This article is in need of clean up in order to comply with Encyclopedia SpongeBobia's Manual of Style. Please help this Wiki by making this article clean and tidy!
Money is an object that is used to pay for an item, services, or repayment of debts. Mr. Krabs appears to be obsessed with money as seen in many episodes.
Known Units and Amounts
The money in SpongeBob SquarePants is the U.S. currency, loosely supported by the fact that Bikini Bottom is part of the USA. Known amounts include the penny, nickel, dime, quarter, one-dollar, five-dollar, and twenty-dollar. The largest known unit was a five-hundred-dollar bill.
The city of Atlantis has its own currency, but it appears to be gold, gems, and other seemingly golden objects. It is also said that the Atlanteans were not obsessed with wealth, as opposed to one of their visitors, Mr. Krabs. Nothing is known about the worth of the currency.
As seen in the episode "Mr. Krabs Takes a Vacation," all of the money in Bikini Bottom is made at the Bikini Bottom Mint. There, the money goes through different processes in order to be made. There is even a step where old money is burned up and created into newer money. Mr. Krabs and SpongeBob actually receive their own money with their faces on it (though, Pearl ends up taking them).
In many episodes Bikini Bottom's population is seen to be quite small. Yet, in the episode "Clams," Mr. Krabs earns his one millionth dollar (given to him by Sandals), indicating millions of bills have been spent in Bikini Bottom, despite its small population. Mr. Krabs is also seen to have a large quantity of money in his vault at the Krusty Krab in various episodes.
- Sometimes, money (mostly coins) have the ability of speech and moving the face of the figure just as a gag. Examples include:
- The last known five-hundred-dollar bill from the U.S. was printed in 1934.
- Like U.S. currency, the coins are the same colors as their real counterpart.
- Although in the episode "Skill Crane," the quarters were gold instead of silver, meaning they might be more like doubloons.
- Mr. Krabs loves money.
- Depending on the episode, money is drawn slightly differently. This may be because the money was minted in different years, and the design changed.
- Money wants to be spent as seen in Money Talks.