand in this episode. However, he has four fingers in "The Clash of Triton." This could be although this could be a technical fault since four fingers were easier to draw for some artists. It could also be because of the fact that King Neptune is a god which gives him the power to change several things including himself.
- When Patrick takes the picture of SpongeBob holding the spatula, he has his mouth wide open and there are clouds above him. However, when Patrick shows Neptune the picture, SpongeBob is smiling and there are no clouds, just light.
- When SpongeBob was showing Neptune his blue and red underwear, he lets go of the golden spatula. It was supposed to fall onto the ground, but it stays there instead.
- When Neptune says SpongeBob needs to be "left-handed," SpongeBob says he has two left hands, but later, his hands are normal. Plus, in "The Splinter" and "You Don't Know Sponge," he is revealed to be ambidextrous.
- When SpongeBob speaks to Neptune in the kitchen at the end, the walls are light blue instead of teal in the long shots.
- When SpongeBob is standing on the grease the spatula is as tall as him. But when he is cooking in the challenge, it is the normal length like Spat.
- Neptune's Spatula at the Internet Movie Database
|This page uses content from Wikipedia (original • authors). Both Encyclopedia SpongeBobia and Wikipedia are licensed under the CC BY-SA 3.0 Unported license.|
|Awards and nominations for SpongeBob SquarePants (V • E)
Golden Reel Awards