"License to Milkshake" is a SpongeBob SquarePants episode from season nine. In this episode, SpongeBob returns to the milkshake academy after discovering his milk-shake license has expired.
One day around lunchtime, while working at the Krusty Krab
, SpongeBob gets a last minute order to serve a milkshake which he has not made in years. SpongeBob decides to make a simple milkshake in a blender and finishes it off by topping whipped cream and a cherry while walking out of the kitchen door. He serves it to Harold. Then, Harold says it tastes horrible (and throws a temper tantrum, demanding a refund while angry). Mr. Krabs comes in and walks Harold out of the restaurant while telling him that SpongeBob will make a proper milkshake for him tomorrow. Mr. Krabs then puts SpongeBob in a boatmobile and says he is taking him back to school.
SpongeBob and Mr. Krabs later arrive at the Milkshake Academy and SpongeBob has to attend the academy to learn how to make a proper milkshake again. Captain Frostymug tells the cadets to man their milkshake stations. When SpongeBob mans his station, he realizes that there are more buttons and contraptions than he's used to, but thinks he still can make a milkshake with no problem. Later, when he tries to mix the milkshake, he repeatedly pushes the wrong button. Frostymug comes over and has to inform SpongeBob that the controls are different and he has to push the button on the lower control panel. When SpongeBob manages to finally mix his milkshake, he lets Frostymug try it. However, when he tries it, the milkshake is frozen and it ends up in his eye. Frostymug suggests they need to get back to the basics. He tells SpongeBob before he makes a milkshake, he needs to know what it feels like to be a milkshake. He makes him go into the Shake Simulator, which shapes cadets who enter it into a milkshake-shaped blob. Frostymug sets the Simulator on "Obliterate," which makes the students gasp. A cadet reminds him that no one has ever survived Obliterate, to which he responds that he needs to learn. The simulator shakes, rattles, and rolls SpongeBob. Captain Frostymug decides to see how SpongeBob turned out and gets angry when he sees that he both survived, was unaffected and actually found it fun, believing it to be a fun carnival ride and asking to go again.
Angry, Frostymug says that he's never had such an "unteachable moron" in 30 years. He asks his students to tell him how he could teach SpongeBob how to make a milkshake (with one student replying, "You'd be better off teaching a piece of coral, sir!" to which the students laugh at). SpongeBob replies that he'll show the students that he can make a milkshake properly.
However, during the courses of making a milkshake, SpongeBob fails doing them all. During graduation, SpongeBob expects to get his milkshake license at this event. However, Captain Frostymug gives everyone milkshake licenses except for SpongeBob, since he couldn't even get past Step #1 of making a milkshake, which was filling the glass with ice cream. SpongeBob tells Frostymug that he will keep trying and heads to the milkshake machine. Captain Frostymug tells him he needs to put the milkshake up to "the spinny thing." Then, he stops, flashing back to 20 years ago.
In the flashback, he was the owner of a milkshake cafe called Milk Shake. Many customers were excited to have Frostymug's milkshakes. However, when he tried to make a milkshake for an eager customer, he ended up splattering the milkshake all over the store. A stain of milkshake got on the power lines that connect to the milkshake machine, destroying it. The milkshake machine squirted out milkshake stains onto the customers, frightening them and ruining Frostymug's career. He informs SpongeBob that he has not touched the milkshake machine in 20 years and gets his hand stuck in the machine. He is about to get his arm and all of him sucked into the machine, but SpongeBob is able to grab and save him just before the machine can suck him in. The machine ends up exploding, but Frostymug thanks SpongeBob for saving him. Thanks to the machine incident, Frostymug's arm is hurt. He realizes that he doesn't need a machine to make a milkshake and tells SpongeBob that a milkshake comes from within the heart.
The next day, at the Krusty Krab, SpongeBob serves Harold a milkshake, which he replies is the best he's ever had. Everyone now wants to buy SpongeBob's milkshakes. Captain Frostymug comes in, requesting a milkshake and gives SpongeBob his new milkshake license to which SpongeBob replies, "If only it were this easy to get a boating license" and laughs, ending the episode.
According to the storyboard, while Captain Frostymug was falling, he was going to make a beard out of whipped cream. This was mostly likely cut to save time. Also, he was originally going to have a red beard instead of a gray beard.
|( ‣ ) Associated production music|
|( • ) Original music|
|( ◦ ) SpongeBob music|
‣ Bikini Bottom Bound - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [title card]
‣ Vibe Q Sting - Nicolas Carr ["Double dip milkshake?"]
‣ Sailor's Sting 4 - Michael Bolger, Nicolas Carr [SpongeBob serves the milkshake]
‣ Unknown Track 45 - Nicolas Carr [cherry on top]
‣ Tension Bits - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [customer tries to drink the milkshake]
‣ Sailor's Sting 10 - Michael Bolger, Nicolas Carr ["This thing's frozen!"]
‣ Drama Link (g) - Hubert Clifford ["...SEVEN YEARS AGO!"]
‣ Sailor's Sting 2 - Michael Bolger, Nicolas Carr [Krabs tells the customer to come back tomorrow]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks (a) - Jeremy Wakefield [Krabs throws SpongeBob into his car]
‣ Yankee Doodle - Larry Hochman [Krabs drops SpongeBob off]
‣ Achievements in Aviation - Anthony W Mawer ["The Milkshake Academy!"]
‣ Dragon Flight A - Daryl Neil Alexander Griffith [Captain Frostymug jumps out of a plane]
‣ Military Parade (a) - Mladen Franko [Frostymug introduces himself]
‣ Glory Road - Sam Fonteyn [Frostymug explains his purpose]
‣ Hot Steel and Slide Licks - Jeremy Wakefield [cadets laugh]
‣ Glory Road - Sam Fonteyn ["This, Cadet SquarePants, is your scooper."]
‣ Lap Steel - Nicolas Carr [cadets run around]
‣ The Donut Dilemma - Nicolas Carr [SpongeBob tries to make a milkshake]
‣ ? ["Sir, yes, sir!"]
‣ The Donut Dilemma - Nicolas Carr ["How silly of me."]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks (r) - Jeremy Wakefield [milkshake is frozen]
‣ A Hero's Story (a) - Gregor F. Narholz [shake simulator]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks (b) - Jeremy Wakefield ["That was fun, can I go again?"]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks (i) - Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob gets embarrassed]
‣ ? - Fabian Fernandez [training montage]
‣ West Point - Larry Hochman [Frostymug giving milkshake licenses]
‣ Vibe Q Sting - Nicolas Carr ["Um, the printer ran out of ink?"]
‣ Tympup (a) - Sammy Burdson, John Charles Fiddy ["No, you simpleton!"]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks (j) - Jeremy Wakefield [Frostymug refuses to give SpongeBob a license]
‣ Terror Hunt - Phil Green ["The spinny thing..."]
‣ ? [20 years earlier]
‣ Red Alert [#8] - Harry Bluestone, Emil Cadkin [milkshake machine explodes]
‣ Dramatic End [#49] - Harry Bluestone, Emil Cadkin ["NO!"]
‣ Epic Adventure - Dick Stephen Walter ["I'm stuck in the blender!"]
‣ Shock Happening 2 - Harry Lubin [SpongeBob rescues Frostymug]
‣ Legion of Honor [#22] - Harry Bluestone ["I'd like to tell you a secret."]
‣ Lap Steel - Nicolas Carr ["Not at all."]
‣ Sailor's Sting 4 - Michael Bolger, Nicolas Carr [back at the Krusty Krab]
‣ V for Victory - Sam Fonteyn [Frostymug gives SpongeBob his milkshake license]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks (e) - Jeremy Wakefield [ending]
- As of September 26, 2017, The Internet Movie Database (IMDB) gives this episode a rating of 6.6/10 based on 115 ratings by users. TV.com users give this episode a rating of 5.3/10 based on 50 votes.
- There appears to be 19 milkshakes on the title card.
- The fighter jet in which SpongeBob flew on resembles the German World War II fighter; the Me 262, the world's first jet fighter.
- This is the second episode where a time card was not read by the narrator, the first being "I Was a Teenage Gary."
- This is the sixth episode where SpongeBob is seen flying in an aircraft.
- This is the second episode where Mr. Krabs and SpongeBob have gotten out of the Krusty Krab using the back door (shown on the left) while pursuing on the boatmobile. The first was "Bummer Vacation."
- Running gag: SpongeBob making frozen milkshakes.
- The episode's title is mentioned when Harold says that SpongeBob probably doesn't even have a license to milkshake.
- SpongeBob's milkshake license was first shown in "Yours, Mine and Mine."
- Oddly, in SpongeBob's milkshake license, his picture is shown while he is holding his spatula (since SpongeBob usually keeps his spatula at the Krusty Krab).
- SpongeBob's milkshake license expired around the time of "Selling Out." This could be a possible explanation as to why his license expired.
- In one scene SpongeBob makes a Krabby Patty instead of a milkshake. This is similar to "Le Big Switch" in which SpongeBob is unable to make anything other than a Krabby Patty.
- It is unknown how Frostymug became a milkshake instructor if he does not even know how to use a milkshake machine. It is possible that he merely forgot and relied on his students having prior knowledge on how to operate milkshake machines.
- This episode premiered 11 years after the premiere of "The Secret Box" and "Band Geeks."
- This episode premiered in Canada four years after "Pet or Pests" premiered.
- This is the first time that a time card is in 1080i HD.
- The training montage is a parody of the movie Top Gun, with SpongeBob riding a motorcycle, flying in a fighter jet, and playing beach volleyball.
- The music is also similar to the signature song from the film “Highway To The Danger Zone” by Kenny Loggins.
- The episode's title is a reference to the James Bond film License to Kill.
- The Milkshake Academy is an obvious parody to the Military Academy.
- In Germany, the time card was translated incorrectly. On the German one, it says 30 years earlier.
- At the end, when SpongeBob says, "If only it were this easy to get a boating license!," the closed captions incorrectly translate, "If only it were this easy to get a voting license!"
- This error is fixed on The Complete Ninth Season DVD.
- When SpongeBob drank the milkshake at the beach, he had a milkshake mustache but when he poured the rest on his head and shook himself, it had disappeared.
- It's possible he may have wiped it off his face off-camera.
- Captain Frostymug said that SpongeBob couldn't even get past step number one of making a milkshake (filling the glass with ice cream). However, it was shown numerous times that SpongeBob did, in fact, do this.
- However, it could just be an exaggeration for "SpongeBob can't make a milkshake."
- Alternatively, it could be due to the fact that the ice cream was frozen when it came out, meaning that the first step was done incorrectly.
- Captain Frostymug referred to the Milkshake Academy cadets as "Boys" even though there were 2 females.
- However, the Milkshake Academy appears to be a parody of the Military Academy, in which "boys" is sometimes used to refer to both genders.
- When Captain Frostymug got his arm stuck in the blender, he somehow managed to get both of his legs in the blender seconds later.
- Harold comments that his shake was disgusting and breaks the table with his solid milkshake. Seconds later, he puts the shake in SpongeBob's hat and smashes it. The shake becomes a viscous liquid within seconds, which should not be possible.
- When SpongeBob gives Harold his milkshake, he has eyebrows. In the next scene, his eyebrows disappear. At the end of the episode, his eyebrows are back.
- Assuming this episode took place when it aired (2012), the flashback and Captain Frostymug’s comment that he hadn’t touched a milkshake maker in “20 years” are both incorrect, as 20 years would have been 1992, and the flashback clearly depicts the 1980s.
- It is unknown why Spongebob was allowed to return to the Krusty Krab and prepare a milkshake when he didn’t have his license yet, especially considering that was the reason Mr. Krabs took him out in the first place.
- Although it is possible that Captain Frostymug had Spongebob return and prepare a milkshake to a customer as a chance for redemption
SpongeBob License to Milkshake Promo (HQ)
SpongeBob SquarePants Milkshake Academy Nickelodeon