"Jellyfishing" is a SpongeBob SquarePants episode from season one. In this episode, SpongeBob and Patrick take Squidward jellyfishing.
The episode begins with a jellyfish swimming by SpongeBob's house
, where SpongeBob and Patrick then observe it through a massive telescope protruding from a window in SpongeBob's house. They then slide down ropes (causing them to get rope burn) and put their jellyfish nets
together, and SpongeBob puts on his glasses
. They prepare for jellyfishing like a pro, but then meet Squidward and ask him if he wants to join them. He says that he can't go with them because he is "busy" and goes bicycling instead. SpongeBob asks Squidward if he can join them next time. Squidward sarcastically says yes and goes down the road.
Unfortunately, while he is biking, Squidward has an accident involving a jellyfish and gets his tentacles tangled in his bike's pedals, causing him to veer out of control and he tumbles down a cliff--then inexplicably explodes when he hits the bottom--leaving him ultimately wheelchair bound. SpongeBob and Patrick decide that what Squidward needs is a "Best Day Ever." It begins at Squidward's house where Patrick offers Squidward some soup. (For whatever reason, the doctors put bandages all over Squidward's body, including his mouth). Patrick blows the hot soup onto Squidward's bandaged face several times before SpongeBob says that soup isn't a good idea. SpongeBob then suggests that some music would be good, and gets Squidward's clarinet. He blows a bad note before realizing that his lips are too dry, and goes through several disgusting motions of trying to wet his lips. A disgusted Patrick soon violently snatches the instrument away from SpongeBob, declaring music not to be a good thing for Squidward either.
SpongeBob and Patrick then declare that a Jellyfishing expedition would be in order for the "Best Day Ever." They then go to Jellyfish Fields, SpongeBob tells Patrick to give a net to Squidward, while he finds "a good specimen." Patrick explains that Squidward must, "firmly grasp [the net] it in your hand," but when Patrick fails to put a jellyfishing net in Squidward's cast-covered hand, he gets frustrated and he stabs it through Squidward's palm, much to his chagrin and pain.
He is not into it at first, but when a jellyfish stings him, he goes after it for revenge. He manages to catch the jellyfish and bangs his net triumphantly against a pink mass, but in doing so, he angers a queen jellyfish, who was the aforementioned pink mass. The queen jellyfish chases after him, attacking him with an extremely massive sting.
The next day, SpongeBob and Patrick covered in band-aids meet outside Squidward's house and attempt to give a now life-support-bound Squidward
the jellyfish that he caught the previous day. SpongeBob wonders if Squidward is still mad, and Squidward, who is still mad, according to Patrick and based on his actions, opens the jar and lets the jellyfish attack SpongeBob and Patrick, but not before the jellyfish summons the Queen Jellyfish. As Squidward laughs, the Queen Jellyfish finds him and stings him again, destroying his life-support. A completely blackened Squidward can only say, "Ow" as the episode ends.
Background for the ropes.
‣ War Blowers
|( ‣ ) Associated production music|
|( • ) Original music|
|( ◦ ) SpongeBob music|
- The Blue Hawaiians [title card]
‣ Aloha Oe - Hans Haider, Queen Lili'uokalani [opening]
‣ The Grinder - Rolf Krueger [rock music/SpongeBob and Patrick take three sets of poles and three sets of nets.]
‣ Merlins Hill - Jennifer Jones [SpongeBob and Patrick jellyfishing]
‣ The Tip Top Polka/The Cliff Polka - Chelmsford Folk Band [SpongeBob asks Squidward if he wants to go with them]
‣ Hawaiian Link (a) - Richard Myhill [Squidward rides off]
‣ Hawaiian Link (b) - Richard Myhill ["Are you kidding? We're his best friends."]
‣ Honolulu March - Hans Haider [SpongeBob waiting for Squidward]
‣ You're Nice - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield ["Welcome home, Squidward!"]
‣ The Tip Top Polka/The Cliff Polka - Chelmsford Folk Band [Jellyfish Fields]
‣ Nick's B Danube - Nicolas Carr [showing Squidward how it's done]
‣ Blue Danube - Fiachra Trench, Johann Strauss [End of "Nick's B Danube"]
‣ Grass Skirt Chase - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Squidward chasing a jellyfish]
‣ Menace from the Deep - Robert Cornford [giant jellyfish wakes up]
‣ Dangerous A - Mladen Franko [giant jellyfish chases Squidward]
‣ Seaweed - Steve Belfer [the next day]
‣ Old Hilo March - Kapono Beamer [jellyfish in jar]
‣ Menace from the Deep - Robert Cornford [giant jellyfish returns]
‣ Hawaiian Link (a) - Richard Myhill ["Ow."]
- As of September 9, 2018, The Internet Movie Database (IMDB) gives this episode a rating of 8.6/10 based on 595 ratings by users. TV.com users give this episode a rating of 8.7/10 based on 267 votes.
- "Jellyfishing" was ranked #40 during the Best Day Ever event on November 9–10, 2006.
- The title card is similar to "Jellyfish Jam," except the jellyfish are pink instead of blue, the background is black instead of blue, and there is less jellyfish on this title card.
- Patrick's line "Firmly grasp it" has become a popular internet meme.
- This episode premiered in Canada on March 18, 2000.
- Squidward rides off a cliff, causing an explosion. This is referenced again in the episodes "My Pretty Seahorse" and "New Fish in Town," when Squidward states not to laugh at SpongeBob because of his previous karma, however, he still rides off a cliff and inexplicably explodes.
- In "I'm Your Biggest Fanatic," SpongeBob says that he has never seen a queen jellyfish, contrary to having seen one in this episode.
- This was Alan Smart's last episode as an animation director, until the season 4 debut episode, "Fear of a Krabby Patty."
- This episode marks the first usage of the APM track "Seaweed" and "Hawaiian Links."
- The footage of a jellyfish swimming around is reused in "20,000 Patties Under the Sea."
- SpongeBob's house has no window at the bottom right.
- When SpongeBob and Patrick get stung by jellyfish, said jellyfish have no spots.
- When Squidward leaves SpongeBob and Patrick on his bicycle, SpongeBob's house is missing.
- At the beginning, the sky is blue, but when SpongeBob and Patrick come out of the pineapple, the sky is orange, and when they chase the jellyfish, the sky is blue again.
- When SpongeBob says, "Hey, Patrick," Patrick's mouth is syncing to what SpongeBob is saying.
- When SpongeBob and Patrick throw Squidward a "Best Day Ever" party, SpongeBob is inside, but when Squidward leaves his house, SpongeBob is shown outside.
- When Squidward is in his wheelchair, he needs a cast for each arm, but he is able to move them to slam his jellyfish against the bigger jellyfish.
- When SpongeBob and Patrick are chanting "Jellyfishing! Jellyfishing!" at Jellyfish Fields, SpongeBob's mouth doesn't move to the sync.
- Squidward's net switches between his hands. First, it is in his right hand, then his left, then right again.
- When Squidward is on his wheel bed at the end of the episode, when he arrives at the scene he is facing his front door, however later on in the scene, he is facing towards Patrick's house when the big jellyfish zaps him.
- When SpongeBob says "Hey, Squidward!" his mouth moves as if he is saying something else.
- This happens again when he says "There's one in position."
- Someone gets stung in a different kind of way.
- SpongeBob and Patrick trying to give Squidward "the best day ever," but it ends up having Squidward getting repeatedly hurt.