"Home Sweet Pineapple" is a SpongeBob SquarePants episode from season one. In this episode, SpongeBob's house is destroyed by nematodes.
A crowd of hungry nematodes arrives in Bikini Bottom
early in the morning. They eat through a variety of items, such as coral and a driving boatmobile
with the driver still in it. They then make their way to SpongeBob's pineapple house
. They pull out straws and start eating and drinking his house. Meanwhile, SpongeBob and Gary are inside,
sleeping, as everything starts to shrink. SpongeBob and Gary wake up, run outside the house, now reduced to what SpongeBob thinks is a small pebble, and see what the nematodes have done. SpongeBob calls Squidward on the phone, and Squidward asks if it is time for SpongeBob to ruin his day. Then Patrick gets up and says "Is it already time to ruin Squid's day?" When Squidward sees that SpongeBob's house is gone, he starts saying goodbye to SpongeBob, but throws a party inside his house, with confetti and streamers flying out of his front windows. Now that the house is no longer there, SpongeBob says that he will have to move back in with his mom and dad. However, Patrick tells SpongeBob to build a new house and SpongeBob agrees with Patrick.
Later, SpongeBob and Patrick attempt to build another pineapple house, but things fail.
SpongeBob and Gary try to sleep with Patrick, but Patrick won't share his rock, which the two are using as a blanket, and they get into a tug-of-war. After Patrick's snoring makes SpongeBob put corks in his ears, he begins drooling in his sleep. SpongeBob absorbs the drool and waddles over to Patrick. He then puts a giant cork inside his mouth. Later, Patrick has dreams that spiders are attacking him, and hits SpongeBob repeatedly with the rock, crushing him. SpongeBob decides to sleep far away from Patrick, but he has another nightmare, the charade repeats, then Patrick goes back to sleeping the way he normally does.
SpongeBob gives up sleeping with Patrick and goes to sleep with Squidward. SpongeBob asks Squidward for a glass of water, and Squidward, who is still half-asleep, brings him one. When they say goodnight to each other, Squidward realizes that SpongeBob is sleeping with him, and kicks Gary and SpongeBob out of his house.
The next day, Squidward gets up early so he can see SpongeBob move back with his parents. When SpongeBob's parents arrive, Patrick starts crying hysterically and attempts to drag Spongebob's family's car to a stop, and Squidward starts dancing and singing. SpongeBob finds a small pebble (the only thing left when the nematodes destroyed his house), and buries it where his house used to be, because it holds too many memories. He begins to tear up, and one tear falls on the spot where the pebble was planted. However, the pebble is actually a seed, and SpongeBob's tear waters the pineapple seed, which creates a massive vine on the ground, and vomits the house out before retreating underground, crushing Squidward, who was dancing on the remains of SpongeBob's house with joy.
|( ‣ ) Associated production music|
|( • ) Original music|
|( ◦ ) SpongeBob music|
‣ Sunshine in Hawaii - Max Mahlmann [title card]
‣ Me for You - George Callert [opening]
‣ Unpreventable - Gregor F. Narholz [SpongeBob's house shrinking]
‣ Me for You - George Callert [nematodes burp]
‣ Hawaiian Farewell - George Elliott [SpongeBob's house is gone]
‣ Buenos Aires (b) - Norman Candler [Squidward throws a party]
‣ Seaweed - Steve Belfer [Patrick suggests building a new house]
‣ Orchestral Flourish 4 [#37.03] - Gregor F. Narholz [fanfare]
‣ Sunshine in Hawaii - Max Mahlmann [building montage]
‣ Hawaiian Link (b) - Richard Myhill ["Tartar sauce!"]
‣ Queen's Aloha Oe (b) - Kapono Beamer, Queen Lili'uokalani [Patrick suggests living with him]
‣ South Sea Island Lullaby - George Elliott [that night]
‣ Lullaby - David Farnon [at Squidward's]
‣ Honolulu March - Hans Haider [the next morning]
‣ South Pacific Island II - Victor Cavini [SpongeBob's parents arrive]
‣ Good Bye Samba (a) - Ben Nabor [ending]
- As of June 11, 2016, The Internet Movie Database (IMDB) gives this episode a rating of 9.0/10 based on 209 ratings by users. TV.com users give this episode a rating of 9/10 based on 285 votes.
- "Home Sweet Pineapple" was ranked #87 during the Best Day Ever event on November 9–10, 2006.
- This is the first episode to use a pun or a parody as the title.
- This episode is the first to have the title card's writing in a handwrititten font.
- This episode marks the first appearance of a Shellphone.
- This is the first episode where SpongeBob's house is damaged. The second episode is "Home Sweet Rubble."
- Coincidentally, the title and general plot of these two episodes are similar; in both episodes, SpongeBob's house is destroyed, someone tries to rebuild it, and then the house comes back good as new.
- Because of this, many fans get these two episodes mixed up.
- The nematodes appear again in "Best Day Ever," where they consume the Krusty Krab and SpongeBob's pants.
- This episode could take place after "Help Wanted" because despite no mention/appearance of Mr. Krabs or the Krusty Krab, SpongeBob wouldn't leave Bikini Bottom without saying goodbye to Mr. Krabs and leaving his job first.
- It is shown that Patrick has a hole in his home under the rock in the beginning of the episode, as do future episodes, but when SpongeBob spends the night, it is shown that under the rock is just leveled ground and Patrick uses the rock as a blanket.
- It is revealed that Patrick has a fear of spiders, also known as arachnophobia. In reality, arachnophobia is the most common fear among humans.
- When SpongeBob wears his cap, it's the same cap that he wears when show creator Stephen Hillenburg drew him as SpongeBoy.
- This is the first episode to use the APM track Unpreventable.
- In the Polish version, this episode is called "Nie ma jak w domu," which means "Home Sweet Home," the phrase that the episode title parodies.
- In this episode, SpongeBob thinks he can't build a house, but in the following episodes he builds something else:
- When SpongeBob sits up on his bed, the back disappears.
- When SpongeBob is wearing the pineapple he and Patrick built, his nose is much longer than usual.
- When SpongeBob and Patrick are fighting over who has the rock, Gary, who is on the top of the rock, disappears.
- When SpongeBob is shivering, he is missing about three of his teeth, then one second later he goes back to having just two buck teeth again.
- When SpongeBob is shivering, the red line under his mouth is gone for a split second.
- Before Squidward returned to bed after giving SpongeBob a glass of water before he returned, the pillow is squared, only to fit for one person, but when Squidward goes to bed with SpongeBob, the pillow gets wide enough for two people.
- When Squidward gets ready, he throws a sock and a pair of underwear. He does not wear either of those things, so it unknown why he owns them.
- When SpongeBob waits for his parents, he carries his luggage even though his house and furniture was still gone.
- When SpongeBob's parents arrive at his home, his father says there's dinner waiting, but during this time it's only morning (as Squidward just woke from his sleep). There are two possible outcomes on why he said there was dinner waiting:
- SpongeBob's parents' house is located so far away that when they reach it, it's already night there so at the time they arrive they'll immediately have dinner. Also, towards the end of this episode, SpongeBob said goodbye to Bikini Bottom, which indicates that his parents do not live in Bikini Bottom.
- SpongeBob's father could be referring to lunch as dinner.
- When Squidward is saying goodbye to SpongeBob, he is taller than usual.
- Just before the seed begins to take root underground, Squidward says "He's leaving!," but the closed-captions say, "Yeah, baby!"
- Near the end of the episode, SpongeBob wears his hat when he's going to plant the seed. Yet, when he actually plants the seed, you see his face in close-up, but without the hat. After planting it, the hat reappears.