"Lame and Fortune" is a SpongeBob SquarePants episode from season nine. In this episode, when fortune cookies start predicting the future, Plankton realizes he can twist them into his own evil schemes.
- Gary the Snail
- SpongeBob SquarePants
- Eugene H. Krabs
- Squidward Tentacles
- Green Executive
- Debbie Rechid
- Frank the Red-Shirt-Wearing Fish
- Frankie Billy
- Miss Rechid
- Monroe Timmy
- Baby Worms (debut)
- Frank the Lifeguard
- Fred (blue)
- Medley Fishbowl
- Nat Peterson
- Susie Rechid
- Taylor Fishbowl
- Sheldon J. Plankton
- Karen Plankton
- Daydream Karen
- Shelly Fishbowl
- Old Man Jenkins (blue)
- Daydream Old Man Jenkins (fat)
- Daydream Dwight T. Wad
- Daydream Betsy Krabs
- Daydream Grandpa Redbeard
- Daydream Old Crab
- One of Mr. Krabs' Daydream Nephews
- Daydream Pearl
- Nathiel Waters
- Billy the Lime Fish
- Jennifer Millie
- Jimmy Gus
- Martha Smith
- Norma Rechid
- Nancy Suzy Fish
- Vera Fishbowl
- Tina Fran
- Kevin C. Cucumber (leg only)
- Sheep (mentioned)
- Billy the Brown Fish
- Chinese Food customer
- Mama Plankton (mentioned)
The episode starts with a crane being lowered, looking as though the load is going to land onto a boat, but instead sinks into Bikini Bottom. SpongeBob and Gary are looking at clouds until they see the box full of fortune cookies before it lands on SpongeBob. Gary realizes that it is not a cloud, and decide to look inside where they find many fortune cookies. SpongeBob tries it with one of them, as does Gary. Before coming to the conclusion that they can indeed accurately predict the future, giving SpongeBob an idea to sell them at the Krusty Krab.
SpongeBob then takes them to the Krusty Krab where he tries to convince Mr. Krabs to give them away with every purchase but Mr. Krabs shuts down his idea. Squidward backs him up by saying that they are lame and that fortune cookies never come true. SpongeBob tells Squidward to try one, and when he opens it, it reads, "You will be rewarded for your particular talents." Squidward is presumably about to say how that will not happen before he wins the "most miserable cashier in Bikini Bottom" contest. He then gets a cash prize, which gets immediately purloined by Mr. Krabs. Soon after Mr. Krabs snatches Squidward's prize, SpongeBob assures Mr. Krabs about selling his magical cookies, which flips his thoughts about selling them, and decides to share them with the folks of Bikini Bottom.
Plankton finds out that this is happening and says Mr. Krabs is assured he is going to fail. Karen then yells for Plankton, causing him to crash into the Chum Bucket. She then asks if he could take out the trash. But he told Karen he had a plan to make fortunes that say bad things about the Krusty Krab. He then makes the fortunes. As soon as he finishes making fortunes, there was another can full of cookies but he destroyed it. As soon as SpongeBob took the cookies, the customers get fortunes that falsely advertise the Chum Bucket and slander the Krusty Krab.
Later, Plankton creates another fortune that says Mr. Krabs will die unless he gives up the Krabby Patty formula. Mr. Krabs is very shocked to see that. Then Mr. Krabs has a vision of what will happen if he dies. After his thought, SpongeBob and Mr. Krabs agree to give Plankton the formula. Back at the Chum Bucket, Karen is giving the customers some Chumbalaya but even though the customers find it disgusting, they still eat it due to the fake fortunes. Mr. Krabs and SpongeBob both make it to the Chum Bucket to deliver the formula to Plankton. SpongeBob tries to give Plankton the formula but it falls down. After getting smashed and stepped on, Plankton tells everyone to get out of the restaurant because he wrote the fake fortunes. Mr. Krabs grabs the formula and then gives him one fortune cookie. The fortune says:
- You will go on a long voyage where you will get everything you deserve.
Plankton is then taken to a different restaurant called Chinese Food where a live-action customer eats him.
|( ‣ ) Associated production music|
|( • ) Original music|
|( ◦ ) SpongeBob music|
‣ Salty Squid Jig - Michael Bolger, Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, James King [title card]
‣ Lap Steel - Nicolas Carr [Opening.]
‣ Evil Mind 3 - Dick De Benedictis [Crate dropped into ocean.]
‣ Alekoki - Kapono Beamer [SpongeBob and Gary watching clouds.]
‣ ? ["Look at that big one! And getting bigger and bigger and..."]
‣ Dramatic Encounter - Gregor Narholz [Crate lands on SpongeBob.]
‣ Hot Steel and Slide Licks (k) - Jeremy Wakefield ["Gary, that was a pretty heavy cloud."]
‣ ? ["Ooh, fortune cookies!"]
‣ Unknown Track 45 - Nicolas Carr [Shot of a fortune cookie.]
‣ Fairies (a) - John Fox, Otto Sieben [SpongeBob and Gary eating fortune cookies.]
‣ Lap Steel - Nicolas Carr [Transition to the Krusty Krab.]
‣ Sailor's Sting 10 - Michael Bolger, Nicolas Carr ["No, SpongeBob, we are not handing out anything free with every purchase!"]
‣ Samba in the Sky - Colin Frechter [Squidward wins a cash prize.]
‣ Sailor's Sting 8 - Michael Bolger, Nicolas Carr [Krabs takes Squidward's money/"We will share these magical macaroons with all the folks in Bikini Bottom."]
‣ Hot Steel and Slide Licks (p) - Jeremy Wakefield ["Great."]
‣ Sailor's Sting 4 - Michael Bolger, Nicolas Carr [SpongeBob and Krabs give out fortune cookies.]
‣ Nude Sting - Nicolas Carr [Fish eating hat.]
‣ Grand Pastures [#28] - Harry Bluestone [Fish fall in love.]
‣ Cartoon Sting 9 - Barry Anthony ["You will soon injure your legs?"]
‣ Hot Steel and Slide Licks (c) - Jeremy Wakefield ["Those fortune cookies are a hit."]
‣ Zelle 501 - Gerhard Trede ["Fortune cookies at the Krusty Krab, eh?"]
‣ The Fruitcake Vendor - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony [Karen wants Plankton to take out the trash.]
‣ They're Coming! - Trevor Duncan [Plankton making fortune cookies.]
‣ Dramatic Cue (e) - Ronald Hanmer [Plankton brings his cookies to the Krusty Krab.]
‣ Sailor's Sting 11 - Michael Bolger, Nicolas Carr [People buying fortune cookies.]
‣ Four Evil Men (c) - Trevor Duncan [People reading Plankton's fortunes.]
‣ Hot Steel and Slide Licks (u) - Jeremy Wakefield [Everyone goes to the Chum Bucket.]
‣ Creeping Up 29 - Harry Bluestone, Emil Cadkin [Krabs takes a fortune cookie.]
‣ Evil Wizard OL - Udi Harpaz [Plankton at the door.]
‣ Sailor's Sting 18 - Michael Bolger, Nicolas Carr ["Just how true are these cookie fortunes, SpongeBob?"]
‣ ? - Nicolas Carr [Mr. Krabs funeral.]
‣ The Great White (g) - Gregor Narholz [SpongeBob's arm pops off.]
‣ Hot Steel and Slide Licks (h) - Jeremy Wakefield [Mr. Krabs takes the formula.]
‣ Cartoon Sting 7 - Plankton giving chum to the customers.
‣ Hot Steel and Slide Licks (w) - Jeremy Wakefield ["I promised myself I wouldn't cry."]
‣ Sea Adventure - Sam Spence ["Leave it to me, Mr. Krabs."]
‣ Battle at Sea - Johnny Pearson [SpongeBob "swims" through the crowd.]
‣ Murder Scene 2 - Harry Bluestone, Emil Cadkin ["Here, Plankton. Mr. Krabs wants you to have this."]
‣ Sponge Monger - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Plankton trying to get the formula.]
‣ Tension Bits - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Plankton admits he wrote the fortunes.]
‣ SpongeBob History Song - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Everyone goes back to the Krusty Krab.]
‣ Hot Steel and Slide Licks (b) - Jeremy Wakefield [Plankton lands in a Chinese food restaurant.]
‣ Hot Steel and Slide Licks (a) - Jeremy Wakefield [Plankton gets eaten.]
- As of September 28, 2017, The Internet Movie Database (IMDB) gives this episode a rating of 7.7/10 based on 89 ratings by users. TV.com users give this episode a 9.4/10 based on 7 votes.
- This episode premiered in Israel on July 7, 2016 (4 days before the United States).
- This episode premiered in Israel six years after "The Cent of Money" premiered and one year after The Adventures of SpongeBob SquarePants DVD was released in the United Kingdom.
- This episode premiered four years after SpongeBob Comics No. 10 was released.
- This episode was rumored to premiere on May 7, 2016, but it did not premiere on that date. The episode officially premiered in both Israel and the United States 2 months later in July 2016.
- The title is a pun on the phrase "fame and fortune."
- This is the first premiere episode to have the new HD theme song. However, this is not the first episode to show it. The HD version was shown on "Eek, an Urchin!" rerun on the July 9, 2016 airing.
- Unlike the American premiere, the Canadian premiere of this episode did not feature the HD theme song.
- This is the first episode to use a CGI model of the Bikini Atoll island.
- The ships and boxes were also CGI.
- It is revealed that Mr. Krabs values his life more the Krabby Patty Secret Formula.
- One of Kevin C. Cucumber's legs make a brief appearance in the Chum Bucket when Plankton is trying to get the secret formula bottle.
- This is Squidward's 300th appearance in the series.
- This is Betsy Krabs' first appearance since "Spongicus" in Season 6.
- This is also Grandpa Redbeard's first appearance since "Grandpappy the Pirate."
- This is Grandpa Redbeard's second appearance in the series.
- It is also the second appearance of Mr. Krabs' nephews
- Also even though she doesn't interact with them in the fantasy, this marks the first time Pearl was seen with other relatives besides her father.
- This is also Grandpa Redbeard's first appearance since "Grandpappy the Pirate."
- This is the second time SpongeBob pressures Squidward into eating something. The first was in "Just One Bite."
- This is the second time Plankton is seen on the surface. The first was in The SpongeBob Movie: Sponge Out of Water.
- This is the fifth time an episode ends with Plankton being eaten. The first time was in "F.U.N.," the second was in "Banned in Bikini Bottom," the third time was in "20,000 Patties Under the Sea," and the fourth was in "Frozen Face-Off."
- This is the fourth time Squidward has been referred to as an octopus. The first was in "The Play's the Thing," the second was in "Sweet and Sour Squid," and the third was in "Patrick! The Game."
- This is the second time SpongeBob has been trampled by the customers. The first was in "The Original Fry Cook."
- This episode takes place before "Have You Seen This Snail?" and possibly "Born to Be Wild" because this is the episode that Lenny and Mable-Monica fall in love and in Have You Seen This Snail? they are shown to be dating or married.
- This is the fourth time something has been dropped into Bikini Bottom. The first time was in the episode "Frankendoodle," being the Magic Pencil, the second time in "Truth or Square," being the pineapple that SpongeBob lives in, and the third in The SpongeBob Movie: Sponge Out of Water, being the page ripped off the Magic Book that said THE END.
- The "MY LEG" gag is obviously referenced in this episode, when Ivy gets a fortune saying "You will soon injure your legs," and a piano crashes down on his legs. He also screams "My legs!" after the piano crashes.
- This is the second time Ivy gets injured at the Krusty Krab. The first was in "Stuck in the Wringer."
- In the Polish dub, the episode's title is "Ciastko z wróżbą" (Fortune Cookie).
- In Greece, the episode premiered approximately 1 year after the US release, on Wednesday July 19, 2017. This episode title is Τα Τυχερά Μπισκότα (The Fortune Cookies)
- An upside down version of the title card background is used in "Plankton Retires".
- When Plankton states fortune cookies are "hollow, full of lies, and leave a bad taste in your mouth" is taken from the speech the Mandarin gives in Iron Man 3.
- The title is a reference to the phrase "fame and fortune" and the 1960 Elvis Presley song of the same name.
- The splat Plankton formed when he was squished is a reference to the old Nickelodeon splat and The Splat logo.
- When SpongeBob and Mr. Krabs enter the Krusty Krab, the doors are missing.
- When a fortune cookie is opened, the cookie is eaten instead of the fortune. At the ending, when Plankton falls out of a fortune cookie, the customer is trying to eat the fortune.
- Although they might have thought Plankton was part of the fortune cookie.
- In the scene right after SpongeBob takes Plankton's fortune cookies, Lenny is shown without his suit on in the wide shot, but in the shot where Squidward asks for a break, Lenny is wearing his suit.
- When SpongeBob reads Gary's fortune, a trail of slime can be seen behind him. However, it is unseen after.
- In one scene, Squidward was at his post at the cash register, but in the next scene, he is at a table.