"Goodbye, Krabby Patty?" is a SpongeBob SquarePants episode from season nine. In this episode, SpongeBob and Mr. Krabs seek business advice from an ad executive in Mr. Krabs’ endeavor to launch a line of frozen Krabby Patties.
SpongeBob and Patrick are having a rather fun day throughout Bikini Bottom when they decide to go to Barg'N-Mart to buy their favorite ice cream, Rocky Road. Mr. Krabs then walks by and grabs a box full of frozen food called Lonely Krab, at which he marvels because of its convenience. SpongeBob sees this and gets the idea to sell frozen Krabby Patties, speculating that people will love them because of how convenient they are. Mr. Krabs hears this and decides to carry out with this idea that he humorously claims to have had before SpongeBob said it.
Mr. Krabs, along with the help of SpongeBob and his daughter Pearl, create their own well-intentioned, albeit cheaply made, advertisement for the Frozen Krabby Patty, which he presents to the businessman, Don Grouper, who is not particularly impressed with their "commercial." Being mindful of the immense potential that this idea has, he decides to help Mr. Krabs create an ad campaign to promote the Frozen Krabby patties. Grouper hypothesizes that to create a successful ad, they would need someone who could represent the target audience for this new product, which would make the commercial itself more relatable, and therefore memorable. The new face of Frozen Krabby Patties ends up being Patrick Star. After the first commercial airs, Grouper tells Mr. Krabs that he's is bound to make a lot of money, but he will make even more if he changes the recipe and adds some "filler," much to SpongeBob's dismay. He then gives Mr. Krabs and SpongeBob a tour of the factory where these new Patties are made. While touring, SpongeBob notices the workers using sand in the recipe for Patties, which Mr. Krabs tells him to ignore. Meanwhile, Mr. Krabs gets his first revenue check for the Frozen Krabby Patties, which puts him in a state of bliss. The new Patties are a monstrous success, and everyone seems to be enjoying them, despite some noticeable side effects.
Mr. Krabs fires SpongeBob from his fry cook job, and then immediately rehires him to work in the Krusty Krab museum, which documents the complete history of the Krusty Krab, complete with animatronic versions of the employees, and merchandise, which includes the Frozen Krabby Patties themselves. Mr. Krabs decides to celebrate his new fortune by eating one, but by the look on his face, the new Patty seems to taste disgusting. However, Mr. Krabs is in denial because of how well everything is going, and he decides to grin and bear it. Squidward is then fired by Mr. Krabs, but unlike SpongeBob, he doesn't get a job at the museum. Squidward takes solace in the fact that he can finally live out his dreams of becoming a ballet dancer, playing clarinet in the orchestra, and writing a mystery-thriller novel. SpongeBob is noticeably disheartened, but he decides to make the best of this situation, while Mr. Krabs swims in a pool of coins.
Patrick becomes a major celebrity due to the success of the new commercials, but because of this, his friendship with SpongeBob seems to be slowly fading. SpongeBob visits Patrick in his lavish new home but is ridiculed by the snooty new people that are associating themselves with him. SpongeBob tries to have some fun with his friend, but Patrick is pulled away for an important photo shoot, looking as sad as SpongeBob. Also, Patrick's 400th commercial is coming up soon, which makes everyone else very excited.
SpongeBob heads back to the museum, where he surprisingly finds Squidward, who wasn't successful in his quest to make his dreams come true due to being under-qualified and asks for a job at the museum. Later on, Plankton comes by and tries to take the formula, but he's confused when SpongeBob doesn't do anything to stop him. SpongeBob tells him that there is no point in stopping him because all the formulas in the restaurant are blank souvenirs. Plankton then asks for a Frozen Krabby Patty, which SpongeBob obliges to. SpongeBob tells Squidward that the patties aren't the same as before, and by eating one, he discovers that they're made of sand, which was "filler" that SpongeBob heard about before from Don Grouper. Filled with an overwhelming sense of determination, SpongeBob reads the real secret formula and cooks up a fresh one, and then runs over to Patrick. Patrick notices him, and they start running towards each other, with SpongeBob yelling to him that the new Frozen Krabby Patties are made of sand. SpongeBob then gives Patrick the one he just cooked, which rekindles his love for the sandwich. Patrick says he has a shareholders meeting in a few hours and doesn't know how he'll be able to talk positively about the new Krabby Patties because they taste so bad. SpongeBob tells Patrick that he has to listen to his heart, as well as his gut.
At the shareholders meeting, Grouper and Mr. Krabs are proud that the Frozen Krabby Patty ad campaign has been such a success, and are about to unveil their long-awaited, 400th commercial. But first, Patrick is called to make an opening speech, since he is the official mascot of the frozen sandwich. After a bit of inner conflict, Patrick reveals that the Patties are made of sand, which exposes Don Grouper as a fraud. Soon, everyone in the audience begins to violently vomit up sand, as well as everyone else in Bikini Bottom once the news is revealed to them.
The depressed Mr. Krabs wanders over to the Krusty Krab, where he's confused when he sees that it is filled with customers. He goes in the kitchen, where he sees SpongeBob and Patrick cooking the patties, and asks them why everyone is eating the patties when they know they're made of sand. SpongeBob says that the frozen patties were made of sand, but the ones they're eating now are the fresh, homemade patties that they love. Mr. Krabs asks SpongeBob how much him and Patrick are charging for the patties, which turns out to be nothing at all. Mr. Krabs then makes a deal with SpongeBob that he can be their boss again, and charge actual money for the patties. SpongeBob happily agrees, everything goes back to normal, and Mr. Krabs can continue running the Krusty Krab with a newfound appreciation for tradition, and the importance of quality food made with love.
Vincent Waller confirmed the episode on Twitter on October 9, 2015. The episode was originally scheduled to be released in the summer of 2016, but was pushed back to the winter season. Vincent Waller had also confirmed the episode would be of a 22 minute duration, a double-length episode.
‣ Sailor's Sting 28
|( ‣ ) Associated production music|
|( • ) Original music|
|( ◦ ) SpongeBob music|
- Title card
‣ Earl's Revenge - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [The opening.]
‣ Man About Town - Laurie Johnson [SpongeBob and Patrick at Barg N' Mart.]
‣ ? [Mountain climber yodels.]
‣ Man About Town - Laurie Johnson [SpongeBob and Patrick choosing an ice cream inside the freezer.]
‣ Fanfare (b) - Nicolas Carr [Mr. Krabs' eyes explode.]
‣ ? - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Commercial for frozen Krabby Patties.]
‣ Drinks Party - Marc Andre Dall'Anese [Don Grouper introduced.]
‣ Buying Spree - William Loose [Don Grouper's slogans.]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks (u) - Jeremy Wakefield ["Oh, oh, oh! I have a slogan!"/Everyone deny SpongeBob's slogan.]
‣ Drinks Party - Marc Andre Dall'Anese [Don Grouper needs someone to advertise the frozen Krabby Patties.]
‣ Box Office [#81] - Harry Bluestone, Emil Cadkin ["And I've got the perfect guy for the job!"]
‣ Groovy Baby - Ib Glindemann [Patrick's commercial of Frozen Krabby Patties.]
‣ Cocktail - Johnny Patrick ["This guy is gonna be a star!"]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks (h) - Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob is discouraged.]
‣ Unknown Track 54 - Nicolas Carr ["I do declare, Mr. Grouper..."]
‣ Solo Harp [#60.06] - Harry Bluestone ["...I believe I have a case of the vapors!"]
‣ Sloopy - Syd Dale [Don suggests changing the Krabby Patty formula.]
‣ Hot Steel and Slide Licks - Jeremy Wakefield ["Mr. Krabs, are you changing the secret Krabby Patty formula?"]
‣ Vibe Q Sting - Nicolas Carr ["But what is filler?"]
‣ Island Bar [#20] - Harry Bluestone ["What do you say we go see where the money is made?"]
‣ Skyline - Anthony Mawer [SpongeBob and Mr. Krabs visit The Krusty Factory.]
‣ Tympup (c) - Sammy Burdson, John Fiddy [Side effect.]
‣ Skyline - Anthony Mawer [Krabs gets his first check.]
‣ Glissando (h) - Richard Myhill, Skaila Kanga ["I'm rich, boy-o. Rich."]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks (v) - Jeremy Wakefield ["Yes, we can."]
‣ Cartoon Sting 5 - Construction workers at the Krusty Krab.
‣ Fates [#62] - Gregor F. Narholz ["Fired?"]
‣ Over the Waves - Andrew Pilmer [Krusty Krab Museum.]
‣ Sailors Hornpipe - Brian Peters [Customers enter at the museum.]
‣ Gorgeous Girl - Kurt Schick [Montage of Krabs' success.]
‣ Island Bar [#19] - Harry Bluestone [Patrick's new mansion.]
‣ Pizzicato Rockalong - Johnny Hawksworth [SpongeBob on the elevator.]
‣ Elevator Lounge - Billy Lincoln [SpongeBob arrives at Patrick's party.]
‣ ? [Mountain climber yodels.]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks (t) - Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob sadly leaves Patrick's mansion.]
‣ Sailor's Sting 16 - Squidward is back at the Krusty Krab Museum.
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks (a) - Jeremy Wakefield [Squidward stands behind the register.]
‣ Lopey Sailor's Jig - Michael Bolger, Nicolas Carr [Patrick rehearsing his 400th commercial.]
‣ Breezing Around - Edward White ["Excuse me, yellow box, Mr. Star is not to be disturbed."]
‣ Bobmatisme - Achille Alberto Scotti [Filming the 400th commercial.]
‣ Breezing Around - Edward White [Patrick signing contract.]
‣ Evil Mind 3 - Dick de Benedictis [Crew member eats a Frozen Krabby Patty.]
‣ Tympup (a) - Sammy Burdson, John Fiddy [Crew member's butt gets bigger.]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks (e) - Jeremy Wakefield ["Looks like you've been hitting the patties pretty hard there."]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks (h) - Jeremy Wakefield ["I miss the old Krusty Krab. I miss Patrick."]
‣ Man About Town - Stuart Crombie [Patrick leaves for eyeball waxing.]
‣ Terror by Night - Hubert Clifford ["Finally, now is my chance to strike!"/Plankton takes the secret formula.]
‣ Cartoon Sting 7 - "That'll be $1.99, please."
‣ Tales from the Swamp (c) - Ron Goodwin ["Ha ha! Yes! You fools!"]
‣ Over the Waves - Andrew Pilmer ["Shouldn't we chase after him?"]
‣ Tension Bits - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob spits out a bunch of sand.]
‣ Over the Waves - Andrew Pilmer ["Not good sand, either."]
‣ Achievements in Aviation - Anthony Mawer ["Krabby Patties aren't made with sand, they're made with love!"]
‣ A Pirate's Life for Me (a) - Ron Goodwin [SpongeBob goes into the kitchen.]
‣ Fun at the Seaside - Syd Dale [Patrick meeting with the press.]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks (w) - Jeremy Wakefield ["I can't take it anymore! Everybody out!"]
‣ Aloha Lui Lui - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield ["I wish things could go back to the way they were."]
‣ Fanfare (b) - Nicolas Carr ["Freshly grilled Krabby Patty, you and I are going to save the world!"]
‣ Tale of Love - Harry Lubin ["Patrick!/SpongeBob!"]
‣ Epic Romance - David Morse ["I thought they tasted familiar!"]
‣ Unknown Track 45 - Nicolas Carr [Shot of Krabby Patty.]
‣ Pride and Majesty - Harry Lubin ["Now that's a real Krabby Patty!"]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks (w) - Jeremy Wakefield ["Well Patrick, you're just gonna have to listen to your heart."]
‣ Beach Ball - Heinz Kretzschmar [At the shareholder meeting.]
‣ Showbiz Entrance [#65.03] - Harry Bluestone [Patrick comes on stage.]
‣ Unease - Dick Stephen Walter ["Frozen Krabby Patties are..."]
‣ Death of the Alien 2 [#40] - Harry Bluestone, Emil Cadkin [Everybody gasp.]
‣ Bikini Bottom News Theme - Nicolas Carr [News on TV.]
‣ House of Horror - William Farran [People puking up sand.]
‣ Sailor's Sting 26 - "Well, it's gone."
‣ Vibe Q Sting - Nicolas Carr ["What?"]
‣ Sailor's Sting 24 - Michael Bolger, Nicolas Carr [Krabs sees customers eating Krabby Patties at the Krusty Krab.]
‣ Daily Chores Jig - Michael Bolger, Nicolas Carr ["Well, Patrick helped."]
‣ The Oracle - David Farnon [Choir.]
‣ Dream Date - Emil Cadkin, William Loose, Phil Green ["Oh, the flavor!"]
‣ Nude Sting - Nicolas Carr [Krabs shakes his head.]
‣ Sailor's Sting 7 - Michael Bolger, Nicolas Carr [The ending]
- As of September 28, 2017, The Internet Movie Database (IMDB) gives this episode a rating of 8.7/10 based on 70 ratings by users. TV.com users give this episode a rating of 9.3/10 based on 8 votes.
- January 28, 2016: Mr. Krabs gets the check.
- Six years after "Buried in Time"
- Twelve years after "Employee of the Month"
- Sixteen years after "Help Wanted," "Christmas Who?," and "Krusty Krab Training Video"
- Fifteen years before The SpongeBob SquarePants Movie
- Fourteen years after "Breath of Fresh Squidward" and "The Original Fry Cook"
- After "Help Wanted," "Hall Monitor," "Patty Hype," "Welcome to the Chum Bucket," "Born Again Krabs," "The Original Fry Cook," "Band Geeks," "F.U.N.," "Boating School," "Procrastination," "Squilliam Returns" and "Imitation Krabs"
- One year, one month, and six days before "SB-129" (March 6, 2017)
- 16 years, one month, four weeks, and one day after "Plankton!"
- The episode's production code is 200, meaning it marks the 200th episode in the series.
- This is the third and last double-length of season 9.
- There is a book called Factory Fresh! that is based on this episode.
- The original titles/working titles of this episode were called "Factory Fresh" and "Goodbye, Krusty Krab."
- This episode is available on the UK streaming service Now TV under its original title, "Factory Fresh."
- This episode aired on President's Day (the third Monday of February 2017).
- This is the only season 9 episode to premiere in 2017.
- This was the first episode to air in 2017.
- There was a marathon of Krabby Patty-themed episodes on February 18, 2017 and February 19, 2017, called "Krabby Patty Party," in honor of this episode. The marathon included never-before-seen shorts based on this episode.
- There was also an international version called "The Golden Krabby Patty Spectacular" as part of the year-long event "SpongeBob Gold."
- This episode is the last season 9 episode in airing order.
- This episode aired in Greece and Latin America 15 years after "Snowball Effect" and "One Krabs Trash" premiered.
- This episode aired in Australia and New Zealand four days after first being aired in the United States, on February 24, 2017. However, within Australia and New Zealand, it aired on February 25, 2017, due to timezone differences.
- This episode aired in Canada as part of YTV's Golden Krabby Patty Spectacular and Brazil on February 25, 2017, five days after first being aired in the United States.
- In the Croatian dub, this episode's title is "Vidimo se, Rakburgeru!," which translates to "See you, Krabby Patty!"
- This episode's credits show the copyright to be "2016" instead of "2017." This is due to the episode being made and copyrighted in 2016 before its release in 2017.
- This is the fourth episode where Mr. Krabs fires SpongeBob from his job. The previous ones are "Karate Choppers," "Squid on Strike," and "SpongeBob You're Fired."
- It is revealed that the Barg'N-Mart has a freezer section.
- The date on Mr. Krabs' check is January 28, 2016, which means this episode takes place in 2016.
- Squidward mentions that he has been working at the Krusty Krab for 17 years, which implies he was hired in 1999, as this episode takes place in 2016.
- This is the first double-length episode to air after the release of The SpongeBob Movie: Sponge Out of Water.
- This episode is set after "Patty Hype" because the short "Krabby Patty Jingle" is set around the time of "Goodbye, Krabby Patty?" and that short contains a reference to "Patty Hype."
- This is the first episode where a smartphone is seen.
- This episode premiered 11 years after "Dunces and Dragons" premiered and two years after The SpongeBob Movie: Sponge Out of Water was released in Bulgaria, Cambodia, Norway, Poland, and Sweden.
- This episode aired in the United Kingdom 5 years after Stephen Hillenburg officially announced The SpongeBob Movie: Sponge Out of Water on February 28, 2012.
- This episode premiered in Canada and Brazil two years after "License to Milkshake" premiered in Germany and Poland.
- This is the first appearance of SpongeBob's jellyfishing glasses since "Planet of the Jellyfish."
- The time card "Later..." is a different-colored version of the title card of "Naughty Nautical Neighbors."
- This episode is somewhat similar to "Selling Out," as both episodes involve customers enjoying a new Krabby Patty variation only to discover that they have an effective filler ingredient.
- Mr. Krabs swimming in the pool of coins is an homage to Scrooge McDuck from DuckTales.
- One of the paintings in Patrick's new home is a parody of The Scream.
- The 400th Krusty Krab commercial is a reference to this episode's number as a segment, in the entire series.
- The filler/sand used in Frozen Krabby Patties may be a reference to McDonald's using ammonium hydroxide to sanitize beef.
- Squidward says he’s going to publish his novel, Dial D For Doily, a reference to the murder mystery novel Dial M for Murder.
- The sign at the factory reads "Day without an accident." However, when the number changes from 1 to 0, it does not change to "Days without an accident," creating a grammar error.
- When the Krusty Krab Museum was first established, the Plankton robot says "Ow. Curses. Foiled again." Later, he only says "Curses. Foiled again."
- When Hogan Düp is mentioned, the captions incorrectly display it as "HØGAN DUEP". The "Ø" character does not display correctly on older TVs that do not support the extended closed caption character set.
- The robot Mr. Krabs moves his body at the beginning. Later, only his arms move.
- The Squidward robot changes position throughout the episode.
- After SpongeBob gives his idea about frozen Krabby Patties to Mr. Krabs, his tie is white for the rest of the scene.
- SpongeBob being called and mistaken for a "Yellow Box"
- Mr. Krabs fainting in Don Grouper's arms
SpongeBob SquarePants - "Goodbye, Krabby Patty?" Official Teaser 1
SpongeBob SquarePants - "Goodbye, Krabby Patty?" Official Teaser 2
SpongeBob SquarePants - "Goodbye, Krabby Patty?" Official Teaser 3
SpongeBob SquarePants - "Goodbye, Krabby Patty?" Official Teaser 4
SpongeBob Squarepants Official Super Trailer 'Goodbye, Krabby Patty?' Nick
SpongeBob SquarePants Official Super Trailer 2 'Goodbye, Krabby Patty?'
SpongeBob SquarePants Official Super Trailer 2 'Goodbye, Krabby Patty?' Text Version
SpongeBob SquarePants - "Goodbye, Krabby Patty?" Promo 1 (February 2017)
SpongeBob SquarePants - "Goodbye, Krabby Patty?" Promo 2 (February 2017)
SpongeBob SquarePants - "Goodbye, Krabby Patty?" Promo 3 (February 2017)
SpongeBob SquarePants - "Goodbye, Krabby Patty?" Promo 4 (February 2017)
SpongeBob SquarePants - "Goodbye, Krabby Patty?" Promo 5 (February 2017)
SpongeBob SquarePants "Goodbye, Krabby Patty?" YTV promo
The Krusty Krab Frozen Krabby Patty Commercial
SpongeBob SquarePants 'I Love Krabby Patties' Ultimate Love Song Music Video Nick
SpongeBob SquarePants - Krabby Patty Museum Nickelodeon