"Mermaid Man vs. SpongeBob" is a SpongeBob SquarePants episode from season five. In this episode, Plankton hypnotizes Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy.
The episode starts with a commercial of Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy on a conveyer belt, tied up in chains by Man Ray. The heroes cannot escape. Mermaid Man then starts talking
about the Krusty Kid's Meal at the Krusty Krab, which Man Ray asks Mermaid Man what is. The next scene shows Man Ray eating the Pipsqueak Patty, small fries, and drinking the juice box. The narrator of the commercial responds saying "Of course you do, Man Ray." The kids off-screen of the commercial scream joyfully and in the next scene, Man Ray is in chains holding up the Krusty Kid's Meal box with Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy beside him as the commercial ends.
Plankton is annoyed by the commercial seeing all of the kids at the Krusty Krab through his periscope. Mr. Krabs' profits increase, as children flock to the Krusty Krab.
Plankton decides to use mind control shampoo
to turn Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy against Mr. Krabs and SpongeBob.
Plankton controls Mermaid Man to say hateful things about Krabby Patties, resulting in all the Krusty Krab customers to resort to the Chum Bucket. Then, SpongeBob brings a big truck of fiber and feeds it to Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy forcefully, which brings them back to normal.
Then everyone goes back to the Krusty Krab. When Plankton comes back with the food he prepared, he sees the customers are gone and gets upset.
|( ‣ ) Associated production music|
|( • ) Original music|
|( ◦ ) SpongeBob music|
‣ The Lineman - Sam Spence [Title card]
‣ Caped Crusader - David Farnon [The opening]
‣ Police Car - Sam Spence [Shot of the kids meal]
‣ The Four Horseman - Ronald Hanmer [Man Ray laughs.]
‣ Tripping Along - Harry Bluestone ["Ooh, I just love the little Pipsqueak Patty..."]
‣ Mermaid Man Sting - Nicolas Carr ["Of course you do, Man Ray!"]
‣ Captain Pugwash - Johnny Pearson [End of the Krusty Kid's Meal commercial]
‣ Zelle 501 - Gerhard Trede [Plankton watches TV.]
‣ Life on the Wild Side - Sam Spence ["Something is going on over there!"]
‣ The Tip Top Polka/The Cliff Polka - Chelmsford Folk Band ["Gotta hand it to you, boy."]
‣ Vibe Sting - Nicolas Carr ["Wait a minute, what's this?"]
‣ Wooden Bear - Gil Flat, Tony Tape, Florian Voelxen [Karen brings Plankton a kids meal box.]
‣ Steel Sting - Jeremy Wakefield [Plankton smashes the box up.]
‣ Death Trap - Gregor Narholz ["Why didn't I think of this before?"]
‣ Hawaiian Link (b) - Richard Myhill [Exterior of Shady Shoals Rest Home]
‣ Sweet and Lovely - Alan Braden [Plankton pretends to be a salesman.]
‣ Frankenstein's Niece (a) - Gregor Narholz [Plankton uses mind-control shampoo on Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy.]
‣ Mermaid Man Sting - Nicolas Carr ["Wipe!"]
‣ Bring on the Girls - Dennis Farnon [Back at the Krusty Krab]
‣ Steel Licks (a) - Jeremy Wakefield [Kids run into the ball room.]
‣ ? ["Aye aye, Mr. Krabs!"]
‣ Abject Terror - Paul Lewis [Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy destroy the rest home.]
‣ Steel Link (b) - Jeremy Wakefield ["You guys live in a dump."]
‣ Grass Skirt Chase - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Mermaid Man beats up SpongeBob.]
‣ Closing the Door - Nicolas Carr ["You still got it."]
‣ Bikini Bottom News Theme - Nicolas Carr [News report]
‣ Kerry Polka - Brian Peters [Mr. Krabs is being interviewed.]
‣ Editor's Falling Over (a) - Dick Stephen Walter [SpongeBob falls in.]
‣ Blaze of Brass (d) - Cecil Milner ["I present Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy!"]
‣ Police Car - Sam Spence [Sting]
‣ House of Horror - William Farran ["Everyone in Bikini Bottom showed up!"]
‣ Goofy Conversation - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony ["Ooh, this is too easy!"]
‣ Parting of the Clouds - Nicolas Carr [Shot of the Krabby Patty]
‣ House of Horror - Larry Hochman ["Why, these things are... evil!"]
‣ Harp Ding - Nicolas Carr ["You forgot your Krabby Patties!"]
‣ Black Stockings - David Lindup [Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy drool.]
‣ House of Horror - William Farran [Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy stomp on the Krabby Patty.]
‣ Adventurers - Larry Hochman ["Fry Boy, defender of the Krabby Patty!"]
‣ Ramblin' Man from Gramblin' - Sam Spence [SpongeBob fights Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy.]
‣ Robot March - Harry Bluestone, Emil Cadkin [Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy run to the Chum Bucket.]
‣ Vibe Sting - Nicolas Carr ["Food?"]
‣ Steel Licks (b) - Jeremy Wakefield ["It doesn't make sense."]
‣ The Lineman - Sam Spence [A fiber truck breaks into the Chum Bucket.]
‣ Dancing the Hula - Kapono Beamer [Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy turn back to normal.]
‣ Arizona Fanfare - Jack Shaindlin ["To the Krusty Krab, away!"]
‣ Goofy Conversation - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony [The ending]
- As of August 17, 2016, The Internet Movie Database (IMDB) gives this episode a rating of 7.4/10 based on 114 ratings by users. TV.com users give this episode a rating of 7.7/10 based on 121 votes.
- The title card background for this episode is similar to the way Nickelodeon was copyrighted in artwork.
- In "Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy V," Barnacle Boy balks at the idea that he be served a Pipsqueak Patty instead of the adult-sized Krabby Patty. At the beginning, in the commercial, he and Mermaid Man promote the Krusty Kid's Meal, the main course being an actual Pipsqueak Patty.
- Squidward delivers six boxes of Krusty Kid's Meal to the "Tarpon twins." The tarpon is a type of fish.
- After the Krusty Kid's Meal commercial, one can see that Karen is at the Krusty Krab getting a Krusty Kid's meal, even though usually Karen would have been the screen Plankton watched the commercial on in the first place.
- Off-screen, Karen has left from the Chum Bucket to the Krusty Krab.
- The part where SpongeBob says "Fry Boy, defender of the Krabby Patty!" is similar to when he says "The hall monitor!" in the episode "Hall Monitor."
- This episode marks the second time Plankton says "Stupid kid." The first is in The SpongeBob SquarePants Movie.
- This is the third episode to contain a title of two characters versing each other. The first is "Krabs vs. Plankton" and the second is "SpongeBob vs. The Patty Gadget."
- This is the fifth episode in which, at no point, SpongeBob wears his normal clothes. The first is "Ripped Pants," the second is "Walking Small," the third is "The Fry Cook Games," and the fourth is "SpongeGuard on Duty."
- When Mermaid Man does the spine blaster on SpongeBob, one can see the latter's leg bones, even though sponges are invertebrates.
- When Karen comes into the Chum Bucket with the Krusty Kid's Meal, the box does not have the logos on it.
- The "with conditioner" part of the Prof. Plankton's Mind Control Shampoo bottle disappears right after Professor Plankton mentions it.
- The openings on the net of the ball room are big enough for the balls to roll out of.
- When Mr. Krabs locks the kids in the ball room, two kids begin to climb up the wall.
- In the next shot, the kids are gone.
- Before the crowd leaves the Krusty Krab, Mr. Krabs says "wait," but he is not heard speaking when he says that line.