"Ghoul Fools" is a SpongeBob SquarePants episode from season eight. In this episode, SpongeBob and Patrick find a houseboat haunted by ghost pirates.
SpongeBob and Patrick are lying on the ground and watch the clouds until they see a haunted houseboat crashing to ground near them. Patrick wants to check it out but SpongeBob says that it looks dangerous. Patrick soon convinces SpongeBob to come with him, so the friends went to go check it out. Patrick thinks the boat is lame, but SpongeBob thinks it is real. SpongeBob looks at a painting of flowers that is in the boat and states that it is pretty but soon the flowers turn into snakes and hiss at SpongeBob which makes him panic.
Then, they meet Lord Poltergeist (who Patrick thinks is a robot that serves pizza). Lord Poltergeist says that he will sing a sea shanty to make SpongeBob and Patrick believe he is a real ghost. At the end of the song, Patrick says he wants pizza so Lord Poltergeist gives him pizza that has anchovies on it which scares them out of their wits. This causes them to acknowledge him as a real ghost, even causing a scared Patrick to be willing to sacrifice SpongeBob to save himself while Lord Poltergeist sarcastically remarks "That's a pretty nice friend, you got there". SpongeBob asks why Lord Poltergeist is in Bikini Bottom and it is because there is a broken head gasket. Lord Poltergeist takes their souls but gives SpongeBob a doubloon to buy a new head gasket. He says that if they do not return with a new head gasket in 24 hours, their souls will be gone forever.
SpongeBob and Patrick run to the Krusty Krab and tell the customers about the ghosts, though their freaked behavior causes the customers to flee. Mr. Krabs orders SpongeBob to calm down as he wants to know what is with the chaos. SpongeBob tells Mr. Krabs about how Lord Poltergeist stole their souls and gave them a doubloon to buy a head gasket. Mr. Krabs takes the doubloon and takes a head gasket from a boat that is outside the Krusty Krab. Mr. Krabs forces Squidward to come along with them after promising him a break room if he does come along and steal the ghost's treasure. Sandy then appears with ghost equipment, claiming she was looking for "milkshake gremlins" and wants to catch some ghosts.
The five go back to the boat where Lord Poltergeist was seen. Mr. Krabs steals the doubloons and hands bags of them to Squidward and Patrick. Mr. Krabs then sees a doubloon that is stuck to the bottom of the chest. He tries to pull it out but ends up setting off a trap which causes Lord Poltergeist to appear. SpongeBob gives him the head gasket and the lord gives SpongeBob and Patrick orange soda instead of their souls and reveals that he never took their souls in the first place. He sucks Mr. Krabs, Squidward and Patrick (who are trying to escape with the gold) into a void, and shows them their greatest fears.
First, Mr. Krabs has to use the restroom and finds a portable bathroom, but to use it, he must pay one doubloon. Next, Patrick wishes for a doughnut and then a talking one comes up on his head that Patrick annoys and the doughnut yells at him to pick something already. Patrick wishes for a doughnut with sprinkles, then chocolate, then a bagel, then a stack of pancakes, until he decides to go back to a plain doughnut. The doughnut screams at the fact that it must deal with Patrick for eternity as the starfish oblivious to the fact that he had outsmarted his worst nightmare, something Lord Poltergeist intended to be impossible. He then asks for a Krabby Patty, and then another plain doughnut, much to the doughnut's annoyance. Finally, Squidward encounters a giant SpongeBob, which makes him scream. Sandy sucks the three back into her ghost hunting equipment. Then, Mr. Krabs and Lord Poltergeist fight for the chest of doubloons. They fling it into the air and SpongeBob catches it and sees a "Property of the Flying Dutchman" stamp at the bottom of the chest followed by a phone number. The Flying Dutchman comes by to reclaim his doubloons (but ends up being tricked by Lord Poltergeist that they were looking for him to give him back the gold). Lord Poltergeist runs away until the boat breaks down.
Finally, the Flying Dutchman turns into a torpedo that makes a huge void that sucks everyone inside. The episode finishes with the Krusty Krab in the void with new workers and customers. When SpongeBob tells everyone to hold on to something, he tells Giant Demonic SpongeBob from the void to flip the restaurant. He does so, and then his face turns into The Flying Dutchman's and he laughs evilly.
‣ The Haunted Carnival
|( ‣ ) Associated production music|
|( • ) Original music|
|( ◦ ) SpongeBob music|
- Eban Schletter [title card]
‣ Undertow - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [opening]
‣ Sailor's Sting 9 - Michael Bolger, Nicolas Carr [Krabs-shaped cloud]
‣ Happy Haunting Hosts - Eban Schletter [flying houseboat appears]
‣ Deep Shadows - Eban Schletter ["I don't know, Patrick."]
‣ ? ["Wow, look at this place!"]
‣ ? - Eban Schletter [SpongeBob enters the houseboat]
‣ Some Things To Know About Monsters - Eban Schletter [flowers turn into snakes]
‣ ? ["Even the spiders are fake."]
‣ Some Things To Know About Monsters - Eban Schletter [giant hand grabs SpongeBob]
‣ Unknown Track 65 - organ music as ghost captain is introduced
‣ Ghostly Scoundrel - Eban Schletter [Patrick looks in captain's mouth]
‣ Hot Steel and Slide Licks - Jeremy Wakefield ["His bad breath is incredible."]
‣ Ghostly Scoundrel - Eban Schletter ["His hair is very authentic too."]
‣ I've Created a Monster - Eban Schletter ["Pizza parlors?! Arrgh..."]
‣ Harp Ding - Nicolas Carr [shot of coin]
‣ Unknown Track 67 - Eban Schletter ["So you want me to sing you a shanty, eh?"]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks (b) - Jeremy Wakefield ["This show's gonna be so awesome."]
• We're the Ghouls of the Briny Deep - Luke Brookshier, Eban Schletter
‣ Down in Davy Jones' Locker - Nicolas Carr ["Do you believe we're real ghosts now?"]
‣ Drama Link (c) - Hubert Clifford ["Pizza? I'll give you pizza."]
‣ Vibe Sting - Nicolas Carr [pizza box opens]
‣ Drama Link (b) - Hubert Clifford [live anchovies on pizza]
‣ ? [pizza box disappears]
‣ Out of the Crypt - Harry Lubin [SpongeBob and Patrick bow before the captain]
‣ Deep Shadows - Eban Schletter ["Our engine room broke down."]
‣ Out of the Crypt - Harry Lubin ["Yes, you."]
‣ Gothic Adventure - Mark Cousins, Adam Saunders [captain takes SpongeBob and Patrick's souls]
‣ Unknown Track 66 - captain gives SpongeBob a doubloon
‣ Ghostly Scoundrel - Eban Schletter [captain checks his calendar]
‣ Dramatic Impact 6 - Ivor Slaney ["...forever!"]
‣ Ghostly Scoundrel - Eban Schletter ["Can we run screaming in horror from your ship now?"]
‣ The Creature (a) - Gregor F. Narholz [SpongeBob and Patrick run screaming/SpongeBob and Patrick continue running and screaming.]
‣ Unknown Track 10 - Nicolas Carr [ice cream]
‣ The Creature (a) - Gregor F. Narholz [SpongeBob and Patrick run screaming to the Krusty Krab.]
‣ Hot Steel and Slide Licks - Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob, Patrick run into the Krusty Krab doors]
‣ Sword Fight - Harry Bluestone, Emil Cadkin ["Ghost! Ghost! Haunted houseboat!"]
‣ From the Dead - Ronald Hanmer [customers run away]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks (n) - Jeremy Wakefield ["Come back!"]
‣ Cellar Search - Philippe Pares ["Mr. Krabs, it was awful!"]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks (u) - Jeremy Wakefield [Krabs lets go of Patrick's tongue]
‣ Cellar Search - Philippe Pares ["You gotta help us, Mr. Krabs!"]
‣ Sailor's Sting 8 - Michael Bolger, Nicolas Carr ["Did you say... doubloon?"]
‣ Classic Horror Sting - Eban Schletter [Sandy appears]
‣ Sailor's Sting 8 - Michael Bolger, Nicolas Carr ["Great, then it's settled."]
‣ Shop-O-Rama - Nicolas Carr, Fabian Fernandez [Squidward's daydream]
‣ Sailor's Sting 13 - Michael Bolger, Nicolas Carr ["Super!"]
‣ Unknown Track 65 - "So, here it is."
‣ A Pirate's Life for Me (a) - Ron Goodwin [treasure chest]
‣ Ghostly Presence - Harry Lubin ["That gold probably has ghost germs all over it."]
‣ Sailor's Sting 13 - Michael Bolger, Nicolas Carr ["Heads up, Squidward!"]
‣ Vibe Sting - Nicolas Carr ["Looks like I missed one."]
‣ Tension Bits - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Krabs tries to take the last doubloon]
‣ Straight from Hell - Gregor F. Narholz [ghost captain reappears]
‣ Unknown Track 67 - Eban Schletter [SpongeBob gives captain the gasket]
‣ Ghostly Scoundrel - Eban Schletter ["Those weren't your souls."]
‣ Frightmare - Magnum Opus ["ME GOLD!"]
‣ Death Clock (e) - Dick de Benedictis ["So this is limbo."]
‣ ? ["Gotta use the can."]
‣ Death Clock (h) - Dick de Benedictis ["NO!!!"]
‣ Death Clock (e) - Dick de Benedictis ["Wow, this void sure is relaxing."]
‣ ? [donut appears on Patrick's head]
‣ Vibe Sting - Nicolas Carr ["Hmm?"]
‣ The Donut Dilemma - Nicolas Carr ["Hey, stupid, don't you wanna eat me?"]
‣ Evil Mind 3 - Dick de Benedictis [donut screams]
‣ Death Clock (e) - Dick de Benedictis ["Oh, great."]
‣ Death Clock (b) - Dick de Benedictis ["Hi, neighbor."]
‣ Unknown Track 65 - captain laughs
‣ Terror Hunt - Phil Green ["Hey, corpse breath!"]
‣ Death and Destruction 1 - Harry Bluestone, Emil Cadkin [Sandy activates the ghost catcher]
‣ Expectant Stab [#28] - Harry Bluestone, Emil Cadkin [explosion]
‣ Ghostly Scoundrel - Eban Schletter ["Not so fast!"]
‣ Sailor's Sting 13 - Michael Bolger, Nicolas Carr ["Hey, you thieving bilge rat!"]
‣ Comic Capers (b) - Charlie Brissette, Norman Mamey [Krabs and captain fight over the gold]
‣ Vibe Q Sting - Nicolas Carr [Property of the Flying Dutchman]
‣ ? ["You ain't afraid he's gonna want it back?"]
‣ Malleus Mallificarum (a) - Dave Hewson [Flying Dutchman appears]
‣ ? ["How did he track us down?"]
‣ Surrender 7 - Harry Bluestone, Emil Cadkin ["Why, you scurvy little scum scrubber!"]
‣ Spooks Appear 1 - Harry Lubin [everyone comes outside]
‣ ? ["So, it be me own first mate who stole me gold!"]
‣ Botany Bay - Michael Bolger, Nicolas Carr ["We just went out to get pizza."]
‣ Flight of the Witches - Cris Velasco [captain runs over Dutchman]
‣ Halloween Antics A - Kevin Riepl [Dutchman follows captain]
‣ Day of Reckoning - Andrew James Blaney ["Don't go anywhere, kiddies."]
‣ Footsteps of Horror - W. Merrick Farran [Dutchman turns into a torpedo]
‣ Sailor's Sting 4 - Michael Bolger, Nicolas Carr [ending]
|| I can turn into a skyscraper!
This section is too short. You can help the Encyclopedia SpongeBobia by expanding
- October 1, 2, or 3, 2000, 2006, 2017, 2023, or 2028
- After "Help Wanted," "Tea at the Treedome," "Shanghaied," and "Scaredy Pants"
- After "SB-129" (if this takes place in October 2017)
- The title card is similar to "Big Sister Sam," except it is in black and white.
- This is the first episode of the series since "One Krabs Trash" with the 1986 Paramount logo, but with the 2010 Viacom byline. This variant was taken from the movie Paranormal Activity 3 which came out around the same time of this episode in 2011.
- This is the first episode to use the Hot Steel and Slide Licks which replaced the original Steel Sting's.
- This is the second episode where a ghost calls Patrick "Pink One" and SpongeBob "Square One." The first was "Shanghaied."
- This is the second time a donut talks. The first instance was in "The Donut of Shame."
- Ironically, Patrick is supposed to be getting eternally punished, but the donut is the one being punished as Patrick is bored easily by the donut changing forms.
- This is the second episode where a character's name wasn't said in the episode, but was revealed in the credits. In this episode, it was Lord Poltergeist. The first time was Squidette from "Squidville."
- This is the third time someone called Sandy a "Chipmunk," the first time being in "Someone's in the Kitchen with Sandy" and the second being "The Abrasive Side."
- This is the fourth episode to show an atomic explosion, the first being "Dying for Pie," the second being "The Krusty Plate," and the third being "Frozen Face-Off." The next episode to use an atomic explosion is "Teacher's Pests."
- However, the one in this episode is different than the one in the other episodes.
- This is the fourth time Mr. Krabs appears as a real crab, his three previous appearances as a real crab are "Pressure," "Wishing You Well," "Rodeo Daze."
- This is one of the few times that Patrick had a donut that he didn't eat.
- No one said Lord Poltergeist's name in the episode. Everyone called him "The Ghost Pirate," "Captain," or "Sir." His name is revealed in the end credits.
- The song We're the Ghouls of the Briny Deep was used again in the episode "Séance Shméance."
- The Cat-o-nine-tails (a cat with nine tails mentioned in the song) is named after the punishment device called the "cat of nine tails" used in the sailing industry.
- The Ghoul working the engine room was the only one of Lord Poltergeist's crew members who talked after singing the song.
- Running Gag: In the scene with Patrick Star and the donut, Patrick always changes the flavor of the donut.
- Squidward breaks the fourth wall by saying "I guess this is the part where I start screaming."
- Lord Poltergeist's calendar said "October" which means this episode took place in that month.
- Lord Poltergeist also points to October 5th when he says, "Thursday," meaning that this episode takes place on either October 1st, 2nd, or 3rd. It cannot take place on October 4th because he would have said, "Three weeks from tomorrow."
- Because Lord Poltergeist shows that October 5th is on a Thursday, that means this episode takes place in 2000, 2006, 2017, 2023, or 2028.
- There is a book based on this episode titled "Haunted Houseboat."
- This episode premiered eight years after Battle for Bikini Bottom was released, seven years after Nicktoons Movin' was released, and six years after Lights, Camera, Pants! was released and "Patrick SmartPants" premiered.
- This episode premiered in Canada twelve years after the premiere of "Something Smells" and "Bossy Boots," seven years after Nicktoons Unite! was released, and three years after SpongeBob's Truth or Square was released.
- This episode reveals that Patrick isn't afraid of fake spiders.
- This episode reveals Patrick is willing to sacrifice SpongeBob to save his own life.
- This episode reveals Mr. Krabs does not believe in germs on money, which most likely explains why he bathes in money in many episodes.
- This episode has air once in Greek and since then it has been banned. It is unknown why the episode was banned.
- When Patrick calls Lord Poltergeist "a singing robotic puppet" from "those pizza joints with the singing animated robots," he is referring to Chuck E. Cheese's restaurants.
- The Cat-o-nine-tails is similar to the Pokémon Ninetales.
- The cat-o-nine-tails bears a resemblance to the Kitsune of Japanese folklore. however, Kitsune is a fox, not a cat.
- When Squidward says "boring, representational art," the painting he's pointing at is a ghost parody of the American Gothic.
- Lord Poltergeist's calendar only had six days a week instead of seven.
- In the scene when SpongeBob says "Uh-oh. I don't like the sound of that!" Patrick blinks his eyes and his eyelids are pink instead of purple.
- In one recent airing of this episode, the second part never began. Instead, Squidward the Unfriendly Ghost aired.
- Head gaskets are often within and underneath the manifold of a car's engine. Mr. Krabs would have an increasingly difficult time trying to remove one rather than just opening the hood of a car and pulling it out.