- Abigail Marge
- Frankie Billy
- Fred (blue)
- Squidward Tentacles
- Squids on the cover of Squid Love
- SpongeBob SquarePants
- Jimmy Gus
- Squilvia (debut)
- Nat Peterson
- Smiling Flower (debut)
- Squidward's ex-girlfriend (debut)
- Gary the Snail
- Patrick Star
At the Krusty Krab, Frankie is ordering food for Evelyn. He does not realize that Squidward was on his break and cannot read his sign. Evelyn sees that he cannot read and reveals that she can't read either, so they comment that they were meant for each other. Learning that his books about love are only "torturing" him, the depressed Squidward throws away his book and impacts on evil widsom SpongeBob. When SpongeBob tries returning the book, Squidward claims the book is "just a cruel reminder that I'm single, and likely to remain that way." SpongeBob tries cheering Squidward up by pointing out that while he's currently never found true love, that doesn't automatically mean he won't ever find it, and says, "There's a squid for every pot!," but Squidward complains about that being a very clichéd saying.
Just then, a female customer walks in and Squidward becomes instantly smitten with her. The woman admires the "decor" and Squidward believes that she's perfect since they seem to have the same interests and hobbies. Squidward decides to ask her out on a date, but when she comes up to the register, and Squidward's too nervous to ask her out on a date. Just as the woman is about to leave the restaurant, SpongeBob turns on the motor that's in the boat containing them and the register, and manages to prevent her from leaving. Squidward's still too nervous and love struck to say anything to her, so SpongeBob introduces them to each other, during which it's revealed that the woman's name is Squilvia. After SpongeBob tells Squilvia about Squidward, she agrees to go on a date with him later that night.
After she leaves, SpongeBob points out that Squidward was pretty nervous back there and asks him about the last time he actually went on a date. Squidward gets even more nervous when he realizes just how long it's been since the last time he actually went on a date, so SpongeBob offers to help him prepare for it by making him go on a "practice date." As practice for the real date, he was tested at SpongeBob's House on complimenting about his date, giving flowers, driving to dinner, and having dinner which all annoy him. He was driving in a circle from and to SpongeBob's house (which would be where the restaurant is). At the "restaurant" (SpongeBob's roof), Patrick is serving plastic dinner which he literally took a bite on. When Squidward had enough, he left and shouted angrily over how it was pointless. He went down the stairs, and SpongeBob convinced Squidward to come back, but his shoe gets caught, causing him to fall down the stairs, revealing his true identity.
Squilvia showed up and reveals that Squidward's true personality was better than what she expected. SpongeBob comments that his work was done, only to find Patrick in drag, demanding a movie and plastic popcorn.
|( ‣ ) Associated production music|
|( • ) Original music|
|( ◦ ) SpongeBob music|
‣ Romantic Opening [#26] - Harry Bluestone, Emil Cadkin [title card]
‣ Sailor's Sting 9 - Michael Bolger, Nicolas Carr [opening at Krusty Krab]
‣ Hawaiian Theremin - Henry Gorman, Kat Green ["Even the illiterate are finding love."]
‣ Squidward's Tiki Land - Aaron Springer, Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Squilvia enters]
‣ Nude Sting - Nicolas Carr [closeup of Squilvia's face]
‣ Bumbling (b) - Bernd Gesell [Squidward babbling]
‣ Late Night Jinx - Phil Green [Squilvia starts to leave]
‣ A Pirate's Life for Me (a) - Ron Goodwin ["Hang on, buddy!"]
‣ Befuddled Gent - Phil Green [Squilvia introduces herself]
‣ Vibe Sting - Nicolas Carr ["Intelligent?"]
‣ Proud to be a Fish - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony ["We are talking some serious credentials."]
‣ Cartoon Sting 3 - "He thinks you look like a breath of pure sunshine."
‣ South Pacific Island II - Victor Cavini ["It's his selflessness."]
‣ Hawaiian Beauty - Lionel Wendling ["I think that sounds perfect."]
‣ Fox Trot - Hiram Titus [flashback to Squidward's last date]
‣ Shock Happening 1 - Harry Lubin ["SpongeBob, you gotta help me!"]
‣ Unknown Hawaiian Sting (h) - Jeremy Wakefield ["You are in desperate need of a practice date."]
‣ Vibe Q Sting - Nicolas Carr ["A practice date?"]
‣ Droopy - Arthur Wilkinson [Squidward rings SpongeBob's doorbell]
‣ Drama Link (d) - Hubert Clifford ["Dear Neptune!"]
‣ Steel Sting (b) - Jeremy Wakefield ["Missed a spot."]
‣ Cute and Lovable - Phil Green ["Aren't you going to compliment my outfit?"]
‣ Tension Bits - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob sneezes]
‣ Steel Sting - Jeremy Wakefield ["...very allergic to tulips."]
‣ Drinks Party - Marc Andre Dall'Anese ["Hop in."]
‣ Jalopy - Ron Aspery [Squidward driving]
‣ Lounging and Fine Dining - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony [chit-chat]
‣ Unknown Track 33 - "Squidward, wait!"
‣ Dramatic Cue (b) - Ronald Hanmer [SpongeBob and Squidward fall down the stairs]
‣ Editor's Falling Over (b) - Dick Walter [Squidward hits the head with SpongeBob's door]
‣ Comic Walk - Sidney Torch [Squidward yells at SpongeBob]
‣ Hawaiian Theremin - Henry Gorman, Kat Green ["You just saw that, didn't you?"]
‣ Steel Sting (b) - Jeremy Wakefield [ending]
- This episode is available on the Complete Seventh Season DVD.
- As of August 8, 2016, The Internet Movie Database (IMDB) gives this episode a rating of 6.5/10 based on 84 ratings by users. TV.com users give this episode a 6.9/10 based on 8 votes.
- SpongeBuddy Mania gives this episode a rating of 7.9/10.
- It is unknown whether or not Squidward and Squilvia are still in a relationship.
- Though Billy never learned to read, he is able to write his name in the episode "Professor Squidward."
- Although, this could have took place before that episode or it is another Billy.
- It is confirmed in this episode that SpongeBob is allergic to tulips.
- Reportedly, there was an original title card that was replaced (see picture). Whether or not the title card is legitimate is up for debate.
- This and "Gary in Love" are both romance themed episodes in Season 7 and aired near Valentine's Day.
- This is the first time Squidward falls in love with a real girl.
- There are 12 kiss marks on the title card.
- This is the second time Patrick has dressed up like a lady. The first time was in the episode "That's No Lady."
- This is the fourth episode where Squidward's vehicle is shown, the first three being in "Pizza Delivery," "Dying for Pie," and "Boating Buddies."
- This is the fourth Valentine's Day themed episode. The first was "Valentine's Day," the second was "Krusty Love," and the third was "Gary in Love."
- This and "Tunnel of Glove" aired on the same day in February 2011 because they are both heart themed episodes.
- This is the fifth time Squidward is shown driving. The other four times were in "Dying for Pie," "Band Geeks," "Boat Smarts," and "Boating Buddies."
- This episode is one of the few to feature the Krusty Krab without Mr. Krabs.
- Vincent Waller posted on Twitter about what probably happened to Squilvia after this episode: "😊She couldn't stand his clarinet player, or possibly she was eaten by a whale. I hear that happens from time to time 😉."
- The title and episode is a parody of the 2001 Sharon Creech novel "Love That Dog."
- Squidward references Giacomo Casanova, a famed Italian adventurer and womanizer from the 18th century.
- SpongeBob's first big nose pose looks similar to Smurfette's "un-smurfy" self from the Smurf episodes "The Smurfette" and "Smurfette Unmade."
- Squidward's "I'm On Break" sign disappears after Squidward tossed his love book back into the kitchen.
- When the book is on SpongeBob's tongue, it disappears after he says to Squidward "You dropped your book."
- When Squilvia is walking away from the register, a motor appears in the boat, and then disappears again once they get to the front of the dining room.
- Squidward's boat disappears in one shot at the door, when the camera focuses on SpongeBob, but is back in the next far out shot.
- While SpongeBob in talking to Squilvia about Squidward, there are two buildings behind the window glass in the background. But in the next shot, the one to the left disappears.
- When Squidward arrives at SpongeBob's house for the practice date, he rings the doorbell and it disappears in the next shot.
- The tulips in Squidward's hand disappear right after SpongeBob sneezes on them.
- SpongeBob's purse disappears after he gets into Squidward's car, but reappears after SpongeBob gets out.