"The Gift of Gum" is a SpongeBob SquarePants episode from season four. In this episode, Patrick gives SpongeBob a glob of gum for Best Friends Day.
On "Best Friends Day
," Patrick gives SpongeBob an enormous wad of used gum he has amassed over his entire lifetime (fondly referred to as "Gummy"), and SpongeBob finds it a better gift than his own (a robotic butler). However, when he takes it inside, he realizes how disgusting it is, making him throw up in his mouth when he smelled the moldy pizza on Gummy, and it even starts to scare him, with a pair of underpants crawling out of the gum and saying in a demonic voice, "You're not Patrick!" First, SpongeBob tries to throw it away, but Patrick catches him in doing so, and he says that he was dressing it up with the garbage can. Later, SpongeBob
tries to bury Gummy, but Patrick catches him again, and he says that he dug the hole to be able to look at Gummy from below. Patrick insists that it must be displayed properly, and places it above SpongeBob's doorway. SpongeBob next tries to dispose of it in the night, and in the process frees several fish who were literally trapped inside it. He tries to pull Gummy off of his house, and fails, destroying the ball and getting stuck to it in the process.
The next day, Sandy visits SpongeBob's house to see it covered in the sticky remains of Gummy, with SpongeBob hanging above his doorway. She tries to free him by lassoing a piece of Gummy onto a passing truck, which is almost able to pull it away, but is ultimately pulled in by it, hitting SpongeBob's house and causing the gum to explode, completely covering the houses of SpongeBob, Squidward and Patrick, and trapping Squidward and Sandy as well. Patrick then appears, and SpongeBob tells him he can have Gummy back. Patrick then wolfs down all of the gum making him super-morbidly obese, freeing SpongeBob, his friends and their houses. However, he then hiccups a massive bubble, which explodes and covers the whole town in gum and Patrick yells that this is the Best Friends Day ever.
|( ‣ ) Associated production music|
|( • ) Original music|
|( ◦ ) SpongeBob music|
‣ Kalua Jubilee - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [title card]
‣ Olympus (b) - Richard A. Harvey [opening]
‣ Timpani Logo [#50] - Alan Bell, Roger Dexter, Martyn David [opening]
‣ Gator - Steve Belfer [Patrick rolling a giant ball of gum to SpongeBob's house]
‣ Brass Flourish (k) - Barrie Hingley ["This chewing gum is my most beloved possession."]
‣ Whisper from the Past [#64] - Gregor F. Narholz [SpongeBob cries]
‣ Goofy Conversation - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony [robot servant]
‣ The Promised Land - David Farnon [SpongeBob welcomes Gummy into his home]
‣ Steel Sting - Jeremy Wakefield ["You sure are a big boy, aren't you?"]
‣ Harp Ding - Nicolas Carr ["I know how to handle this."]
‣ Crime Squad - John Cameron [karate]
‣ Steel Licks - Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob crawls out]
‣ Tension Bits - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield ["With your dirty sock, used toothbrush..."]
‣ Dramatic Cue (h) - Ronald Hanmer ["Get a hold of yourself, SpongeBob."]
‣ Tomfoolery - David Snell [SpongeBob throwing Gummy away]
‣ Mission Improbable - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony [SpongeBob digging a hole]
‣ Steel Licks (c) - Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob deflates]
‣ Seaweed - Steve Belfer [Patrick puts Gummy above SpongeBob's front door]
‣ Hawaiian Cocktail - Richard Myhill ["Oh, what am I gonna do, Gary?"]
‣ Vibe Sting - Nicolas Carr [SpongeBob gets an idea]
‣ Spongeburglar - Nicolas Carr [SpongeBob dressed as a burglar]
‣ Hercule Poirot - Gerhard Trede [that night]
‣ Vibe Sting - Nicolas Carr ["Who are you?"]
‣ Holy Grail - Larry Hochman ["Oh, thank Neptune!"]
‣ City Heat - Gerhard Trede [SpongeBob tries to pull Gummy off his house]
‣ Vibe Q Sting - Nicolas Carr [Sandy steps in gum]
‣ Towerstreet 17 [#41] - Gerhard Narholz [SpongeBob's house covered in gum]
‣ Dramatic Cue (h) - Ronald Hanmer [Sandy gasps]
‣ Stepping into Danger - Mike Sunderland [Sandy tries to free SpongeBob]
‣ Grass Skirt Chase - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [truck drives by]
‣ Runaway Train - Harry Bluestone, Emil Cadkin ["Hang on tight, SpongeBob!"]
‣ Comic Walk - Sidney Torch [Squidward and Sandy get stuck]
‣ Caliope Carousel - Roger Roger ["It's like a gummy wonderland!"]
‣ Goofy Conversation - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony [robot gives Patrick a massage]
‣ Pua Paoakalani (b) - Kapono Beamer, Queen Lili'uokalani ["Patrick, do you miss your Gummy?"]
‣ Hawaiian Adventures SpongeBob Theme - Jeremy Wakefield, Sage Guyton [Patrick eating the gum]
‣ Harp Gliss 1 - Otto Sieben [harp music]
‣ Bubble Tension - Nicolas Carr [Patrick hiccupping]
‣ Cream Pie - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [ending]
- As of August 12, 2016, The Internet Movie Database (IMDB) gives this episode a rating of 7.1/10 based on 195 ratings by users. TV.com users give this episode a rating of 6.2/10 based on 194 votes.
- This episode aired in Germany on December 23, 2006, before it aired in the USA.
- This is one of the episodes that aired on the "Patrick for President" marathon, along with "Driven to Tears," "Rule of Dumb," "The Pink Purloiner," "Rise and Shine," "Waiting," and "Sing a Song of Patrick.
- The truck driver's steering wheel is on the right side, meaning it is a foreign car.
- This is the second episode where Sandy says "That's crazy talk," the first being "I Had an Accident."
- This is the last episode written by Erik Wiese.
- The Season 4 Volume 2 and The Complete Fourth Season DVD covers are based on this episode. The Season 4 Volume 2 DVD features Plankton on the backside, being stuck in the gum. However, he does not appear in this episode.
- Along with "Best Day Ever," this episode did not air in the Netherlands until May 9, 2010. Although, the rest of season four had already aired in the Netherlands back in 2006.
- This episode premiered in the Netherlands on Rosario Dawson's 31st birthday.
- The German title, "Gummilein," is also to the German name of Gummy.
- In the Croatian dub, the episode name is "Žvaka" or "Gum."
- This episode was released on the Season 4 Volume 2, DVD box set before it aired on TV in the USA.
- The name of this episode is a possible reference to either "The Gift of the Magi," a short story written by O. Henry, or the phrase "the gift of gab."
- Robo 2.1 is similar to C-3PO from the Star Wars films, as he has a similar voice and said a similar phrase to C-3PO's when introduced in the episode.
- He also slightly resembles R2-D2.
- The concept of this episode is similar to that of the 2004 video game Katamari Damacy, in which a ball gets bigger by having more things stuck on it.
- At the end, during the cleaning of the gum, Patrick eats some of the gum like Pac-Man.
- Patrick destroys his rock to get Gummy out to SpongeBob. The next time there is an outside scene, his rock is back to the way it was.
- During the opening shot (including near the ending), the windows of SpongeBob's house and the chimneys are on the wrong side.
- When SpongeBob shows his present to Patrick, the latter's mouth disappears as the camera pans over to Robo 2.1.
- When Patrick gets ready to go home near the beginning, Gummy is a lot smaller than usual.
- When SpongeBob puts Gummy away in the rubbish bin, the pizza and other dirty things disappear.
- SpongeBob drives a bulldozer in this episode, but he doesn't have a driver's license and still doesn't know how to drive.
- When SpongeBob raids his closet, a baseball lands on the floor near Gary and then it disappears in a few seconds.
- Before SpongeBob "steals" Gummy, he looks over to Patrick's rock and Squidward's house next door is nowhere in sight.
- After Gummy explodes onto SpongeBob's house, all of the trash stuck to it disappears.
- When SpongeBob "steals" Gummy and gets trapped, he is seen wearing a burglar outfit. However, when Sandy sees him trapped, he is seen wearing his normal clothes.
- After Sandy gets her hand stuck in the gum, she takes her hand back out when she sees the truck passing by, as if her hand was never stuck in the first place.
- Some notes of the APM track Stepping into Danger are cut off when Sandy frees SpongeBob.
- The truck driver calls his truck "Old Blue" even though it's red.
- When everything gets covered in gum, the flower on Sandy's air helmet swaps sides.
- Before SpongeBob gives Gummy back to Patrick, he tells him that it's still Best Friends Day. However, the episode takes place over two days. This error is further reinforced by SpongeBob saying "Well, it's still Best Friend's Day..." close to the end of the episode.
- When Patrick cleans the gum, SpongeBob's house's windows are backwards.
- Right after Gummy explodes, his house is partly covered in Gummy, but when Squidward's house attaches itself to SpongeBob's, his house is completely covered in Gummy.