- Squidward Tentacles
- SpongeBob SquarePants
- Patrick Star
- Eugene H. Krabs
- Sandy Cheeks (in thought bubbles)
- Spider-like Creature (debut)
- Sal (debut)
- Heidi the Hydrant (debut)
- Operator (debut)
- Tina Fran
- Jimmy Gus
- Nat Peterson
- Jennifer Millie
- Old Man Jenkins
On a normal day in Bikini Bottom, Squidward is taking a bubble bath and is in good mood until he realizes he has to go to work. SpongeBob then comes out of his house in his underwear before he realizes his error and gets dressed as Squidward walks off but SpongeBob catches up and they start walking to work.
SpongeBob goes on about previous situation as he feels it and the walk were taking a bit too long and thinks they should take a shortcut. Squidward tries to explain why he shouldn't, but SpongeBob still thinks he should as he states his belief that there is always a shortcut.
Squidward then asks what moron told him that as Patrick conveniently walks by and its revealed that he was the one who told SpongeBob this as he says the same thing SpongeBob said.
SpongeBob asks Squidward if he wants to join but the latter declines, so SpongeBob takes a different path, thinking he can find a shorter way to get there, but bumps into Squidward walking in the normal path.
He then tries to do another shortcut and finds himself in an unusual part of the town. SpongeBob tries to think it is a great shortcut and tells himself not to forget his wilderness training. He tries to remember what Sandy said and then proceeds to find the Krusty Krab.
He tries to do what he learned from wilderness training, starts with local landmarks, and assigns a broken fire hydrant as his landmark. He then spots a sign that appears to be the Krusty Krab sign, so he climbs over a fence and runs to it.
The scene pans to the Krusty Krab with Squidward relaxing in his workstation and then Mr. Krabs appears telling Squidward to stop lazing around even though there are no customers.
The scene cuts back to SpongeBob going toward what he thinks is the Krusty Krab, but it turns out to just be a sign that says "The Krabby Krust." He notices a fish painting signs and asks him if he knows where the Krusty Krab is, but said fish, Sal, says he's never heard of it. SpongeBob tells him about it, gives him coupons, and then Sal goes there on his truck even though he said he doesn't know that place. SpongeBob cries, remembers to use his landmarks, and then tries to go back where he came from but can't remember too well. He finds the broken fire hydrant he found previously but then notices many broken fire hydrants.
SpongeBob then finds a Pay Phone and calls Squidward for help. The operator interrupts the call and tells him if he wants to continue the call he needs to insert another dime, but he doesn't have one. He spots an abandoned sofa and then sees three tough-looking fish drinking soda and SpongeBob tries to reach under the cushions of said sofa to see if there are any dimes, but instead finds two nickels.
One of the fish, Scott, asks him what he was doing and SpongeBob tells him that he is looking for a dime. Scott shouts at SpongeBob and says that he drives a pedicab, so the latter hops into the pedicab and tells him that he needs to go to the Krusty Krab, so Scott drops off to what he thinks is the restaurant, but it turns out to be The Krusty Klam.
SpongeBob begins frantically running, checks his watch, and then starts to make another shortcut, which causes him great pain, but finally finds the Krusty Krab for him. He crawls to it and enters, and then hugs two customers and kisses one of the elderly customers. He finds Patrick there and asks him how he got to the restaurant. Patrick says that Scott gave him a ride. Mr. Krabs appears and says that SpongeBob is scaring his customers away with his stench and tells him to go home and take a bath. Squidward says that that was his thing, but Mr. Krabs says that the former is clean. As a result, Squidward starts to roll around in the dirt and asks where his bubble bath is.
Sal shortly comes to the Krusty Krab on his truck and runs over a puddle, which splashes onto Squidward. Sal asks about the coupon but Mr. Krabs says it's actually another fee. The latter and the former walk off screen. Squidward is still left in the puddle and then the episode ends.
According to Sherm Cohen, "Bob Camp did most of the work on this one. Although many artists add/revise/plus the board, it's a Bob Camp board. It was an honor to have him draw the first new episode!"
The Pay Phone was different in the final version than it was in the storyboard version.
|( ‣ ) Associated production music|
|( • ) Original music|
|( ◦ ) SpongeBob music|
‣ SpongeBob History Song - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [title card]
‣ Aloha Oe - Hans Haider, Queen Lili'uokalani [opening]
‣ Steel Sting (a) - Jeremy Wakefield ["Ready for work!"]
‣ Vibe Sting - Nicolas Carr [SpongeBob stops]
‣ Nude Sting - Nicolas Carr ["Not ready for work!"]
‣ Spongey Bubbles - Steve Belfer [SpongeBob and Squidward walking to work]
‣ Sailor's Sting 9 - Michael Bolger, Nicolas Carr ["I don't follow."]
‣ Lap Steel - Nicolas Carr [Transition to next scene]
‣ A Fishy Conversation - Barry Anthony [SpongeBob checks his watch]
‣ Hot Steel and Slide Licks - Jeremy Wakefield [Patrick walks by]
‣ Sailor's Sting 7 - Michael Bolger, Nicolas Carr ["Yoo-hoo!"]
‣ Hot Steel and Slide Licks (b) - Jeremy Wakefield ["You're still not getting it!"]
‣ Dramatic Bridge 1 - Phil Green ["Now this is what I call a real great shortcut."]
‣ ? [Wilderness training]
‣ Pell-Mell - Sam Spence [SpongeBob looking for local landmarks]
‣ Cartoon Sting 7 - Large and unusual shell
‣ Fanfare (b) - Nicolas Carr ["There it is! The Krusty Krab!"]
‣ Parting of the Clouds - Nicolas Carr [Choir]
‣ Hawaiian Breeze - Jon Jelmer [Squidward relaxing at the Krusty Krab]
‣ Sailor's Sting 10 - Michael Bolger, Nicolas Carr ["Well, look at this."]
‣ Cartoon Sting 5 - SpongeBob walks by.
‣ Unknown Track 45 - Nicolas Carr [Choir.]
‣ Cartoon Sting 5 - guy painting signs.
‣ Short Military Bridge - Nicolas Carr ["Sandy's wilderness tips are always on the money."]
‣ Assault - Phil Green, Geoffrey Love, Ken Thorne ["I'm lost!!!"]
‣ Desperate Situation - Phil Green [Several broken hydrants]
‣ Danger Sign - Harry Bluestone, Emil Cadkin [SpongeBob calls Squidward]
‣ Grass Skirt Chase - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob looking for a dime]
‣ Cartoon Sting 2 - "This is our abandoned sofa!"
‣ Creeping Up 29 - Harry Bluestone, Emil Cadkin ["Hey, listen"]
‣ SpongeBob History Song - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield ["Need a ride somewhere?"]
‣ Disastrous Event 2 - Harry Lubin ["Krusty Klam?!"]
‣ Panic Patrol - Kenny Graham [SpongeBob goes through a sewage pipe]
‣ Climb to Altitude - Trevor Duncan ["That's the Krusty Krab!"]
‣ Vibe Sting - Nicolas Carr ["Patrick?"]
‣ Steel Sting (f) - Jeremy Wakefield [Pedicab]
‣ Sailor's Sting 4 - Michael Bolger, Nicolas Carr ["Squidward, can you believe I made it?"/Krabs orders SpongeBob to go home and get a bath.]
‣ Hot Steel and Slide Licks (h) - Jeremy Wakefield ["I'm as neat as a pin?"]
‣ Slide Whistle Song - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Squidward rolling in dirt]
‣ Tentically Speaking - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [ending]
- As of September 27, 2017, The Internet Movie Database (IMDB) gives this episode a rating of 7.8/10 based on 132 ratings by users. TV.com users give this episode a rating of 6.4/10 based on 33 votes.
- The original title for this episode was "The Shortcut."
- The French dub of this episode ("Le Raccourci") still uses this title.
- There have been promotions for this episode called "Where's the Square?"
- This episode premiered on the same day as the 2015 Kids' Choice Sports Awards.
- This is the first episode to be produced after the The SpongeBob Movie: Sponge Out of Water finished production.
- This is the first episode since the season 3 finale, "Pranks a Lot," to have Stephen Hillenburg credited as the executive producer.
- Starting with this episode, Paul Tibbitt is credited as executive producer instead of supervising producer. He will be credited as executive producer for the rest of the season.
- This is the first episode to be written by Jack Pendarvis.
- Starting with this episode, the show is now script driven once again rather than storyboard driven.
- This episode takes place before "Party Pooper Pants" because in this episode SpongeBob does not know what a pay phone is, but in "Party Pooper Pants" he uses one.
- Lowercase closed-captioning, not seen since "That's No Lady" aired in 2006, returns starting with this episode.
- In the beginning, there's a gag where SpongeBob wakes up and shouts random gibberish while falling down the stairs getting ready for work, a possible continuity reference to "Missing Identity."
- There were two similar Krusty Krab-like places: The Krabby Krust and The Krusty Klam.
- This episode almost takes place in real time. SpongeBob's shortcut takes him 12 minutes, and he's shown taking the shortcut for 8 minutes.
- Squidward breaks the fourth wall when he is drawing his "distance between two points" example on the screen.
- This is one of two episodes only to be storyboarded by Bob Camp, as the other is "Pull Up a Barrel."
- This and "Tutor Sauce" are the first episodes in 10 years since "Good Neighbors" to be written by only one writer.
- Patrick is shown to sometimes take Scott's pedicab to the Krusty Krab.
- The fire hydrants in this episode were shown to be all metal. The ones in "Squidville" and "Prehibernation Week" are part metal, and part barrel.
- This episode premiered on Will Ferrell's 48th birthday.
- This episode premiered in Canada 14 years after "Welcome to the Chum Bucket," "Frankendoodle," "Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy IV," and "Doing Time" premiered.
- This episode premiered in Greece on Sunday, June 5th, 2016.
- This episode's title card uses the same pattern as Squidward's bathroom wallpaper, though not the same colors.
- This episode bears two similarities to "Missing Identity."
- SpongeBob repeatedly falls down through the floors of his house.
- SpongeBob is sent home by Mr. Krabs due to being dirty.
- When Squidward first points at the Krusty Krab, it is on a straight road. Shortly after, Squidward points at the Krusty Krab again and says "Look, the Krusty Krab is right at the end of the block!," the road is now curved.
- Scott appeared to not know where the Krusty Krab was since he took SpongeBob to the Krusty Klam instead, but then Patrick reveals that Scott gives him a ride to the Krusty Krab every day, which suggests that Scott does know where the Krusty Krab is.
- It is possible that he did not know the directions from the couch to the Krusty Krab.
- Patrick has never been seen arriving at the Krusty Krab on Scott's pedicab prior to this episode.
- When SpongeBob arrives at the Krusty Krab and says "I made it, oh, I made it," the Chum Bucket is not seen.
- When SpongeBob arrived at the Krusty Krab, it was two minutes before opening time, so there should not have been any customers in the restaurant.
- The credits misspell "choking" as "chocking."
- Squidward forgot how to explain the point A to point B, but after Spongebob goes through all of the obstacles and sees Squidward ahead of him, Squidward says "Point A to point B."