This article is in need of cleanup in order to comply with Encyclopedia SpongeBobia's Manual of Style. Please help this Wiki by making this article clean and tidy!
- SpongeBob SquarePants
- SpongeBob's alarm clock (debut as a character)
- Gary the Snail
- Patrick Star
- Squidward Tentacles (picture only)
- Paco (cameo)
- Jimmy Gus (cameo)
- Abigail Marge (cameo)
- Sheldon J. Plankton (only on the bench)
- Fire Fish (cameo)
The morning starts off with SpongeBob waking up to his alarm clock acting strangely. It eventually breaks apart and SpongeBob notices the clock has been chewed on and assumes Gary is to blame. SpongeBob uses tape to fix it, though it just falls backwards. SpongeBob then jumps off his bed and into his slippers, but Gary has chewed on them as well. SpongeBob then goes to brush his teeth, but when he pulls out his toothbrush, Gary is on the other end chewing on it.
SpongeBob tries to pull it away from him but no success. SpongeBob then tickles Gary which makes him finally let go of the toothbrush, but then he starts to chew on his toothpaste instead. SpongeBob is wondering if Gary is teething again (as milk goes through his bowl of cereal) and then Gary starts chewing on the table. SpongeBob then decides to buy Gary a chew toy.
SpongeBob and Gary are at the Pet Store looking to pick out which chew toy to get. They meet up with Patrick who is having some "free samples" (which he punches a hole open in the worm food and starts to eat it). SpongeBob tells Patrick that he is there to buy Gary a new toy and Patrick tells them that it's on an aisle next to the "most delicious snail treats." They walk over to a stand that says "Tasty Time Snail Treats" with the toy aisle right next to it. Patrick eats at the stand while SpongeBob and Gary browse for a new toy. SpongeBob picks out a bone, but Gary bites right through it.
SpongeBob takes out a toy fire hydrant, but Gary bites onto the end causing water to spray onto SpongeBob's face. Patrick then points out the "Pet Point 3000" with SpongeBob interested, but not so much with Gary, who crawls away. Patrick then starts to play with the toy, but ends up getting the laser through his head and his brain pops out (which SpongeBob then puts back in). Gary then notices a shiny red ball and loves it and SpongeBob decides to buy it.
Back at SpongeBob's house, SpongeBob and Gary are playing with Gary's new toy ball. SpongeBob asks for Gary to bring it back, but notices he is constantly chewing on it. SpongeBob walks off, happy that Gary isn't chewing on his stuff. SpongeBob notices that he hasn't heard Gary squeaking with the toy in awhile and starts to look for him. He then finds Gary having a tea party with his red ball. SpongeBob tries to join in, but Gary takes out a stroller, puts the red ball in it, then crawls away.
SpongeBob, thinking Gary loves the red ball more than him, decides to lure him out with snail food. He goes into the garage and notices Gary with lipstick, which he finds creepy, SpongeBob tells Gary that he needs to spend some time away from that ball, but Gary hits the garage door button, causing SpongeBob to be lifted up and crushed on the ceiling.
SpongeBob gets fed up with Gary's behavior lately and demands him to hand over the ball. SpongeBob hears from Gary that he has hidden it, but SpongeBob is suspicious as Gary is crawling away. SpongeBob grabs Gary and opens up his shell to pull out three hairballs and his wallet. He reaches back into the shell and eventually finds the ball.
SpongeBob then puts the ball on a high dresser and starts to go to sleep telling Gary that he will be sick of the ball by the next morning. The red ball glows an ominous red which causes Gary's eyes to turn red as well. The next morning, SpongeBob wakes up and notices Gary and the red ball are gone. He starts to look for them and eventually finds Gary chewing on the ball on the ceiling. SpongeBob asks Gary to come down, but Gary does not budge. SpongeBob then walks on the ceiling to get him, but falls down.
He then tries to use a broom, but ends up knocking his own eyes out of his head. SpongeBob eventually scrapes Gary down and tries to grab the ball, but Gary bites him. SpongeBob is shocked and tells Gary to make a choice: him or the ball. Gary is chewing on the red ball and SpongeBob leaves.
Gary is watching television, but then gets hungry and looks for SpongeBob to feed him. He then remembers SpongeBob saying he is leaving. Gary knows what is best and tries to go and find SpongeBob, but the ball stops him. The ball then starts bouncing everywhere destroying everything and Gary is trying to get out of the house.
He makes it outside and SpongeBob is laying under a bus bench, still sad about Gary's choice. He then notices Gary on the bus bench, happy that Gary decided to choose him. SpongeBob's house explodes and is set on fire and the red ball flies out beside them with SpongeBob saying, "Hey look, isn't that your ball?" Gary viciously hisses at it as the episode ends.
|( ‣ ) Associated production music|
|( • ) Original music|
|( ◦ ) SpongeBob music|
‣ Unknown Track 2 - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [title card]
‣ Hot Steel and Slide Licks (p) - Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob's alarm clock coughs]
‣ Vibe Q Sting - Nicolas Carr ["Hmm..."]
‣ Unknown Track 1 - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob tapes up his alarm clock]
‣ Cartoon Sting 4 - hole in SpongeBob's cereal bowl
‣ Cocksure Capers - Phil Green [at the pet store]
‣ Hop and Skip - Phil Green [wall of toys]
‣ Shellfish Behavior - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield ["Look, a red dot!"]
‣ Vibe Sting - Nicolas Carr ["Where is Gary anyway?"]
‣ Parting of the Clouds - Nicolas Carr [Gary sees a red ball]
‣ Fanfare (b) - Nicolas Carr [Gary sees a red ball]
‣ Hop and Skip - Phil Green [Gary slithers up to the red ball]
‣ Tentically Speaking - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob and Gary come home]
‣ Mini Skirt - Norman Dane [SpongeBob watching TV]
‣ Cartoon Sting 9 - Barry Anthony [SpongeBob looking for Gary]
‣ Spindlelegs - Cedric King-Palmer [tea party]
‣ Hot Steel and Slide Licks (e) - Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob drinks tea]
‣ Me for You - George Callert [SpongeBob opens a can of snail food]
‣ Hot Steel and Slide Licks (r) - Jeremy Wakefield ["Darn it, Gary!"]
‣ Creeping Up 29 - Harry Bluestone, Emil Cadkin [Gary with lipstick]
‣ Hot Steel and Slide Licks (s) - Jeremy Wakefield [Gary takes the ball, leaves]
‣ The Donut Dilemma - Nicolas Carr [SpongeBob searches Gary's shell for the ball]
‣ Drama Sting 3 - Steve Marston [Gary stares at the ball]
‣ Cartoon Sting 5 - SpongeBob wakes up
‣ Fates [#61] - Gregor F. Narholz [Gary bites SpongeBob]
‣ Unknown Track 56 - Gary watching TV
‣ Tension Bits - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Gary looking for SpongeBob]
‣ Fates [#62] - Gregor F. Narholz [Gary remembers SpongeBob leaving]
‣ Danger HQ - Norman Dane [Gary glares at the ball]
‣ Battle Zone - Harry Bluestone, Emil Cadkin [Gary puts the ball in a blender]
‣ Saltwater Works - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob under a bus stop]
‣ Unknown Track 2 - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob hugs Gary]
‣ Drama Link (d) - Hubert Clifford [ending]
- This episode was released on iTunes on October 27, 2012.
- This episode is available on the Heroes in Action, Glove World Forever! and The Complete Ninth Season DVDs.
- As of November 1, 2016, The Internet Movie Database (IMDB) gives this episode a rating of 7.7/10 based on 75 ratings by users. TV.com users give this episode a 7.1/10 based on 32 votes.
- This episode has a similar plot to "Treats!" and "Gary Takes a Bath." However, this may be due to the fact both episodes focus on Gary.
- Patrick is shown eating pet food. This may be because starfish are bottom feeders.
- Gary hissing at the end with thick eyebrows alludes to Lary, from the episode "Dumped."
- Gary's ball appears in the title card between New and Toy.
- This episode takes place before "Dumped" because in this episode, Patrick doesn't know Gary as much in this episode than "Dumped".
- This takes place before "The Great Snail Race" because SpongeBob talks about Patrick not having a pet.
- This episode shows that Gary understands SpongeBob's language as gibberish, but still knows what he is saying just as SpongeBob understands Gary's "meows."
- This could mean that in Bikini Bottom, fish are what pets are to them, and pets are what fish are to them.
- SpongeBob also used the quote "Outta sight, outta mind" in "Fungus Among Us."
- Gary remembering SpongeBob leaving and speaking gibberish is similar to how Patrick listens to SpongeBob in "The Card" and "The Main Drain."
- This episode confirms that Plankton's number is 1-800-EAT-CHUM, which could also be shortened to 328-2486.
- When calling 1-800-EAT-CHUM, it directs one to a Toyota sales place.
- When SpongeBob asks what tea Gary is drinking, he mentions various teas, such as green tea, oolong, Earl Grey, and slippery elm.
- This episode reveals that Gary has some canine instincts.
- Running Gags: Gary chewing on SpongeBob's household items; SpongeBob losing his wallet and talking about his canceled credit cards; SpongeBob's alarm clock breaking down every time when it rings.
- This was the only Season 9 episode not to be in HD until it got paired up with "Patrick-Man."
- This was the only episode that writer Marc Ceccarelli worked on without Luke Brookshier.
- The only main characters in this episode are SpongeBob, Gary, and Patrick. Although, Plankton does appear as a picture on a bus bench and Squidward appears in a photo at SpongeBob's house.
- This is the second time when Gary bites SpongeBob, and he replies "Gary, how could you?" The first time was in "Once Bitten."
- Before the tea party scene, a picture of Squidward is briefly seen.
- This episode premiered seven years after "Enemy In-Law" premiered and four years after "SpongeBob's WhoBob WhatPants?" was released.
- This episode premiered in Canada on Johnny Knoxville's 42nd birthday and eight years after The SpongeBob SquarePants Movie was released in Austria.
- List of items in SpongeBob's house that Gary has chewed:
- SpongeBob's alarm clock
- Bunny slippers
- A tooth brush
- A tube of toothpaste
- A bowl
- The ball that holds up SpongeBob's kitchen table
- When the Pet Point 3000 is first activated in the store, the sound effect is from Defender.
- In the captioning, it says Gary is grunting while he is really meowing.
- When the ball hits Gary, he gets a black eye. When he puts the ball in the blender, he does not have a black eye.
- In this episode Gary hears SpongeBob in gibberish, but in "Have You Seen This Snail?," he hears words (revealed when Gary looks at the picture of SpongeBob).
- It's possible, however, that he wasn't really listening this time.
- When Gary is asked if he has eaten the bowl, he says "meow." But in the captions, he says "No."
- On the June 8, 2014 airing of this episode, it was not shown in HD on Nick east HD channel.
- SpongeBob's chewed up alarm clock floats instead of falls down at the beginning.
- The top of SpongeBob's house was not present when the Fire Fish put the house out.
- It's possible that it burned off.
|Awards and nominations for SpongeBob SquarePants (V • E)
Golden Reel Awards