"Food Con Castaways" is a SpongeBob SquarePants episode from season nine. In this episode, the gang heads to a food convention, but things go awry when they get lost in the woods.
The episode opens at the Krusty Krab with a bored Squidward blowing a bunch of paper from straws onto a stack. Mr. Krabs suddenly busts into the Krusty Krab and announces that tomorrow is Food Con. SpongeBob asks what it is and Mr. Krabs replies that it is an event where cooks and chefs battle for the top prize: the Golden Cornucopia. Mr. Krabs plans to win with the Krabby Patty and decides to take SpongeBob and Squidward with him and even Patrick needing the extra muscle. Mr. Krabs leads everyone to his car and shows that he has a bunch of Krabby Patties packed in a trailer to sell at the event. SpongeBob and Patrick are excited to be going on a road trip with Squidward being the only one not too thrilled to go.
Sometime later, Mr. Krabs drives everyone out of Bikini Bottom and SpongeBob and Patrick are playing "I Spy" where they are constantly "spying" Mr. Krabs. Mr. Krabs quiets them, but then they start to see a bunch of billboards. Mr. Krabs and Squidward both reject stopping to see what the billboards were advertising with Mr. Krabs saying they're not stopping until Food Con. Later, SpongeBob and Patrick are signaling to truck drivers to blow their horns which wakes Squidward at both times. SpongeBob asks Squidward to do it and when Squidward does, he gets exhaust blown on his face. Patrick tells Squidward he did it wrong but Squidward says he did the exact same thing he and SpongeBob did. An annoyed Mr. Krabs tells everyone to be quiet until they make it to Food Con and doesn't want to hear another peep. SpongeBob suddenly starts saying "Peep" which he was trying to warn Mr. Krabs of Peep's Cliff. Mr. Krabs drives down the cliff and everyone ends up going through a dam and a tornado until they end up in a desert. The boat breaks apart and Patrick ends up eating nearly every Krabby Patty except one. Mr. Krabs is still determined to make it to Food Con and has SpongeBob and Patrick haul the trailer.
The French Narrator begins to speak as SpongeBob and Patrick begin to pull the trailer with Mr. Krabs and Squidward on it. They go through the desert and up a snowy mountain until they make it to a forest. SpongeBob and Patrick are worn out from the trip. Squidward advises to Mr. Krabs that they stop for the night since SpongeBob and Patrick are in no condition to continue. Later, the four of them are around a fire frightened by the creatures in the forest. SpongeBob tells everyone that they must guard the last Krabby Patty, but a small snail comes out of the woods. Unfortunately, it transforms into a large, winged monster that grabs the Krabby Patty and flies off. Mr. Krabs then tosses Squidward at the Krabby Patty knocking it out of the monster's claws. The monster takes a bite out of Squidward but spits him out in disgust. SpongeBob grabs the Krabby Patty while Squidward lands on his face.
More time later, Patrick, Squidward, and Mr. Krabs are showing signs of hunger and think about eating the Krabby Patty. SpongeBob tries to get everyone not to eat the Krabby Patty but the others only care for eating it now. Patrick nearly eats the Krabby Patty by tricking SpongeBob but his plan fails. Squidward then tries to put SpongeBob to sleep with his clarinet, but the Snail Monster returns and grabs Squidward by his head. It then drops Squidward on his face and he comments "Everybody's a critic." Mr. Krabs' turn to trick SpongeBob as he created a safe to put the Krabby Patty in. However, the other side of the safe leads into Mr. Krabs' mouth and SpongeBob backs him away. SpongeBob then offers everyone a solution: Nature Patties. Only Patrick seems to enjoy these patties while Squidward and Mr. Krab show great disgust for them. Having enough, Mr. Krabs, Squidward, and Patrick all decide to chase SpongeBob down to get to the Krabby Patty.
SpongeBob manages to outrun them and fight his own urges to eat it and makes it to Food Con. However, Mr. Krabs, Squidward, and Patrick are still chasing him for the Krabby Patty and SpongeBob makes it inside. SpongeBob hands over the Krabby Patty to the Mayor, but upon closer inspection, it's actually one of the Nature Patties from before. Patrick somehow switched the real Krabby Patty with the fake one and eats it. Fortunately, the Mayor ends up enjoying the Nature Patty and rewards the Golden Corncupia to the Krusty Krab. Everyone cheers, but Squidward gets more exhaust blown in his face. Then, the episode ends.
Vincent Waller confirmed this episode on Twitter on May 17, 2016. On June 10, 2016, he posted an image of the episode from his Twitter.
|( ‣ ) Associated production music|
|( • ) Original music|
|( ◦ ) SpongeBob music|
‣ Vacation (a) - Kapono Beamer, Mac Prindy [Title card]
‣ Adventurers - Larry Hochman [Mr. Krabs arrives at the Krusty Krab.]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks (p) - Jeremy Wakefield ["Another monotonous day I spend walking slow motion toward an empty horizon?"]
‣ Adventurers - Larry Hochman ["No, that's today. Tomorrow is Food Con!"]
‣ Vibe Q Sting - Nicolas Carr ["Wait. What's a Food Con?"]
‣ Adventurers - Larry Hochman [Krabs talks about Food Con.]
‣ Vibe Q Sting - Nicolas Carr ["Hmm..."]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks (a) - Jeremy Wakefield [Patrick lifts up the table.]
‣ The Jovial Buccaneers [#33.02] - John Fox ["As you can see, gentlemen, I have spared no expense on our transportation."]
‣ Nude Sting - Nicolas Carr ["Ta-da!"]
‣ Fanfare (b) - Nicolas Carr ["And I brought plenty of free samples!"]
‣ ? ["Road trip!"]
‣ Hot Steel and Slide Licks - Nicolas Carr [Squidward wipes soot from his face.]
‣ Twelfth Street Rag - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob and Patrick playing "I Spy".]
‣ Earl's Revenge - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Truck drivers honking horns.]
‣ Death of the Alien 2 [#40] - Harry Bluestone, Emil Cadkin [Krabs drives off a cliff.]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks (k) - Jeremy Wakefield [Krabs' car falls apart.]
‣ Tympup (a) - John Fiddy, Sammy Burdson [Trailer is empty of food.]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks (b) - Jeremy Wakefield [Patrick ate all the free samples.]
‣ Disastrous Event 2 - Harry Lubin [Everyone screams.]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks (u) - Jeremy Wakefield ["Yeah, hauling the trailer!"]
‣ Accusation - Gerhard Trede [SpongeBob and Patrick dragging the trailer along the road.]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks (i) - Jeremy Wakefield ["Mr. Krabs, we've got to stop for the night if you want SpongeBob and Patrick to live."]
‣ House of Horror - William Farran [SpongeBob, Patrick, Squidward, & Mr. Krabs sit around a campfire terrified.]
‣ Death of the Alien 1 [#39] - Harry Bluestone, Emil Cadkin [Snail monster roars.]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks (f) - Jeremy Wakefield ["Whoopee."]
‣ Unsettled Menace - Phil Green [Patrick, Squidward and Mr. Krabs are hungry.]
‣ V for Victory - Sam Fonteyn ["We can't do that!"]
‣ Victim 5 - Harry Lubin [Fire goes out.]
‣ Watch Out! - Dick Walter [Patrick tries to eat the patty.]
‣ The Creature (a) - Gregor Narholz [Snail monster kidnaps Squidward.]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks (h) - Jeremy Wakefield ["Everybody's a critic."]
‣ Sailor's Sting 23 - Mr. Krabs tries to cheat SpongeBob.
‣ Dramatic Cue (e) - Ronald Hanmer [Krabs orders SpongeBob to give him the patty.]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks (w) - Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob serves "nature patties".]
‣ Unknown Track 33 - Patrick, Squidward and Mr. Krabs struggling to eat the nature patties.
‣ The Fruitcake Vendor - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony ["Mr. Krabs, remember Food Con!"]
‣ Sponge Monger - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Krabs, Patrick and Squidward chase SpongeBob.]
‣ Creeping Up 29 - Harry Bluestone, Emil Cadkin ["Hey!"]
‣ Unease - Dick Walter [Patty talks to SpongeBob.]
‣ ? [Patty talks to SpongeBob.]
‣ Creeping Up 29 - Harry Bluestone, Emil Cadkin [SpongeBob almost eats the patty.]
‣ Flight in Panic 1 - Gregor Narholz [Patrick, Squidward and Krabs find SpongeBob.]
‣ Achievements in Aviation - Anthony Mawer [SpongeBob arrives at Food Con.]
‣ Sponge Monger - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Patrick, Krabs and Squidward chase SpongeBob again.]
‣ Film Fanfare (a) - Dick Walter ["And I hereby award the Golden Cornucopia to..."]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks (m) - Jeremy Wakefield ["What's this? A late entry?"]
‣ Break In - Harry Lubin [SpongeBob accidentally gives the judge a nature patty.]
‣ Vacation (a) - Kapono Beamer, Mac Prindy [Ending.]
- As of September 29, 2017, The Internet Movie Database (IMDB) gives this episode a rating of 8.7/10 based on 66 ratings by users. TV.com users give this episode a rating of 9.8/10 based on 7 votes.
- This episode takes place after "Just One Bite" because in that episode Squidward developed a love for Krabby Patties, and in this episode, he wanted to eat the last patty.
- Running gags: Squidward getting covered in ashes and the flying snail picking him up.
- The woods SpongeBob, Patrick, Mr. Krabs, and Squidward get stuck in are similar to the woods that the former two and the latter get stuck in in the episode "Club SpongeBob."
- This episode reveals that Herb and Margie Star fell in love at the World's Least Exciting Sweater.
- While in the desert, a wild snail howls like a coyote. Usually in the series, worms take place as canines and not snails.
- This episode is similar to "A SquarePants Family Vacation."
- This is the sixth time everyone cheers except for Squidward. The first was "Texas," the second was "Squid Wood," the third was "Slimy Dancing," the fourth was "Sponge-Cano!," and the fifth was "Sharks vs. Pods."
- This is the second time SpongeBob and others get lost in the woods. The first was in "Club SpongeBob."
- This is the second time Squidward tries using his clarinet to put SpongeBob asleep. The first time was in "Employee of the Month."
- This is the second time SpongeBob communicates with a Krabby Patty. The first was in "Fear of a Krabby Patty," however in that episode the interaction only occurred in a dream.
- This is the third time an underwater tornado appears. The first was in "Pizza Delivery" and the second was in "Pineapple Fever."
- This episode premiered on Tom Kenny's 54th birthday and 6 years after Triton's Revenge, "SpongeGod," and "The Story of King Neptune" were released.
- Just like in the episode "Frozen Face-Off," SpongeBob pulls a vehicle while the APM track Accusation plays.
- Technically, it was Mr. Krabs who caused the accident by not paying attention to the road, so he should have been hauling the trailer, not SpongeBob and Patrick.