|Mrs. Puff’s Boating School|
|Founder:||Mrs. Poppy Puff|
|Location:||Conch Street, Bikini Bottom|
|First Appearance:||Boating School|
Mrs. Puff’s Boating School is a drivers' education school on the Nickelodeon television animated series SpongeBob SquarePants. The "boating school" as it is called, is located in Bikini Bottom. It is where Mrs. Puff teaches boat driving.
The Boating School features the main building, a lighthouse, and the driving course. The lighthouse is at the Boating School for an unknown reason. The track features a parking lot for the boats used in the tests. The track is sponsored by ½ Shell, a Bikini Bottom gas station (a parody of Shell gas stations).
In some episodes, the school is a one-room school, however in others, it is a full academy. The school features the Hallway of Learning which includes the Fountain of Learning, the Lockers of Learning, and the Stairs of Learning. Also, the hallway features a trophy display case.
There are many classrooms and teachers such as Mrs. Flounder. Mrs. Puff's classroom includes a chalkboard, Good Noodle Board, Roger's Glass Box, teacher's desk, ten student desks, and the supply closet. Mrs. Puff's desk is in front of the chalkboard. It features some other student's desks, including an empty, broken-down desk in the very back of the room where the bad students sit. At the back of the room, there is a hand-drawn picture of the Boating School track and 2 emergency exits. There is also a supply closet, which is next door of the classroom, behind the chalkboard. The classes commonly begin at 9:00 a.m. (as seen in the episode, "New Student Starfish"). In Hall Monitor, students go home at 2:05 p.m.
Even though the school is a boating school, there are many characteristics of the school which make it seem more like an average grade school. This includes having a Hall Monitor ("Hall Monitor"), having hallways, outdoor lunch periods, trophy cases, recess, lockers, school pictures, school bells, field trips ("Procrastination" and "Nautical Novice"), and the good noodle board. Also, SpongeBob is seen wearing a backpack in the episode "New Student Starfish".
In the book, "Class Confusion," a substitute temporarily takes over for Mrs. Puff. SpongeBob and a fellow classmate, Horace, switch places. Horace initially passes SpongeBob through school, enabling him to drive, which flabbergasts Mrs. Puff. In the end, the truth is revealed, and everything returns to normal.
The school has been damaged in numerous ways.
- "Boating School": SpongeBob crashed into the lighthouse tower, which topples to the ground, Twice.
- "Doing Time": SpongeBob destroyed all the structures then went on to the city.
- "No Free Rides": SpongeBob tries to rush through the exam and crashes in front of the school’s main building.
- "Mrs. Puff, You're Fired": SpongeBob drives into a gas can, resulting in the building blowing up.
- "The Hot Shot": Though little damage was done, SpongeBob crashes into the school after speeding in one of racing legends Tony Fast's racing boats while being in the car with Tony Fast Jr..
- "Demolition Doofus": The entire building was demolished due to Mrs. Puff's psychotic rampage, after she crashes a monster truck into the walls.
There are two exams that must be completed correctly, and with an excellent grade in order to graduate and obtain a license.
Oral Exam: The Oral Exam consists of ten questions, many of them simple, such as asking the name of the front of the boat. In the 1999 episode Boating School, Mrs. Puff starts his exam with an "oral test." She is only able to ask three questions; SpongeBob has the rest of the test memorized.
- Question 1: What is the front of the boat? The bow.
- Question 2: What is the back of the boat? The stern.
- Question 3: "Right" is? Starboard...
(From this point, SpongeBob gives the answers without Mrs. Puff's questions; the questions listed are only speculation as to what she might've asked.)
- Answer: port; question 4: "Left" is?
- Answer: Skipper; question 5: Who is the person in command of a boat?
- Answer: deck; question 6: What is the floor level of a ship?
- Answer: cabin; question 7: What is an enclosed room of a ship?
- Answer: galley; question 8: What is the kitchen of a boat called?
- Answer: keel; question 9: What is the name of what the hull of a ship is built around?
- Answer: 1924; question 10: What year did the British submarine L-34 sink in the English Channel?
Driving Exam: The driving exam is the only part of the exam that SpongeBob has trouble with. The steps to the exam are listed below.
- 1. Start the Boat.
- 2. Put it in drive.
- 3. Floor it. (big toe)
- 4. Turn.
- 5. Stop at Stop Sign.
- 6. Continue driving.
- 7. Turn around flagpole.
- 8. Drive vertically up road.
- 9. Drive vertically down road.
- 10. Jump over anchor.
- 11. Fly through a ring of fire.
- 12. Watch out for man. (Spongebob actually helped him cross.)
- 13. Drive to the Finish Line. 600 points passes.
There has also been known for assignments given out for homework by Mrs. Puff during the series.
In "Procrastination", Mrs. Puff assigned a 800-word essay on "What Not to Do at a Stoplight" which was due for the next day. SpongeBob, finding it very hard to do, tried to do everything to get out of writing his essay. All these things then inspired him on what to write for his essay. He then came in the next day, just to find out that Mrs. Puff cancelled the assignment and class for the day, and later deciding to just have a field trip to a stop light instead.
In "Oral Report", Mrs. Puff assigns the entire class to each do a oral report, in which SpongeBob's subject is "Boating Safety." After a scary encounter of public speaking, he was very afraid of doing his report in front of his class, so he takes one of the boats and drives aimlessly through town. Since he was unsupervised, Mrs. Puff is then arrested.
- SpongeBob: He has never passed a single test. According to Gunther Fitz, he failed 1,258,056 times.
- Patrick: He was a new student, in the episode, "New Student Starfish" for a day. Patrick then returned in a later episode, where he passed the test, and got his license(which he really shouldn't have). But he is only seen driving in New Student Starfish.
- Squidward: He was enrolled in "Boating Buddies" for breaking a stop sign.
- Shelia (Squid)
- Debbie Rechid
- In some episodes, such as New Student Starfish, it shows Mrs. Puff's Boating School as a one-room school, and in some episodes, it is shown as a full school with different rooms and lockers.
- Occasionally, a replacement testing course is used instead of the original, or the basic one is simply changed with a few modifications.
- Tradtionally the Boating school is a mix of driver's education, driver's training, and behind-the-wheel training. These three driving coarses are being held in some high schools nation wide. What this means is during the ninth to twelfth grade, high school students will need to take Driver's Ed class in order to get their drivers permit, but in the show, its driver's licenses not permits.
|V • D • E|
|Pacific Ocean||Bikini Bottom • Rock Bottom • New Kelp City • Atlantis|
|Bikini Bottom Areas||Goo Lagoon • Jellyfish Fields • Kelp Forest • Rock Bottom • Dead Eye Gulch|
|Bikini Bottom Residence||120 Conch Street • 122 Conch Street • 124 Conch Street • 126 Conch Street • 3451 Anchor Way • Mrs. Puff's House|
|Bikini Bottom Establishments||Barg'N-Mart • Chum Bucket • Krusty Krab • Mermalair • Mrs. Puff's Boating School • Bikini Bottom Mall • Goofy Goober's Ice Cream Party Boat • Hats • Reef Cinema • Bikini Bottom Jail • Bikini Bottom Hospital|
|See Also: Characters • Episodes|