"Frozen Face-Off" is a SpongeBob SquarePants episode from season eight. In this episode, everyone in Bikini Bottom is participating in a worm-sled race to win one million dollars.
Johnny Erain and Perch Perkins announces on the news that a sled race is occurring in Bikini Bottom with the prize being one million dollars and that all of Bikini Bottom has entered. Patrick says that he hopes he wins but only has gummy worms that lead his sled. Mr. Krabs, Plankton, Squidward, SpongeBob, and Sandy also prepare for the race. However, Plankton sneaks off to the Krusty Krab just before the race begins and uses a robot as his replacement in the race. Patrick soon catches up to SpongeBob and he agrees to let Patrick come along, much to Gary's dismay. Meanwhile, at the Krusty Krab, Plankton has trouble opening the safe of the Secret Formula.
Back in the race, Sandy's sled crashes and Squidward's worm stops racing. Squidward gets angry and goes on foot, only to fall through the ice and freeze. He is soon discovered by SpongeBob and Patrick, who take him along with them. Shortly after, they find Sandy in a pile of snow and they bring her along too. Mr. Krabs' worms become hungry, and they get mad and chase Mr. Krabs. SpongeBob lets Mr. Krabs come along as well. The worms chase SpongeBob and the gang, and Gary has trouble pulling all of them. They are cornered at a dead end and Gary roars like a lion to scare the worms away.
The gang decides to stop there and make a fire. Squidward thaws, just before encountering The Abominable Snow Mollusk who tries to attack the group. Squidward runs away and jumps into a cold body of water which freezes him again. The group (minus Squidward) continue the race and realize that they forgot Squidward soon after. They go after him and save him from the Snow Mollusk with the help of Patrick's last gummy worm. They continue on and Sandy realizes that Mr. Krabs has betrayed the group and gone off on his own so that he could win the prize himself, but got stung by a jellyfish that went into his mouth in the process.
Patrick then points out that he "saw something shiny" and SpongeBob notices that it is Karen. They also discover robot Plankton who is buried in the snow and Karen explains that the whole race was a plot for him to steal the Krabby Patty secret formula from the Krusty Krab undetected. SpongeBob and the group go southwest to find Mr. Krabs. Gary is unable to go any further.
Back at the Krusty Krab, the real Plankton fails to break open the Secret Formula safe yet again. Frustrated, Plankton proceeds to rip an "atom" in half which causes a nuclear explosion, destroying the Krusty Krab and opening the safe. Meanwhile, SpongeBob pulls the sled until they find a frozen Mr, Krabs, whom they inform about what Plankton is doing. All of them, except Sandy, freeze. Sandy saves their lives by starting a fire with parts from the sled. Sandy figures out how to use the members of the group as a substitute sled. They return to Bikini Bottom to see that the Krusty Krab has been destroyed and Plankton has stolen the formula. However, he cannot get the bottle open. The group finds Plankton trying to open it. An angered Karen zaps Plankton. When Plankton expresses his frustration at not being able to open the bottle, Patrick opens the bottle, allowing Plankton to finally take the formula out.
Plankton then pretends to surrender and uses a pen to fly away out of the Chum Bucket. The group chases Plankton into a net trap that Plankton trapped them in. However, the Snow Mollusk returns and eats Patrick's Jelly Beans, then hugs the little pink sea star. Plankton escapes but the Snow Mollusk mistakes him for a jelly bean and eats him, returning the formula to Mr. Krabs with Karen showing no sympathy for Plankton. The episode ends as Plankton waits to be digested.
The production name for this episode was "The Great Sleigh Race," as seen on some of the original character storyboards on Facebook. To take a look, click here. It may have been possible that they changed the name because it sounded too similar to "The Great Snail Race."
|( ‣ ) Associated production music|
|( • ) Original music|
|( ◦ ) SpongeBob music|
‣ Unknown Track 3 - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [title card]
‣ Bikini Bottom News Theme - Nicolas Carr [breaking news]
‣ Jubilee Sports - Dennis Berry, Stuart Crombie [contestants lined up]
‣ Steel Sting - Jeremy Wakefield ["Best of luck to you."]
‣ ? [Plankton sneaking away]
‣ Mr. Swashbuckle - James McConnel [race begins]
‣ Lap Steel - Nicolas Carr ["Meanwhile, back in the lowlands..."]
‣ Down in Davy Jones' Locker - Nicolas Carr [Plankton at the Krusty Krab]
‣ Chasing Dragons - Assaf Rinde [race continues]
‣ Unknown Track 35 - Pat Irwin [Plankton sneaks into Krabs' office]
‣ Mad Street - James McConnel [Sandy's remote shorts out/"I don't have time for this!"]
‣ Unknown Track 35 - Pat Irwin ["Wow, look at that!"]
‣ Steel Sting (f) - Jeremy Wakefield ["He doesn't look so hot."]
‣ Unknown Track 35 - Pat Irwin [Patrick throws Squidward into the sleigh]
‣ Vibe Sting - Nicolas Carr ["Patrick, did you hear that?"]
‣ Steel Sting (b) - Jeremy Wakefield [Sandy emerges from the snow]
‣ Sailor's Sting 13 - Michael Bolger, Nicolas Carr ["Sniff out the money, little guys."]
‣ From the Dead - Ronald Hanmer [worms growl at Krabs]
‣ ? [worms chasing Krabs]
‣ Steel Sting (a) - Jeremy Wakefield [Gary scares away the worms]
‣ Heroes to the Rescue - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony [everyone cheers]
‣ Murder Scene 2 - Harry Bluestone, Emil Cadkin [avalanche]
‣ Goofy Conversation - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony [everyone gathered around a fire]
‣ Fruity Flute - Harry Bluestone [Gary retreats into his shell]
‣ Goofy Conversation - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony [Mr. Krabs' lips shatter off.]
‣ Harp Ding - Nicolas Carr [SpongeBob gets an idea]
‣ Goofy Conversation - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony ["Hey, how about a campfire song?"]
‣ Vibe Q Sting - Nicolas Carr ["This isn't mine."]
‣ Monster Bug (a) - Gregor F. Narholz [abominable snow mollusk appears]
‣ The Creature (a) - Gregor F. Narholz [snow mollusk shoots snowballs]
‣ Steel Licks (c) - Jeremy Wakefield [Squidward frozen again]
‣ The Creature (c) - Gregor F. Narholz ["She's reloading."]
‣ Gargantuan - Harry Lubin [Krabs explains]
‣ A Pirate's Life for Me (a) - Ron Goodwin [flashback to Krabs as a sea captain]
‣ Gargantuan - Harry Lubin [snow mollusk appears]
‣ Dramatic Encounter - Gregor F. Narholz [snow mollusk eats Krabs and crew]
‣ Cloak and Dagger [#70] - Phil Green ["Weren't bravery that got us out."]
‣ Vibe Sting - Nicolas Carr ["Hmm? Oh!"]
‣ Steel Sting - Jeremy Wakefield ["Ew!"]
‣ The Creature (a) - Gregor F. Narholz [they escape from the snow mollusk]
‣ Tragic Bridge 4 - Phil Green [Squidward's missing]
‣ Touch the Skies - Barrie Hingley [they go back for Squidward]
‣ Attack of the Giant Robots - Cris Velasco [SpongeBob saves Squidward]
‣ Touch the Skies - Barrie Hingley [snow mollusk roars]
‣ Unknown Hawaiian Sting (c) - The Snow Mollusk eats the Gummy Worm
‣ The Silver Blade - Ilona Sekacz ["That was a close one, wasn't it, Mr. Krabs?"]
‣ The Drunken Sailor - Nicolas Carr [Krabs tries to sneak away]
‣ Heroes to the Rescue - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony ["Full speed ahead!"]
‣ Steel Sting (r) - Jeremy Wakefield ["What's the big emergency, Patrick?"]
‣ Closing the Door - Nicolas Carr [Karen frozen]
‣ Murder Scene 1 - Harry Bluestone, Emil Cadkin ["I'd say she's in swift need of a reboot."]
‣ Retro Cool 03 095 D - Steve Sechi [Sandy karate kicks Karen]
‣ Zoom (d) - Dick de Benedictis ["You can't stand a chance, Krabs."]
‣ Evil Mind 4 - Dick De Benedictis ["You can't stand a chance, Krabs."]
‣ Horror Strike [#45] - Harry Bluestone, Emil Cadkin [broken robot]
‣ Imminent Action - Harry Bluestone, Emil Cadkin [Karen says the race was devised by Plankton]
‣ The Silver Blade - Ilona Sekacz [they head southwest]
‣ Mission Improbable - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony [Plankton uses a flamethrower to open the safe]
‣ Unknown Track 35 - Pat Irwin ["So the safe is impervious to flame, eh?"]
‣ Crescendo Fin 10 A - Marcin Pospieszalski ["I meant destructive!"]
‣ Accusation - Gerhard Trede [Gary struggling up a mountain]
‣ Vibe Sting - Nicolas Carr [Gary stops]
‣ Sword Fight - Harry Bluestone, Emil Cadkin [sleigh goes downhill]
‣ Shark Attack (a) - John Charles Fiddy [snow mollusk reappears]
‣ Unknown Track 35 - Pat Irwin [Plankton uses dynamite to open the safe]
‣ Agitation Bridge 3 - Phil Green ["All right, fellas, I know it's cold."]
‣ Tragic Bridge 2 - Phil Green ["You said it, SpongeBob."]
‣ Steel Licks (d) - Jeremy Wakefield [jelly beans]
‣ Tragic Situation - Phil Green [Gary shivering]
‣ High Hazard - Philippe Pares ["We must be headed in the right direction."]
‣ Attack - Tony Hymas [Plankton flying a rocket]
‣ Steel Sting (o) - Jeremy Wakefield ["Perhaps I misjudged the scale on that one."]
‣ Dramatic Bridge 4 - Phil Green ["I will spill your contents even if I have to tear you apart!"]
‣ Steel Licks (c) - Jeremy Wakefield [Krusty Krab destroyed]
‣ Parting of the Clouds - Nicolas Carr ["Come to papa!"]
‣ Accusation - Gerhard Trede [SpongeBob pulling the sleigh]
‣ Tragic Situation - Phil Green [Krabs frozen]
‣ Animal Antics [#45] - Phil Green [Sandy burning wood from the sleigh]
‣ ? - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony [Squidward playing clarinet]
‣ Thrill Ride - Gregor F. Narholz [one frozen wasteland later]
‣ Steel Licks (c) - Jeremy Wakefield ["Perhaps over there."]
‣ Dramatic Cue (e) - Ronald Hanmer [Chum Bucket serving Krabby Patties]
‣ Cartoon Sting 1 - "Whoa, whoa, whoa! You can't cut in line!"
‣ Unknown Track 12 - Plankton struggling to open the bottle
‣ Dramatic Impact 6 - Ivor Slaney [Patrick opens the bottle]
‣ Cartoon Sting 1 - Karen zaps Plankton
‣ Unknown Track 3 - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [everyone chases Plankton]
‣ Long Distance Mission [#20] - Phil Green [Plankton traps everyone in a giant fryer]
‣ The Creature (a) - Gregor F. Narholz [snow mollusk returns]
‣ Unknown Track 1 - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [The abominable snow mollusk likes Patrick's jelly beans.]
‣ Unknown Track 2 - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Ending]
- As of September 30, 2017, The Internet Movie Database (IMDB) gives this episode a rating of 8.3/10 based on 50 ratings by users. TV.com users give this episode a rating of 8.7/10 based on 92 votes.
- Meanwhile, Back In The Lowlands...
- One Frozen Wasteland later...
- The Frozen Tundra reappears in the Nick.com point-and-click games SpongeBob's Big Adventures and SpongeBob's Next Big Adventures.
- This marks the 300th episode segment of the series.
- The title card (and most of the episode) is winter-themed, although this episode premiered in mid-summer in the Northern Hemisphere.
- There are 18 snowflakes on the title card.
- The original title was "The Great Sleigh Race."
- The title card background for this episode is similar to that of "Survival of the Idiots."
- Johnny Elaine said that everyone in Bikini Bottom entered; however, Fred didn't and there were people waiting at the Chum Bucket for a Krabby Patty. Maybe it's because they finished the race and realized there were no winnings. It could also be because that he could've been talking figuratively.
- Squidward's outfit resembles those worn in Russia during winter.
- When the campfire was first made, the main characters' winter clothes came back to their normal clothes for the rest of the episode.
- SpongeBob mentions the "Campfire Song Song" and Squidward reacts annoyed again. This breaks the fourth wall, as SpongeBob references a previous episode.
- This episode was promoted as "SpongeBob's Frozen Face-Off." The DVD cover still has this title.
- When this episode was first advertised, the original plot was that Bikini Bottom became the coldest place on Earth, and SpongeBob and the gang would race for survival.
- This is the second episode that had a plot change occur between airing and advertisements, the first being "Truth or Square."
- This is the second episode where Gary roars like a lion, the first being "Your Shoe's Untied" to talk to SpongeBob. This time he roars like a lion to frighten off vicious worms.
- This is the second appearance of claymation in the series. The first being the SpongeBob SquarePants Theme Song for "Truth or Square."
- This is the third episode where an Atomic Bomb explosion is shown. The first is "Dying for Pie" and the second is "The Krusty Plate."
- Running gag: Squidward running into frozen water and becoming frozen in an ice block.
- The fighter jet that Plankton flies resembles the real life Lockheed Martin F-16 Fighting Falcon. The F-16 was first manufactured by General Dynamics, the same company that created the F-111, and later by Lockheed Martin. Today, the F-16 is used by the US Air Force and its export customers such as Israel.
- Plankton couldn't open the Krabby Patty secret formula bottle because he couldn't get the cork off with his hands. However, in "Plankton's Army" and "Bucket Sweet Bucket," he is shown getting the cork off by using a corkscrew. It's possible that he lost the corkscrew or he forgot about it.
- In Indonesia, "One Frozen Wasteland Later" time card was changed to "Satu Menit Kemudian" (One Minute Later).
- It is unknown where the finish line was or if there even was a finish line.
- This episode takes place after "Perfect Chemistry" because Karen and Sandy met in that episode.
- This episode premiered in Canada four years after "The Krusty Sponge" and "Squid Wood" premiered.
- This episode takes place after "Christmas Who?" because Mr. Krabs mentions Santa Claus.
- When Plankton rips an atom, he is basically ripping off protons and neutrons from the atom. Such acts can cause an atomic explosion to occur, as done in this episode.
- The plot of Plankton keeping everyone busy in a race, so he can easily get the Krabby Patty secret formula, is similar to this of Baytona 500.
- One of the fish in line for the Chum Bucket yell at Mr. Krabs, Sandy, Karen, SpongeBob, Gary, Squidward and Patrick when they ambush Plankton: "We've been waiting for Krabby Patties for three stinking days!" - this is a reference to the Orcs in "The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers."
- The Abominable Snow Mollusk's name is a reference to a Yeti, which is also called, "Abominable Snowman."
- The Abominable Snow Mollusk is, or at least its actions to the Mr. Krabs' ship were, a reference to the myths of Krakens. A Kraken was shown in "Grandpappy the Pirate."
- Fred appears as a cameraman on television and then is shown sleeping in his house.
- When Patrick opens the Krabby Patty formula, everyone but Plankton and Patrick, including Karen, yell "Patrick!," though Karen was on Plankton's side and was hoping for him to steal the formula. However, maybe since Karen was really mad at Plankton for letting her freeze, that she didn't want him to get the formula.
- When Plankton performs an atomic bomb explosion the safe broke, however, it doesn't kill him.
- When SpongeBob says "She loves your jellybeans Patrick!," Sandy's boots are white instead of gray.
- When the parachute falls onto Plankton, his mouth is missing for a split second.