- SpongeBob SquarePants
- Gary the Snail
- Patrick Star
- Harold "Bill" Reginald
- Norma Rechid
- Squidward Tentacles
- Abigail Marge
- Nat Peterson
- Eugene H. Krabs (cameo)
- Frankie Billy
- Jimmy Gus
- Nathiel Waters
- Charlie (cameo)
- Triton (mentioned)
- Susie Rechid
- News Reporter
- Patrick Clone
SynopsisSpongeBob is in his kitchen, karate-chopping a pineapple to look like Gary. He puts it on the floor, so Gary is eye-level with it. It attracts flies and one flies into SpongeBob's mouth and he begins to choke. Patrick walks in and asks for some cheese before realizing SpongeBob is choking. Once it becomes clear to him, he punches SpongeBob. SpongeBob flies across the room and lands against the wall and the fly leaves his mouth. He offers anything in return and gives Patrick the cheese.
While he's watching SpongeBob practice his karate exercises, Patrick asks his best friend to teach him karate. SpongeBob's a little skeptical but ultimately agrees since that was part of the deal. He tries to teach Patrick the "reverse whirlpool," and then how to fly into a brick wall and destroy it. Patrick succeeds in this but ends up unable to stop flying and destroys a lemonade stand. Next, SpongeBob tries to teach Patrick a move where he spins around on one foot. Patrick then starts spinning uncontrollably. SpongeBob gives up, and Patrick perfectly karate-chops a cinder block in half out of anger. He chops a steel sword and a boat as practice and then almost chops Baby Rechid. SpongeBob stops and warns him not to chop any living organisms or their property. He reminds him that "with power comes responsibility," but has to go to work and leaves Patrick, who starts chopping everything from arcade games to spinach.
A man runs into the Krusty Krab screaming that there is a "mad chopper" on the loose, and SpongeBob, knowing the man is referring to Patrick, sets off to stop his friend. Meanwhile, Patrick is in an ice-cream shop. He is buying a cone stacked high with every flavor they have. He owes the ice cream man over eighty dollars but tries to trade him for a lollipop. The ice cream man refuses and threatens to call the cops when Patrick chops the glass, cracking it, and tips the ice cream into his mouth while the ice cream man holds onto the money from the tip jar. The manager yells at the ice cream man for holding the money in the tip jar. Patrick gains considerable weight, and no longer fits through the door. He chops it and exits. SpongeBob comes and tells Patrick to stop destroying Bikini Bottom, but by that time, Patrick's arm cannot stop chopping. He eventually makes his way to the Barg'N-Mart and destroys the structure and searches for SpongeBob. He finds a pack of kitchen sponges and believes that this is SpongeBob's carcass but is told by an angry clerk that isn't SpongeBob. Patrick then asks if he didn't really crush his friend but the clerk points out the debris crushing SpongeBob. Patrick frees the unconscious SpongeBob and becomes very mad at himself and rips off his own hand. SpongeBob wakes up and Patrick grows his hand back, swearing never to use karate again.
Patrick then badly rebuilds the Barg'N-Mart. Patrick is then shown karate chopping a shopping cart, leaving SpongeBob confused. Another Patrick then appears, and the original-Patrick explains that in addition to sea stars being able to regenerate limbs, the limbs that fall off are able to regenerate bodies. The two Patricks then laugh as the Barg'N-Mart gets destroyed again, and the episode ends.
|( ‣ ) Associated production music|
|( • ) Original music|
|( ◦ ) SpongeBob music|
‣ Retro Cool 03 095 D - Steve Sechi [title card]
‣ Circus Parade (b) - Dick Walter ["Ta-da!"]
‣ Lap Steel - Nicolas Carr ["A gift in your likeness."]
‣ Boring Morning - Nicolas Carr, Steve Marston ["Cause pineapples are sweet, and you are sweet also as well."]
‣ Dramatic Impact 5 - Ivor Slaney ["Oh, no! He's... not right!"]
‣ Drama Link (g) - Hubert Clifford ["I'll help you!"]
‣ Hello Blues - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield ["Patrick, thank you so much!"]
‣ Retro Cool 03 095 D - Steve Sechi [SpongeBob's karate exercises]
‣ Wooden Bear - Gil Flat, Tony Tape, Florian Voelxen ["Oh, Patrick, my dear friend..."]
‣ Unknown Track 46 - Nicolas Carr ["There's so much you don't know."/SpongeBob lays on head.]
‣ What? - Sven Perner [SpongeBob does the inverted whirlpool]
‣ Unknown Track 46 - Nicolas Carr ["Woohoo! That was awesome!"/Patrick lays on head.]
‣ What? - Sven Perner [Patrick does the inverted whirlpool]
‣ Armed Attack - Jean Clero [Patrick crashes into a lemonade stand]
‣ Unknown Track 46 - Nicolas Carr [SpongeBob does a move/Patrick does a move.]
‣ The Pollywog Strut - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony [Patrick spinning]
‣ Steel Sting (j) - Jeremy Wakefield ["I didn't want to have to say this, but you're unteachable."]
‣ Exotic Sting - Nicolas Carr [Patrick chops a wall of cinder blocks in half]
‣ Against All Odds - Paul Lawler [Patrick chops a sword in half]
‣ Skipping to School - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Patrick chops a boat in half]
‣ Unknown Track 46 - Nicolas Carr ["With power comes responsibility."]
‣ Steel Licks (a) - Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob goes to work]
‣ Retro Cool 03 095 D - Steve Sechi [Patrick chopping hot dogs]
‣ Sailor's Sting 7 - Michael Bolger, Nicolas Carr [Patrick goes to the Krusty Krab]
‣ Lap Steel - Nicolas Carr ["You do realize I'm taking that out of your paycheck?"]
‣ Tomfoolery - David Snell [Patrick at the ice cream parlor]
‣ Unknown Track 33 - Patrick freezes
‣ Animal Antics [#74] - Phil Green [Patrick chopping things]
‣ Dramatic Bridge 1 - Phil Green ["Help! There's a mad chopper on the loose!"]
‣ Dramatic Bridge 4 - Phil Green ["Don't walk out that door!"]
‣ Seaweed - Steve Belfer ["SpongeBob! Just the man I was looking for!"]
‣ Dramatic End [#49] - Harry Bluestone, Emil Cadkin [pan of destroyed town]
‣ Steel Sting (c) - Jeremy Wakefield [prisoners freed]
‣ Harp Ding - Nicolas Carr ["I know!"]
‣ Dramatic Bridge 3 - Phil Green ["You must resist!"]
‣ Sponge Monger - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Patrick chopping everything in sight]
‣ Bikini Bottom News Theme - Nicolas Carr [news on TV]
‣ Sponge Monger - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield ["Not the giant-screen Tvs"]
‣ Bikini Bottom News Theme - Nicolas Carr ["The suspect is considered fat, pink, and dangerous."]
‣ Sponge Monger - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Patrick destroys Barg'n-Mart.]
‣ Dramatic Bridge 7 - Phil Green ["SpongeBob!"]
‣ Hawaiian Link (b) - Richard Myhill [Patrick cries]
‣ Nude Sting - Nicolas Carr [SpongeBob crushed]
‣ Dramatic Impact 6 - Ivor Slaney ["SpongeBob!"]
‣ Fates [#62] - Gregor F. Narholz ["I'll never forgive myself!"]
‣ Steel Sting (b) - Jeremy Wakefield ["Oh, hi, Patrick. What did I miss?"]
‣ Bashful Eyes - Kapono Beamer [ending]
- This episode is available on the Bikini Bottom Buddies, SpongeBob and Friends: Patrick SquarePants, and Complete Seventh Season DVDs.
- As of August 19, 2016, The Internet Movie Database (IMDB) gives this episode a rating of 7.2/10 based on 82 ratings by users. TV.com users give this episode a 6/10 based on 6 votes.
- The scene with SpongeBob SquarePants choking when a fly flew into his throat mirrors the "Nasty Patty," where the same thing happened to Health Inspector Yellowtail.
- In the show, SpongeBob's Karate Gear is red and Sandy Cheeks' karate gear is green or pink. In this episode, it also reveals that Patrick's gear is blue.
- This is currently the only karate-themed episode that Sandy Cheeks doesn't appear in.
- In reality, Ol' Ironsides was a large sailing ship that served in the Revolutionary War in the late 1700s.
- Although SpongeBob told him not to chop any lifeforms, he has never chopped any lifeforms but chopped property instead.
- Patrick was also told "With great power comes great responsibility" in "Rule of Dumb."
- Harold "Bill" Reginald appears three times in this episode: as a person selling lemonade, a Krusty Krab customer, and someone at the arcade.
- Like a real-life starfish, Patrick's arm grows back. Patrick's dismembered arm growing into another Patrick is also accurate: if a starfish's limb is cut off and has enough of the original body attached to it, it can grow an entire body.
- This is the first time that Harold has a lemonade stand. The second is in "Smoothe Jazz at Bikini Bottom."
- This is the first time Triton's name was a substitute for 'God' like Neptune. It was heard when SpongeBob tried to catch up with a crazy chopping Patrick. He exclaimed, "Triton's tunic!"
- This is the second time Patrick punches SpongeBob. The first was in "No Weenies Allowed."
- This is the second time Patrick grows an arm. The first time was in "The Pink Purloiner."
- The way that only SpongeBob's legs were seen when he was crushed is similar to the 1939 film The Wizard of Oz.
- When Patrick slices the cinder block in half, the halves look similar to the brick blocks from the Super Mario series.
- When SpongeBob told Patrick about power and responsibility, he said: "With power, comes responsibility.," as Voltaire, a famous French philosopher once did. It is also a famous quote from "Spider-Man." This is also referenced in the episode "Rule of Dumb."
- Patrick saying "Oh, yeah!" and bursting through a brick wall might be a reference to vintage Kool-Aid commercials where the Kool-Aid Man bursts through a wall and yells "Oh, yeah!"
- The story of Patrick not being able to control his hand when it chops is similar to the 1999 film, Idle Hands.
- When Patrick cuts the block of cinder, SpongeBob's hand appears larger than usual.
- When Patrick chops through the Krusty Krab doors, the yellow handles do not appear on the floor.
- When SpongeBob says "Patrick!" while riding his unicycle, his mouth does not move while he's talking.
- When Patrick heads to the Barg'N-Mart, SpongeBob says "Tritains tunic!" in his normal voice. However, when it shows the Barg'N-Mart, he says "He's heading straight for the Barg'N-Mart!" in a different voice.
- When Patrick enters the Barg'N-Mart, he says, "Not the muffin display!" before chopping a tray full of pastries. However, considering that they are topped with pink frosting, the "muffins" are more likely cupcakes.
- Although it is revealed in "You Don't Know Sponge" that Patrick's dominant hand is left, he chops with his right hand the majority of the time.
- Patrick can smell in this episode (the scene after the ice cream shop), whereas in "No Nose Knows," Patrick did not have a nose and was unable to smell.
- Same applies with various other episodes that show Patrick smelling without an actual nose.