"Karen's Virus" is a SpongeBob SquarePants episode from season eleven. In this episode, Karen gets a computer virus, and it's up to SpongeBob to get it out of her.
The episode starts with Karen having lunch with her friend, Hanna. She sneezes on Karen and tells her to go home and get some rest. Afterwards, Karen gets a virus in her system after Hanna spreads her bug on her databanks. Plankton then sees SpongeBob outside the Chum Bucket, banging a hammer that's on his head on the door. Plankton tells SpongeBob that Karen needs help, so they try to come up with names for the mission they are going to do. They choose to name it Operation: Saved Karen. Plankton then inserts SpongeBob into Karen's hard drive.
|| I can turn into a skyscraper!
This section is too short. You can help the Encyclopedia SpongeBobia by expanding
The episode was confirmed by Vincent Waller on March 29, 2018.
‣ One Zero Zero
|( ‣ ) Associated production music|
|( • ) Original music|
|( ◦ ) SpongeBob music|
- Harry Breuer, Jean-Jacques Perrey [Title card]
‣ Happy Links 6-9 - Paul Fenoulhet [Karen and Hanna at the Chum Bucket]
‣ Happy Links 1-5 - Paul Fenoulhet [Karen sneezes at Plankton]
‣ ? [Karen starts malfunctioning]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks (i) - Jeremy Wakefield ["Uh-oh. My ones and zeroes look like 10, 10, 10, 10."]
‣ Mission Improbable - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony ["Someone's gonna have to get inside you and kill that virus."]
‣ Gator - Steve Belfer [SpongeBob knocking Chum Bucket door with a hammer]
‣ ? [Plankton tells SpongeBob that Karen needs his help]
‣ Lap Steel - Nicolas Carr [Transition to next scene]
‣ ? [Karen lying on a table]
‣ ? ["Journey to the Center of Karen."]
‣ Arnold is Back 2 - Gregor Narholz ["The Mainframe Mission."]
‣ Harp Ding - Nicolas Carr ["Ooh, I know!"]
‣ Glory Road - Sam Fonteyn ["Operation Save Karen!"]
‣ Toy Piano - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony [SpongeBob holds up a drawing]
‣ Hot Steel and Slide Licks - Jeremy Wakefield [Chum Bucket exploded]
‣ ? [Plankton blows the fire out on his antennas]
‣ Neutral Mood - Simon May [SpongeBob zapped and injected into Karen]
‣ ? [Plankton gets electrocuted]
‣ Space Trek - Philip Johnston, Norman Whittle [SpongeBob arrives at Karen's hard drive]
‣ Destination Unknown - Gregor Narholz [Plankton starts talking to SpongeBob via megaphone]
‣ ? ["Talk to me, you digitized doofus!"]
‣ Destination Unknown - Gregor Narholz [Plankton tells SpongeBob to look for destruction]
‣ ? [SpongeBob falls through a hole made by the virus]
‣ Monster Bug A - Gregor Narholz [Karen gets off the table and starts destroying the Krusty Krab]
‣ Sailor's Sting 15 - Michael Bolger, Nicolas Carr ["I need you to control your wife. Er, computer, or whatever."]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks (j) - Jeremy Wakefield [Karen throws Squidward away and climbs into the register boat]
‣ Sailor's Sting 18 - Michael Bolger, Nicolas Carr [Krabs grabs the cash register out of Karen]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks (o) - Jeremy Wakefield ["Wow, I can never un-see that."]
‣ Code "Dead End" - Gregor Narholz [SpongeBob wandering through the hard drive]
‣ Odyssey - Sam Spence [Ideal Plankton appears and blasts the lasers with a laser gun]
‣ Forty Comedy Punctuations and Bridges 1-17 - Fredric Bayco [SpongeBob sighs and skips]
‣ Fun of the Fair - David Farnon [Amusement park in Karen's hard drive]
‣ Musique De L'Infini - Jean-Jacques Perrey [Virus destroys Karen's anger control center and love center]
‣ Odyssey - Sam Spence [Ideal Plankton climbs up a wall with SpongeBob]
‣ Unknown Track 72 - Money Krabs appears
‣ ? [Gnarly Squid appears]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks (f) - Jeremy Wakefield ["Hmm? Uh, nothing like a little make-up couldn't fix."]
‣ ? [Off Model SpongeBob appears]
‣ Armed Attack - Jean Clero [Ideal Plankton fights Money Krabs and Gnarly Squid]
‣ ? [SpongeBob and Off Model SpongeBob babbling]
‣ Code "Dead End" - Gregor Narholz ["Neptune's network! Which one of you is the real SpongeBob?"]
‣ Unknown Track 72 - SpongeBob claps
‣ Musique De L'Infini - Jean-Jacques Perrey [Virus roars to SpongeBob and Ideal Plankton]
‣ Thrill Ride - Gregor Narholz [SpongeBob swings across a ravine]
‣ Tower of Evil - Magnum Opus [Ideal Plankton falls into the ravine]
‣ Odyssey - Sam Spence ["I mean, yes!"]
‣ Hawaiian Adventures SpongeBob Theme - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Karen driving crazily a boat with Plankton]
‣ Unknown Track 60 - Karen crashes the boat into Wagon Wheel
‣ On Fire - Gregor Narholz [Virus at Karen's memory bank/SpongeBob escapes from virus until he bumps into a brick wall]
‣ Vibe Sting - Nicolas Carr ["I always wind up with one extra piece."]
‣ One Zero Zero - Harry Breuer, Jean-Jacques Perrey [Virus eats SpongeBob's extra piece]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks (p) - Jeremy Wakefield [Karen is tired and shuts off]
‣ Earl's Revenge - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Ending]
- As of November 6, 2018, The Internet Movie Database (IMDB) gives this episode a rating of 0.0/10 based on 0 ratings by users. TV.com users give this episode a rating of 0.0/10 based on 0 votes.
- This and "Girls' Night Out" are the first episodes to premiere on a day that daylight saving time ends.
- This episode premiered in the Netherlands on October 27, 2018, eight days prior to its premiere in the United States.
- When this episode premiered, it was paired up with "Girls' Night Out."
- This episode premiered 13 years after "SquidBob TentaclePants."
- This is among the many episodes to have an animated title card.
- Karen sings a warped version of the SpongeBob SquarePants theme song in her delusional state.
- This episode was originally going to premiere on October 24, 2018, before the new president of Nickelodeon signed on, at which it was moved to November 4, 2018.
- When SpongeBob gets mixed up after he is charred by the virus, he resembles how he does at one point in the theme song sequence.
- The flashbacks in Karen's memory includes footage from "Plankton!," "Welcome to the Chum Bucket," "The Algae's Always Greener," "Plankton's Army," "Enemy In-Law," "Komputer Overload," "Plankton Gets the Boot," and "F.U.N."
- This marks the first usage of the APM track "On Fire" since "Banned in Bikini Bottom" and "Arnold is Back 2" since "Patty Hype."
- SpongeBob's karate gear makes its first appearance since "Squid Defense."
- Ideal Plankton is a reference to Superman.
- Coincidentally, the virus is voiced by Clancy Brown, the voice of Lex Luthor in the DC Animated Universe.
- This episode is similar to the Teen Titans episode "Crash."
- SpongeBob and Off-Model SpongeBob running at each other could be a reference to the opening of Super Friends, where each of the Super Friends and their respective enemy run at each other.
- The virus itself bears a passing resemblance to Swayzak from Toonami, who is also a computer virus. Both have deep voices as well, although the virus' voice doesn't sound like the voice Swayzak has.
- In addition, "Operation: Save Karen" could be a reference to the goal statement in the final level of the Trapped in Hyperspace game, "Mission: Save TOM."
- This episode is also similar to the Courage the Cowardly Dog episode "Hard Drive Courage."
- The virus sounds like Uka Uka from Crash Bandicoot, who is also voiced by Clancy Brown.