Squidward has made a delicious soufflé, but SpongeBob and Patrick's constant laughing distracts him from enjoying it. Squidward sees that they are having a private conversation with bubbles. They whisper a message into the bubble wand instead of blowing into it, and when the bubble pops, the message can be heard.
Annoyed by that, Squidward makes bubbles of his own, imitating SpongeBob and Patrick, but insulting them both. Thinking the bubbles are from the other, SpongeBob and Patrick become angry and get into a fight, eventually declaring that they are no longer friends. Squidward comes outside and eats his soufflé while laughing, but in doing so, he chokes on the fork. Patrick saves his life by performing CPR on him (which is basically blowing him up and as the air comes out, the fork can be seen spluttering in between his lips) and becomes Squidward's friend. Inside Squidward's house, Patrick falls asleep while Squidward plays a composition called "Solitude in E Minor" on his clarinet, and Squidward pulls him outside. While doing this, his back cracks and SpongeBob sees this as an opportunity to help him. He bumps into Squidward's back and thus becomes Squidward's friend.
Inside, SpongeBob plays a song (badly) for Squidward on his Double Bass (which he thinks is a bassinet) and when Patrick appears in the window and interrupts the song, SpongeBob destroys the instrument in a fit of rage, and Squidward kicks him out. Squidward then tries to take a bath but Patrick is in the tub. SpongeBob appears in the window and sees this, and he and Patrick begin arguing again, driving Squidward crazy.
Squidward decides to invite Patrick and SpongeBob to a dinner party (without telling either of them that the other is coming) in order to repair their friendship. When they arrive, they are still mad at each other. Squidward tries to get them back together, but the situation devolves into a competition to see who can drink the most soda and thus become Squidward's best friend. Squidward runs out of soda and leaves to get some more. While he is gone, SpongeBob and Patrick, who have become literally inflated from all the soda, begin to hiccup small bubbles that make a burping sound when they burst. They find this amusing and become friends again, but they create so many bubbles that Squidward's house explodes. Squidward orders them out and slams the door. A bubble pops over the door, which then falls over on Squidward, moaning 'Ohhhh! My back...' as the episode ends.
|( ‣ ) Associated production music|
|( • ) Original music|
|( ◦ ) SpongeBob music|
‣ Hawaiian Train - Victor Cavini [title card]
‣ Nostalgic Hawaii - Jan Rap [opening]
‣ SpongeBob Closing Theme - Steve Belfer, Nicolas Carr [SpongeBob and Patrick blowing bubbles]
‣ Gator - Steve Belfer [Squidward blowing bubbles]
‣ Death Trap - Gregor F. Narholz [Squidward choking]
‣ Oyster Girls - Robert Alexander White [Patrick does CPR on him]
‣ Grass Skirts Blowing - Jan Rap ["Wow, Patrick, you saved me!"]
‣ Wishful Thinking - Richard Myhill [Squidward starts playing clarinet]
‣ Botany Bay (b) - Robert Alexander White [SpongeBob's lonely]
‣ Heroes Win 60 - Gregor F. Narholz [SpongeBob saves Squidward]
‣ On the Beach - Kapono Beamer ["Thanks, SpongeBob."]
‣ Hawaiian Link (b) - Richard Myhill [Squidward kicks SpongeBob out]
‣ Shock (c) - Dave Hewson [Patrick in Squidward's bathtub]
‣ Fates [#61.03] - Gregor F. Narholz [SpongeBob and Patrick argue]
‣ Hawaiian Link (b) - Richard Myhill [later...]
‣ Hawaiian Train - Victor Cavini [Squidward invites SpongeBob and Patrick over]
‣ Maui Beach - Hans Haider [SpongeBob and Patrick left alone]
‣ Grass Skirts Blowing - Jan Rap [ending]
- This episode is available on the SpongeGuard on Duty, Complete First Season, and First 100 Episodes DVDs.
- As of January 14, 2015, The Internet Movie Database (IMDB) gives this episode a rating of 8.5/10 based on 288 ratings by users. TV.com users give this episode a 8.4/10 based on 258 votes.
- There are 8 pineapples on the title card.
- Squidward's "Solitude in E Minor" is not in E minor. It is impossible to tell what key it is in as there are only two notes. Though there are keys that it can not be in, which are:
- G major, D major, A major, E major, B major, F# major, C# major, C♭ major, F♭ major
- E minor, B minor, F# minor, C# minor, G# minor, D# minor, A# minor, E♭ minor
- When SpongeBob asks Squidward to play an A, he actually plays a B♭/A#.
- Patrick's barbecue grill from this episode appears again in "The Card" and "Patrick's Staycation."
- The room of SpongeBob's house seen in this episode is completely empty and dark.
- On one airing, after The SpongeBob SquarePants Movie showing, the cut-short version of the Nickelodeon Movies logo from the 2002 film called "Hey Arnold!: The Movie" was shown before this episode.
- This was the first episode that Sherm Cohen and Aaron Springer worked on.
- This is the first episode of the series where the "a"s in the crew member's names were not filled in. It has remained this way since. "Plankton!" was the last episode to have filled in "a"s.
- Squidward's impression of SpongeBob has a New Jersey accent.
- This episode goes to show how gullible SpongeBob and Patrick are, as they fall for Squidward's terrible impressions.
- It is revealed that in spite of his low intellect, Patrick can correctly utilize CPR.
- This episode reveals what the backside of SpongeBob's, Squidward's and Patrick's houses look like.
- When Squidward goes into the bathroom and screams and the scene cuts to Patrick in Squidward's bath, it has become an internet fad called Guess who's in Squidward's bath which has a scary or funny face replacing Patrick's face.
- SpongeBob's quote "Score one for the boys back home" was reused in "Snowball Effect" and the The SpongeBob SquarePants Movie video game.
- When Squidward uses his keys to unlock the door, there was an explosion. Then Squidward bites his hand and opens the door, already unlocked. The explosion might have broken the lock on the door, though.
- When Patrick falls asleep when Squidward plays, "Solitude in E minor," it has an internet fad call Patrick thinks [song, singer or band] is boring where a scene of a song will play and the scene where Patrick is asleep then plays.
- SpongeBob said he has been playing a bassinet for years. However, a bassinet is a type of cradle. SpongeBob was actually playing the double bass or a contrabass, though the specific instrument he was playing resembled an instrument called a "viola da gamba," a baroque instrument.
- The scene where SpongeBob accidentally spears a picture of Squidward with the bassinet's bow after playing too hard has become an internet fad called SpongeBob attacks his enemy where a funny, or normal face replaces the painting of Squidward.
- Squidward could have just told SpongeBob and Patrick the truth about who sent them the mean bubble messages to get them to stop bothering him.
- Then again they most likely wouldn't believe him or ignore his explanation.
- When Squidward was choking on the fork, it made some people shocked when looking at this.
- In Arabic, this episode is called "الجيران المزعجة" which means "Disturbing the Neighbors."
- In the Polish dub, the episode's title is "Nieznośni sąsiedzi" meaning "Annoying Neighbors."
- In Serbian, this episode's name is "'Najbolji Prijatelji," or "'Best Friends."
- In the Croatian dub, the episode name is the same, only that is "Neighbor" instead of "Neighbors."
- Some people can get this episode mixed up with the episode "Good Neighbors."
- An image of Patrick saving Squidward is featured on the protective case of The SpongeBob SquarePants Experience: A Deep Dive into the World of Bikini Bottom. However, Squidward is not shown in the image.
- In "Bubblestand," Patrick cannot blow a bubble, but in this episode he can. This episode most likely takes place after "Bubblestand."
- This is the first time that Gator plays.
- When SpongeBob is playing the "bassinet" (actually a string bass) at Squidward's house, there are only three strings instead of four. However, when SpongeBob smashes the bass, one can see that it now has four strings.
- As Patrick and Squidward are walking into Squidward's house, his back window has no glass.
- The glass also disappears at the beginning when Squidward walks outside. It is not there when he walks out, but appears when he sits down.
- When SpongeBob appears in Squidward's bathroom through his ear window, the window has no glass. In addition, in the next shot, which shows the outside of Squidward's house, SpongeBob is not there, and the ear windows are not even visible.
- When SpongeBob and Patrick are stuffed on soda, SpongeBob's holes are missing.
- When Squidward returns to his house just as it is destroyed, he has a grocery bag and keys. Afterward, the bag and keys disappear.
- If you look closely when SpongeBob is looking at Patrick and Squidward out the window, SpongeBob's eyelashes and holes are missing.
- Also, he has five fingers for a shot rather than four.
- If you examine Spongebob's house surrounding this scene, Spongebob is looking through an open glassless window, but all the windows that could possibly see Squid's house are shut and have glass covering them. Same goes for when he jumps through the open window.
- In the soda scene, if you look closely, at one point Patrick's soda fizz stops moving.
- In this episode, Gary's shell is smaller than usual.
- Even though the party was deemed a "dinner party," there was no actual food served at the party.
- It would be almost impossible for Squidward to make bubbles out of the purple soap off his cake, since he held it and blew it with a pointy fork and the bubbles would probably pop before it gets to SpongeBob or Patrick.
- SpongeBob rips his clothes off while launching himself to Squidward, but when he reappears he is wearing his clothes again.
- When SpongeBob got kicked out of Squidward's house he was far away from the house, but when the scene changes he was right near his house.
- Just before SpongeBob says, "Aha! So this is what I see huh, my best friend and my ex-best friend and rubber bath toys," the sailboat flickers blue for about one second.
- When SpongeBob was using bubbles to communicate and when Squidward was tricking them with the fake bubbles the lines on SpongeBob's sock disappear sometimes.
- When Spongebob yells at Patrick his bubble wand is thrown to the ground, but when Spongebob tells Patrick he doesn't want to see him again, it is missing.
- The hinge on Patrick's rock disappears between when Patrick is smashed and when Patrick notices that Squidward is choking.
- When Spongebob is playing the string bass, the window is just a hole in the wall, but when Patrick appears, it becomes a glass window with a hinge on the side.
|This page uses content from Wikipedia (original • authors). Both Encyclopedia SpongeBobia and Wikipedia are licensed under the CC BY-SA 3.0 Unported license.|