"Greasy Buffoons" is a SpongeBob SquarePants episode from season seven. In this episode, Mr. Krabs and Plankton start selling greasy foods at their restaurants.
While delivering an order to a customer, SpongeBob slips in a puddle of grease on the floor. Upon further inspection, he, Mr. Krabs, and Squidward see that the restaurant's grease trap (which is kept under the floorboards in Mr. Krabs' office), is full and hasn't been cleaned in some time. Mr. Krabs notes that he needs two employees to clean it for no extra pay, and Squidward vanishes into thin air, leaving SpongeBob and Mr. Krabs to do the job. That night, SpongeBob and Mr. Krabs siphon the grease from the trap into a tanker truck and take it to be "disposed of" by illegally dumping it behind the Chum Bucket. SpongeBob questions whether it is legal to dump all the grease behind the Chum Bucket, but as Mr. Krabs has no qualms about performing illegal activity and the owner of the Chum Bucket, Plankton, is his worst enemy, he tells SpongeBob not to worry.
The next morning, Plankton slips on the grease while taking out the trash, confused as to how it got there. It smells horrible, but upon tasting it, he finds it delicious. He takes advantage of the situation by putting it into his Chummy Patties. Later that day, Mr. Krabs sees that Plankton has a whole line of customers outside his restaurant, which is very unusual but then spots a sign that reads the Chum Bucket is now selling "Chummy Patties with edible flavor" (which is basically Chummy Patties soaked in Krusty Krab grease). He goes to question Plankton about it, who says that he had a visit from the "flavor fairy."
Realizing that it was the grease that he dumped that gave Plankton's chum its flavor, Mr. Krabs instructs SpongeBob to cook two patties for everyone who ordered, using the grease from the second to fry the first. SpongeBob thinks that it is unhealthy, but does as he is told. Mr. Krabs promotes this as a "Deluxe Krabby Patty," which steals Plankton's customers. Plankton figures out that it was Mr. Krabs that dumped the grease, so he creates "New Chummy Patties packed with Quadruple Grilled Goodness," which steals Mr. Krabs' customers again. Everyone is becoming very unhealthy from eating the greasy patties, but they can't stop eating them. Mr. Krabs makes SpongeBob put even more grease in the patties, and after slipping in some grease in which SpongeBob dropped some buns on an hour ago, Mr. Krabs decides to create Krabby Patties with "Yummy Bunz" (which are only just patties with their buns soaked in grease). In response, Plankton creates "Crispity Crunchities," which are just burnt grease crumbs. Mr. Krabs then creates "Wow! Soup", which is just pure grease on a paper plate. When SpongeBob walks out of the kitchen, he realizes that the Krusty Krab, the customers, and the ground outside are covered in grease and the customers are extremely sick. SpongeBob starts to have second thoughts about the greasy foods that Mr. Krabs and Plankton are serving. When SpongeBob sees an obese Patrick walking into the restaurant to get some Wow! Soup, he decides that enough is enough.
SpongeBob calls the health inspector, which Mr. Krabs and Plankton fear. When the health inspector arrives and questions what had happened, SpongeBob tries to tell him that Mr. Krabs and Plankton are feeding people grease, but he is cut off by Mr. Krabs and Plankton, who stuff him in a bin. He then repeatedly says "They've been feeding people-", only to be cut off every time by being knocked on the head with the bin lid by Mr. Krabs and Plankton, getting trapped in the bin after Mr. Krabs and Plankton put the lid on, and falling off a cliff after Mr. Krabs and Plankton roll the bin off the cliff, leaving him seriously injured at the bottom of said cliff before weakly telling the health inspector that they have been feeding people grease. The health inspector admits that he thought the smell of the grease was familiar, but also figured that maybe Plankton or Krabs just hadn't bathed in a while — he closes both of their
restaurants until all the grease gets cleaned up. SpongeBob helps by simply soaking up the grease and goes to dispose of it, but Patrick starts licking him, thinking he is "Crunchety munchety." SpongeBob runs away with Patrick behind as the episode comes to an end.
|( ‣ ) Associated production music|
|( • ) Original music|
|( ◦ ) SpongeBob music|
‣ Clownfish Capers - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [title card]
‣ Sailor's Sting 2 - Michael Bolger, Nicolas Carr [opening]
‣ Vibe Sting - Nicolas Carr [SpongeBob stops reading]
‣ Sailor's Sting 2 - Michael Bolger, Nicolas Carr ["Squidward, what size kelp fries are these?"]
‣ High Black Shoes - Tom Hedden [SpongeBob making a Krabby Patty]
‣ Dramatic Impact 6 - Ivor Slaney [SpongeBob slips in grease]
‣ Sailor's Sting 13 - Michael Bolger, Nicolas Carr ["Squidward, what's all the hubberub?"]
‣ Steel Licks (b) - Jeremy Wakefield ["I'm not sure, Mr. Krabs."]
‣ Vibe Q Sting - Nicolas Carr ["Grease slick, eh?"]
‣ Frankenstein's Niece (a) - Gregor F. Narholz [pan up grease trap]
‣ Sailor's Sting 3 - "That's a big job."
‣ Nude Sting - Nicolas Carr ["Yeah!"]
‣ Wooden Bear - Gil Flat, Tony Tape, Florian Voelxen [cleaning out the grease trap]
‣ Vibe Q Sting - Nicolas Carr ["Hmm..."]
‣ Heavy Footsteps (a) - Paddy Kingsland [Krabs dumps the grease behind the Chum Bucket]
‣ Comic Walk - Nicolas Carr ["It reeks... but it tastes delicious!"]
‣ Harp Ding - Nicolas Carr [Plankton gets an idea]
‣ Verve - Jack Shaindlin [Plankton laughs evilly]
‣ Mission Improbable - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony [line of customers at the Chum Bucket]
‣ Befuddled Gent - Phil Green ["Well, well, Eugene Krabs."]
‣ Nautical Hijinx - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony [Krabs tells SpongeBob to fry more patties for extra grease]
‣ Circus Parade (b) - Dick Stephen Walter [Deluxe Krabby Patties]
‣ Dingles Regatta - Brian Peters [everyone goes to the Krusty Krab]
‣ Lap Steel - Nicolas Carr [Chum Bucket empty]
‣ When Daylight Shines/Captain Lenoe's - Michael Arthur, Colin Cater, Mick Graves, The Folk Players, Sarah Graves, Simon Ritchie ["These are delicious!"]
‣ Zelle 501 - Gerhard Trede [Plankton spying]
‣ Hawaiian Cocktail - Richard Myhill [Ultra Chummy Patties]
‣ Forward Advance - Laurie Johnson ["Quadruple goodness? We'll see about that."]
‣ Vibe Q Sting - Nicolas Carr ["Uh..."]
‣ Editor's Falling Over (b) - Dick Stephen Walter [Krabs slips in grease]
‣ Steel Licks - Jeremy Wakefield [grease-soaked bun]
‣ Harp Ding - Nicolas Carr [Krabs gets an idea]
‣ Historical Fanfare [#68.02] - Harry Bluestone [Yummy Bunz]
‣ Wargames Linking Section (g) - Keith Mansfield [Plankton's newest creation]
‣ Variety Link (d) - Dick Stephen Walter [Crispity Crunchities]
‣ Sailor's Sting 12 - Michael Bolger, Nicolas Carr [pure grease on a paper plate]
‣ Proud Fanfare - David Farnon [Wow! Soup]
‣ Wargames Linking Section (f) - Keith Mansfield ["Get those seven orders out to Table 3 pronto!"]
‣ Steel Licks (d) - Jeremy Wakefield [customers getting sick]
‣ Deadline - Sam Spence ["SpongeBob!"]
‣ The Dreadnought Tea Clipper (b) - Tim Laycock, Robert Alexander White ["Actually, Mr. Krabs, I've been thinking."]
‣ Drama Link (c) - Hubert Clifford [Patrick's sick]
‣ Fates [#61] - Gregor F. Narholz ["Not my best friend too!"]
‣ International Intrigue - Joe Sherman [health inspector arrives]
‣ Sailor's Sting 3 - SpongeBob tries to explain
‣ Unknown Hawaiian Sting (h) - Jeremy Wakefield ["Well, I thought I recognized this horrible stench."]
‣ Comic Walk - Sidney Torch [health inspector closes both restaurants]
‣ Here's Adieu Sweet Lovely Nancy (b) - Tim Laycock, Robert Alexander White ["I guess this is it, boy."]
‣ Harp Ding - Nicolas Carr ["Wait a minute."]
‣ Solo Steel 4 - Jeremy Wakefield [Krabs sleeping]
‣ Kalua Jubilee - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [ending]
- As of August 19, 2016, The Internet Movie Database (IMDB) gives this episode a rating of 6.6/10 based on 96 ratings by users. TV.com users give this episode a rating of 8.4/10 based on 131 votes.
- The title card is similar to that of "Sun Bleached."
- In the original airing, "Model Sponge" aired first, then this episode. This was due to "Model Sponge" being heavily advertised as the episode where SpongeBob finds a new commercial actor job. In later airings, the order has been swapped.
- In the beginning of the episode, SpongeBob slips on a grease spill. As this is happening, the Nickelodeon banner covers up the bottom portion of the screen. The grease is covered up by the banner, so during the first airing of the episode, viewers were temporarily confused why SpongeBob slipped.
- At the beginning of this episode, SpongeBob slips on the grease and hurts himself really bad but Mr. Krabs doesn't care one bit. This is some proof of his carelessness.
- This marks the 250th episode segment of the series.
- This is the third time a health inspector is shown. The first and second times were in "The Nasty Patty" and "The Krabby Kronicle." However, this one is in the same Quarantine suit from "Fungus Among Us" and "Best Frenemies." It is unknown if this one is the same one, or if this is a different health inspector.
- This is the second time that people paid to eat Plankton's food and enjoyed it; the first was in "Chum Bucket Supreme."
- In this episode, the transitions from scene to scene uses grease instead of the usual bubbles.
- The episode's original plot included SpongeBob trying to help get Patrick a job at a fast food restaurant that sells greasy items. However, this was eventually scrapped, with Patrick playing only a very minor role where he walks into the Krusty Krab obese, causing SpongeBob to decide to stop it.
- In previous episodes, Plankton was the antagonist to Mr. Krabs, while Mr. Krabs was to SpongeBob. This is the first episode where they are both antagonists to SpongeBob. In this case, Krabs forced him to work for his own sake, and Plankton was motivating Mr. Krabs to use his employee.
- Mr. Krabs wears glasses in this episode but only to magnify what he is reading.
- This episode is possibly a reference to the fast food industry, which utilizes hiding the truth of their food (unhealthy amounts of sodium and cholesterol) with bogus claims or titles (Wow! Soup).
- Running Gag: Mr. Krabs mispronouncing words (Delicious=Delicherous, Voila=Voilerah, Deluxe=Deluxee), and Krabs and Plankton keep coming up with ideas for more customers.
- Nat sounds slightly like Cleveland Brown from The Cleveland Show and Family Guy in this episode.
- In real life, excessive grease would make food taste terrible to most people, depending on one's tastes.
- When Mr. Krabs illegally dumps the grease, it's littering. Oddly, even though the Bikini Bottom police force are notorious for being knee-jerks, as well as appearing out of nowhere when it comes to littering (as seen in "Keep Bikini Bottom Beautiful"), Mr. Krabs isn't caught. Plankton escapes being blamed for the spill.
- Mr. Krabs serves "soup" on a plate. Soup should be served in bowls, not plates.
- In this episode, SpongeBob drives perfectly unlike most other episodes which has him driving except for "Mrs. Puff, You're Fired" and "Boating School" but the difference between this episode, "Mrs. Puff, You're Fired" and "Boating School" was that in "Mrs. Puff, You're Fired," he only drove perfectly when he was blindfolded and in "Boating School," he was driving regular but he found out he was cheating and started driving recklessly again.
- It should also be noted that SpongeBob drove a semi truck with excellence, rather than a regular boat mobile with carelessness.
- The customer saying "Uh" for a long time is a reference to the "Krusty Krab Training Video," where Patrick does the same thing.
- This episode premiered nine years after the premiere of "Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy III" and "Squirrel Jokes."
- On the March 5, 2017 airing (a week before the Day of the 2017 KCAs), at the episode's ending John Cena punches the screen sending the pieces to fly down and one piece transitions to the KCA crowd. If you listen closely, the episode still ends as normal. This also happened with Shanghaied's episode ending on a week later.
- SpongeBob was driving the tanker even though he does not even have a driver's license.
- Also, SpongeBob could have been sued for driving a tanker without a driver's license.
- SpongeBob would also need a Commercial Vehicle License to drive a tanker.
- When Mr. Krabs is reading Plankton's sign for Chummy Patties, he says the word "deleterious" even though it doesn't say it on the sign. He also says "now with edible flavor" which was also not even on the sign.
- SpongeBob breathes in before sucking out the grease from the hose. However, breathing in would only make it harder to suck out the grease.
- Patrick walked into the Krusty Krab saying he wants Crispity Crunchities, (or, as he says it, Crunchity Munchities) but they are sold at the Chum Bucket. Then again, Patrick is so incredibly stupid, so he may have confused the Krusty Krab for the Chum Bucket.
- Mr. Krabs could never have put on glasses - they would have fallen off because he has no ears. Even though in "Hello Bikini Bottom!," he is seen to have ears, but they weren't very close to his eyes.
- When SpongeBob says "No it's not the end Mr. Krabs," his hat is in his hands, and when he says "Wait, did you say soaked up?" it's on his head and he points his finger. in the next slide, his finger is still pointed but his hat in his left hand again.
- Plankton says that Mr. Krabs said: "Two can play at that game." Mr. Krabs really said, "It takes two to tango."
- Multiple times in this episode, SpongeBob was shown with grease on him. At certain times, the next scene shows him without grease.
- It's possible that SpongeBob washed it off.