This is a list of milestones achieved by the animated TV series SpongeBob SquarePants.
- May 1, 1999 - The series airs for the first time.
- May 1, 2009 - The series has reached a 10 year run on television.
- July 19, 2009 - The series marks the airing of the first 100 episodes (although episodes after the 100th had aired).
- April 11, 2012 - The series became the longest running animated series on Nickelodeon.
- July 21, 2012 - The series makes a switch to widescreen high-definition.
Longest animated series on Nickelodeon
SpongeBob SquarePants first aired on May 1, 1999. On April 11, 2012, when SpongeBob SquarePants aired its 173rd episode, this made SpongeBob SquarePants became the longest running animated series on Nickelodeon (before, Rugrats was the longest running animated series on Nickelodeon with 172 episodes).
The ninth season will contain a total of 26 episodes, bringing the series' overall episode count to 204. This will make SpongeBob SquarePants the first Nicktoon to pass the milestone of 200 episodes.