"Mall Girl Pearl" is a SpongeBob SquarePants episode from season nine. In this episode, Pearl gets a job to be cool like her friends, but the only store that is hiring is the lamest store at the mall.
The episode opens to Pearl in her room. She is looking at a picture of Boys Who Cry. She kisses it, then calls Marina, one of her friends. Pearl asks if she wants to hang out. Marina says she has to work at Hotdog on a String, so she cannot. Marina then serves a customer a Hotdog ona String, much to her disgust. Pearl then calls Nocturna, another friend. She asks if she wants to make fun of boys with her. However, Nocturna also cannot as she has to work at Scorched Coral. Pearl finally calls Nixie, a third friend. Pearl asks if she wants to come over to her house. However, Nixie cannot either as she has to work at Bangles and Dangles.
Pearl looks at the picture of Boys Who Cry. Later, she goes downstairs where Mr. Krabs is. Mr. Krabs thinks that Pearl is going to ask for money, so he locks his wallet and swallows it. Pearl tells him that she'll get a job at the mall. Excited to hear this, Mr. Krabs starts bouncing on the walls and roof of his home. He says that instead of her using his money for clothes and school supplies, she could use her job money. However, Pearl asks for ten dollars, so Mr. Krabs gets his wallet out of his mouth, unlocks it, and gives ten dollars to Pearl.
Meanwhile, at the mall, Pearl goes to Hotdog on a String for a job. Marina tells her boss, Mr. Pepalino, that Pearl wants a job. Marina takes Pearl to the boss's room. Pearl tries to get in, but due to her size, she cannot fit in. She eventually tries to get in backwards. However, Mr. Pepalino, who was at the doorway, is laying uncomfortably on Pearl's back. Being very small, he is flung onto the hot dog grill and burned, rejecting Pearl. Pearl then goes to Scorched Coral, where she asks Nocturna for a job. She said that her business was hiring but already hired an employee. Seeing that it is a goth whale who looks almost exactly like her and is very angry at the idea that she would be replaced by her, a frightened Pearl decides to leave. Afterward, she goes to Bangles and Dangles, where she asks Nixie for a job. Nixie introduces Pearl to the manager, who says that she is not hiring Pearl as "the only thing they don't dangle there is hope."
Meanwhile, Pearl is sitting on the floor eating a hot dog from Hotdog on a String. She laments that if she doesn't get a job, she'll have to hang out with her dad. An old woman named Beatrice shows up and takes Pearl to her store. They go down the escalator and go to a bad part of the mall that is filled with bad stores that are broken and covered with graffiti as well as criminals. Pearl asks what a horrible smell is. Beatrice tells her that it's one of the many perfumes she sells at Grandma's Apron
. When they get inside Beatrice hires Pearl as her previous employee is "no longer with them" (she is revealed to be alive and well, but simply not working there). Meanwhile, Marina, Nocturna, and Nixie are sitting at a table, waiting for Pearl. Nocturna asks if Pearl got a job. Pearl tells them that she works at Grandma's Apron. Marina laughs and asks if she's really serious as Nocturna says that the store is for old people. Nixie remarks that old people are "so old". They all start laughing at her, much to her dismay.
Meanwhile, while working at Grandma's Apron, Pearl's friends show up. Surprised that she is actually working there, they start laughing at her again before leaving, causing Pearl to cry. Beatrice tells her that it's nothing to be ashamed of. She shows her a book of pictures from when she was in school. Beatrice tells Pearl that when she was young, everyone in school teased her and called her "Boring Beatrice." She then teaches Pearl how to be a grandma. They are then shown knitting, making cookies, and riding scooters. After that, Pearl's friends come back to Grandma's Apron. Marina sees Pearl's shoes and makes fun of them. Beatrice tells her to stop. However, Marina tries to use her hot dogs on strings to attack. Beatrice knits a scarf and ties the trio together. She then tells them about the time when she saw the first picture show. After that, Pearl's friends apologize to her. Beatrice tells her that even though being a grandma is fun, it's best to live young. Pearl then hangs out with her friends, after which Beatrice’s arm snaps off and SpongeBob picks it up.
Vincent Waller confirmed the episode on Twitter on September 9, 2015.
Character design for this episode, building on storyboards and designs from John Trabbic and Vincent Waller.
|( ‣ ) Associated production music|
|( • ) Original music|
|( ◦ ) SpongeBob music|
‣ Tiki Dancing - Lionel Wendling [Title card]
‣ Surfin Summer Girls [#28] - Ian Henry Marsh, Phil Pickett [Opening.]
‣ Cutie Pie - Phil Green, Geoffrey Love, Ken Thorne [Hotdog on a String.]
‣ Skater Dave - Steve Belfer [Scorched Coral]
‣ Candy Floss - Peter Dennis [Bangles and Dangles.]
‣ Surfin Summer Girls [#27] - Ian Henry Marsh, Phil Pickett ["You don't work at the mall, do you, Derek?"]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks (a) - Jeremy Wakefield [Krabs swallows his wallet.]
‣ Fanfare (b) - Nicolas Carr [Mr. Krabs is overjoyed.]
‣ Clumsy (a) - Bernd Gesell ["This is great news, Pearl me dear!"]
‣ Clumsy (c) - Bernd Gesell [Pearl asks to borrow ten dollars.]
‣ Shop-O-Rama - Nicolas Carr, Fabian Fernandez [Pearl goes to the mall.]
‣ Skater Dave - Steve Belfer [Pearl goes to Scorched Coral.]
‣ Candy Floss - Peter Dennis [Pearl goes to Bangles and Dangles.]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks (j) - Jeremy Wakefield ["If I don't get a job at the mall, I'll have to hang out with..."]
‣ House of Horror - William Farran ["...my dad!"]
‣ Animal Antics [#45] - Phil Green [Old lady offers Pearl a job.]
‣ Hot Steel and Slide Licks - Jeremy Wakefield ["What's that smell?"]
‣ That's My Baby (a) - Otto Sieben, John Fiddy ["...Grandma's Apron!"]
‣ Unknown Track 25 - Nicolas Carr ["...no longer with us."]
‣ Saxaboogie - Harry Bluestone ["Almost forgot my shades!"]
‣ Tiki Dancing - Lionel Wendling [At lunch.]
‣ Park Avenue (a) - Bill Novick, Paul Lenart [Pearl dusting knickknacks.]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks (p) - Jeremy Wakefield [Pearl starts to cry.]
‣ Charleston Party (a) - John Fiddy, Otto Sieben [Photo album.]
‣ Central Park Breakdown (a) - Bill Novick, Paul Lenart ["Let me show you how grandmas do it!"]
‣ Dramatic Impact 3 - Ivor Slaney [Pearl's friends all gasp.]
‣ Unknown Track 37 - Pearl talks about being a grandma.
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks (d) - Jeremy Wakefield [Pearl's friends laugh.]
‣ Cockney Capers - Ray Davies ["Now, now, girls, let's be polite."]
‣ Paroxysms (i) - Trevor Duncan ["What are you gonna do about it, granny?"]
‣ Starboard - Sam Spence ["Granny power!"]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks (t) - Jeremy Wakefield ["No, please, I can't take anymore!"]
‣ Flower Display - Jack Shaindlin [Beatrice finishes her story.]
‣ Pacific Blue - Tony Osborne ["We didn't mean to hurt your feelings."]
‣ Surfin Summer Girls [#27] - Ian Henry Marsh, Phil Pickett [Ending.]
- As of September 28, 2017, The Internet Movie Database (IMDB) gives this episode a rating of 7.6/10 based on 102 ratings by users. TV.com users give this episode a rating of 6.0/10 based on 27 votes.
- This episode premiered on the same day as the 2016 Kids' Choice Awards.
- This is the sixth episode (along with the sister episode "Two Thumbs Down") to premiere on Kids Choice Night. The first was "Help Wanted"/"Reef Blower"/"Tea at the Treedome" in 1999, the second was "Krusty Towers"/"Mrs. Puff, You're Fired" in 2006, the third was "Sentimental Sponge" in 2011, the fourth was "Are You Happy Now?"/"Planet of the Jellyfish" in 2012, and the fifth was "Kenny the Cat" in 2014.
- SpongeBob only makes three cameos in this episode. He also only has one line, which is in the very last scene.
- This episode also marks SpongeBob's smallest role in an episode to date.
- The last cameo is meant to reference how he does not play a notable role in the episode.
- The graffiti on one of the stores' doors says "Squidward Smells" and "Krabs is a," which is a reference to the same writing on the Krusty Krab dumpster in "Sailor Mouth."
- This is the second episode in which Pearl is the protagonist, the first being "Whale of a Birthday."
- This episode did not include a promo.
- On the original airing, the show's theme song is replaced with the Live Orange Carpet Coverage of the 2016 KCAs, with the intro synced to the audience.
- Karen makes a cameo in this episode, marking this as the first episode she appears without Plankton.
- The "One Hour Later..." time card of this episode has the same background as the title cards from the episodes "Naughty Nautical Neighbors" and "Summer Job."
- The title card of this episode is similar to those of "Porous Pockets" (colored in green) and "Perfect Chemistry" (colored in blue, with triangles right side up), while this episode's one is in pink. It also is similar to the one of "New Fish in Town" where the triangles are sideways instead.
- Out of four store employees in the episode, only two of them were revealed before the episode aired. The two who were revealed were Nocturna and Beatrice. The other two who were kept secret were secret Marina and Nixie. This is because only two out of four of them were voiced by special guest voice actors.
- This episode marks the first physical non-speaking appearance of Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy since the death of Ernest Borgnine.
- This episode marks the first appearances of the following characters since the respective episodes:
- This episode premiered 14 years after Nautical Nonsense and Sponge Buddies were released, three years after The Complete Eighth Season was released, and two years after SpongeBob Comics No. 30 was released.
- This episode premiered in Canada on July 1, 2016, which is coincidentally Canada Day.
- As of this episode, Karen started to have light aquamarine buttons instead of red buttons. The buttons are hard to see in this episode because she makes a brief appearance behind glass on another floor in the mall. However, they can be seen clearly in "CopyBob DittoPants."
- In the Polish dub, the episode's title is "Pracująca dziewczyna," which translates to "Working Girl."
- In the scene where Beatrice knits the yellow scarf, to the left there is a store named Boutique Crappy, being the only instance so far in the series that such word has been used.
- Bikini Atoll can be seen in Beatrice's scrapbook.
- Starting with this episode, the storyboard supervisors are now credited as supervising directors.
- When Pearl first reads the Coral Cuties magazine, the magazine's name on the back is shown in yellow text. However, after Pearl puts it down, the text turns red. Also, Derrick disappears from the back until Pearl picks up the magazine again.
- Even though the store is called "Bangles and Dangles," Nixie calls it by "Dangles and Bangles" earlier in the episode.
- Also the credits call it the former as well.
- The caustics in the opening credits don't stretch all the way to the edge of the screen, even though the sand does.