"Mermaid Man vs. SpongeBob" is a SpongeBob SquarePants episode from season five. In this episode, Plankton hypnotizes Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy.
The episode starts with a commercial of Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy on a conveyer belt tied up in chains by Man Ray. The heroes cannot escape. Mermaid Man then starts talking
about the Krusty Kid's Meal
at the Krusty Krab
which Man Ray asks Mermaid Man what it is. The next scene shows Man Ray eating the Pipsqueak Patty
, small fries, and juice. The narrator of the commercial responds saying "Of course you do, Man Ray." The kids off screen of the commercial scream joyfully and in the next scene, Man Ray is in chains holding up the Krabby Kids Meal box with Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy beside him as the commercial ends. Plankton is annoyed by the commercial seeing all of the kids at the Krusty Krab through his periscope. Mr. Krabs' profits increase, as children flock to the Krusty Krab.
Plankton decides to use mind control shampoo
to turn Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy against Mr. Krabs and SpongeBob. Plankton controls Mermaid Man to say hateful things about Krabby Patties, resulting in all the Krusty Krab customers to resort to the Chum Bucket. Then, SpongeBob brings a big truck of fiber and feeds it to Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy forcefully, which brings them back to normal. Then everyone goes back to the Krusty Krab. When Plankton comes back with the food he prepared, he sees the customers are gone and gets upset.
|( ‣ ) Associated production music|
|( • ) Original music|
|( ◦ ) SpongeBob music|
‣ The Lineman - Sam Spence [title card]
‣ Caped Crusader - David Farnon [opening]
‣ Police Car - Sam Spence [shot of kids meal]
‣ The Four Horseman - Ronald Hanmer [Man Ray laughs]
‣ Tripping Along - Harry Bluestone ["Ooh, I just love the little Pipsqueak Patty..."]
‣ Mermaid Man Sting - Nicolas Carr ["Of course you do, Man Ray!"]
‣ Captain Pugwash - Johnny Pearson [end of Krusty Krab commercial]
‣ Zelle 501 - Gerhard Trede [Plankton watching TV]
‣ Life on the Wild Side - Sam Spence ["Something is going on over there!"]
‣ The Tip Top Polka/The Cliff Polka - Chelmsford Folk Band ["Gotta hand it to you, boy."]
‣ Vibe Sting - Nicolas Carr ["Wait a minute, what's this?"]
‣ Wooden Bear - Gil Flat, Tony Tape, Florian Voelxen [Karen brings Plankton a kids meal box]
‣ Steel Sting - Jeremy Wakefield [box smashed up]
‣ Death Trap - Gregor Narholz ["Why didn't I think of this before?"]
‣ Hawaiian Link (b) - Richard Myhill [rest home exterior]
‣ Sweet and Lovely - Alan Braden [Plankton pretending to be a salesman]
‣ Frankenstein's Niece (a) - Gregor Narholz [mind control shampoo]
‣ Mermaid Man Sting - Nicolas Carr [WIPE!]
‣ Bring on the Girls - Dennis Farnon [back at the Krusty Krab...]
‣ Steel Licks (a) - Jeremy Wakefield [kids run into the ball room]
‣ ? ["Aye aye, Mr. Krabs!"]
‣ Abject Terror - Paul Lewis [Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy destroying the rest home]
‣ Steel Link (b) - Jeremy Wakefield ["You guys live in a dump."]
‣ Grass Skirt Chase - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Mermaid Man beating up SpongeBob]
‣ Closing the Door - Nicolas Carr ["You still got it."]
‣ Bikini Bottom News Theme - Nicolas Carr [news report]
‣ Kerry Polka - Brian Peters [Krabs interviewed]
‣ Editor's Falling Over (a) - Dick Stephen Walter [SpongeBob falls in]
‣ Blaze of Brass (d) - Cecil Milner ["I present Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy!"]
‣ Police Car - Sam Spence [sting]
‣ House of Horror - William Farran ["Everyone in Bikini Bottom showed up!"]
‣ Goofy Conversation - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony ["Ooh, this is too easy!"]
‣ Parting of the Clouds - Nicolas Carr [shot of Krabby Patty]
‣ House of Horror - Larry Hochman ["Why, these things are... EVIL!"]
‣ Harp Ding - Nicolas Carr ["You forgot your Krabby Patties!"]
‣ Black Stockings - David Lindup [Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy drooling]
‣ House of Horror - William Farran [Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy stomp on the Krabby Patty]
‣ Adventurers - Larry Hochman ["Fry Boy, defender of the Krabby Patty!"]
‣ Ramblin' Man from Gramblin' - Sam Spence [SpongeBob fights Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy]
‣ Robot March - Harry Bluestone, Emil Cadkin [Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy run to the Chum Bucket]
‣ Vibe Sting - Nicolas Carr ["Food?"]
‣ Steel Licks (b) - Jeremy Wakefield ["It doesn't make sense."]
‣ The Lineman - Sam Spence [fiber truck]
‣ Dancing the Hula - Kapono Beamer [Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy back to normal]
‣ Arizona Fanfare - Jack Shaindlin ["To the Krusty Krab, away!"]
‣ Goofy Conversation - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony [ending]
- As of August 17, 2016, The Internet Movie Database (IMDB) gives this episode a rating of 7.4/10 based on 114 ratings by users. TV.com users give this episode a rating of 7.7/10 based on 121 votes.
- The title card background for this episode is similar to the way Nickelodeon was copyrighted in artwork.
- In "Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy V," Barnacle Boy balked at the idea that he be served a Pipsqueak Patty instead of the adult-sized Krabby Patty. At the beginning, in the commercial, he and Mermaid Man promote the Krusty Kid's Meal, the main course being an actual Pipsqueak Patty.
- Man Ray says "The tasty treat, no mortal can resist" He was eating a Krabby Patty after being caught by Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy, possibly suggesting that Man Ray is not immortal.
- Squidward delivers six boxes of Krusty Kid's Meals to the "Tarpon Twins." The tarpon is a type of fish.
- When Squidward delivers six meals to a birthday party, he says it's for a twin's party while all of the kids were different, but maybe they were fraternal twins (siblings born on the same day, but look different).
- After the Krusty Kid's Meal commercial, you can see that Karen is at the Krusty Krab getting a Krusty Kid's meal, even though usually Karen would've been the screen Plankton watched the commercial on in the first place.
- Off-screen, Karen has left from the Chum Bucket to the Krusty Krab.
- Although Plankton liked the Mermaid Man toy and the Barnacle Boy pencil so much, it is unknown if Plankton watches the The Adventures of Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy TV show.
- When Mermaid Man did the spine blaster on SpongeBob, one can see SpongeBob's leg bones, even though sponges are invertebrates.
- The way Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy enter through the Krusty Krab, it kind of looks like "Whale of a Birthday" when Pearl leaves the Krusty Krab, throwing everyone on the ground.
- The part where SpongeBob says "Fry Boy, defender of the Krabby Patty!" is similar to when he says "The hall monitor!" in the episode "Hall Monitor."
- This is the second Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy episode to not feature Patrick. The first was "Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy II."
- This is the second time Plankton says "Stupid kid." The first time was in The SpongeBob SquarePants Movie.
- This is the third episode to contain a title of two characters versing each other. The first episode was "Krabs vs. Plankton" and the second was "SpongeBob vs. The Patty Gadget."
- This is the fifth episode in which, at no point, SpongeBob wears his normal clothes. The first is "Ripped Pants." The second is "Walking Small." The third is "The Fry Cook Games." The fourth is "SpongeGuard on Duty."
- During a tribute to Ernest Borgnine, this episode was skipped for some reason.
- On the Spectrum, YTV, AT&T Cable, and Dish Network TV guides, this episode is listed as "Mermaid Man vs. Sponge."
- When Karen comes into the Chum Bucket with the Krusty Kid's Meal, the box doesn't have the logos on it.
- The "with conditioner" part of the Prof. Plankton's Mind Control Shampoo bottle disappears right after Professor Plankton mentions it.
- The openings on the net of the ball room were big enough for the balls to roll out of.
- When Mr. Krabs locks the kids in the ball room, two kids begin to climb up the wall.
- In the next shot, the kids are gone.
- Before the crowd leaves the Krusty Krab, Mr. Krabs says "wait," but Mr. Krabs isn't heard speaking when he says that line.