- Squidward Tentacles
- SpongeBob SquarePants
- Nathiel Waters
- Abigail Marge
- Frankie Billy
- Executive Dance Mistress (debut)
- Ribbon T-Rex (debut)
- Ribbon Mermaid (debut)
- Twin Sisters (debut)
- Squilliam Fancyson
- Patrick Star (cameo)
SynopsisOne morning, Squidward is walking to work with SpongeBob, who is dancing. Squidward is annoyed by the dancing. When Squidward asks SpongeBob, "Where's the music?" SpongeBob replies, "in my mind!" SpongeBob plays some music from his head, the music considered to be from title screens. When they are at work, SpongeBob does dance routines while he is giving people their orders. He happens to be giving an order to a dance searcher and she thinks he has talent, so she gives SpongeBob a card for the dance auditions. Squidward hears this and he gets jealous that SpongeBob was invited and he wasn't, so he hatches an evil plan, to make SpongeBob work so hard so that he will collapse from exhaustion then he can take SpongeBob's audition. To Squidward's annoyance, SpongeBob seems to dance better than he does. Frustrated, Squidward has SpongeBob perform a series of moves that SpongeBob cannot perform correctly, and he tells him to keep practicing and not stop no matter what ("Remember, don't stop until you get it right!") SpongeBob continues practicing through the night while Squidward rests, leaving him feeling exhausted the next morning. But Squidward, determined to make SpongeBob collapse, only pushes harder. After many hours of practice and yelling from Squidward, SpongeBob, at the end of his rope, finally performs the moves right. However, Squidward forces him to do it again. SpongeBob attempts the move again, but he is so tired that he finally stops and falls asleep, collapsing to the ground in the process. Squidward heads to the audition. He passes, and he ends up with the prize: being in Squilliam Fancyson's play. Squidward is upset that he is being taught by his rival. He was supposed to do the same thing SpongeBob does from the beginning, and Squilliam does the same talking to Squidward just like what he did to SpongeBob. Squidward is left crestfallen while Patrick and SpongeBob, apparently all recovered from his exhaustion appear.
This section is too short. You can help the Encyclopedia SpongeBobia by expanding it.
|( ‣ ) Associated production music|
|( • ) Original music|
|( ◦ ) SpongeBob music|
‣ Old Hilo March - Kapono Beamer [title card]
‣ Cartoon Sting 1 - "The coast looks clear."
‣ Twelfth Street Rag - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield ["Hi, Squidward!"]
‣ Surfing Sponge - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony [brain music #1]
‣ Old 49er - Nicolas Carr [brain music #2]
‣ Chum Bucket Rhumba - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [brain music #3]
‣ Sailor's Sting 12 - Michael Bolger, Nicolas Carr [SpongeBob dancing while making Krabby Patties]
‣ Harp Ding - Nicolas Carr ["Really? You like my dancing?"]
‣ Gorgeous Girl - Kurt Schick [talent agent invites SpongeBob to a dance audition]
‣ Steel Link (b) - Jeremy Wakefield ["I gotta practice as much as I can."]
‣ Comic Walk - Nicolas Carr [Squidward gets an idea]
‣ Lap Steel - Nicolas Carr [transition to next scene]
‣ Cartoon Sting 2 - Squidward tells SpongeBob to run to the top of Oyster Peak
‣ Cartoon Sting 2 - Moonwalking on the treadmill
‣ The Nutcracker: Waltz of the Flowers - Peter Ilyich Tchaikovsky [ribbon dancing]
‣ Steel Sting (c) - Jeremy Wakefield [Squidward stomping on the ribbon]
‣ Gala Premiere - Laurie Johnson [Squidward's cane routine]
‣ Vaudeville Show - Larry Hochman [SpongeBob's cane routine]
‣ Comic Walk - Sidney Torch ["We are gonna keep working on your routine until you get it right!"]
‣ Blue Danube Waltz - Johann Strauss Jr ["And a-one... and a-two... and... aha!"]
‣ Hawaiian Link (b) - Richard Myhill [the next morning]
‣ Steel Licks (a) - Jeremy Wakefield [Squidward goes to check on SpongeBob's progress]
‣ Blue Danube Waltz - Johann Strauss Jr [SpongeBob still practicing]
‣ Steel Licks (b) - Jeremy Wakefield ["Oh, come on now, after all I've done for you?"]
‣ The Nutcracker: Russian Dance - Peter Ilyich Tchaikovsky [montage of Squidward overworking SpongeBob]
‣ Blue Danube Waltz - Johann Strauss Jr ["And a-one... and a-two..."]
‣ Steel Sting - Jeremy Wakefield ["I'm still not convinced."]
‣ Blue Danube Waltz - Johann Strauss Jr ["And a-one... and a-two..."]
‣ Solo Steel 4 - Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob falls asleep]
‣ Solo Steel - Jeremy Wakefield [Squidward laughs.]
‣ Bubbly Wubbly Huggly - Nicolas Carr [dance auditions]
‣ Tympup (a) - Sammy Burdson, John Charles Fiddy ["You're out."]
‣ Vibe Q Sting - Nicolas Carr ["SpongeBob?"]
‣ Lap Steel - Nicolas Carr [Squidward appears]
‣ Sylvia: Pizzicati - Leo Clement Delibes [Squidward auditions]
‣ Curtain-Raiser - Alan Braden ["Congratulations! You got the gig."]
‣ Nude Sting - Nicolas Carr [Squidward stammering]
‣ Chum Bucket Rhumba - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Squilliam's dancing/Ending.]
- As of July 25, 2017, The Internet Movie Database (IMDB) gives this episode a rating of 7.0/10 based on 145 ratings by users. TV.com users give this episode a 7.1/10 based on 7 votes.
- The scene where SpongeBob says "Who put you on the planet?" has become a popular internet meme.
- In "Slimy Dancing," SpongeBob is portrayed as a terrible dancer, but in this episode, he is a wonderful dancer. His moves must have improved since then.
- This episode was set to premiere with "Single Cell Anniversary" one month earlier, but it aired by itself.
- This episode marks the second appearance of a Krusty Krab Pizza. The first was "Pizza Delivery."
- This is the first episode that Doug Lawrence wrote since the Season 2 episode "Procrastination."
- In the ribbon dancing scene, SpongeBob shapes the ribbon into a helicopter, a T-Rex, and a mermaid. Squidward spits his tea (although it's brown, it's actually hot cocoa) when SpongeBob shapes the ribbon.
- In the beginning of the episode, the coast is clear but when Squidward tries to get to the Krusty Krab, SpongeBob appeared. When Squidward tries to run away, SpongeBob quickly dances in front of him badly. Remember: SpongeBob's running speed is x4 while Squidward's running speed is x2. So that's why SpongeBob chases Squidward quickly.
- While SpongeBob dances to serve the customers, Billy gets a Krusty Combo, a giant pizza, and a knight's armor.
- SpongeBob has a bamboo cane, a top hat, and a red bowtie. Squidward has the same outfit.
- In Indonesia, SpongeBob didn't say "Who put you on the planet? Rueegh!" Instead, he says "Are you ever watching TV? Rueegh!"
- Oddly, in English Squilliam did say "Who put you on the planet? Rueegh!"
- In the Polish dub, this episode is called "Kocham tańczyć" which translates to "I love to dance."
- The popular phrase "Who put you on the planet? Augh" comes from a man dancing "Spirit of the truth Scroll Dance" saying exactly the same phrase defending his dancing 1:32, this clip can be viewed here This can be compared to both SpongeBob's and Squilliam's situation here This has gotten much popularity and a famous phrase from the show.
- SpongeBob does Michael Jackson's moonwalk on the treadmill, and other times in the episode. This episode possibly can be a tribute to Michael Jackson's death on June 25, 2009 when this episode was still being made.
- The episode's title card is similar to the popular t-shirt slogan "I♥NY."
- The 1963 hit song Surfin Bird by the "The Trashmen" is heard.
- Squidward's line Good night sweet prince is a reference to Shakespearian play Hamlet.
- During SpongeBob's entire cane routine, he is wearing a red bow tie, but after Squidward interrupts him, it disappears.
- The neckline on Squidward's leotard kept changing at the end of the episode.
- There are at least three of the same portrait of Squidward hung on Squidward's wall. The background of those pictures also changes from purple to green a few times.
- The Executive Dance Mistress states that SpongeBob should go to her studio for the audition, but the audition is actually held at the Recreation Center.
- SpongeBob is seen wearing a Krusty Krab employee hat, but when he pulls out his brain, his hat disappears, but reappears when he is dancing.