"Good Neighbors" is a SpongeBob SquarePants episode from season four. In this episode, SpongeBob and Patrick annoy Squidward with their "Good Neighbor Club".
SpongeBob wakes up Squidward for work one morning, trying to be a good neighbor, but Squidward angrily tells him that it is Sunday and that a good neighbor does not bother him on Sunday. SpongeBob believes that Squidward is grouchy because he has not gotten his Sunday Paper, and tries to give it to him. He bumps into Patrick who is startled by the "newspaper monster." Upon hearing of the monster, SpongeBob and Patrick start to panic and scatter the paper into the air as they run around, causing Squidward to yell angrily again.
Squidward begins his Sunday relaxation when SpongeBob and Patrick suddenly appear behind him wearing cultist-style fezzes and initiate him as president of the Secret Royal Order of the Good Neighbor Lodge, which SpongeBob and Patrick have just made up. Squidward tells SpongeBob and Patrick to paint all of the tree leaves around town with polka dots to get rid of SpongeBob and Patrick. Outside, SpongeBob absorbs a can of red paint; Patrick pulls his arm like a lever, causing him to shoot specks of paint onto all the trees. At noon, SpongeBob and Patrick return to Squidward to tell him that they are almost done with their task, and SpongeBob accidentally shoots paint on Squidward's face and in his eyes. Squidward runs outside, screaming in pain, and is almost hit by a car that Debbie Rechid and Ralph turn out to be driving. They think that he is sick with chicken pox and take him to the hospital.
Later, SpongeBob and Patrick hold a club meeting and notice that Squidward is gone. They go inside his house to look for him when a foot massager arrives to give Squidward a pedicure. When Squidward comes home, he finds SpongeBob and Patrick getting a pedicure to make sure that he "really is a certified foot masseur and not some sort of assassin." Squidward pushes them aside and angrily demands the man to massage his feet, but he tells him that his hour is over and leaves. Furious, he angrily makes SpongeBob and Patrick leave, telling them never to bother him again.
Unable to understand that Squidward hates them, SpongeBob thinks Squidward was trying to tell them something. Upon hearing this, Squidward literally breaks his head through the front door and angrily screams to them that they are the worst neighbors in history and to stop calling him president before taking their fezzes and furiously stomping them onto the ground. Inside his house, Squidward sees his Sunday paper in a messy pile on the floor with a note from SpongeBob presenting it to him. Furious about this, he kicks the paper until he sees an ad in the newspaper for a high-tech security system, which he gets and installs into his house. Squidward believes that the security will stop SpongeBob and Patrick from entering his house, but they suddenly come up behind him with an apology cake and their fezzes back on. Squidward demands the security system to destroy them, but the machine says, "No threat detected". Squidward then punches the machine in frustration, and the machine says, "Threat detected". When the apology cake falls on top of the machine, it then begins malfunctioning and declares a "code red" situation, literally kicking Squidward out of the building. The house then grows arms and legs and walks away with SpongeBob and Patrick still inside. Squidward then realizes that they can now no longer bother him and tells himself "That he’s going to relax even if it kills him."
Meanwhile, Squidward's house rampages through downtown Bikini Bottom and SpongeBob and Patrick turn the security system off just as the house returns to its original position, causing it to fall on top of Squidward. His Sunday relaxation time is over, he calmly has SpongeBob and Patrick leave so he can get ready for work the next day. However, he finds an angry mob outside of his house, and a man gives him a jury summon that has him doing community service every Sunday for the rest of his life to pay off for the damages to the city. SpongeBob and Patrick each get a jury summon as well. They look forward to cleaning up Bikini Bottom together and say that they will see him again next Sunday, which makes Squidward twitch nervously.
‣ Earl's Revenge
|( ‣ ) Associated production music|
|( • ) Original music|
|( ◦ ) SpongeBob music|
- Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Title card]
‣ Aloha Oe - Hans Haider, Queen Lili'uokalani [The opening]
‣ SpongeBob Closing Theme - Steve Belfer, Nicolas Carr ["Good morning, Squidward!"]
‣ Vibe Q Sting - Nicolas Carr ["Sunday?"]
‣ Seaweed - Steve Belfer [Sunday papers]
‣ Dramatic Cue (a) - Ronald Hanmer ["Newspaper monster!"]
‣ Fully Fashioned - George French [Squidward's Sunday relaxation kit]
‣ ? [SpongeBob and Patrick wearing fezzes]
‣ Pell-Mell - Sam Spence [Painting tree leaves]
‣ Comic Walk - Sidney Torch ["Oh, no, it's already noon!"]
‣ Dramatic Cue (b) - Ronald Hanmer [Paint sprayed in Squidward's face]
‣ Steel Sting (a) - Jeremy Wakefield [Squidward taken to hospital]
‣ Lap Steel - Nicolas Carr [Good Neighbor Lodge meeting]
‣ ? [Patrick is asleep.]
‣ Vibe Sting - Nicolas Carr ["Squidward?"]
‣ Finders Creepers - Paddy Kingsland [SpongeBob and Patrick looking for Squidward]
‣ Unknown Track 41 - "We are sworn to protect our presidente from danger."
‣ Spongeburglar - Nicolas Carr [Squidward comes home]
‣ Aloha - Dick Stephen Walter [Foot massage]
‣ Lonely Heart's Club (a) - David Bell, Otto Sieben [Squidward angrily kicks SpongeBob and Patrick out]
‣ Harp Ding - Nicolas Carr ["Hello...?"]
‣ Enter the Villain - Chris Payne, Paul Rogers [Security system ad]
‣ Wooden Bear - Gil Flat, Tony Tape, Florian Voelxen [Apology cake]
‣ Red Alert [#8] - Harry Bluestone, Emil Cadkin [Security system zaps Squidward]
‣ House of Horror - William Farran [Squidward's house grows arms and legs]
‣ Hawaiian Cocktail - Richard Myhill ["I only have half an hour of me-time left..."]
‣ House of Horror - William Farran [Squidward's house destroying the neighborhood]
‣ Gator - Steve Belfer [The ending]
- As of July 25, 2017, The Internet Movie Database (IMDB) gives this episode a rating of 7.8/10 based on 213 ratings by users. TV.com users give this episode a rating of 7.3/10 based on 259 votes.
- 8:00 AM: SpongeBob wakes up
- 9:00 AM: Squidward begins his Sunday relaxation
- 9:30 AM: SpongeBob and Patrick begin painting trees polka dots
- 12:00 PM: Squidward is taken to the hospital
- 3:55 PM: SpongeBob and Patrick hold a club meeting
- 4:00 PM: SpongeBob and Patrick get The Sunday Special
- 5:00 PM: Squidward makes SpongeBob and Patrick leave
- 5:05 PM: Squidward orders the Security System
- 7:20 PM: SpongeBob and Patrick present Squidward with an apology cake
- 7:30 PM: Squidward's house begins attacking Bikini Bottom
- 8:00 PM: The summoner gives Squidward his community service summons.
- After "Help Wanted" and "House Sittin' For Sandy"
- Before "SB-129," "Selling Out," and "Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy V"
- This episode is similar to the comic strip titled "House of Squidward." In the comic, Squidward's house has come to life and wrecks Bikini Bottom. However, Squidward's house did not have any legs.
- Patrick is seen sleeping on a hard rock when he is usually seen sleeping in his sand bed.
- Also, SpongeBob usually sleeps with his clothes off, but in this episode, he sleeps with them on.
- SpongeBob, Patrick, and Squidward do not appear doing community service in later episodes that take place on Sunday.
- This is the first episode to be written by one person.
- This is the last episode to be written by Mike Bell.
- This episode likely takes place during the summer, as it shows to be light at 8:00 at night even though it was shown to be dark when Squidward's house attacks the town.
- The title card as on the top-left a spray of drops of orange liquid.
- When Squidward tells SpongeBob to go paint the tree polka dot, it is a reference to Alice in Wonderland, where the cards paint the tree.
- When SpongeBob and Patrick make Squidward the president of the lodge, they say, "By the All-Seeing Eye, ye are worthy, we are not." This is a reference to the All-Seeing Eye on the Dollar Bill, which many mistakenly believe to be Illuminati symbolism. The real symbol is the owl of Minerva.
- The name of SpongeBob and Patrick's lodge (The Secret Royal Order of the Good Neighbor Lodge) is a possible reference to the Masons.
- Squidward's house being a giant robot and immortal could be a reference to MechaGodzilla.
- At one point (intentionally), the title card is based on the same episode used on Davey and Goliath.
- Squidward prepares to eat Bon-Bons while watching TV. This might be a reference to Married... with Children where Peg Bundy happens to do the same thing.
- In the Season 4 Volume 1 and Where's Gary? DVDs, the title of the episode is misspelled as "Good Neighbor."
- When Squidward attempts to relax and SpongeBob and Patrick show up, they are in the living room. After SpongeBob and Patrick finish saying "ooh" and bow to Squidward, they are in the kitchen.
- When Squidward hears SpongeBob's alarm clock go off, SpongeBob's pathway is missing.
- When Squidward throws SpongeBob out, he is seen wearing his regular clothes, but in the next shot, he is seen wearing his pajamas again.
- When Squidward pushes SpongeBob outside to go paint the leaves on the trees, the door opens into the house. When SpongeBob reappears and says "See you later Squidward!," the door opens outside.
- Squidward puts the flower on the center of the coffee table, but after he sprays it, it is near the edge.
- Squidward is kicked far away from the position of his house, but when it returns and crushes him, he is at the house's original position. When Squidward kicks SpongeBob out of his house, he slams the door in his face. However, when they are out of the house, they are farther away from the door.
- In the shot where the Bikini Bottomites surround Squidward and his house, there is no front tire on the police car on the left.
- Before SpongeBob and Patrick say "ooh," the pillow and phone are both on the couch. However, in the next shot of the couch, both are gone.
- When Patrick puts paint in SpongeBob's holes, he becomes rectangular. After Patrick throws the can of paint away and hits a citizen riding a bicycle, SpongeBob is square again.
- Squidward has a watch, but in the next scene, it disappears.
- When SpongeBob and Patrick first leave Squidward's house after he screams at them for ruining his day, their fezzes are on the ground. In the next shot, the fezzes are gone.