- Gary the Snail
- Monica (name revealed)
- Blue Pirate
- SpongeBob SquarePants
- Mable (cameo)
- Mable's Snail (debut)
- Dave's Snail
- Dave (cameo)
- Male Judge
- Norma Rechid (cameo)
- Mary the Snail (debut)
- Mary's Ex-boyfriend
- Monica the Anchovy
- Bully Snail (debut)
- Dan the Orange Snail (debut)
- Jimmy Gus
- Jimmy Gus' Snails (debut)
- Fred's Snail (debut)
- Elderly Snail (debut)
- Mrs. Squiggles
- Abigail Marge
- Abigail Marge's Snail (debut)
- Harold's Snail (debut)
- Shubie's Snails (debut)
- Dennis' Snails (debut)
- Nat Peterson
- Nat's Snail (debut)
- French Poodle Worms
- Miss Shell
- Archie's Snail (debut)
- Dennis' Worm (debut)
- Kenney the Worm
- Thaddeus' Worm (debut)
- Scooter's Snail (debut)
- Evelyn's Snail (debut)
- Francis' Snail (debut)
- Lloyd-Rich's Snail (debut)
- Harold "Bill" Reginald
- French Narrator
- Frankie Billy
- Billy the Snail (debut)
- Other Snails
One day, SpongeBob takes Gary to a snail park where Gary falls in love with a sea snail named Mary. Then, Mary's ex-boyfriend threatens Gary but Mary ignores him and falls in love with Gary, which angers the other snail and leads him to telling Gary, "When I'm done with you, your doctor will not know where to sow your lips back on." Then, SpongeBob comes and tells Gary they are leaving, along with Mary's owner.
The next day, Gary sneaks out of the house to find Mary. SpongeBob awakens to find a picture of Mary, which he thinks is Gary leading them to think that it is a ransom note from a snailnapper, so he sets out to "save" Gary.
Meanwhile, Gary stays onto a sidewalk with dozens of snail owners having a stroll. Then he sees Mary's owner going into a pet store and goes in. The clerk thinks he is a stray and puts him on sale. A few seconds later, Mary's ex-boyfriend and his friends ransack the store so that the clerk can tell him where Gary is. During the ransack, Gary escapes. The other snails see what appears to be Gary, only to find out it is a vicious poodle worm.
Gary then sees Mary but sees her in a boatmobile and jumps on top of other boats in order to find her. They succeed, but SpongeBob finally finds them, along with the other snail. Then, a man from a soap opera Gary was watching in the beginning finds Mary's owner, who turns out to be his lost love. Beside him is a handsome snail whom Mary gets together with, which SpongeBob says to Gary, "That's gotta hurt, Gary." The other snail forgives Gary and becomes friends with him by asking Gary if he wanted to go get seaweed noodle stew with him. The episode ends with SpongeBob saying, "They grow up so fast."
|( ‣ ) Associated production music|
|( • ) Original music|
|( ◦ ) SpongeBob music|
‣ Puka A - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [title card]
‣ Unknown Track 71 - Gary watching TV
‣ Unknown Track 34 - "Monica!"/"Brad!"
‣ You're Nice - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield ["Do you know what today is, little guy?"]
‣ Animal Antics [#74] - Phil Green [SpongeBob takes Gary for a walk in the park]
‣ Unknown Track 34 - Gary falls in love with another snail
‣ Bubble Poppin' Boys - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony ["Hey, lightweight, what do you think you're doing with my girl?"]
‣ Befuddled Gent - Phil Green [Mary ignores the bully snail]
‣ Bubble Poppin' Boys - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony [bully snail threatens Gary]
‣ Befuddled Gent - Phil Green ["Say goodbye to your friends, Gary!"]
‣ Bubble Poppin' Boys - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony ["Hey, this ain't over, runt!"]
‣ Alekoki - Kapono Beamer [that night]
‣ Drowsy Reef - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob goes to bed]
‣ Unknown Track 34 - Gary's dream
‣ Drama Link (h) - Hubert Clifford [Gary wanders out of the house]
‣ Hawaiian Link (a) - Richard Myhill [the next morning]
‣ Dancing the Hula - Kapono Beamer [SpongeBob wakes up]
‣ Dramatic Cue (e) - Ronald Hanmer [SpongeBob thinks Gary has been kidnapped]
‣ Befuddled Gent - Phil Green [Gary in the park]
‣ Bubble Poppin' Boys - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony ["After me, fellas."]
‣ Revolution - David Arnold, Paul Hart [SpongeBob looking for Gary]
‣ Harp Ding - Nicolas Carr ["Snail slime!"]
‣ Sneaking About - Phil Green ["Looks like it could be Gary's."]
‣ Short Bridge 3 - Harry Bluestone, Emil Cadkin ["I'm on the trail, Gary!"]
‣ Body in the Boot - Tony Kinsey [Gary is sad]
‣ First Sight of New York - Tony Kinsey [Mary's owner taking her for a walk]
‣ Quizzical Bridge 6 - Harry Bluestone, Emil Cadkin [Gary enters the pet store]
‣ Steel Licks - Jeremy Wakefield [Mary's owner leaves]
‣ Bubble Poppin' Boys - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony [snail gang enters/Pet store gets destroyed]
‣ Fierce Fight - Gerhard Trede [worm attacks them]
‣ Unknown Track 34 - Gary sees Mary
‣ Bubble Poppin' Boys - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony ["Where do you think you're going?!"]
‣ Adventurers - Larry Hochman [Gary launches himself into the air]
‣ Vibe Sting - Nicolas Carr [Gary lands on a driver]
‣ Drama Link (d) - Hubert Clifford [driver screams]
‣ Attack - Tony Hymas [Gary jumps off]
‣ Unknown Track 34 - romantic music
‣ Sneaking About - Phillip Green [SpongeBob still following the trail]
‣ Unknown Track 34 - "Gary!"
‣ Nude Sting - Nicolas Carr ["What the...?"]
‣ Cellar Search - Philippe Pares ["Hold it right there!"]
‣ Steel Licks - Jeremy Wakefield [Gary admits he wandered out of the house]
‣ Unknown Track 34 - "Oh, I see why."
‣ Unknown Track 71 - "This ain't over yet, runt!"
‣ Unknown Track 34 - "Monica!"/"Brad!"
‣ Tension Bits - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Gary and bully snail growl at each other]
‣ Unknown Track 34 - Monica and Brad leave
‣ Steel Licks - Jeremy Wakefield ["That's got to hurt, buddy."]
‣ Puka B - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [ending]
- This episode is available on the SpongeBob's Frozen Face-Off (UK version only) and Complete Seventh Season DVDs.
- As of August 19, 2016, The Internet Movie Database (IMDB) gives this episode a rating of 4.1/10 based on 225 ratings by users. TV.com users give this episode a rating of 6.3/10 based on 149 votes.
- It is revealed that the lady on TV and in Bikini Bottom was called Monica.
- There is an online game based on this episode called Gary's Crush.
- This episode marks the first appearance of the Pet Store and Snail Park.
- When Gary enters the pet store, if one looks at the door while it is open, they can see a snail passing by that looks exactly like Gary, being walked.
- When the snails are screaming, one of them sounds oddly like Patrick.
- When "Plankton's Pet" first premiered, it was paired up with this episode.
- This episode marks the second time Gary falls in love. The first was in "The Great Snail Race."
- This and "Love That Squid" are both romance-themed episodes in season 7 and aired near Valentine's Day.
- This is the third Valentine's Day-themed episode of the series. The first was "Valentine's Day" and the second was "Krusty Love."
- This episode marks the fifth time that a snail speaks. The first was in "Sleepy Time," the second was in "The Secret Box," the third was in The SpongeBob SquarePants Movie, and the fourth was in "Have You Seen This Snail?"
- This episode and "Squid Baby" both end with SpongeBob saying "They grow up so fast."
- To date, this episode makes Sandy Cheeks the only main character to not to fall in love in any episode.
- When Mary's ex-boyfriend announces to the giggling snails that they are on "the list," it is a possible reference to Richard Nixon's infamous enemies list.
- When Gary leaves the house to look for Mary in one shot, the lights are off then on. It is impossible for that to happen since Gary had never been shown to turn on the lights.
- When Gary leaves the house, the door is open, but in the next scene, the door is seen closed.
- Monica looks different at the end and in the beginning.