"Nature Pants" is a SpongeBob SquarePants episode from season one. In this episode, SpongeBob gives up a modern life to live with the jellyfish.
After SpongeBob gets distracted and a fire from the Krusty Krab grill is caused and then put out, Mr. Krabs tells SpongeBob to come to his office and asks why he was not concentrating. SpongeBob explains that he wishes to live in Jellyfish Fields with the jellyfish. Mr. Krabs laughs heartily, and then explains to SpongeBob that he would not last even one day in the wild and the life that he has currently is his habitat. However, SpongeBob thinks he can do it, so he quits his job as a fry cook.
SpongeBob then gives away his stuff to his friends. He even gives Patrick one of his most prized possessions: his jellyfish net, Ol' Reliable.
Once he arrives at Jellyfish Fields, SpongeBob is glad to be "home" and he tries to fit in with the other jellyfish, but cannot get the hang of it. Meanwhile, Patrick and Sandy have a set-up picnic to try to trick SpongeBob into coming back. They eat Krabby Patties as an attempt to bribe SpongeBob, but he resists. Patrick tries many persuasions to get SpongeBob to return home, but SpongeBob refuses since he is happy out in the wild.
Later, SpongeBob comes in wiggling his arms and legs like the jellyfish, thinking that he is getting the hang of it. But then, a crazed and heartbroken Patrick appears to try and catch him with Ol' Reliable while jellyfishing, but fails when SpongeBob jumps into the jellyfish hive. Distraught, Patrick accepts the decision and breaks the net before he leaves. Relieved, SpongeBob takes to eating the jelly inside. Upon the swarm's return, SpongeBob greets them in a friendly manner, but is then repeatedly stung and chased into a cave by them. Disheartened, but not giving up yet, SpongeBob tries to sleep in a cave, using a fern as a blanket, but ultimately feels itchy only to find that he is getting covered by poisonous sea urchins, making him run out of the cave itching rapidly.
Finally deciding that the wild is not as good as he thought, SpongeBob returns to Bikini Bottom sadly while stating "buzz, buzz", after seeing Sandy's treedome and the Krusty Krab.
Upon his return to the pineapple, he realizes his mistake; he had a great life and friends and gave it all up for nothing. As he opens the door, he is greeted with a massive "Welcome Home" party by his friends. All is forgiven, SpongeBob puts his clothes back on as a favor to Squidward and Mr. Krabs gives SpongeBob back his Krusty Krab employee hat. Everyone then group-hugs. However, the poison sea urchin bacteria spreads and everyone except SpongeBob becomes itchy. SpongeBob then says that "It's great to be home!" while everyone else itches rapidly.
‣ Migldi Magldi
|( ‣ ) Associated production music|
|( • ) Original music|
|( ◦ ) SpongeBob music|
- Jennifer Jones [Title card]
‣ Where Dreams Come True (a) - Ron Goodwin [Opening]
‣ On Fire - Gregor F. Narholz [grill on fire]
‣ Variety Link (d) - Dick Stephen Walter ["Hooray!"]
‣ The Tip Top Polka/The Cliff Polka - Chelmsford Folk Band [SpongeBob is in Mr. Krabs' office.]
‣ Captain Lenoe's - Michael Arthur, Colin Cater, Mick Graves, The Folk Players, Sarah Graves, Simon Ritchie [Mr. Krabs laughs.]
‣ Salute to Caesar 2 [#20.02] - Gregor F. Narholz [Golden scepter]
‣ Hawaiian Holiday - Kapono Beamer [SpongeBob quits his job.]
‣ Queen's Aloha Oe (c) - Kapono Beamer, Queen Lili'uokalani [SpongeBob gives away all of his stuff.]
‣ Wondrous Pastures - John Fox [SpongeBob is in Jellyfish Fields.]
‣ Grass Skirts Blowing - Jan Rap [SpongeBob follows the jellyfish.]
‣ Sad Parting (a) - Paddy Kingsland [Patrick reads the script.]
‣ Jungle Baby - Hans Ehrlinger [Squidward throws a party.]
‣ Sad Parting (a) - Paddy Kingsland ["I'm happy here. This is my home now."]
‣ Gator - Steve Belfer [SpongeBob imitates the jellyfish.]
‣ Lovely Scenery (c) - Mladen Franko [Patrick using Ol' Reliable to catch SpongeBob.]
‣ Musical Box (a) - Dave Hewson ["I'm gonna make you a trophy!"]
‣ Flight in Panic 1 - Gregor F. Narholz [Patrick chases SpongeBob/"I got you now, SpongeBob!"]
‣ The Gypsy Violinist - Dick Stephen Walter [Patrick gives up.]
‣ Stack of Leis - Kapono Beamer [SpongeBob is in the jellyfish cave.]
‣ Killer Birds - Gregor F. Narholz [Poison sea urchins crawl on SpongeBob.]
‣ Grass Skirt Chase - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob itches.]
‣ Botany Bay (b) - Robert Alexander White [SpongeBob goes back home.]
‣ Nostalgic Hawaii - Jan Rap [Ending]
- As of June 11, 2016, The Internet Movie Database (IMDB) gives this episode a rating of 8.5/10 based on 309 ratings by users. TV.com users give this episode a rating of 8.5/10 based on 206 votes.
- "Nature Pants" was ranked #43 during the Best Day Ever event on November 9–10, 2006.
- This episode marks the first appearance of Ol' Reliable.
- This is the first episode where the 11-minute runtime of an average episode is referenced. After SpongeBob leaves, Sandy says she will give him a week to come back, but Squidward says he will give him eleven minutes.
- During the initial kitchen scene in the Krusty Krab, the grill is shown facing the opposite side of the window.
- In the Polish dub, the episode's title is "Naturalista," which translates to "Naturalist."
- In the Croatian dub, the episode title is "Povratak Prirodi," which translates to "Back to the Nature."
- This episode takes place after "Jellyfish Jam" because the jellyfish party returns in this episode.
- While SpongeBob's privates are covered by his surroundings a few times in this episode, other times, like when he is running, they are not.
- As of February 2018, the face Patrick makes during his chase with SpongeBob has become a popular internet meme known as "Savage Patrick."
- In late March 2018, the scene where SpongeBob takes a deep breath during the chase of Patrick also became a meme.
- This is the first episode to play "Variety Link (d)" and the last one it plays in until more than 100 episodes later in "Komputer Overload."
- When the fire extinguisher hits the grill, the patties are shifted significantly to the left, with one floating in mid-air in front of the cabinet. This is corrected in the next scene (right before the grill bursts into flames).
- The fire extinguisher disappears after the fire is put out.
- The jellyfish hive appears to be smaller on the outside and bigger on the inside.
- The side view of the Krusty Krab when SpongeBob walks to it is wrong; it is a long-length version of the restaurant with the (KK) logo at the end of it, and the restaurant should have been shorter.
- When SpongeBob goes to his house, he appears in the back of it instead of the front door.
- Sandy should not have felt the sea urchins because she is wearing her underwater suit.
- Sandy's head is smaller than it usually is.
- In the Latin American version of this episode, Patrick still calls Sandy, "Sandy," despite the fact that Sandy is called "Arenita" (meaning "little sand") in the Latin American version.
- When the giant snail meows, the original captions read "Wow!"
- After SpongeBob's Krusty Krab employee hat falls off of his head when he is hugging Squidward, the hat cannot be seen laying on the ground of SpongeBob's pineapple in the next scene.