- Video game skiers
- Patrick Star
- Video game Patrick
- Sandy Cheeks
- SpongeBob SquarePants
- Squidward Tentacles (4 cameos)
- Purple Doctorfish
- Harold "Bill" Reginald
- Nat Peterson
- Jimmy Gus
- Abigail Marge
- Jennifer Millie
- Other members of the 7-mile spanking machine
- Chip (debut)
- Penny (debut)
- Used Napkin (debut)
- Giant Clam
- Old Man Jenkins
- Gorilla (debut)
- Gary the Snail (cameo)
- George (debut)
- Live-action family
The episode begins with Patrick sandboarding, as he crashes into a hill, breaking into pieces. It turns out Patrick was playing a video game, but the same thing that happened to the character soon happens to him. Sandy warns SpongeBob not to play games and board, then SpongeBob begins to board. While sandboarding, SpongeBob does a stunt called "The Grouchy Squidward." While doing this stunt, he almost crashes into a tree. He then turns around to tell Sandy that everything is fine, but he then loses control of the board and is sent flying. He then begins to plummet to the ground, and Sandy tells him to land on his bottom. SpongeBob does so, but his bottom shatters into many pieces and he is rushed to the hospital.
Purple Doctorfish says that it took 20 hours to glue it back together and that if he has another similar injury, he may end up in the "iron butt" which is a huge machine on wheels connected to where the butt used to be. SpongeBob goes on "around-the-clock butt patrol," however it seems the entire outside world is out to break his butt, as he passes a football pitch where players are slapped on the butt, and a spanking machine. Eventually SpongeBob cannot take it anymore and decides to stay home forever with his "potato chip," the "penny" that has never been used, and a "tissue napkin" that has been truly used. Sandy and Patrick ask SpongeBob if he wants to go shuffleboarding again, but he tells them he will never go outside again. Sandy then says they will find an activity that is so fun, he will have to go outside. They try a cake that SpongeBob must leave the house to blow out the candles on, Jellyfishing, ice-creams, trampolines and even giving an old person a bath, but nothing works. SpongeBob then sings a song about the joys of staying indoors, which makes Sandy very frustrated.Sandy comes up with a plan to have Patrick disguise as a gorilla, and pretend to attack Sandy, so that SpongeBob will have to come out and save her. SpongeBob is unconvinced by this until what appears to be another Patrick Star appears which transforms into an actual live-action gorilla. He then stuffs them into the bag, attacks them, and beats them up. SpongeBob initially does not want to risk going outside, but Chip 'reminds him' that if it was him being attacked by a gorilla, Sandy and Patrick would try to save him. Convinced by this, SpongeBob leaves the safety of his home to save his friends, but is easily defeated and is split in half by the gorilla. The episode ends with a massive non-sequitur: When SpongeBob asks how a gorilla can exist underwater, the gorilla, who suddenly starts speaking English, tries to explain, before he says "George, they're on to us!" and runs away on his zebra as SpongeBob in halfs, Sandy and Patrick watch him and George ride away in the sunset. The characters watch them run off, and a family that watched it all in confusion turns off the TV.
|( ‣ ) Associated production music|
|( • ) Original music|
|( ◦ ) SpongeBob music|
‣ Honolulu March - Hans Haider [title card]
‣ Full of Beans - Robert Schreier [opening]
‣ Lovely Scenery (c) - Mladen Franko ["Look out for that tree!"]
‣ Tympup (a) - John Fiddy, Sammy Burdson [SpongeBob trips and goes flying off the mountain]
‣ On Fire - Gregor F. Narholz [SpongeBob falling]
‣ Hawaiian Link (b) - Richard Myhill [at the hospital]
‣ Grass Skirt Chase - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [butt patrol]
‣ Country Girl [#30] - Beth Anne Clayton, Martyn Laight ["Yeah! Ride 'em, cowboy!"]
‣ Waddle Cop - David Farnon [SpongeBob says he is never leaving his house again]
‣ Paradise Isle - Jan Rap ["No, Patrick's right, Sandy."]
‣ Nostalgic Hawaii - Jan Rap [jellyfishing]
‣ Chief Taravana - Kapono Beamer [trying to get SpongeBob to come outside]
‣ Stack of Leis - Kapono Beamer [SpongeBob filter feeding]
‣ War Blowers - The Blue Hawaiians [Patrick in a gorilla costume]
‣ Dramatic Cue (h) - Ronald Hanmer ["A real gorilla!"]
‣ Twelfth Street Rag - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [gorilla attacks Sandy, Patrick]
‣ Dramatic Climax - Mike Sunderland [SpongeBob nervously opening his door]
‣ Against the Law (c) - Wilfred William Burns [paper blows onto SpongeBob's face]
‣ Unpreventable - Gregor F. Narholz [gorilla rips SpongeBob in half]
‣ Calling All Clowns - David Lindup [ending]
- This episode is available on the Tales from the Deep, Complete 3rd Season, and First 100 Episodes DVDs.
- As of April 29, 2017, The Internet Movie Database (IMDB) gives this episode a rating of 8.8/10 based on 274 ratings by users. TV.com users give this episode a rating of 9.0/10 based on 143 votes.
- Running Gags:
- Patrick and Sandy attempting to get SpongeBob to go outside but he constantly refuses.
- This episode was available on Tales from the Deep DVD before it aired on TV.
- This episode aired in Germany on September 22, 2003, before it aired in the USA.
- An alternate name for this episode is "Safety Freak SpongeBob." Some television guides, such as Dish Network, use this title. It is known on Charter and Foxtel as simply "Safety Freak."
- The Comcast description of the episode calls the episode "Safety Freak (I Had an Accident)." It is unknown why Comcast would put "I Had an Accident" in parentheses in the title.
- On old YTV airings of this episode, it was originally listed it as its former title, but, for unknown reasons, the YTV listings changed the title back to "Safety Freak" in 2013.
- The title card is similar to "Opposite Day" and "Can You Spare a Dime?"
- This is Sandy's only major appearance in Season 3.
- The Portable Gaming System (PGS) Patrick was holding is similar to the "Nintendo Game Boy Color."
- SpongeBob's fear of danger outside his home is irrational enough to be considered agoraphobia.
- SpongeBob's reclusive actions are similar to Howard Hughes, although, Howard Hughes never left his house because he was afraid of outside germs, not injuries.
- SpongeBob would not need to filter feed as he presumably has food in his house he could eat, however, it is possible that he is nearly out of food and will not go outside to get more food from the grocery store.
- The Gorilla is played by Frank Welker and the zebra is played by Dee Bradley Baker.
- At one point, Patrick is twerking in a gorilla suit while trying to lure SpongeBob outside.
- This episode, excluding the Patchy the Pirate episodes, shows a lot of live action characters including the Gorilla, George, and the people who were watching the television.
- The live action woman in the family at the end of the episode is played by Waddington.
- This is the first episode to have a "The End." Other episodes with the message include "Wishing You Well," "Banned in Bikini Bottom," "Planet of the Jellyfish," "Two Thumbs Down," and "Patrick's Coupon."
- Sand Mountain makes its second appearance in this episode, the first being "Prehibernation Week." It also appeared as a level in Battle for Bikini Bottom.
- This is the third time SpongeBob is split in half. The first two were "Texas" and "Procrastination."
- The ending could represent that the Gorilla is in the wrong show.
- This was the last episode to premiere in 2003.
- This episode premiered on Bill Fagerbakke's 46th birthday.
- This is Abigail Marge's 25th episode appearance.
- "Yellow sand" is a reference to "yellow snow," since "Sand Mountain" is basically a Bikini Bottom version of a real-life snowy mountain.
- When Patrick says This Game Stinks, it may be a reference to the failed marketing campaign for Earthbound.
- Before the "second Patrick" arrives, the real Patrick in a Gorilla Suit can be seen dancing similar to the Philippine novelty dance 'Otso-otso.'
- When Patrick is about to hit the sand mountain, his sled disappears.
- SpongeBob's butt should not have shattered upon impact as he is a sponge.
- SpongeBob's X-ray shows he was taped up with a lot of tape, but the doctor said he put it together with glue.
- When Patrick and Sandy enter SpongeBob's house, Patrick's right eyebrow flickers red for a fraction of a second.
- When SpongeBob says "No problem," Penny, Used Napkin and Chip are missing.
- When SpongeBob uses the really long spatula, the Krusty Krab clam sign is missing.
- When Patrick closes SpongeBob's door, his arm goes right through it.
- Near the middle of the episode, SpongeBob talks before his mouth moves.
- Before the dust collecting scene his window is a circle, but after it is oval-shaped.
- After SpongeBob sang "Indoors," Patrick can be seen crying. However, he disappears as Sandy points to SpongeBob.
- This may happen because Sandy is half way through SpongeBob's window, with no way to see Patrick.
- Just before the old person says "I say we take a bath," SpongeBob's socks are missing.
- When the old fish says, "I say we take a bath," the outside of SpongeBob's pineapple house is smooth instead of its normal texture.
- The Gorilla is slightly translucent in some scenes, but opaque in others.
- George the Zebra has spots instead of stripes.
|This page uses content from Wikipedia (original • authors). Both Encyclopedia SpongeBobia and Wikipedia are licensed under the CC BY-SA 3.0 Unported license.|