"It Came from Goo Lagoon" is a SpongeBob SquarePants episode from season nine. In this episode, a giant super goo bubble has formed over Goo Lagoon, scaring Bikini Bottom!.
It is a typical day at Goo Lagoon and SpongeBob and Patrick are having fun. Suddenly, large purple volcanic Mucus Bubbles, also known as "Super Bubbles," arise out of the lagoon. They came out of a crack at the bottom of the lagoon. Two bubbles approach SpongeBob and Patrick while they are about to drown at sea. They bounce the goo bubbles like a ball on seawater, accidentally hitting fish swimming with a floater, a surfer, and a cheerleading-style posed fishes. Meanwhile, Sheldon (Plankton) tries to sell his chum from a wheelbarrow when Squidward smashes him with an umbrella. SpongeBob and Patrick use their Mucus Bubbles to likewise bounce and smash Squidward and his belongings.Plankton thinks that it is Karma and he notices that SpongeBob and Patrick are bouncing the goo bubble like a ball. He doesn't know what it is and tries to ask Squidward but Squidward leaves him and angrily scolds SpongeBob and Patrick. Just as SpongeBob and Patrick were going to use the goo bubbles to bounce like a ball, Sandy approaches them. Sandy tries to explain to SpongeBob, Patrick, Squidward, the Bikini Bottomites, and Plankton, that the bubbles are dangerous. She says that they are safe when stable, but if unstable, it can coat all of Bikini Bottom in a poisonous goo. Plankton hears this and builds a machine to find a bubble large enough to destroy the entire city, as most are rather small. Then he goes under the water in a ship to find the crack where the bubbles are coming from.
Meanwhile, more bubbles begin to arise from the lagoon, and the Bikini Bottomites begin to use the bubbles, although Sandy said it was dangerous. SpongeBob and Patrick continue to use the goo as bouncy balls. Squidward begins to use the goo as a hairdo.
The other citizens continue to use it for their own purposes as well. Perch Perkins begins to report for the Bikini Bottom News with Johnny. He states how the gooey Mucus Bubbles are popular at Goo Lagoon. While on the air, Sandy, now going partly insane with her theory, says how the bubbles were dangerous again. Everybody still thinks she is wrong, but soon she will be right. Plankton continues on his quest to find the ultimate Mucus Bubble in his ship. He is set to find the crack at any cost. Soon, he finds it. Plankton, as well as Karen, widen the crack and unleash the largest Mucus Bubble. It rises out of Goo Lagoon, and everybody now agrees with Sandy.
The trio examines the bubble and realize it is dangerous. They need to stop it with supplies from Sandy's treedome SpongeBob, Patrick, and Sandy proceed to her treedome. However, Patrick gets swept into the bubble, controlled by Plankton. The duo gets into Sandy's submarine at her treedome, then proceeds to save Patrick. They soon find the giant bubble and they tell Patrick to get in the Submarine but Patrick refuses, so they send down a crane to grab Patrick, who is sitting on the goo. Patrick is grabbed into the submarine, and then the three prepare themselves to stop the bubble. They soon discover that Plankton is controlling the bubble, after they see his ship. The recently reformed trio pursuit Plankton around the bubble. They oddly catch him seemingly easily. Sadly, Plankton outsmarts the trio and sends them off the bubble. He also destroys Sandy's submarine. The trio then pursue the bubble on foot through downtown Bikini Bottom. They end up at the Krusty Krab. SpongeBob, Patrick, Sandy, many Bikini Bottomites, and Mr. Krabs confront Plankton and the bubble in front of the Krusty Krab and Chum Bucket. Then, they attempt to send the bubble away, and foil Plankton's plan. Their attempts are failures, however. Plankton then demands the Krabby Patty formula or else he will pop the bubble, and coat the entire city in a poisonous goo. Left with a choice of giving up the formula or being chased by an angry mob, Mr. Krabs reluctantly surrenders and gives him the "formula." However, Plankton, being the heartless jerk he is, pops the bubble anyway without any remorse, causing the city to get covered in a poisonous goo. Plankton proceeds to read the "formula " on his ship. It reads, "The Only Ingredient Is... T.N.T."! He realizes the formula is fake while the T.N.T explodes, ruining his plan. Mr. Krabs, covered in goo, thinks everything is back to normal. Sandy corrects him, with the fact that everyone and everything in Bikini Bottom is covered in goo, and says that it is a "disaster." Mr. Krabs makes a plan to clean everybody. He uses soap bubbles to clean everybody and everything in town, while still making a profit.
|( ‣ ) Associated production music|
|( • ) Original music|
|( ◦ ) SpongeBob music|
‣ Out of the Crypt - Harry Lubin [Title card]
‣ Aloha Eo - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Opening]
‣ Some Things To Know About Monsters - Eban Schletter ["For deadly danger creeps their way..."]
‣ The Creature (a) - Gregor Narholz ["...and it came from Goo Lagoon!"]
‣ Surf Happy Fun (Underscore) - Billy Lincoln [Pan over beach]
‣ Vibe Q Sting - Nicolas Carr [SpongeBob wonders why they're not sinking]
‣ Planet Xz-3 30 - Gregor Narholz [SpongeBob and Patrick sitting on goo bubbles]
‣ Sponge Monger - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob and Patrick bouncing]
‣ Cartoon Sting 4 - Plankton selling chum
‣ Sponge Monger - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob, Patrick fall from the sky, smashing into Squidward]
‣ Planet Xz-3 30 - Gregor Narholz [Robot emerges from Goo Lagoon]
‣ ? ["Stop! Those bubbles are dangerous!"]
‣ Planet Surface - Gregor Narholz [Sandy explains]
‣ Break In - Harry Lubin [That rodent's right!]
‣ Tower of Evil - Magnum Opus [Rocket takes off]
‣ Cartoon Sting 1 - SpongeBob and Patrick playing with goo bubbles
‣ Dramatic Encounter - Gregor Narholz ["You have been warned!"]
‣ Unknown Track 5 - Volleyball
‣ Bikini Bottom News Theme - Nicolas Carr [News on TV]
‣ Surfing Sponge - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony [Perch Perkins interviews SpongeBob, Patrick]
‣ Crazy Mind - Harry Lubin ["Super goo is evil!"]
‣ Surfing Sponge - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony [Perch takes the microphone back]
‣ Crime Capers - Carlo Giacco ["I can't find this thing anywhere."]
‣ Tower of Evil - Magnum Opus [Karen cuts the ship's power]
‣ Psycho Killer - Harry Lubin ["YES!!"]
‣ Twilight Zone - Harry Bluestone, Emil Cadkin ["Giant goo bubble!"]
‣ Bikini Bottom News Theme - Nicolas Carr [Perch Perkins interviews Sandy/"This is Perch Perkins and I'm soaking wet. Back to you."]
‣ Tension Bits - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield ["No, Patrick, don't!"]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks (e) - Jeremy Wakefield [Patrick bounces back causing him to crash into SpongeBob]
‣ Unknown Track 7 - Sandy analyzing goo sample
‣ Hot Steel and Slide Licks (III) - Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob and Patrick make a painting made of goo]
‣ Gator - Steve Belfer [SpongeBob grows another set of arms]
‣ Assault [#60] - Geoff Love, Ken Thorne, Phil Green [Rumbling]
‣ Agitation Bridge 5 - Phil Green ["Run like heck!"]
‣ Bikini Bottom News Theme - Nicolas Carr ["Well, there you have it."]
‣ Agitation [#29] - Phil Green [Everyone running from the bubble]
‣ Tales from the Swamp (a) - Ron Goodwin [Bubble floating away with Patrick]
‣ Terror Hunt - Phil Green ["Now what do we do?"]
‣ Adventure Fanfare 1 - Harry Bluestone, Emil Cadkin ["Squidward, it's an emergency!"]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks (V) - Jeremy Wakefield [Goo drips on Squidward]
‣ Assault [#60] - Geoff Love, Ken Thorne, Phil Green [Patrick screaming]
‣ Gator - Steve Belfer [Patrick playing with goo]
‣ Rescue - Cecil Milner ["Hold on, Patrick!"]
‣ Bridal Chorus - Richard Wagner [Wedding]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks (m) - Jeremy Wakefield ["Help me, my beloved."]
‣ Armed Attack - Jean Clero [Goo dripping on townspeople/Sandy's missiles destroy Neptune's statue.]
‣ Vibe Sting - Nicolas Carr ["That's weird."]
‣ Victim 5 - Harry Lubin [Plankton pushing the goo bubble]
‣ Unknown Track 36 - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Sandy's submarine chases Plankton]
‣ Rodeo Rascals - Barry Anthony [Sandy lassos Plankton]
‣ Creeping Up 29 - Harry Bluestone, Emil Cadkin ["That's right, come to papa."]
‣ Death of the Alien 2 [#40] - Harry Bluestone, Emil Cadkin ["Retreat! Retreat!"]
‣ Nude Sting - Nicolas Carr ["Good thing we landed on SpongeBob."]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks (h) - Jeremy Wakefield ["My sub!"]
‣ Vibe Q Sting - Nicolas Carr ["Tough guy? Bubble?"]
‣ Harp Ding - Nicolas Carr ["Eureka!"]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks (c) - Jeremy Wakefield ["That's your answer for everything."]
‣ Red Alert [#8] - Harry Bluestone, Emil Cadkin ["Hello down there, Krabs!"]
‣ No Fear (a) - Udi Harpaz ["Hold it right there, mister."]
‣ Ruthless Killer - Phil Green ["Get him!"]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks (b) - Jeremy Wakefield [Bubble giant steps on Patrick]
‣ Tower of Evil - Magnum Opus [Bubble giant lifts goo bubble]
‣ Blue Danube - Fiachra Trench, Johann Strauss Sr [Goo bubble floats into space]
‣ Terror - Alan Braden ["Oh no, he's coming back!"]
‣ Dramatic Encounter - Gregor Narholz [Everyone screams]
‣ Unsettled Menace - Phil Green ["Give me that formula or I'll destroy the town!"]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks (n) - Jeremy Wakefield ["But I don't wanna!"]
‣ Sailor's Sting 15 - Michael Bolger, Nicolas Carr ["Okay, I'll do it."]
‣ Dream Date - Emil Cadkin, Phil Green, William Loose ["I can't believe it!"]
‣ Unsettled Menace - Phil Green ["This bubble, that is!"]
‣ Rescue - Cecil Milner [Goo bubble bursts]
‣ Cartoon Sting 5 - TNT stick
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks (k) - Jeremy Wakefield ["Ow."]
‣ Bikini Bottom Bound - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Krabs laughs]
‣ Sailor's Sting 4 - Michael Bolger, Nicolas Carr [Ending]
- As of September 26, 2017, The Internet Movie Database (IMDB) gives this episode a rating of 7.7/10 based on 80 ratings by users. TV.com users give this episode a rating of 7.4/10 based on 40 votes.
- The episode aired in Greece on June 27, 2013, before it aired in the United States.
- A clip of this episode was shown in Nickelodeon commercials.
- A clip from this episode can be seen in the 2017 Nickelodeon film Monster Trucks.
- The title card's font is similar to those of "Planet of the Jellyfish" and "Evil Spatula."
- This is the first double-length episode of season 9.
- This is the third double-length episode to be produced in widescreen. The first was "Truth or Square" and the second was "It's a SpongeBob Christmas!"
- This was the first episode to premiere in 2014.
- This episode marks the second time that Plankton has both been seen at and plans to sell chum at Goo Lagoon. The first was in "Walking Small."
- This is the third appearance of the Moon, close up. The first two are "Sandy's Rocket," and "Mooncation."
- This episode marks the third time Mr. Krabs has tricked Plankton with a fake formula. The first is in "Plankton's Army," and the second is in "New Leaf."
- In the promotion, this episode was called "SpongeBob Vs. The Goo."
- On Nickelodeon's TV and DirecTV schedule, it also refers to this name.
- In a promo for this episode, a version of the song "Can Can" is played.
- A sneak peak preview of the Nickelodeon animated show, Breadwinners, aired after this episode.
- In May 24, 2014, this episode had a playable version with The Goo From Goo Lagoon online game.
- The goo bubbles in this episode are purple, despite the title card background making it seem like they would be green.
- SpongeBob and Patrick running back and forth from the water wave similar to how they run back and forth from their houses in "That Sinking Feeling."
- This episode takes place after "No Nose Knows" because Patrick has a nose in this episode.
- Plankton selling chum in a cart is similar to how he sells chum from a box in "Drive Thru."
- The tanning mirror seen in this episode is different to the one seen in "Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy." Also, in both episodes, Squidward is the one who uses it.
- When Patrick's hands are covered with goo, he pulls his arm off and it doesn't grow back. Normally the limbs of a starfish do grow back. Patrick's limbs do grow back in "Karate Star," however.
- Sandy's submarine from "Bubble Troubles" appears again and is also destroyed.
- It is also damaged/destroyed in that episode.
- When Patrick gets hoisted up away from SpongeBlob, he says "Goodbye SpongeBlob." A similar line occurs in "Don't Look Now."
- When Sandy and SpongeBob re-enter Earth's atmosphere in "Mooncation," Sandy has to make sure they didn't burn up. Yet Plankton goes right up and comes down fast, never burning up.
- In the end, everybody is cleaned. This is similar to the de-icking in "Fungus Among Us."
- This episode may take place before "SpongeGuard on Duty" because SpongeBob and Patrick do not know how to swim.
- The lifeguard wears shorts that are similar to Patrick's.
- This episode premiered 13 years after "Wormy" and "Patty Hype" and five years after "Cephalopod Lodge."
- When SpongeBob and Patrick bounce on the goo bubbles right before they hit Nat, SpongeBob is shown and then Patrick shown ahead of him, but when SpongeBob bounces over Nat and when Patrick hit Nat, Patrick is behind SpongeBob.
- Both Patrick and SpongeBob's clothes change from their swim outfits to their normal outfits without it being shown.
- On the July 16, 2018 Nickelodeon airing of this episode, the episode wasn't properly letter-boxed on Nick's SD feed, resulting in the picture being noticeably zoomed in on Standard Definition TV screens.
- The button on Sandy's suit that opened up the projector was placed between the top of the zipper and the zipper itself.
- TV still lists it as "Spongebob VS. The Goo" even though it is not the special.
- When Bill jumped in the trash can, he was dirty and then turned from green to blue.
- When the Super Goo bubble is shown between the Krusty Krab and the Chum Bucket, the path leading from the Chum Bucket to the road is missing.