"Life Insurance" is a SpongeBob SquarePants episode from season ten. In this episode, a misunderstanding leads SpongeBob and Patrick to try and prove to Squidward that their life insurance protects them from any danger.
- SpongeBob SquarePants
- Gunther Fitz (cameo)
- Patrick Star
- Squidward Tentacles
- Gary the Snail
- Sea spider (mentioned)
- Fiasco (cameo)
- Eugene H. Krabs
- Frankie Billy
- High school students
SpongeBob wakes up from bed but falls on Gary after his foghorn alarm clock sounds. SpongeBob says that he is not feeling good about his life and Gary pushes SpongeBob out of the room. SpongeBob suddenly falls down the stairs, crashes into the wall and the toaster, and then crashes onto his TV.
The TV suddenly turns on and an advert for life insurance appears. Gunther Fitz, who appears on the TV, then interacts with SpongeBob about getting SpongeBob's life insurance. Patrick then comes to his door to meet him to send him his mail. Patrick excitedly jumps around, but then suddenly asks what life insurance is. SpongeBob tells him that, by his interpretation, for the rest of their lives they are protected from being hurt. Patrick disagrees on the contract, but SpongeBob tells him to try to get hurt to test the life insurance. Patrick then agrees to get hurt to test it.
Outside, SpongeBob and Patrick have a pillow-fight. Meanwhile, Squidward shows off his new toupee on the mirror. Squidward gets angry and tells SpongeBob and Patrick what they are doing. SpongeBob replies that he and Patrick are attempting to hurt each other. Squidward walks off but suddenly has an idea of telling SpongeBob and Patrick to hurt each other with harder objects. Patrick then is handed a rake, which he uses to golf Squidward back to his house. Patrick then throws the rake into Squidward's house, disbelieving that Squidward got hurt. Squidward then suddenly finds his toupee on his nose, thinking it is a sea spider, and then bangs himself with a rake in an attempt to take out the "sea spider."
Meanwhile, SpongeBob and Patrick continue trying to get hurt by falling off objects several feet high. Squidward gets annoyed, and then tells them to fall off something higher. SpongeBob and Patrick then try to summon jellyfish to allow themselves to get stung. Squidward gets surprised, accidentally dropping his toupee into the toilet. He quickly retrieves it and re-puts it on his head. Squidward then asks what they are doing, and replies that they are having their "final test" by attempting to be stung while having life insurance. A large jellyfish is summoned and zaps Squidward.
SpongeBob and Patrick then recommend Squidward about life insurance, since he was zapped by the jellyfish. Patrick even tells him about their recently made dangerous obstacle course which they name "The Sushi-Maker." SpongeBob and Patrick give him life insurance and he initially disbelieves that it will work. After several near-misses, he soon agrees and runs off to do dangerous activities, including running through a "brick wall" that turns out to be a super large canvas and intimidating a tough guy.
SpongeBob and Patrick then come to meet Squidward and are concerned about his reckless behavior. Squidward then licks an ice cream that had recently been dropped on the floor. Squidward then arrogantly tells them that he will try The Sushi-Maker.
Near the obstacle course, Squidward climbs up a very tall ladder to jump into a pool of hot lava. Mr. Krabs happens to walk towards SpongeBob and Patrick to ask about what is happening. They reply to him that Squidward is proving that he is invincible because of his life insurance. Mr. Krabs then tells him that it's not the way life insurance works. He then tells that life insurance is the money the buyer gets when a person dies, then asks about who gets the money. Mr. Krabs signs the formerly unsigned life insurance contract that SpongeBob took from Squidward, then cheers briefly.
After, SpongeBob suddenly realizes that life insurance does not protect them from any danger and that those near-misses are only coincidental. Squidward ignores them and soon falls off the springboard into the lava pool. Squidward immediately screams and goes through all of the obstacle course, finally crashing into a heavy bell, full of blisters and grazes. SpongeBob then tells him that they were wrong about life insurance and that life insurance does not protect self-injury. Squidward tells him that he managed to survive because of his toupee and the episode ends with Patrick and SpongeBob attempting to smash the "sea spider" with their feet.
|( ‣ ) Associated production music|
|( • ) Original music|
|( ◦ ) SpongeBob music|
‣ Coconut Cream Pie - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Title card.]
‣ Hawaiian Beach - Peter Dennis [SpongeBob gets out of bed.]
‣ Dramatic Cue (c) - Ronald Hanmer [SpongeBob falls down the stairs.]
‣ Manhattan Playboy - Len Stevens [Life insurance commercial on TV.]
‣ Hot Steel and Slide Licks (r) - Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob answers the door.]
‣ Seaweed - Steve Belfer [Patrick gives SpongeBob his mail.]
‣ Vibe Sting - Nicolas Carr ["What's life insurance?"]
‣ Seaweed - Steve Belfer ["I'm not sure."]
‣ Lap Steel - Nicolas Carr [Transition to next scene.]
‣ Spongey Bubbles - Steve Belfer [SpongeBob and Patrick come outside with pillows.]
‣ Place Bleu - Werner Overheidt [Squidward wearing a wig.]
‣ Gator - Steve Belfer [Squidward comes outside while SpongeBob and Patrick are hitting each other with pillows.]
‣ Vibe Q Sting - Nicolas Carr ["Wait a second..."]
‣ Gator - Steve Belfer [Squidward gives Patrick a rake.]
‣ Dramatic Cue (a) - Ronald Hanmer [Squidward screams.]
‣ Dramatic Cue (b) - Ronald Hanmer ["Oh no, Patrick, I'm slipping!"]
‣ Gator - Steve Belfer ["I'm losing my footing!"]
‣ Hot Steel and Slide Licks (f) - Jeremy Wakefield ["I was trying to say you gotta fall from something higher."]
‣ Dramatic Cue (a) - Ronald Hanmer [Patrick grabs SpongeBob so he can step on the 'sea spider.']
‣ Stupid Plan - Steve Belfer [SpongeBob and Patrick blowing jellyfish whistles.]
‣ Dramatic Encounter - Gregor F. Narholz [Giant jellyfish appear and sting Squidward.]
‣ Hot Steel and Slide Licks (h) - Jeremy Wakefield ["Gee, Squidward. Maybe you should get some life insurance."]
‣ Unknown Track 27 - Fabian Fernandez [Obstacle course is shown.]
‣ Unknown Track 65 - "The Sushi Maker."
‣ Proud to be a Fish - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony [SpongeBob gives his life insurance policy to Squidward.]
‣ Hot Steel and Slide Licks I - Jeremy Wakefield ["Actually, you'd better take two, since you're kind of a klutz."]
‣ Tension Bits - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield ["Better take two? Life insurance?"]
‣ Hot Steel and Slide Licks (m) - Jeremy Wakefield ["You giblet-heads! No piece of paper can protect a person from getting hurt."]
‣ Dramatic Cue (d) - Ronald Hanmer [Anchor falls from the sky.]
‣ Dramatic Cue (g) - Ronald Hanmer [Driver veers off the road.]
‣ Gator - Steve Belfer ["Yay, life insurance!"]
‣ Unknown Track 21 - "Wow, I can't believe it!"
‣ Hot Steel and Slide Licks (l) - Jeremy Wakefield ["I'm indestructible!"]
‣ Tentically Speaking - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Squidward crosses a painting of a brick wall.]
‣ Fanfare (a) - "Nothing can hurt me!"
‣ Terror - Alan Braden [Squidward licks ice cream's germs.]
‣ Hot Steel and Slide Licks - Jeremy Wakefield [Squidward throws the ice cream cone away.]
‣ Vibe Q Sting - Nicolas Carr [SpongeBob and Patrick deny.]
‣ Evil Mind 3 - Dick De Benedictis [SpongeBob and Patrick scream.]
‣ Lap Steel - Nicolas Carr ["What's moxie?"]
‣ Unknown Track 27 - Fabian Fernandez [Squidward climbing ladder.]
‣ Sailor's Sting 10 - Michael Bolger, Nicolas Carr [Krabs explains to SpongeBob and Patrick how life insurance works.]
‣ Fight! Fight! Fight! (a) - Will Schaefer [Krabs as a cheerleader.]
‣ The Creature (a) - Gregor F. Narholz ["D-d-d-do or DIE?!"]
‣ Straight from Hell 10 - Gregor F. Narholz ["Life insurance is not what you think! You were right!"]
‣ Hot Steel and Slide Licks (b) - Jeremy Wakefield ["I can't hear you, just shut up and watch me!"]
‣ Drama Link - George Van Parys [SpongeBob and Patrick shaking the ladder.]
‣ Dramatic Cue (h) - Ronald Hanmer [Squidward falls to the lava tank.]
‣ Hawaiian Adventures SpongeBob Theme - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Squidward on the Sushi Maker.]
‣ Coconut Cream Pie - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield ["Hey Squidward, guess what I learned today?"]
‣ Dramatic Cue (a) - Ronald Hanmer [Ending.]
- The title card background is similar to that of "The Card." The main difference is that the background is pink instead of brown.
- Running gags:
- Squidward's toupee being mistaken as a sea spider.
- The three don't get hurt because of their contracts.
- Patrick's fear of spiders from "Home Sweet Pineapple" returns in this episode.
- This is Gunther Fitz's first appearance since his debut in "Mrs. Puff, You're Fired."
- One of The Salty Spitoon patrons from "No Weenies Allowed" appears as the tough fish who Squidward steals ice cream from.
- The tough guy's name is revealed to not be Herbert.
- The cheerleading outfit Mr. Krabs wears is very similar to Pearl's original design, which included pigtails and a purple dress.
- According to Vincent Waller, Sherm Cohen and his crew intentionally added the references to Mr. Fitz, the tough fish, and probably Fiasco.
- There was a 1-hour countdown before the premiere of this and "Burst Your Bubble." It was confirmed on the official SpongeBob Facebook page.
- The songs heard during the countdown were "Sky Drive," "Bonus Point," "Street Cop," and "Electronic Sheep" by Charles Hedger, and "Keep This Going" by Jon Murrill, Lee Richardson, Tom Ford, James Carlo Giorgi Cocozza and Sarah Jane Norman.
- This is the 400th episode segment of the series.
- This episode premiered eight years after "Pet or Pests" premiered, "License to Milkshake," "Squid Baby," "Little Yellow Book," and "Bumper to Bumper" premiered in Canada, and the premiere of "Sanctuary!" and "What's Eating Patrick?" in Canada.
- This episode premiered in Canada ten years after The SpongeBob SquarePants Movie premiered on YTV in Canada, five years afters after Nickelodeon officially announced season 10 and "The Krabby Patty That Ate Bikini Bottom" and "Bubble Buddy Returns" premiered in Canada, and three years after "The Sponge Who Could Fly" premiered in Poland and "I'm Your Biggest Fan" was released in Poland.
- The high school in this episode is different than the one seen in "Whale of a Birthday," "Patrick-Man!," and "Barnacle Face."
- In the episode, the Sushi-Maker is a dangerous torturing machine. This is a reference to the fact that people can eat a wide variety of sea creatures as sushi, and that can include octopus (which Squidward is).
- After the car was about to hit Squidward, the other contract is missing.
- In the first shot of SpongeBob's pineapple, his bottom right window is missing.
- SpongeBob's mouth does not appear to be in sync when he says "we call it... the Sushi-Maker."
- When Squidward falls out of the dent he made on the steel plate, the animation done there is poor.
- ^ https://twitter.com/VincentWaller72/status/790692162652413952
- ^ http://www.imdb.com/title/tt6539410/?ref_=tt_eps_pr_n
- ^ http://www.tv.com/shows/spongebob-squarepants/life-insurance-3448919/
- ^ https://twitter.com/adampaloian/status/843546494200238080
- ^ https://twitter.com/VincentWaller72/status/843541069140713472