"Mermaid Pants" is a SpongeBob SquarePants episode from season ten. In this episode, SpongeBob and Patrick have fun playing Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy, and Mr. Krabs and Squidward decide to play along as the bad guys.
SpongeBob and Patrick play Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy, in their costumes. They drive in the invisible car and think Squidward's house is an evil lair. They climb and Squidward sees them and cuts their rope, falling to the ground. They think Squidward is Dr. Negative, while Squidward sings a song about how much he hates his neighbors.
Squidward is then seen watering his garden, who SpongeBob and Patrick think is raising mutant vegetables to attack. While Squidward goes to refill his water, SpongeBob and Patrick destroy Squidward's garden, making salad and eating it, which angers Squidward in the process. He breaks his legs in frustration, but loses balances and falls down.
At the Krusty Krab, SpongeBob and Patrick sing the Mermaid Man/Barnacle Boy song, annoying Squidward. He tells them the song is stupid, causing SpongeBob and Patrick to transform into their costumes and call him Dr. Negative again. Patrick thinks that a nearby fish has been injured but really just has toilet paper attached to his foot from the bathroom. Patrick gets out his first aid kit and they mummify the fish and put him in a wheelchair. Patrick then burns the fish's eyes with peroxide. Angered, the fish moves himself away. Squidward then tells them they have to take the trash out.
SpongeBob and Patrick punch the trash and it lands on the customers and they leave angered. Mr. Krabs is angry that all his customers are gone and he calls Squidward into his office. He shows his secret room, with comic books, and also with a suit that Krabs sewed up himself. Krabs then puts on the suit, called Captain Tightwad, with Squidward playing the doctor. Krabs sends out lassos to attack SpongeBob and Patrick, but all miss. He then throws Squidward at SpongeBob and he gets stuck. He manages to break free, but spins out and knocks objects, including money. SpongeBob then questions their fighting and opens up his comic book, which states that no superhero should fight a bad guy until the bad guy commits a crime. Mr. Krabs then steals his own money, but SpongeBob isn't stupid to realize that.
The setting then changes to a bank, where Krabs pretends to rob the bank. An old man tells him that the ATM is outside, but then attacks Squidward and Krabs after they said they were pretending to rob the bank. At night, the Krusty Krab, now called the Lair, has transformed into a scientific evil lab. SpongeBob has a crime scene set so they can play, but Squidward takes it seriously, thinking it's his chance to knock his neighbors out. He actually lowers the lever on the trap sending SpongeBob and Patrick down towards boiling grease. Squidward wants them to fry but Krabs gives up because Squidward is literally playing the bad guy. SpongeBob and Patrick free themselves by tipping the lift, but Squidward and Krabs get fried and the Krusty Krab is now destroyed.
In the end, Krabs sticks to reading comic books and SpongeBob and Patrick fake drive into the distance. The TV Announcer says he needs to find another job and says if it is too late to go back to college radio.
The episode name was confirmed in a tweet by a crew member, Vincent Waller on July 16, 2016.
|( ‣ ) Associated production music|
|( • ) Original music|
|( ◦ ) SpongeBob music|
‣ Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy Action Theme - Michael Bolger, Nicolas Carr, Pat Irwin [title card]
‣ Mermaid Man Sting - Nicolas Carr [Opening.]
‣ Arizona Fanfare - Jack Shaindlin [Aquaphone rings.]
‣ Lap Steel - Nicolas Carr [SpongeBob answers the phone]
‣ Arizona Fanfare - Jack Shaindlin [Patrick dressed as Barnacle Boy.]
‣ Caped Crusader - David Farnon [SpongeBob and Patrick playing as Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy.]
‣ Hot Steel and Slide Licks (s) - Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob and Patrick fall down]
‣ Adventure Fanfare 1 - Harry Bluestone, Emil Cadkin ["I'm sure I've heard that "no" before."]
• I Hate SpongeBob, I Hate Patrick - Kaz Prapuolenis [Squidward sings this.]
‣ Agitation Bridge 3 - Phil Green ["It's that denying desperado's siren song."]
‣ Life on the Wild Side - Sam Spence [SpongeBob and Patrick destroy Squidward's vegetables.]
‣ Proud to be a Fish - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony ["Although our foes were evil, their nutrition did not go to waste."]
‣ Tension Bits - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield ["That's it! I'm gonna clobber you two!"]
‣ Cartoon Sting 5 - "You better hurry up or you'll be late for work."
‣ Hot Steel and Slide Licks (e) - Jeremy Wakefield [Squidward falls down.]
‣ Mermaid Man Sting - Nicolas Carr [Transition to the Krusty Krab.]
‣ The Lineman - Sam Spence [Background music to "Mermaid Man Our Hero."]
• The Adventures of Mermaid Man & Barnacle Boy Theme Song - Kaz Prapuolenis [SpongeBob and Patrick sing this.]
‣ Life on the Wild Side - Sam Spence ["Oh, did you say something negative, Dr. Negative?"]
‣ Hot Steel and Slide Licks - Jeremy Wakefield ["Your turn to take out the garbage."]
‣ Life on the Wild Side - Sam Spence [SpongeBob and Patrick punching the garbage bag.]
‣ Hot Steel and Slide Licks (k) - Jeremy Wakefield [Customers leave the Krusty Krab.]
‣ The Lineman - Sam Spence [SpongeBob and Patrick posing.]
‣ Lite Conversation - Barry Anthony ["Oh, oh, Patrick, I think we got Squidward in trouble."]
‣ Fairies (a) - John Fox, Otto Sieben [Krabs' comic book collection.]
‣ Comic Walk - Sidney Torch ["You're a comic book geek!"]
‣ Four Evil Men (c) - Trevor Duncan [Captain Tightwad costume]
‣ Nude Sting - Nicolas Carr [Dr. Negative shirt.]
‣ Floating Fortress (a) - Gregor Narholz [Krabs and Squidward in costume.]
‣ Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy Action Theme - Michael Bolger, Nicolas Carr, Pat Irwin [SpongeBob, Patrick, Krabs, and Squidward fighting.]
‣ Vibe Q Sting - Nicolas Carr ["What? What do you mean?"]
‣ Hot Steel and Slide Licks (u) - Jeremy Wakefield [Krabs "steals" his own money.]
‣ Hot Steel and Slide Licks (h) - Jeremy Wakefield [Money falls out of Krabs' costume.]
‣ Mermaid Man Sting - Nicolas Carr [Transition to the bank.]
‣ The Fruitcake Vendor - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony [Krabs and Squidward enter at the bank.]
‣ Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy Action Theme - Michael Bolger, Nicolas Carr, Pat Irwin [Guard beats up Krabs and Squidward.]
‣ Mermaid Man Sting - Nicolas Carr [Transition to Evil Stor.]
‣ Tomfoolery - David Snell [SpongeBob enters at Evil Stor.]
‣ Battle March Link (a) - Keith Mansfield [The Krusty Lair.]
‣ Pell-Mell - Sam Spence [Krabs and Squidward pop out of large cash register.]
‣ Caped Crusader - David Farnon ["Okay, so here's the scene."]
‣ Disastrous Event 2 - Harry Lubin [Squidward pulls the lever to fry SpongeBob and Patrick.]
‣ Hot Steel and Slide Licks (q) - Jeremy Wakefield ["I just knew he'd make a terrific bad guy."]
‣ Tension Bits - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield ["Could this be the end of our doofus duo?"]
‣ Ramblin' Man from Gramblin' - Sam Spence [SpongeBob and Patrick swinging the basket.]
‣ SpongeBob History Song - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob takes Krabs and Squidward out of the pool of boiling oil.]
‣ The Lineman - Sam Spence [Ending.]
|| I can turn into a skyscraper!
This section is too short. You can help the Encyclopedia SpongeBobia by expanding
- As of November 1, 2016, The Internet Movie Database (IMDB) gives this episode a rating of 7.7/10 based on 17 ratings by users. TV.com users give this episode a 9.8/10 based on 2 votes.
- This episode was paired with "Snail Mail" during its first airing in the United States.
- It is revealed that Mr. Krabs collects comic books.
- This is the first episode where action cards are narrated.
- The title card background for this episode is similar to "Mermaid Man vs. SpongeBob."
- On DirecTV, this episode is listed in Season 9, Episode 29, instead of Season 10, Episode 1. Its sister episode, "Whirly Brains," shares this trait.
- Additionally, on DirecTV, it is named "MermaidPants."
- This episode premiered in Canada on the same day as the USA. This is the second time an episode aired in Canada on the same exact day as the American airdate, the first being "It's a SpongeBob Christmas!"
- SpongeBob and Patrick sing The Adventures of Mermaid Man & Barnacle Boy Theme Song at The Krusty Krab. This is the first time the lyrics have been heard.
- This is the second time someone called SpongeBob simply "Bob." The first was in "Kenny the Cat."
- This is the second time that Mr. Krabs is Captain Tightwad. The first time was in the short "And Krabs Saves the Day."
- However, in this episode, Mr. Krabs calls the hero Captain Tightwad, but in the short, "And Krabs Saves the Day," he calls the hero Super Tightwad.
- The scene when SpongeBob says "Do you expect me to cry?" and Squidward replies "No, Mr. Bob. I expect you to fry." is similar to a James Bond film Goldfinger where the villain attempts to kill James Bond.
- When SpongeBob and Patrick wrap the customer with the bandages and put him in a wheelchair, SpongeBob's lips are moving but he doesn't say anything. However, this was probably because SpongeBob could be heard singing (dum dum dum...) really quietly while wrapping the bandages.
- When the Krusty Krab is about to get destroyed, the sign says "The Krusty Krab" instead of "The Krusty Lair."