"Kenny the Cat" is a SpongeBob SquarePants episode from season nine. In this episode, SpongeBob looks up to a new celebrity: Kenny the Cat, a cat who can hold his breath for an incredible amount of time.
- SpongeBob SquarePants
- Kenny the Cat (debut)
- Sandy Cheeks
- Eugene H. Krabs
- Patrick Star
- Squidward Tentacles (cameo)
- Bikini Bottomites
- Nat Peterson
- Blue Fred
- Norma Rechid
- Monroe Timmy
- Isabelle Fish
- Officer John Slugfish
- Abigail Marge
- Billy (lime fish)
- Debbie Rechid
- Nathiel Waters
- Old Man Jenkins
- Nancy Suzy Fish
- Harold "Bill" Reginald
- Don the Whale
- Tina Fran
- Jennifer Millie
- Announcer (debut)
SpongeBob is excited because his brand new hero, Kenny the Cat, is coming to town. Kenny is a cat who can hold his breath underwater for a really long time. Mr. Krabs is excited about Kenny's visit to Bikini Bottom too, so he decides to have Kenny appear at the Krusty Krab and give him the manager's treatment. SpongeBob goes to Sandy's house and tells her the news about Kenny coming to town, but Sandy thinks Kenny is a fraud because no land mammal can hold their breath for an extended period of time.
That night, SpongeBob and Patrick camp outside to see Kenny. They look at the stars shortly afterwards SpongeBob paints his and Patrick's face to look like Kenny. He shows Patrick other objects he brought along to idol his idol. Patrick then gets creeped out by the amount of idol worship and leaves.
The next day, Kenny the Cat finally arrives and starts giving out autographs. SpongeBob asks Kenny to autograph his custom Kenny spatula. He then invites him to the Krusty Krab. Kenny arrives at the Krusty Krab and Mr. Krabs gives him free ketchup packets and an all-you-can-eat buffet in his honor. He begins to struggle, as he needs to take a breath. He draws a toilet and runs to the restroom. In the bathroom, Kenny takes an oxygen tank out from behind his back and uses it to breathe. SpongeBob sees this and realizes that Kenny is a fraud after all. Kenny begs SpongeBob not to reveal his secret because he just wants to be special and SpongeBob agrees.
When everyone is admiring Kenny and basking in his glorious fame, Sandy shows up and asks him some questions to expose Kenny. After she started talking about what happens to mammals who go without air for a long time, Kenny gives in from pressure and takes out his oxygen tank and reveals himself. This causes everyone to turn against Kenny and Mr. Krabs takes back the ketchup packs.
However, SpongeBob decides to help Kenny by giving him a suit and helmet. He decides that Kenny should become a famous cat who lives underwater (like Sandy does). Kenny thanks SpongeBob for helping him, but sadly Sandy arrives and launches Kenny back home to the surface. Sandy mentions that you can never trust a cat, but gets confused, saying, "Or is it a dog?" and the episode ends.
|( ‣ ) Associated production music|
|( • ) Original music|
|( ◦ ) SpongeBob music|
‣ Twelfth Street Rag - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [title card]
‣ Sailor's Sting 9 - Michael Bolger, Nicolas Carr [opening]
‣ Curtain-Raiser - Alan Braden [SpongeBob points to Kenny the Cat poster]
‣ Vibe Sting - Nicolas Carr ["What in clams name is 'the cat?'"]
‣ Banners Victorious - Ronald Hanmer [SpongeBob describes Kenny's accomplishments]
‣ Dramatic Impact 6 - Ivor Slaney [Mr. Krabs gasps]
‣ Nude Sting - Nicolas Carr ["Say, kiddo..."]
‣ Skipping to School - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob enter at Sandy's House]
‣ Drama Link (g) - Hubert Clifford [SpongeBob dried up]
‣ Goofy Conversation - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony ["You're kinda like a cat, aren't you?"]
‣ Lap Steel - Nicolas Carr [transition]
‣ Hot Steel and Slide Licks - Jeremy Wakefield ["Hopeless."]
‣ Drama Link (f) - Hubert Clifford [Patrick shocked]
‣ Hot Steel and Slide Licks (e) - Jeremy Wakefield [Patrick eats a taco]
‣ Unknown Track 21 - gazing into the stars
‣ Harp Ding - Nicolas Carr ["Hey, that reminds me!"]
‣ Cartoon Sting 1 - "Let's paint our faces to look like Kenny!"
‣ Lap Steel - Nicolas Carr [The next morning]
‣ Gala Premiere - Laurie Johnson [Kenny finally arrives at Bikini Bottom]
‣ Sailor's Sting 4 - Michael Bolger, Nicolas Carr [at the Krusty Krab]
‣ Mission Improbable - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony [Kenny goes to the bathroom]
‣ Horror Crash - Harry Lubin [SpongeBob sees Kenny using an oxygen tank]
‣ Melodrama 29 - Harry Bluestone, Emil Cadkin ["How could you, Kenny?"]
‣ Hot Steel and Slide Licks (j) - Jeremy Wakefield ["I can't believe I fell for such a PHONY!"]
‣ Saltwater Works - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield ["SpongeBob, please let me explain!"]
‣ Hello Blues - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield ["Really?!"]
‣ Sailor's Sting 4 - Michael Bolger, Nicolas Carr [Kenny back at Krusty Krab]
‣ Proud to be a Fish - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony [fish holding their breath]
‣ Hot Steel and Slide Licks (m) - Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob reads Kenny's note]
‣ Cartoon Sting 7 - Sandy enters
‣ Agitation Bridge 5 - Phil Green ["I NEED OXYGEN!!"]
‣ Hot Steel and Slide Licks (t) - Jeremy Wakefield [customers leaving out]
‣ Tentically Speaking - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [ending]
- It premiered on March 9, 2014 in America and March 6, 2015 in Germany.
- This episode is available on the Glove World Forever! and The Complete Ninth Season DVDs.
- As of September 27, 2017, The Internet Movie Database (IMDB) gives this episode a rating of 7.2/10 based on 97 ratings by users. TV.com users give this episode a 6.9/10 based on 22 votes.
- Biz Markie guest starred as Kenny the Cat.
- This is the first episode where SpongeBob refers to Sandy as "Sandra."
- This is the fifth time SpongeBob dehydrates in the Treedome due to his suffocation without the helmet. The others are "Tea at the Treedome," "Squirrel Jokes," "Yours, Mine and Mine," and "House Sittin' for Sandy."
- SpongeBob's Official K.T.C. Member card looks similar to his driver license photo in "Gone."
- This is one of the few episodes SpongeBob and Sandy both get mad at the same character.
- Sandy re-hydrated SpongeBob using a hose, similar to how she used a hose to re-hydrate both Patrick and SpongeBob in "Tea at the Treedome."
- The Krusty Krab Television is again in this episode. However, this time it's an HDTV screen instead of usual standard definition TV.
- The "Please Wash Your Fins" sign from the "Krusty Krab Training Video" was briefly seen.
- Kenny was the first character on the show to call SpongeBob by "Bob."
- This episode aired in Greece/Greek on July 2, 2013, before airing in the USA. "Yeti Krabs" aired in Greece on the same day (as in Greece, both an episode and its sister ones play regularly).
- At the end of the original airing, when this episode aired in the U.S., the end credits weren't shown. Instead, the last shot cuts to the start of the live coverage of the 2014 Kids' Choice Awards.
- This episode aired in the U.S. on March 29, just before the Nickelodeon 2014 Kids' Choice Awards.
- This is the fourth time an episode premiered on Kids Choice Night. The first was "Help Wanted," the second was "Krusty Towers," the third was "Planet of the Jellyfish," and the fifth were "Tutor Sauce" and "Lost in Bikini Bottom."
- This was the last episode aired before The SpongeBob Movie: Sponge Out of Water was released in North America.
- This was the last episode to premiere in 2014 and being the earliest episode to end the year on.
- This episode premiered on Amy Sedaris' 53rd birthday, 12 years after the premiere of "Krab Borg" and "Rock-a-Bye Bivalve," eight years after "Dunces and Dragons" premiered in Asia, six years after the premiere of "Nautical Novice" and "Spongicus," three years after The SpongeBob SquarePants Movie Blu-ray was released and one year after "Sweet and Sour Squid" and "The Googly Artiste" premiered in Greece.
- This episode premiered in Southeast Asia four years after The Yellow Avenger was released on PC.
- This episode premiered in Canada two years after SpongeBob and Friends: Patrick SquarePants was released and one year after SpongeBob Comics No. 40 was released.
- There are several subtle hints to Kenny as a fraud:
- Kenny is often seen with his cheeks puffed up, later revealed that he is holding his breath underwater all the time.
- Kenny never speaks or moves his mouth when his cheeks are puffed up.
- The name "Kenny" may be a reference to Tom Kenny, SpongeBob's voice actor.
- As stated above, Kenny's appearance is similar to that of Tom from Tom and Jerry. In addition, his appearance is similar to that of the cartoon version of Salem Saberhagen from Sabrina The Teenage Witch.
- Ironically, combining Tom and Kenny gives one Tom Kenny.
- The way Sandy thought Kenny was a fraud (and was) could be a reference to celebrities in real life, and how people think about them.
- Right before SpongeBob face-painted Patrick, Patrick was still wearing his green Kenny the Cat "A-Ok" hat. When SpongeBob was face painting Patrick, his hat suddenly disappeared even though he wasn't shown taking it off.
- Kenny's a cat, he should've been a lot larger than the fish and Sandy.
- Despite the fact Kenny needed an oxygen tank, he was able to talk after using it, which doesn't make any sense.
- Patrick's sleeping bag disappears right after he leaves, even though it was shown earlier.
- When everyone found out that Kenny was a fraud, the fish walked away and a male voice saying "Liar!" can be heard, but a female fish is the one opening her mouth for the word instead of a male one.
- When Kenny was breathing through his oxygen mask in front of his fans, the Chum Bucket was not seen.
- Somewhere at the end Kenny's nails turned white when he said "Have Mercy!" when his nails are supposed to be gray.