This article is in need of clean up in order to comply with Encyclopedia SpongeBobia's Manual of Style. Please help this Wiki by making this article clean and tidy!
Kelpshake was a drink-shaped restaurant chain that appeared in the episode "Best Frenemies."
Kelpshake was owned by Barnacle Products Incorporated. It was created as a business to ruin the Krusty Krab and the Chum Bucket. These restaurants sold Kelp Shakes, a popular soft drink comprised of kelp juice. Their stores also served pastries and baked goods.
The restaurant chain attempted to expand their business into Bikini Bottom, where (literally) hundreds of these restaurants eventually came into business by multiplying (the stores split in two like amoebas). The Kelp Shakes eventually became so popular that nobody wanted to drink anything else from other restaurants and the Krusty Krab initially lost all of its customers when Mr. Krabs announced a 'no outside drinks' policy.
When Mr. Krabs and Plankton saw that these restaurants were creating unwanted competition, Mr. Krabs and Plankton worked together to figure out the secret formula behind the Kelp Shakes. When they finally got their hands on one, they went to the Chum Bucket, where Karen analysed the drink and said that the main ingredient was Kelp Juice. Unfortunately, it had dangerous side effects, which Karen tried in vain to warn the duo about. This ingredient was later revealed to be toxic, as it made everybody who drank it grow green hair. When this was discovered, the stores were all closed down at the end of the episode.
Bikini Bottom has professionals draining each stand dry of its toxic waste, which according to them, will take decades.
The store is a green building in the shape of the bottle it comes in. It served as competition to the Krusty Krab for a short time. The restaurant has a basic interior with tiled floors, a counter, chairs and a big line. They were placed all over Bikini Bottom in random places. A new marketing strategy Mr. Barnacle of Barnacle Products Incorporated came up with. The Kelpshake logo basically displays "KELPSHAKE" in a red font. The restaurant has the ability to multiply. Despite the fact that it blocked traffic by spawning in the middle of a road, legal action was not taken until the end of the episode, and even then not for this reason.
SpongeBob holding a Kelpshake.
|First appearance:||Best Frenemies|
|Last appearance:||Best Frenemies|
Kelpshakes were an addictive and potentially toxic soft drink served in the Kelpshake restaurant chain. They make their first and only appearance in "Best Frenemies."
The drink was very popular and tasty (although Plankton described it as having "a pungent aftertaste"). The drink bottle also contained a straw.
It was eventually proven by Karen that the drink was 99% kelp juice and the remaining percentile was an unknown radioactive material that, at the end of the episode, was revealed to make the consumer grow green hair on their entire body, and abnormal round butts.
In the end of "Best Frenemies," SpongeBob, Mr. Krabs, and Plankton were the only ones seen being the victims of the Kelp Shake. However, since almost everybody else in town drank a Kelpshake, they all suffered the same symptoms.
The body changing of the Kelp Shake made the consumer look similar to a gorilla, and even your clothes, socks, underwear, and shoes became green kelp too. For some odd reasons, however, it took everybody except for Mr. Krabs and Plankton about two days to grow green hair and round buttocks.
It is possible that the Kelpshakes were all made at the same time, and were going to mutate the characters at that exact time, regardless of when or how much people drank as Mr. Krabs and Plankton only had one bottle between them while others had many more.
- In "Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy V," when Mermaid Man was taking along time to order, he looks at the Krusty Krab menu (galley grub) and a Kelp Shake appears on that Menu for $2. This has no relation to the Kelp Shakes in "Best Frenemies."
- When the characters drink the Kelpshakes, no fluid is seen swishing about in the bottles. Although it is clear that the beverage is present, it almost looks as if it is not there, and that it is just a bottle. However, it may be that the liquid is the same color as the bottle itself.
- The presence of the Kelpshake restaurants on either side of the Krusty Krab pokes fun at the similar locations of Starbucks stores unnaturally near other Starbucks stores.
- The Bikini Bottom professionals seemed to have not tried the kelp shake, since one of them said they will feel sorry for who ever drank it.
- The owner of the Kelpshake restaurant may be a scientist like Plankton, since he made it duplicate and chemicals are present in the drink.
- Two Kelpshake restaurants are seen at both sides of the Krusty Krab - but when we see through the window from the inside (while Krabs and Plankton argue) the Kelpshake restaurants are not there.
- In a way, the Kelp Shake is similar to Spongy Patties because both food products caused side effects to it's clientele.
|Locations (V • T • E)|
Barg'N-Mart • Chum Bucket • Krusty Krab • Mermalair • Mrs. Puff's Boating School • Bikini Bottom Mall • Goofy Goober's Ice Cream Party Boat • Hats • Reef Cinema • Bikini Bottom Jail • Bikini Bottom Hospital
|Food and Drinks|